Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
what's the price supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Just look at the new Doom to see how awesome scripted/handcrafted fights can be. I rarely replay singleplayer games, especially shooters, and almost never on a higher difficulty, but after finishing Doom I immediately went back and started replaying some of the missions because the level designs and combat mechanics are just so drat good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

While I dig that there's a campaign now, having the random stuff entirely excised worries me a lot, especially when there's no mission editor. The game seems to have such an incredibly solid foundation that I want to see it built on as quickly as possible, and what's set to launch as V1.0 looks cool, but it's a small sealed box of coolness, rather than a toybox.

I don't think scripted content and procedural stuff need to be at odds with each other. They can stand as two separate modes, or even integrate to a degree. Having slightly randomized enemy placement, numbers or objectives would mix things up nicely in an otherwise hand-crafted campaign.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Hot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You should just put the roguelike alpha under the Steam beta function. :v:

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 26, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, you've already made it. Its a shame for it to be a complete waste and I'm personally perfectly happy to pay a little extra for it.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

haha This game came full circle, I remember you talking about this stuff back when you first started. I'm totally down for rainbow six in space.

And the hunty game does sound cool, you should make that at some point!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yay June!

:( to the roguelike / randomization element being ditched. That's a huge loss.

I will never be upset about a game going for well designed encounters instead of roguelike RNG, especially if the game has a heavier time investment. Random generation is fine if you can restart really quickly, not so much otherwise.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, you've already made it.

This is never a good reason.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I was looking forward to the procgen missions but I'm actually having a hard time thinking of any really fun space simulator games like this that also had them. I guess there's Elite, Privateer and the like, but the combat in those games just isn't as memorable as with something like Wing Commander or X-Wing.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Dominic White posted:

While I dig that there's a campaign now, having the random stuff entirely excised worries me a lot, especially when there's no mission editor. The game seems to have such an incredibly solid foundation that I want to see it built on as quickly as possible, and what's set to launch as V1.0 looks cool, but it's a small sealed box of coolness, rather than a toybox.

I don't think scripted content and procedural stuff need to be at odds with each other. They can stand as two separate modes, or even integrate to a degree. Having slightly randomized enemy placement, numbers or objectives would mix things up nicely in an otherwise hand-crafted campaign.

Wave clear is the mode the randomness will likely live in (like Firefight). And there's a little bit mission setup randomness, but not much.

The game is scripted like Halo or Myth is scripted, meaning super loose. The encounter can start the same way and have a ton of different ways it plays out depending on who you engage, what weapons you bring, who the AI chooses to engage, if you can disable or destroy certain key units, etc. It's definitely not the traditional, "Oh man two more bombers, take them out!" "Ok, 4 more bombers on the other side, get them too!" Everything is kinda left up to you and the AI.

Mission editor is totally out of scope for 1.0, and modding is something I appreciate but did not code for at all. I am sure some people will figure out ways to hack it up though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is wave clear going to be a single map?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Orv posted:

Is wave clear going to be a single map?

Yes. But I might make a couple different terrain variants to mix it up and I can change the skybox art/lighting for each run.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

General Battuta posted:

FS2's missions are almost all really good for the time. The basic game mechanics are nearly flawless and the writing's superb.

Speaking of, I've been playing FS2 and TIE Fighter for oh god 17 years and Enemy Starfighter's flight model is fun as hell and an absolute joy to tool around in.

Please tell me you're not one of karajorma's beta testers too, you're making me jealous enough as it is...

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
One thing that I know is really out there, but I would love to see some sort of spectator mode- watching two random ai fleets fight at random locations. The camera would swap randomly from 1st person views to slow pans of the whole battle. Would make for a kickass screensaver if people still used such things.

The lighting and colors are so pretty, I really could just watch it play out all day.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

One thing that I know is really out there, but I would love to see some sort of spectator mode- watching two random ai fleets fight at random locations. The camera would swap randomly from 1st person views to slow pans of the whole battle. Would make for a kickass screensaver if people still used such things.

I call this the title menu and the "ui.hide 1" command.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, you've already made it. Its a shame for it to be a complete waste and I'm personally perfectly happy to pay a little extra for it.

Yeah, I'd love to see the randomly generated stuff. From all the people who posted feedback it seems like it was really inferior though, sadly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Kairo since you're reading currently, will there be a soundtrack and is the awesomely moody calm ambiance stuff still in?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I'm excited for the change. I've never gotten big into roguelikes, and I'm skeptical of procedural content in general.

