Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

what is the counter to widowmaker anyway? reaper? drinking until the pain is gone?

a better widowmaker

everything else only works if the widowmaker's team is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
6 defeats on the trot, enough for tonight. Example team I had: Soldier 76, Reaper, Reaper, Genji and me on Lucio. Sixth person waited for a bit, then also picked Genji.

I know it's pot luck, but every match the enemy had a strong roster, and I got the group of "I refuse to play anyone other than genji/hanzo/widowmaker/other fav character". With the occasional fakeout where they'd start as a support or tank and we'd be doing well, before we suddenly stop making progress. Oh hey, our Mercy decided it'd be better if we had a 2nd widowmaker instead of literally anyone else.

Anyway before this string of dumb games, played Junkrat for the first time today. I'd just got the highlight reel where he hits himself in the nuts. And whadda you know, one sneaky Ultimate later and everyone else gets to enjoy it. Junkrat is pretty great. I was disappointed that not everyone gets at least one equally silly POTG animation.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Soothing Vapors posted:

what is the counter to widowmaker anyway? reaper? drinking until the pain is gone?

d.va, winston, tracer being an rear end in a top hat?

The only class that I feel I have no answer to when they're good is McCree. Can't snipe them, can't engage them in close quarters.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dias posted:

d.va, winston, tracer being an rear end in a top hat?

The only class that I feel I have no answer to when they're good is McCree. Can't snipe them, can't engage them in close quarters.

Pharah and junkrat own that dude

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Soothing Vapors posted:

I prefer Winston and...Widowmaker and Hanzo.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Soothing Vapors posted:

D.Va and Winston are probably the most straightforward counters, just get all up in their face and mash them.

Reaper works well if you're careful and teleport from cover to cover between you and the sniper.

Reinhardt will enable basically anyone with a modicum of range to help take down Widowmaker.

Tracer can reach high ledges if you know where staircases to roofs are and use your dash to cross the gaps, but it's highly dependent on what map it is.

genji

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dias posted:

okay so me, my brother and a friend have been testing comps for competitive play, these are the results:

5 Hanzos and a Mercy on Egypt defense: didn't work too well. Turns out Soldiers and Tracers can stop us dead on our tracks.

4 Widowmakers, a Hanzo and a Mercy on Egypt offense: we actually capped A super fast, then Winstons (who is in need of a nerf, I believe) stopped our offensive on B. 3 Widowmakers and 2 Hanzos would probably be an improvement, seeing that a double SONO CHI NO SADAME got us halfway to capping the point.

6 Soldiers on Watchpoint defense: we won easy, held the second checkpoint. Should be the default for comp play, it has healing, range, damage and speed.

6 McCrees on Watchpoint offense: we lost easy. McCree is a weak character, easily stopped by Meis and Bastions. He can't heal and he's not amazing at long range.

3 Reinhardts, a Bastion, a Soldier and a Lúcio on Numbani defense: okay, I wanted to do 4 Reins 2 Bastions, but turns out the Soldier complimented our formation quite well. Held first point.

Shoutouts to the pubbies that were willing to put up with this nonsense, in name of science.
We had a gimmick round of 5 Soldiers and a Lucario on King's Row back in the beta, it somehow worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3M6lPKdGg

Gimmick rounds are fun when they work against all logic and sense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh on scoreboard discussion, I think the end of the match voting thing is really cool. Are the 4 heroes that show up the same for everyone in the match?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

mei is literally unbeatable if she gets the jump on you. once you're frozen you're done

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hi angry thread am i lucky?

that's from 18 boxes and one bought with all my dupe money

The real secret is you bought hundreds of dollars worth of drops to try and make goons on the internet jealous.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Knifegrab posted:

The real secret is you bought hundreds of dollars worth of drops to try and make goons on the internet jealous.

i wish i had money to spend on skins, friend

edit: or anything, really

help

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cardboard Box A posted:

We had a gimmick round of 5 Soldiers and a Lucario on King's Row back in the beta, it somehow worked.

The funny thing is that all-Soldier is actually viable for payload in pub play. Soldier as a whole is a perfectly pickable class in all situations, if you're semi-competent.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Cardboard Box A posted:

I suggested we do this last night and it failed miserably. :cheeky:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
So what's the exact formula for the Roadhog instant kill? Just hook and alt fire headshot? Maybe I just need practice, but it seems inconsistent.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Soothing Vapors posted:

I believe in tank and heals, basically get two tanks and a mercy. Let your tanks get the poo poo sniped outta'em so mercy builds up meter for a big push.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Suspicious Cook posted:

So what's the exact formula for the Roadhog instant kill? Just hook and alt fire headshot? Maybe I just need practice, but it seems inconsistent.

Wait until the target is pulled into you, press primary fire button for the Short range shotgun and enjoy the kill, Tanks Need 2 shots tho if it's not point blank/head iirc

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
It's hard not to pick Symmetra when defending the first objective. That Teleporter can really punish the other team. Other abilities are decent. Finding sneaky places to put turrets, denying areas with massive slow moving orbs people still inevitably run into, or killing people who think Reinhardt will keep them safe.

And with enough jumping around, or if the enemy is distracted, that short range beam will just poo poo out damage like nobody's business.

