Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Danith posted:

Here you go, clippy module for powershell :v:

https://foxdeploy.com/2016/04/01/powerclippy/

And now pasting the link I see it's a joke. That makes me sad, I was seriously going to use it in a script :(

Edit: wait, it's not a April fools thing, the module is real! Yay

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-Module PowerClippy
Import-Module : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I can't get it to work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Our loving developers.

I just found out for a ticket we've had open for 12 months where a client couldn't connect to our servers and was threatening to leave they've had a hack solution the entire time they just never told us about.

Today they deigned to tell me it and lo and behold it works immediately.

The solution was already in production, it was just a flag in the configurations file that they never mentioned existed. Their excuse was "oh it's a bit of a hack and we want to make a better solution when we get around to it".

It's cool guys it was only a multi-million dollar client that was days away from cancelling no worries, it's all good

:suicide:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Methanar posted:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-Module PowerClippy
Import-Module : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I can't get it to work :(

Try it on your XP machine.

No really, I believe it would use a library that was included with XP but not later versions. Think the search dog.
(Get this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms695784%28v=vs.85%29.aspxv)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

nielsm posted:

Think the search dog.

You can't make me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Try it on your XP machine.

No really, I believe it would use a library that was included with XP but not later versions. Think the search dog.
(Get this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms695784%28v=vs.85%29.aspxv)
That's not what that error message means

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Our sales manager got a larger VDU. Now the ERP window is too small. How do I make the window larger?"

(It's a god drat Windows window with god drat standard Windows window control button thing systems.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I laughed, I cried, I laughed again. :five:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

The Gateway had Win 7 32 and O2010 32. Most of the accountants need a Sage related Excel plugin that only works with 32 bit Office.

The user kept this big, noisy hot piece of crap under her desk until she couldn't take it anymore. I got her a nice little Optiplex she was quite happy with until quitting less than a month later.

This place has the absolutely worst spreadsheets I've ever seen. Spreadsheets with more than 50 tabs, links upon links, legacy info copied and pasted from files that are 15+ years old. The VP that left recently was somehow poisoning file after file with the "too many styles" problem. Even after I gave her a simple tool to scrub the corruption off of everything she touched she refused to use it unless she personally was having trouble with a file. It didn't stop her from continuing to share and contaminate files other people needed to use.

The worst is the analyst that I had to get that Mac Pro for. I'm sure he's a whole lot smarter than me, and vital to the company but goddamn his massive spreadsheets are horrible and make everyone that needs to work with them stressed out. Then they expect me to press a Magic Button that will make Excel stop freezing and lagging.

I can teach you the Magic Button (there's actually two!) if you want. But you can only teach it to people who have brain cells. :ssh:

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Arsten posted:

I can teach you the Magic Button (there's actually two!) if you want. But you can only teach it to people who have brain cells. :ssh:

Don't ever buy a copy of ultramon. You will blow people's minds with 2 extra buttons!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arsten posted:

I appreciate how this restriction excludes the primitive neural ganglia some users employ to barely slide by in their daily tasks.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I appreciate how this restriction excludes the primitive neural ganglia some users employ to barely slide by in their daily tasks.

You can't tell me you haven't ever met the human equivalent to mildew.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

Unless they're the Power and Reset buttons I probably don't qualify for your offer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsten posted:

Wait there's a second prostate?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Unless they're the Power and Reset buttons I probably don't qualify for your offer.

Turn off automatic calculations - it'll only calculate when you go to save.

If you are running with Hyperthreading enabled on the system, set the number of calculation threads to (Physical Cores - 1).

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait there's a second prostate?

That actually varies depending on how many men are in with your spouse right now. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 26, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsten posted:

If you are running with Hyperthreading enabled on the system, set the number of calculation threads to (Physical Cores - 1).

That actually varies depending on how many men are in with your spouse right now. :v:

How much is a battalion anyway?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

How much is a battalion anyway?

