Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frog Act posted:

so I'll be aight to keep going with my Silver Knight Straight Sword +5? I'm also trying to farm up a silver knight spear

Any weapon is viable, even with some of the dumb stuff they did to them in DS3, though some weapon arts are pretty imbalanced. I find I rarely use them in PvE or PvP, beyond parrying.

Although, pole weapons have some weapon arts that are pretty darn fun to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MrLonghair posted:

You know those HP-tank pain in the rear end horrible rear end in a top hat enemies that poo poo fireballs, throw fireballs, eat fireballs, spawn fireball orbs that shoot fireballs at you? They have a dropchance.

Other than there's a lizard in that same area, a corpse up by the crabs in that same subzone, a lizard later in the archives.

Great thanks!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I had a thought about what the Profaned Flame is, I think it's something to do with the Iron King's ever burning Iron Rod or whatever it was. Seeing as Yhorm himself is meant to evoke the Giant Lord and the Eloanora axe seems like it's talking about Daughters of the Abyss. Smouldering Lake also looks to me like an empty version of the Chamber of Old Chaos and you can find the Shield of Want there. Basically Yhorm's areas are actually the Profaned Capital, Smouldering Lake and the Catacombs of Carthus and something is going wrong with DS2 stuff which is why they're the way they are.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

something is going wrong with DS2

you can say that again XD

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frog Act posted:

so I'll be aight to keep going with my Silver Knight Straight Sword +5? I'm also trying to farm up a silver knight spear

You'll be fine. Maxing out your weapons is by no means necessary to beat the game.

Just had a quick peek at the wiki for ArchDragon Peak - how do people figure out how to get there? That's obscure as gently caress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I first saw the statue it had a bunch of "try emote" stuff in front of it. So when I got the Path of the Dragon emote later I figured it would do something if I went back there and used it.

Its not the first time the game has hidden an entire area behind something you need messages to figure out, though I could see someone figuring this out on their own. The two illusory walls blocking the Ash Tree in DS1 was way more obscure.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
epicnamebro figured it out blind because he is into obscure loving references and things

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Plus you get the Dragon Torso Stone there, which talks about dragon worshipers meditating to reach enlightenment or so forth. So presumably you'd get the item and wonder what the hell to do with it. Then later you'd pick up Path of the Dragon after stabbing Oceiros in the crotch enough times, and link that back to the folks meditating in the Dungeon or to the item which came from there and which spoke of the same thing.

It's definitely an obscure thing, but at least it's not actively obtuse like a bunch of the quest lines in DS3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So my second run through after completing the game is as a pyro. Some fights were ridiculously hard but I completely clowned the Abyss Watchers with fire orbs on my first try. That fight was one of the hardest for my melee build

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Frog Act posted:

Can I post about DS1 in this thread? I'm playing the series for the first time and I screwed up and killed Andre of Astora one night when I got really high and accidentally hit the trigger on my controller when I was done buying stuff.

Here is my current equipment: http://i.imgur.com/rKkdAEU.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fy3vJ0K.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Zidg79j.jpg

Here are the items I've ascended past +5 already: http://i.imgur.com/cyguABs.jpg

And here are my current stats: http://i.imgur.com/jrSlYk0.jpg

Currently at Ornstein and Smough as a level 68 Knight, medium roll, no spells, and I really don't wanna start over. I'll probably just buy DSII if I'm in an unfixable situation.

You can totally do it, but you will be a little limited in what weapons you can expect to get anywhere with. Upgrade the broadsword to +10 and lightning ascend it with the Giant Blacksmith, and you can definitely win the game with it as long as you keep upgrading it. You can also upgrade +5 to a fire/chaos weapon with the catacombs blacksmith, though you'll need to retrieve the appropriate embers from Demon Ruins first. The SKSS is definitely good enough to beat the game with too.

E: You might also be able to grab a pyro flame and start using that if you want, it doesn't require any stats besides a bit of attunement and can do absolutely crazy damage.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 27, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just beat DS1 again and only just now noticed that in the Dark Lord ending that the serpents refer to you as "Our Lord". I wish the games expanded on that.

