Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use this car charger. I didn't really check for "rapid charging." It works, though, and hasn't caused any damage to person or property.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0172QQNBY/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In financial speak, Lenovo has more or less admitted that they don't have a loving clue how to manage Motorola.

http://news.lenovo.com/news-releases/lenovo-announces-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-201516-results.htm

quote:

These results show integration efforts did not meet expectations. In particular, China shipments declined 85% as the business shifted focus to open market and higher price bands and product transition in North America was not successful. Lenovo has learned a great deal since the close of the Motorola acquisition and is applying learnings quickly, with actions in organization, leadership and approach. The two new co-presidents focused on China and the rest of the world (RoW) now have the right focus. China is still the most competitive market and Lenovo intends to return to growth there by continuing to drive the shift from carriers to open market and leveraging its ZUK brand to rebuild its end-to-end competitiveness. In RoW, Lenovo will maintain high growth in emerging markets and get the US business back on track with a competitive product portfolio.

Unfortunately, the takeaway is wrong. It wasn't the product portfolio that poisoned the well. Nearly every Motorola phone since the Moto X 2013 has received critical acclaim and a very loyal following. It was how you managed the support of those products. The Moto X did well early in its run. It managed to get updates sometimes faster than Nexus products. Even in recent memory, the Moto X Pure was one of the earliest non-nexus phones to receive Marshmallow. But long term support of the Moto X line along with constant sparring with Verizon on the Droid line tarnished the quick update image. The big turning point was dropping support of the carrier branded 2014 X line. That was the first sign that they were truly in trouble as far as supporting their own products. The updates to the Moto X Pure then slowed to a trickle with 6.0.1 being a no-show and no security updates since Feb patch. Finally, the warranty issues started. Motorola used to have stellar warranty support with quick turn around and cross shipping of replacements. However, mismanagement of the transition resulted in WEEKS to MONTHS disruptions in the supply line and people we left with broken phones for far to long to the point where a class action lawsuit developed.

It's become clear at this point that Motorola is incapable of supporting anything other than a rebrand of Lenovo devices. However, Lenovo devices have none of the features which made the Moto X line popular. The current leaks point to this as well. The "Moto Z" is a far too thin slab sided phone relying on gimmicky add on modules as a marketing point. Gone is the curve that led to great hand feel. Gone is the Motorola dimple that always seemed purpose built for a fingerprint sensor (instead a large ugly front physical button sensor is used instead.) Gone are the front facing stereo speakers (one of the "add on" modules is enhanced speakers.) Gone also (from what we've seen) are interesting back materials.

So, any loyal users they had that weren't alienated by the update and support situation now are left with 2016 flagship with none of the features that made them buy Moto in the first place. Moto has now become completely indistinguishable from some warmed over Lenovo phone and has none ergonomics that made the phone great to use.

So, Moto is pretty much dead at this point. My Android phone ownership has been nearly an unbroken string of Moto phones since the OG Droid with only a short lived trip into mistakeville with the Galaxy Nexus.but I can't see anything at this point that would make me want to buy anything coming out from Motorola this year. I love my Moto X Pure. It's probably been the best Android device I've ever owned. But it's the last of a kind.

It's a shame that the manufacturer that put Android on the map with the OG Droid ended up this way, but that's pretty much where we are now.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

In financial speak, Lenovo has more or less admitted that they don't have a loving clue how to manage Motorola.

http://news.lenovo.com/news-releases/lenovo-announces-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-201516-results.htm

Unfortunately, the takeaway is wrong. It wasn't the product portfolio that poisoned the well. Nearly every Motorola phone since the Moto X 2013 has received critical acclaim and a very loyal following. It was how you managed the support of those products. The Moto X did well early in its run. It managed to get updates sometimes faster than Nexus products. Even in recent memory, the Moto X Pure was one of the earliest non-nexus phones to receive Marshmallow. But long term support of the Moto X line along with constant sparring with Verizon on the Droid line tarnished the quick update image. The big turning point was dropping support of the carrier branded 2014 X line. That was the first sign that they were truly in trouble as far as supporting their own products. The updates to the Moto X Pure then slowed to a trickle with 6.0.1 being a no-show and no security updates since Feb patch. Finally, the warranty issues started. Motorola used to have stellar warranty support with quick turn around and cross shipping of replacements. However, mismanagement of the transition resulted in WEEKS to MONTHS disruptions in the supply line and people we left with broken phones for far to long to the point where a class action lawsuit developed.

It's become clear at this point that Motorola is incapable of supporting anything other than a rebrand of Lenovo devices. However, Lenovo devices have none of the features which made the Moto X line popular. The current leaks point to this as well. The "Moto Z" is a far too thin slab sided phone relying on gimmicky add on modules as a marketing point. Gone is the curve that led to great hand feel. Gone is the Motorola dimple that always seemed purpose built for a fingerprint sensor (instead a large ugly front physical button sensor is used instead.) Gone are the front facing stereo speakers (one of the "add on" modules is enhanced speakers.) Gone also (from what we've seen) are interesting back materials.

