Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

These are really good for what is basically a first try. Next I'd suggest experimenting with some washes, try black on the metals, a dark green on the orc skin, etc.

Thank you :) I did do a wash on each model but then I think I overdid the drybrushing and basically covered up the wash. Will continue practicing as I'm hoping to be able to paint up my Dungeon Saga minis to a decent level in the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Any brick and mortar store I could reasonably expect to find something like Vallejo airbrush primer and thinners?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cyberia posted:

Thank you :) I did do a wash on each model but then I think I overdid the drybrushing and basically covered up the wash. Will continue practicing as I'm hoping to be able to paint up my Dungeon Saga minis to a decent level in the next few months.

Dry brushing is a pretty messy technique, so yeah, it's easy to obscure the detail that the wash brings out. It's also best used on heavily textured surfaces like fur, hair and chainmail, or surfaces you want to simulate texture on, like metal or bone.

For smooth surfaces like cloth and skin it's best to do more traditional highlighting. A quick and easy method is painting a light base color, giving it a darker wash, then picking out the raised areas (nose/cheeks/chin, cloth folds) in the base coat again.

Sorry if this is basic poo poo you already know.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
No, it's genuinely good advice. I'm starting from zero and am happy to learn everything I can.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mugaaz posted:

Any brick and mortar store I could reasonably expect to find something like Vallejo airbrush primer and thinners?

I'm not sure where you are, but in Australia they're *everywhere*

From memory Vallejo is a little tougher for Americans for some reason.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think I'm getting better at this

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Wayland and Darksphere both have it in store in the UK.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of minis?

This is what I spent 2-3 hours on this evening. Mostly as an experiment in doing highlights for black (and red). Plus I love The Shadow. Really pleased with how he came out. He looks better in person though. If I'm gonna keep painting I think I need to set up a simple light box, figure out how to use my camera better, and how to to level correction better than "Fiddle with sliders until 'looks ok".

Kinda think I might overdone the contrast on the black but it looks better at a distance, so its probably fine. First time painting a reaper bones, it wasn't too bad. A bit disappointed a lot of the fine detail on the pistols was lost from the original non-bones version.

Who knows if I'll ever get to use this guy in anything...
The Shadow Knows!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 27, 2016

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's a badly lit quick snap of the finished Fists. Happy with how they came out and I love the Heresy era aesthetic.

I'll try to get some better shots in daylight when I can.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lethemonster posted:

Guess who spilled acetone on their model.

I don't know if it's of interest to anyone but I've started updating my blog again http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/

Send all your models to me where they'll be safe.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

big_g posted:

Here's a badly lit quick snap of the finished Fists. Happy with how they came out and I love the Heresy era aesthetic.

I'll try to get some better shots in daylight when I can.

'Badly lit' he says. Pft.

(Your poo poo is rad though)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Hey, real quick question- I usually pin my minis to resin bases, but I'm thinking about using some recessed bases and water effects to put some plastic models ankle-deep in the "water". I haven't done anything like this before, and was wondering if being held by the cured/dried water effects would be strong enough to skip pinning (this would be for a relatively small/light model). I'm still at the idea stage for my project though, and wanted to know how stupid it would be.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What's this tack you guys use to hold models in place? I can't keep gripping bases, it's destroying my body.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I recommend pinning whenever there's doubt.

It'll come down to your water effect, though. Some will essentially add a 1mm glue layer, others will just add layers of gloss.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

What's this tack you guys use to hold models in place? I can't keep gripping bases, it's destroying my body.

Are you asking for a specific brand that works the best for models? Because I'd be interested to know that too.

Otherwise it's a removable adhesive putty that goes by about a billion different brand names. I've used a couple different brands and they all worked to some degree. I didn't care for any of them though and just keep on holding the bases.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cat Face Joe posted:

Just normal sticky-tack. The brand I use is Tesa.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of minis?

This is what I spent 2-3 hours on this evening. Mostly as an experiment in doing highlights for black (and red). Plus I love The Shadow. Really pleased with how he came out. He looks better in person though. If I'm gonna keep painting I think I need to set up a simple light box, figure out how to use my camera better, and how to to level correction better than "Fiddle with sliders until 'looks ok".

Kinda think I might overdone the contrast on the black but it looks better at a distance, so its probably fine. First time painting a reaper bones, it wasn't too bad. A bit disappointed a lot of the fine detail on the pistols was lost from the original non-bones version.

Who knows if I'll ever get to use this guy in anything...
The Shadow Knows!

It looks weird to me that the black shadows on the back of the cloak don't go all the way to the bottom. The grey outline makes it stand out and look like a drawn on design instead of shadow. Like you said though, probably fine from a distance.

The inside of the cape with the red looks perfect.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

GoodBee posted:

I didn't care for any of them though and just keep on holding the bases.

I end up holding the base so tightly that I tense up my shoulders. I can consciously keep myself from doing it but it's distracting.

Drone posted:

Just normal sticky-tack. The brand I use is Tesa.

Cool, thanks.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Last pictures I'll post but here are some shots in daylight of the yellow marines.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Hey, real quick question- I usually pin my minis to resin bases, but I'm thinking about using some recessed bases and water effects to put some plastic models ankle-deep in the "water". I haven't done anything like this before, and was wondering if being held by the cured/dried water effects would be strong enough to skip pinning (this would be for a relatively small/light model). I'm still at the idea stage for my project though, and wanted to know how stupid it would be.

Pin them. I tried this with some of my models, and they ended up face down after a couple weeks

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Yeast posted:

From memory Vallejo is a little tougher for Americans for some reason.