Well, "battalion" is an operational unit - not a count - so it varies based upon which country and branch of service you want to use. Canadian battalions are 100-400 people. US Army is 0 to 1,200 people. US Marines are 500 to 1,200 people. Sorta like how "processor" can mean 1 to 64 cores. :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Arsten posted:

I knew the first one (users usually reject this option) but had never heard of the second. Thank you!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This is what Larches should have done when he quit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4UGtM4hDQ

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I knew the first one (users usually reject this option) but had never heard of the second. Thank you!

Sad. That first option helps me on many an Excel file with 17 billion calculations.

The second one is more of a general tweak because Excel still can't handle Hyperthreading. It just goes "Hey! Eight cores!" and tries to pin all eight at 100%. This actually slows down calculation time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had someone bitching that MS had removed a function in the rules for Outlook 2010 that said "if *my email* is in the BCC field" and how annoying that was to their workflow.

I pondered this for a second and realized the only way that could even happen is if you sent the email yourself :catstare: Pointing out there were rules for sent email just went flying over their head.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So, weird question. Anyone seeing lag/delays with Gmail (free or google apps) today/yesterday? We're seeing all kinds of weird issues, but I'm curious if other people are experiencing them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

I had someone bitching that MS had removed a function in the rules for Outlook 2010 that said "if *my email* is in the BCC field" and how annoying that was to their workflow.

I pondered this for a second and realized the only way that could even happen is if you sent the email yourself :catstare: Pointing out there were rules for sent email just went flying over their head.

Its sometimes useful to email yourself and then BCC a bunch of other people so that they cant see who else got the email. Now I don't know why you would have a rule for that but maybe they were doing it as a lazy way to automatically sort these type of messages.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK so I haven't really done a ton of research into this but am I correct that Mozilla haven't released any GPO templates for managing Firefox? The only things I can find are either an add-on that then requires me to write the registry changes myself, and an ADM pack that hasn't been updated in 3+ years.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket didn't come in: drinking at the track (ims carb day) all day tomorrow thanks to a vendor, and my boss canceled my pto request since I was planning on going anyways and told me to have fun; he'd hold down the fort.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

"Yeah, we got this guy a macbook to use on your Windows network. He's in a building miles away from you that has nobody else you support. We want him hooked up to two monitors and a mouse that we found somewhere that doesn't work. We bought some adapters but we didn't ask any IT people so who knows if we got the right thing! Go make it work!"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Inspector_666 posted:

OK so I haven't really done a ton of research into this but am I correct that Mozilla haven't released any GPO templates for managing Firefox? The only things I can find are either an add-on that then requires me to write the registry changes myself, and an ADM pack that hasn't been updated in 3+ years.

Yeah afaik there's no ADM that works with modern Firefox.

The best method I've found for configuring firefox is CCK2. It lets you either generate config\pref files to place in firefox's program files folder, or export the settings as an extension you can distribute to users. It certainly beats modifying prefs.js yourself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hungry Computer posted:

Yeah afaik there's no ADM that works with modern Firefox.

The best method I've found for configuring firefox is CCK2. It lets you either generate config\pref files to place in forefox's program files folder, or export the settings as an extension you can distribute to users. It certainly beats modifying prefs.js yourself.

Ugh, I was hoping Mozilla had made this as easy as Google did with Chrome. I only need to force installation of one add-on, so making the CCK2 extension would be kind of redundant. Whatever, people will just have to do it themselves on the off chance they don't use Chrome as their primary browser.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

This is why we switched to Chrome Enterprise company wide. Firefox was removed entirely.

There is a added benefit that you no longer have to install or update the Adobe Flash NPAPI plugin, since Chrome has Flash built in and is updated along with Chrome :D

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

"Our parent company made us install database security software that sits between our database and anything querying the database and now app performance is slower."

Yep. That'll happen.

(I honestly feel sorry for the guy. Everything has to be super-secure even if it doesn't contain sensitive data, because what if something happened and sensitive data ended up in there??!?! Causes a hell of a mess for their company, but there's not much we can do about it.)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Why would anyone not turn on manual calculations on a big spreadsheet? I guess if they're hourly employees waiting a few minutes each time they type a character might let them do nothing all day, but I would throw my laptop through a window the second or third time it happened.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Inspector_666 posted:

Try FrontMotion Firefox

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've got a warehouse situation where it's a pain in the rear end to to actually press ctrl alt del to sign into windows. It would be much easier if the guys were able to just scan a barcode glued nearby.