So, any loyal users they had that weren't alienated by the update and support situation now are left with 2016 flagship with none of the features that made them buy Moto in the first place. Moto has now become completely indistinguishable from some warmed over Lenovo phone and has none ergonomics that made the phone great to use.

So, Moto is pretty much dead at this point. My Android phone ownership has been nearly an unbroken string of Moto phones since the OG Droid with only a short lived trip into mistakeville with the Galaxy Nexus.but I can't see anything at this point that would make me want to buy anything coming out from Motorola this year. I love my Moto X Pure. It's probably been the best Android device I've ever owned. But it's the last of a kind.

It's a shame that the manufacturer that put Android on the map with the OG Droid ended up this way, but that's pretty much where we are now.

To be fair, not even Motorola had known how to manage Motorola for the last couple of years, good phones notwithstanding.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, a drat shame. :rip:

I am playing out the string on my 2013 Moto X, and I love this drat phone. I'll keep it as long as it's usable. But then what? The 6P is way too big, the 5X seems to have inconsistent quality and not much battery life, the Nexus 7 has Samsung bloat, there's no way I'm getting that new thing they're calling a Moto X, and so on. I don't see any easy options for me to turn to. Kinda sad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Yeah, a drat shame. :rip:

I am playing out the string on my 2013 Moto X, and I love this drat phone. I'll keep it as long as it's usable. But then what? The 6P is way too big, the 5X seems to have inconsistent quality and not much battery life, the Nexus 7 has Samsung bloat, there's no way I'm getting that new thing they're calling a Moto X, and so on. I don't see any easy options for me to turn to. Kinda sad.

The good news at least is the guy who headed up all the awesome hardware at Moto is taking over all the hardware at Google now.

So, 2017's Nexus may be pretty awesome.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
2013 moto x was the best phone I've ever used. RIP.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moto G 3rd Gen was possibly one of the greatest value cheap phones ever, too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Desk Lamp posted:

To be fair, not even Motorola had known how to manage Motorola for the last couple of years, good phones notwithstanding.

Motorola hasn't been independent since they were purchased by Google. The last couple years were the transition that Lenovo is referring to.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
A year of Chinese shitbox Motos and HTC Nexuses, just what Android needed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

A year of Chinese shitbox Motos and HTC Nexuses, just what Android needed.

2016: Year of the Monkey Shitbox

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I've just accidentally shattered my 2014 Moto X's screen and was starting to look into what phones are out these days, so this was a disappointing post/page to read :( Is there nothing promising on the horizon?

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 27, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

HelixFox posted:

I've just accidentally shattered my 2014 Moto X's screen and was starting to look into what phones are out these days, so this was a disappointing post/page to read :( Is there nothing promising on the horizon?

Yes. All the phones he mentioned are actually fine to good (by Nexus 7 he meant Galaxy S7, btw).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

HelixFox posted:

I just accidentally shattered MY 2014 Moto X screen and ended up with the Nexus 5X.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

HelixFox posted:

Nexus stuff, maybe Nokia will make good phones, but probably not for a while.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Google won it's trial over Oracle over Android's use of Java API's

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/google-wins-trial-against-oracle-as-jury-finds-android-is-fair-use/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've discussed this forever elsewhere but just let me say I hate this world where this was even a fight to be had.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, my Nexus 5 will need to be replaced soon. I'm debating whether I should get a discounted 6P (i'm assuming the prices will fall to the 300s in the summer or fall) or wait for the next line of HTC Nexus phones. Is there any reason to believe HTC will gently caress it up?

I think mainly I'm hoping to get a phone with the Snapdragon 820 or its successor. If not the Nexus, would be there any 2016 phones in the $3-400 range that were around the quality of last year's Moto X Pure?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I've discussed this forever elsewhere but just let me say I hate this world where this was even a fight to be had.

Yeah, it's not really that great of a "win." APIs are still copywritable, which means if they are used and the offended company wants, they can sue and there has to be a court case to determine the super-subjective fair use. A lot worse than we were before they ruled APIs were copywritable, and I would be shocked if we don't start seeing a huge number of court cases.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FunOne posted:

Other thing I did was pick up some of those micro-USB to USB-C adapters, like this 2 pack from Anker. Stuck one in my travel bag and one I hid in my wife's purse. That way I can find make a charger work even if I'm away from my USB-C stuff.

I too bought these and it actually rescued me just last night. Might not charge really fast, but it's better than a dead device. A+ would definitely buy again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SB35 posted:

I too bought these and it actually rescued me just last night. Might not charge really fast, but it's better than a dead device. A+ would definitely buy again.