The Kiln's still gorgeous too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beats DS2's pizza oven

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SynthOrange posted:

So my second run through after completing the game is as a pyro. Some fights were ridiculously hard but I completely clowned the Abyss Watchers with fire orbs on my first try. That fight was one of the hardest for my melee build

Yeah I did my second run as a pyro and after the initial hurdle of getting over not playing melee-focused, the game felt a lot easier (familiarity probably helped) - Nameless King is a lot easier with a ranged class than a guy who has to get up in his face to hit him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some fights felt more difficult though, those that I could previously just have meleed my way through. I wouldnt have expected the Crystal Sage to give me issues but I just poisoned him and hid in a corner til he died.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Last night I was being chain summoned for Aldrich. I started ng+ and now I'm getting the failed to be summoned message. Do I need to clear to a certain area or is this poo poo still broken?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat DS1 again and only just now noticed that in the Dark Lord ending that the serpents refer to you as "Our Lord". I wish the games expanded on that.

The Kiln's still gorgeous too.

yuria mentions kaathe by name, so I'd have to hope that the dlc will include something about the primordial serpents

they're the very last chance we'll get at expanding the lore behind dark souls

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder if they got the serpents to pose for those statues in the library. Their little arm-flaps are kind of hilarious.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I don't think either of those weapons are usable to a player.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

silver knights don't drop their weapons

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If I remember correctly, the silver knight sword in DS1 was a fantastic weapon and it's buffable too. You shouldn't have any problems with it at +5, since you don't need any of the blacksmiths to push twinkling titanite weapons past certain upgrade levels. Put some lightning resin on it and you should blow away bosses.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

silver knights don't drop their weapons

Guys he's playing ds1

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cyberventurer posted:

If I remember correctly, the silver knight sword in DS1 was a fantastic weapon and it's buffable too. You shouldn't have any problems with it at +5, since you don't need any of the blacksmiths to push twinkling titanite weapons past certain upgrade levels. Put some lightning resin on it and you should blow away bosses.

The silver knight sword and shield are both easy to level to +5 since the giant sells twinkling titanite from what I remember. Might take you some time to farm all the souls, but they're both great weapons.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
honestly silver knight cosplay is a solid build all around in DS1

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The tongue on the symbol of avarice has jiggle physics.

God drat I wish there was a way to wear it without it draining health.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

The tongue on the symbol of avarice has jiggle physics.

God drat I wish there was a way to wear it without it draining health.

ring of the sun princess, w/e the adjudicator's shield is called in this game, use a blessed weapon? idk if it's enough to counteract the health drain effect, but it'll definitely take the edge off

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm about 4 hours into my SL1 Lorian/Lothric attempts. At this point I can get to the second phase about half the time and keep improving. I haven't gotten to the part where you take out his life bar and go ham on Lothric but I've gotten close. A couple of the attacks when they are combined can one shot me, like the uppercut. One thing I'm having trouble with is, when he swings whichever way and I dodge right, how do I know when I can get two hits in vs. just one? Sometimes I'll just take one hit but I clearly had a longer window, whereas sometimes I'll take two, and out of those times, sometimes I can jump away in time and sometimes I can't. I'm using a astora sword for reference.

I'm also wondering which attacks you can simply strafe left on, which would let me get in more combos. I would guess the one where he slams the sword down resulting in another some fire or a wave of rubble would be in this category.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I'm about 4 hours into my SL1 Lorian/Lothric attempts. At this point I can get to the second phase about half the time and keep improving. I haven't gotten to the part where you take out his life bar and go ham on Lothric but I've gotten close. A couple of the attacks when they are combined can one shot me, like the uppercut. One thing I'm having trouble with is, when he swings whichever way and I dodge right, how do I know when I can get two hits in vs. just one? Sometimes I'll just take one hit but I clearly had a longer window, whereas sometimes I'll take two, and out of those times, sometimes I can jump away in time and sometimes I can't. I'm using a astora sword for reference.