The Hobby Lobby near me has an okayish but hardly complete stock of Vallejo paint. Although depending on one's political principles some goons won't step foot in a HL.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

Last pictures I'll post but here are some shots in daylight of the yellow marines.

These are awesome. I plan on doing an HH Imperial Fists army as well, and I hope they look as good as yours.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

big_g posted:

I really hope you go on to do more of these dudes. These are really well done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

big_g posted:

Your yellow is awesome, and I really dig the look of these guys. I think they're a little low contrast though; the armor banding all being the same yellow kind of loses some of the detail and something to break up that swathe of yellow would make the figure more visually interesting. Right now the upper body looks great and the legs and arms just look 80-90% there. Keep it up though, that's a great yellow!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Couple quick questions!

I have this mini from Reaper and I'm trying to strip the paint off of but the primer is really fuckin stuck on there. I used white Rust-Oleum spray paint primer, and denatured alcohol to strip the paint. In the places where I can reach the paint it's easy to scrape off, but in the little recesses and details of the mini I'm having a real hard time getting it clean. Toothbrush doesn't do anything. I'm considering just grabbing a fine sewing needle and going to town but I'm worried that'll damage the mini since it's not an especially hard metal. Any suggestions?

Just use mineral spirits for cleaning varnish off brushes? I'm not sure how the various poo poo out there can potentially damage synthetic/natural brush fibers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Have you tried acetone (nail polish remover)? It's probably the most effective thing at stripping paint off of metal. Don't use it on plastic though, since it'll melt the plastic. (Not sure about what it'll do to resin or Bonesium.)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I did a couple days ago but didn't leave it it longer than an hour since I'm not sure how long is safe for the mini to soak for. Should I just dunk it in acetone for a week?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

I did a couple days ago but didn't leave it it longer than an hour since I'm not sure how long is safe for the mini to soak for. Should I just dunk it in acetone for a week?
Yes. Alternatively, use fresh acetone. Or nitrocellulose solvent (will clean your paint in ~30 secs, scrub, repeat, done, but hella toxic). Both are harmless to metal minis to the point where I forgot models in a nitro jar for ~3 months and there was no noticeable damage from it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Does anyone use one of those ultrasonic cleaning thingys for stripping minis?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Signal posted:

Pin them. I tried this with some of my models, and they ended up face down after a couple weeks

Thanks for helping me avert disaster!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

sugar free jazz posted:

Couple quick questions!

I have this mini from Reaper and I'm trying to strip the paint off of but the primer is really fuckin stuck on there. I used white Rust-Oleum spray paint primer, and denatured alcohol to strip the paint. In the places where I can reach the paint it's easy to scrape off, but in the little recesses and details of the mini I'm having a real hard time getting it clean. Toothbrush doesn't do anything. I'm considering just grabbing a fine sewing needle and going to town but I'm worried that'll damage the mini since it's not an especially hard metal. Any suggestions?

Usually I get the majority of the paint off with denatured alcohol, and then for all the paint still present in the recesses I use a solution which here is sold as "brush cleaner for acrylics". Its 50% xylene, 25% ethyl acetate, 25% isobutanol, and its the motherfuckin holy grail of (metal) miniature paint striping. 30 minutes in this and all paint jumps off the figure. I just run over it with a nail brush and really just 2-3 strokes from all sides is more than enough to remove all paint, and leave you with a shining figure that looks just like new. As I only use it after the denatured alcohol took care of most of the paint, a 100ml bottle has been enough to clean 70-80 figures, and still have lots of it left.

I'm pretty sure however that this solution eats plastic the same way as it eats paint.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

sugar free jazz posted:

Overnight is usually enough in my experience, but you can soak metal minis forever, essentially.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

big_g posted:

i dont even post in this thread or paint much anymore, but that yellow is fantastic looking man, good stuff

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted a troll dude wielding a bazooka.

I don't think much else needs said, there.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

Does anyone use one of those ultrasonic cleaning thingys for stripping minis?

I have! They work fairly well at saving a bit of soaking time; brushing after a soak is still recommended, though. (I haven't used mine to strip any minis in a while; I mostly use it with a tank of 50/50 Windex/distilled water to clean my airbrush.)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

An old Warhammer Fantasy Paymaster model from Dogs of War. Specifically, Mydas the Mean. Painting him up for a mordheim campaign. Unfortunately, my camera is bad and my lighting is worse, but I did some interesting things with color shadings to make it look like his cloak and sash and turban cloths are shimmery and look different colors in different light.

I've ordered in a light box kit to try and start taking better pictures, so hopefully the effect will be more visible next time I take a picture of this guy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted this 'lil dude up last night. He's a Warmachine Idrian Skirmisher. I like his color scheme - Lots of earthy browns, because he's a guerilla fighter from the desert, but his red and black skirt ties him into the color scheme of the rest of my army. Also, it turns out that he's wearing poofy pants which are stuffed into his boots, and his knees are not bare like I thought when I started painting him. So now he's wearing weird flesh colored pants, I guess.

I feel like my painting is improving pretty rapidly, especially when I take my time. I'm still not satisfied, but it's nice to see some obvious progress. I've yet to work up the guts to paint eyes, but I'm getting there.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

May be of interest to the thread, GW are relasing a new range of metallics, glossy washes and 'gem' glazes - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-G...cat440136a-flat

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zark the Damned posted:

May be of interest to the thread, GW are relasing a new range of metallics, glossy washes and 'gem' glazes - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-G...cat440136a-flat

I'm kinda interested in those gem paints, though I'm not sure they're glazes, it says they're 'gel paints' whatever that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those are pretty neat, but I wonder if by gel they just mean a very thick fluid like tamiya clears. And if those new metallics are like their recent golds, they're going to be awesome.