Has anyone ever made/used a barcode that represented ctrl alt delete? I tried creating a barcode with the ascii values for ctrl alt and del but it didn't quite work. For whatever reason just keeping the machines permanently signed in or disabling the ctrl alt del screen through GPO are not acceptable solutions.

--

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle computers that are in extremely dusty and dirty locations? There are some small passively cooled machines around but they die off at close to the same rate as some of the larger fan cooled ones. Oddly it's particularly the hard drives that seem to be dying. I would think it would be a heat related issue but it seems to be the hard drives that can't handle the dust.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Small form factor machines from nearly any manufacturer + SSDs should solve your problem. The Tiny/SFF machines are often fanless.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Methanar posted:

I've got a warehouse situation where it's a pain in the rear end to to actually press ctrl alt del to sign into windows. It would be much easier if the guys were able to just scan a barcode glued nearby.

Has anyone ever made/used a barcode that represented ctrl alt delete? I tried creating a barcode with the ascii values for ctrl alt and del but it didn't quite work. For whatever reason just keeping the machines permanently signed in or disabling the ctrl alt del screen through GPO are not acceptable solutions.
Not really. I saw a one-button keyboard for just that purpose years and years ago, but I can't find anything like it, now.

Methanar posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle computers that are in extremely dusty and dirty locations? There are some small passively cooled machines around but they die off at close to the same rate as some of the larger fan cooled ones. Oddly it's particularly the hard drives that seem to be dying. I would think it would be a heat related issue but it seems to be the hard drives that can't handle the dust.
Passive-cooled computers are generally worse because the dust coats the cooling components and you can't dissipate heat. Air flow alleviates this to a less terrible degree. The trick is to get as much surface area as possible with as much air flow as possible.

I've found in a dusty shop environment, those computers that passive cool to the entire case (with the internals protected by air filters on all the air entry places) and then bolt those to a steel desk or steel rolling cart does wonders. The heat dissipates to a huge surface area that is a lot easier to convect away. Plus, the shop guys can be told to blow it off every so often, taking care that they don't unseat the air filters.

As for hard drives, I've found that vibration in a shop environment does them in. The shops I work with are typically heavy equipment and machinery shops, so you may not have that issue - but swapping to an SSD would probably be quite useful.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're up for a project, I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Key-Keyboard-Hack/

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

devmd01 posted:

A ticket didn't come in: drinking at the track (ims carb day) all day tomorrow thanks to a vendor, and my boss canceled my pto request since I was planning on going anyways and told me to have fun; he'd hold down the fort.

Sup Indygoon. We had our company track outing last week and I snagged some tickets for the race last minute. Gonna get my European racing on.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Methanar posted:

--

Adjust the sign out on idle to two hours. Blow out the PCs once every few months and simply realize that warehouse PCs live in a rough environment and will die more often. Though admittedly one of my shipping PCs is a dinosaur.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why would anyone not turn on manual calculations on a big spreadsheet? I guess if they're hourly employees waiting a few minutes each time they type a character might let them do nothing all day, but I would throw my laptop through a window the second or third time it happened.

Because they are idiots that think that turning off auto recalc means going back to 1988 and Lotus 1-2-3. Doesn't matter if it will resolve the horrible performance issues with their hellspawn spreadsheets.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I only need to push 2 add-ons, and folks need to have vanilla Firefox for testing/support.

I'm just going to tell my manager that people will have to do it themselves, it's overall a moot point anyway since nobody I know of in the company uses Firefox as their primary browser over Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Methanar posted:

--

How is your barcode scanner configured? A lot are configured to press enter or tab after scanning a code. This could interfere with your CTRL-ALT-DEL scanning.

I'd take a look at SSD's for your dusty location computers. Have you thought about putting them in industrial dust enclosures designed for PC's?

• Locked thread