Symmetra is fun ya'll.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Suspicious Cook posted:

ok so this is going to sound rude but you're the second person who has mentioned this today so, why are people assuming roadhog's M2 has any role in his hook kill combo (aside from the ranged variant for tanks)? does the ingame tool-tip imply that or something? it does 50 damage close range, it's never worth using if your opponent is up in your business.

the combo is hook > M1 > melee. the melee animation cancels the M1 so it comes out very quickly. this won't always instantly kill because hook is weird and often doesn't put people directly in front of you, and different characters have different hitboxes so you have to aim at different parts (sometimes the head is better, othertimes the waist, etc), and some characters have escape options from a long-range hook. still, that's the general idea, so practice that. sometimes its worth not using the melee and just waiting to M1 again since melee only does 30 damage, but again you figure that out as you play - each bar of health represents 25 HP so if they have more than one bar after the M1 you should probably just M1 again.

the M2 variant is M2 > hook > M1 > melee, you use this if your opponent has a lot of health and you can land a proper ranged M2.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bleremiah posted:

It's hard not to pick Symmetra when defending the first objective. That Teleporter can really punish the other team. Other abilities are decent. Finding sneaky places to put turrets, denying areas with massive slow moving orbs people still inevitably run into, or killing people who think Reinhardt will keep them safe.

And with enough jumping around, or if the enemy is distracted, that short range beam will just poo poo out damage like nobody's business.

Symmetra is fun ya'll.

I've been doing this a lot but you sometimes have to specify that you still need a healer because not everyone realizes that's not Symmetra's job. They just look, see no note about supports and windmill slam their hand to the mouse to pick Genji or Hanzo. Also if your team is hot garbage, going Symmetra will basically doom you where swapping to a damage class might pull it out. Basically either need a team you can trust from the get-go or need to get a quick read on whether your team can even make use of her.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Omg I decided to click on Arcade for the first time and after 3 games this is my favorite loving mode.

Dva reeaallly shines

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
What they need to do is make random heroes a regular mode.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
D.va's ult shouldn't make her eject until you press Q a second time. That way I can kamikaze charge the enemy team instead of them seeing and hearing the mech coming from a mile away and casually hiding behind some random lamp post to completely avoid all damage.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Dias posted:

Was going to gif this, but the audio is too good.

https://youtu.be/xL8wDrPfP3s

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dastardly posted:

D.va's ult shouldn't make her eject until you press Q a second time. That way I can kamikaze charge the enemy team instead of them seeing and hearing the mech coming from a mile away and casually hiding behind some random lamp post to completely avoid all damage.

Try boosting and ejecting straight up, or alley oop it. People tend to not notice or realize where it is when it's above them, and they've got much less time to hide.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Try boosting and ejecting straight up, or alley oop it. People tend to not notice or realize where it is when it's above them, and they've got much less time to hide.

I always do that but there are only so many ways you can toss it and anyone worth their salt will just avoid it anyway.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Dastardly posted:

this is legit a good idea

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got a quintuple kill with Reaper's death blossom feeling like a badass... and then promptly fell off a cliff, It was play of the game so everyone got a good laugh :downs:. Wish I had saved it but oh well.

Whats the best way to play with goons? I am pretty bad but I have have more wins than losses (23/39) which is making me feel a little ok about my performance. I am jealous of all the people good with Genji, he looks like alot of fun but every time I play him I die really fast so I mostly stick with simpler Heroes like Reaper, Pharah, Junkrat and Bastion ATM.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Soothing Vapors posted:

widowmaker (winston)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Soothing Vapors posted:

teamwork

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspicious Cook posted:

RMB->Hook->LMB->Melee will kill all the little guys. The middling guys require everything to land, the little ones maybe just the LMB. The trick do doing his things is to not miss your poo poo and to animation cancel as much as you can to keep efficiently active (RMB into hook, reload into heal), etc.

Don't use the RMB up close it does 50 damage max if it doesn't reach the spread range.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to boost the score per round?
Right now I am making 2,500 - 3,500 points per round, even on a spectacular round with a 20 kill streak, 5 medals and PotG tops out at 3,500ish.

I know that grouping adds 20%, but are there other achievements that boost the tally?

Edit: It doesn't seem to make a difference if you get one or three gold medals, the bonus is always 150xp... should at least be 150xp each.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 27, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There is an obnoxious point where RMB won't explode but LMB's spread is a bit too high.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've tried looking through the OP, but if it's there, I can't find it: is there a separate thread for console players?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
reposting for page ???, if you have any questions whatsoever on how an ability works, hwo much damage something does, how quickly a weapon reloads, or if something has fall-off or can headshot, please use OW Infinity

http://www.owinfinity.com/en/

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Snak posted:

I've tried looking through the OP, but if it's there, I can't find it: is there a separate thread for console players?

Nah you gotta learn to parse M1, M2, E, Shift, RMB, LMB etc

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

:chloe:

Gee, thanks, little frostbot... But i think i'll pass...

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Soothing Vapors posted:

the cure for pain is in the pain

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Winston. Easy as piss to kill a widow while going APE-WILD

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I find that Soldier 76 is actually decent against Widowmaker. They tend to stand still and landing helix rockets will force her to go away. Plus you have perfect accuracy on the first shot or two so you can plink her to death too.

I'm sure it doesn't work against very good ones but I haven't met any of those yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Dias posted:

The funny thing is that all-Soldier is actually viable for payload in pub play. Soldier as a whole is a perfectly pickable class in all situations, if you're semi-competent.

We did exactly the same on the same map tonight, a pub group and me + friend. Thrashed our way to the end in no time at all. We're all soldiers now.