I just got those a couple days ago. They've been fine keeping my phone from dying while playing Marvel Puzzle Quest on the couch, and as the battery is still new and strong, I don't really need more at the moment. I'll get some proper cords and chargers later once prices drop a bit.

But, I couldn't get my micro-USB to SD card adapter to work through one of those. Guess I need to buy a new USB-C SD card reader. I just got this one a couple months ago! :(

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, it's not really that great of a "win." APIs are still copywritable, which means if they are used and the offended company wants, they can sue and there has to be a court case to determine the super-subjective fair use. A lot worse than we were before they ruled APIs were copywritable, and I would be shocked if we don't start seeing a huge number of court cases.

Anything that even remotely hurts Oracle is good though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

The updates to the Moto X Pure then slowed to a trickle with 6.0.1 being a no-show and no security updates since Feb patch.

Mine is still on the November patch without available updates :(

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Product name ambiguity sucks. His is a 2015 and from the sound of it I'm guessing yours is a 2014?

Also now you understand why the thread trends toward never don't Nexus, because even AOSPalike phone OEMs drop the ball too often.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Product name ambiguity sucks. His is a 2015 and from the sound of it I'm guessing yours is a 2014?

Also now you understand why the thread trends toward never don't Nexus, because even AOSPalike phone OEMs drop the ball too often.

Moto X Pure isn't an ambiguous name.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sleepwalkers posted:

Moto X Pure isn't an ambiguous name.

Moto X Pure Edition

Moto X Pure

which is which?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Mine is a Moto X Style which might make a difference? It really shouldn't though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

Mine is a Moto X Style which might make a difference? It really shouldn't though.

What the gently caress?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

What the gently caress?

Poor decision making, friend.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I had a Motorola, carrier branded phone. And that carrier was Verizon. I did a year and a half with that poo poo and never saw one upgrade.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

I had a Motorola, carrier branded phone. And that carrier was Verizon. I did a year and a half with that poo poo and never saw one upgrade.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Verizon S7 has been getting timely security updates....

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Moey posted:

My Verizon S7 has been getting timely security updates....

Well, I don't know how accurate it is, but I would say the argument is that you couldn't be sure of that prior to purchase.

In other words, the argument for Nexus devices when it comes to updates is that you can be more confident in its future upgrade prospects than you can be with whatever other phone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah I like the Nexus devices as well, bit I have a strange setup. I can buy my devices for the subsidised prices through work. 10 month period and my line is due for another upgrade.

Also, I am hooked on Samsung Pay now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Shai-Hulud posted:

Moto X Style is what they decided to call the Moto X Pure outside of the US.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm thinking of getting my hands on the new Huawei P9. Any impressions/things I should be worried about, besides what I can find from general reviews?

My take on the P9:
- It seems to be Nexus 6P, but smaller and according to comparisons a bit faster
- Camera seems nice, and I like the manual options on offer
- EMUI interface looks like a bleh skin, but I can fix it with a launcher or something. Not sure about notifications but I don't touch them that often so not too much of a problem
- It's substantially cheaper than the 6P here in Malaysia, and it just came out officially this weekend, which I think is a month later than most other places

I haven't had the device in my hands yet as display units only came in today and I haven't had time to really check it out in my hands, but I thought asking here might help if anyone has any impressions before I get out to get it. Or even just the EMUI impressions / update schedules in general.

EDIT: To put into perspective, I'm thinking of upgrading from my HTC One M8 because it's been wonky recently. Here were the other options I was considering:

Nexus 6P - I like stock android but it's waaaay too big for me tiny hands and much more expensive.
Sony Xperia Z5C - I like the size, but not the Sony skin which always feels like it's laggy to me, and the fingerprint sensor on the side is weird.
LG G5 - My heart was set on this, price be damned, but then everyone in Malaysia who got it complained about it so that went out the window.
HTC M10 looks...very ok. Like a jack of all trades, and doesn't really keep what I liked about the M8.
I don't really like the Samsungs because of their interface, insistence on switching around the back/recent buttons, and fingerprint sensor on bottom. Although I guess I could consider the Note 5 - massive, but I like the pen.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 28, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://youtu.be/PQEpjFK6X04

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
nexus 5x case recommendations anyone? Is everyone still in love with diztronic?
Is the "official" case good?

I'm coming from a seidio...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spiegen cases are mostly great but for me hit or miss, the 6P tough armour one has awfully stiff unusable buttons. I still fall back to Diztronic, they're plain but so good and cheap.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Goddammit Google, why does your keyboard not show predictions in your own search app??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

galahan posted:

nexus 5x case recommendations anyone? Is everyone still in love with diztronic?
Is the "official" case good?

I'm coming from a seidio...

Diztronic's good on the 5x. I've heard good things about the cases Google sells, but I can't vouch for them.