I'm also wondering which attacks you can simply strafe left on, which would let me get in more combos. I would guess the one where he slams the sword down resulting in another some fire or a wave of rubble would be in this category.

while I don't actually have any valuable information to offer I would say the obvious, just go for 1 hit and play safe if you can do that every time, which from your description, you can. you're probably the most apt person to answer that question because you have 4 hours of studying already behind you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I did it at SL17 with a +3 Astora Sword, which probably balances out to being a similar difficulty: get exactly two hits in each attack. The real trick is to strafe to his right to bait out his anti-backstab swing, which is predictable and easy to dodge, and you should have enough time to get 2 hits in. Don't attempt to get cheeky and sneak in hits during his combos or drop/warp attacks; you need to hit him while he's doing an attack you can safely dodge or when he's idle and not about to do an attack you can't survive. Stacking defenses really helps too: appropriate armor, stoneplates and bug pellets can help turn a one-hit kill into a two-hit kill, which is really all you need. It only took me 3 attempts to beat them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is his sword attack physical, magic, or both? I'm running about 29 physical and 33 magic absorption with lloyd's shield ring and some of the gundyr armor

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Is his sword attack physical, magic, or both? I'm running about 29 physical and 33 magic absorption with lloyd's shield ring and some of the gundyr armor

Stack physical + fire defense. You should never be hit by Lothric's attacks. Wear Fallen Knight/Black Iron/etc. Also, it's not a bad idea to try blocking. Give a Black Knight Shield a go or something, Lorian's attacks are shockingly not stamina intensive. I'd wear stoneplates over Lloyd's Shield for this though.

They're super-duper weak to Lightning too, so bring Gold Pine Resin. Bundles might work too considering their quick application time, increased damage over Resin, and your short windows to attack.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 27, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Speckled Stoneplate ring may not be a bad idea if you can't cram in both the fireplate and magic plate rings (You're SL1, you might need the slots for other things just to function for all I know. Like if you were using the +5 STR ring or something just you could even HOLD a black knight shield). Little bro DOES use magic damage, after all, if you get tagged while avoiding the sword.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

Speckled Stoneplate ring may not be a bad idea if you can't cram in both the fireplate and magic plate rings (You're SL1, you might need the slots for other things just to function for all I know. Like if you were using the +5 STR ring or something just you could even HOLD a black knight shield). Little bro DOES use magic damage, after all, if you get tagged while avoiding the sword.

Oh yeah, the BKS is too demanding for SL1 even with +5 STR. Any 100% phys block with decent fire defense should suffice. Speckled + Flame + Red Bug Pellets should really take the edge off.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just completed it apparently, that last boss was quite anti-climactic and sudden. I thought I still had a good few hours to go yet.

Edit: Ok seems I missed quite a few optional areas :shrug:

Frankston fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 27, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I finally ran into a mage in PVP who was just standing back shooting soul arrows at me and remembered to switch to a magic parry shield. Two things: the magic parry window seems enormous, maybe as long as the little explosion animation lasts. Thing 2: it is at least grossly negligent and I'm more inclined to call it malicious that magic parrying has been in two games now and it does NOT bounce the spell back in PVP.

Can you at least bounce spells with force? I don't want to start my online petition until I know the scope of the problem.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I imagine the reason bouncing it back does nothing is because they never bothered making a system that changes the projectile's, well, "owner" for lack of a better word.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
You could bounce spells with force/wog in DS1 though so the technology exists. Almost positive they did damage, too.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Tallgeese posted:

I imagine the reason bouncing it back does nothing is because they never bothered making a system that changes the projectile's, well, "owner" for lack of a better word.

Probably a good idea, considering the lack of a reliable trust model in Souls games. You'd probably see cheaters turn all spells against their casters otherwise.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You could bounce spells with force/wog in DS1 though so the technology exists. Almost positive they did damage, too.

Pretty sure they didn't, because I had a sustained psychic attack that bounced spells and I never saw them do damage.

Bouncing the projectile back existed, but not changing who it can damage.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I went "gently caress it" and dumped titanite into the moonlight greatsword on my mage and wow. That's a lot of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tallgeese posted:

Pretty sure they didn't, because I had a sustained psychic attack that bounced spells and I never saw them do damage.

Bouncing the projectile back existed, but not changing who it can damage.

I'm like 85% positive this worked in DS1. I remember timing a WOG to bounce back someone's MLGS laser at some point.

I drink a lot Gough so my memory isn't super reliable