Granted that some of my favorite games (Civilization, Kerbal Space Program, SimCity/Skylines) are sandbox-y games with random elements, I find that procedural generation needs to be used extremely thoughtfully to be good. It's too easy for developers to use it to produce an infinite amount of content that's not good enough to be worth playing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think I prefer it this way over randomly generated missions but if the game does well enough you should definitely make a good mission editor your top priority. Like Freespace 2 if your core gameplay is really good then people are gonna be making content for it for free for years to come.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kairo posted:

Wave clear is the mode the randomness will likely live in (like Firefight). And there's a little bit mission setup randomness, but not much.

This is a bad sign. Nobody liked Firefight. People only claimed they did because its the only thing in ODST that was new and of course they lapped it up. Nobody who played Reach played Firefight in Reach. Do 4 and 5 even have Firefight? Horde mode is bad and boring.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uh that's not true at all, my roommate at the time and I played the poo poo out of The Reach firefight mode, it was really fun to see how far we could get.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm just going to say congrats! I helped in testing a very long time ago and offered probably meager amounts of help - but I'm glad to see the work you do is where you want it and how it's done.

Having missions is cool, why? It's like reading a good book. When you meet someone else who read the same book, and you start talking about the cool parts, and the other person starts to agree and mention it as well - it's an experience that was shared and makes it memorable.

My friends and I bring up a lot of gaming moments that stuck with us - especially in FS2. DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I played tons of firefight in Reach, as did a lot of people.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I played a ton of firefight in ODST and 3. :haw: And it was enjoyable as a side dish to the main game!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
is firefight like the mass effect 3 multiplayer? i loved that

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Dropping in to say I am very happy to hear about handcrafted missions. Sandbox fatigue is real and I miss the good ol' days of mission-based games.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

is firefight like the mass effect 3 multiplayer? i loved that

Firefight is like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer without the objectives, you just have to survive increasingly difficult waves of enemies.

I'm glad that the game has come full circle back to designed scenarios. I remember early screenshots or a stream or something showing how different keywords could be easily added to enemies and allies to give different abilities and behaviors, will the player be given the option to customize that sort of thing to tailor the difficulty of the scenarios, similar to skulls in Halo?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

This is a bad sign. Nobody liked Firefight. People only claimed they did because its the only thing in ODST that was new and of course they lapped it up. Nobody who played Reach played Firefight in Reach. Do 4 and 5 even have Firefight? Horde mode is bad and boring.
Firefight is really fun though :confused:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
odst was the last halo game i played more than ~an hour of, and i remember firefight being quite good.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo you're loving bad and dumb. Don't say everybody doesn't A Thing just because YOU don't like it you loving jackass.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My main concern is that endless TIE Fighter was basically what drew me to the game, and that fourteen missions might up being a bit light. Still pretty much sold on it though.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
im going to buy this game so i can cradle my hdd in my arms and caress it, as i wish to caress kairo

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Orv posted:

My main concern is that endless TIE Fighter was basically what drew me to the game, and that fourteen missions might up being a bit light. Still pretty much sold on it though.

I'm sure some people are gonna find it light, especially if they only do main objectives on easy, because the missions are fast by design and the responding flagship pretty much pushes you out of the space. But those are basically the tutorial versions of the missions. I want a lot of players to be able to at least pewpew through the game and then want to turn up the difficulty later.

The rest of us turn it up and embrace death from the start.

EDIT: Many of TIE's missions went on WAY too long anyways, especially only to have something gently caress up or you end up taking a random hit. There's almost no downtime here.

Kairo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 27, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Could you (now or later) talk about how the difficulty changes things up?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Firefight was great but more important to me personally I played more of the combat sim in the bar in Wing Commander 1 than I did the actual game because exploding in space was too scary for me at 9.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 27, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Hey Kairo is that radio chatter in the trailer actually in the game or just done for the trailer? I love stuff like that so I hope it is, the sound design in general is absolutely stellar.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Hey Kairo is that radio chatter in the trailer actually in the game or just done for the trailer? I love stuff like that so I hope it is, the sound design in general is absolutely stellar.

It's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Kairo, you gonna do a soundtrack release or provide the music files with the game?

• Locked thread