Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Look at Mei's skills. She's got a slow and stun that has no cooldown and can pretty much be maintained indefinitely until you die, so you have to just sit there completely unable to do anything for however long it takes her to kill you. She's got an invulnerability/heal skill which exists only to cockblock people that are about to kill her. She's got a big wall that she throws up in your face that stops you from going anywhere. And she's got a big AOE ult that applies her stun to everyone.

The thing that keeps her from being insufferable is that she's fat and slow and freezing people takes a long time and she's basically incapable of killing someone without freezing them first. Take those away and make her actually good and most of your time playing the game would be spent either staring at a big loving wall in your face, staring at Mei sitting invincibly in an ice cube or staring at your health bar slowly drop while you're frozen. Mei is a character who is all about making other people unable to do anything. Not killing them and making them respawn, but just making them sit around and wait for whatever she's doing to be over.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

TheTatteredKing posted:

Yeah but who the gently caress lands arrows? Make the charge time whatever it needs to be so the arrows do 200 god drat.

You seriously can't hit people with arrows? The hitbox is extremely generous.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

Id genuinely like to hear more of your thoughts on balance besides Dva, Widow, and McCree. I feel like attack heroes outside of McCree are in a really good place right now.. hbu?

most of my thoughts are based on comp matches that i've watched because i dont think i have nearly enough hours in this game to make useful balance suggestions purely on my own experiences other than gamefeel (and even that can change as you improve/the meta shifts).

i think a huge improvement to dva both in terms of viability and feel would be stealing Ruckus' guns from Paladins, where M1 fires a single cannon with a more narrow cone that does half as much damage and M2 does her current dual fire.

i don't play widow well so i don't like proposing changes for her but if you twisted my arm i'd probably say to reduce her clip size and give her screen shake. maybe also increase charge rate a bit, like 1.5s for a full charge? her big issue is that she can just wipe a team/kill a push by herself if left alone, and i think screen shake would do a lot to make characters like Lucio able to disrupt her.

mccree see my previous post

oh you said "besides" those heroes whoops uhhHHHH maybe make torbjorn have some reason to be used outside of defense but he's quite good at that so it's not a huge issue. buff symmetra somehow to be useful for situations other than first point, perhaps by nerfing her teleporter and buffing her kit elsewhere. address overtime being lovely. otherwise i love this game!!!!!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those that do play D.va, I learned something new on FuriousPaul's site:

quote:

Steer D.va's Ejection
When your mech gets destroyed, you can hold down the direction you want D.va to eject out at and she will jump out that direction. This means you can hold your strafe, forward, and backward keys down while getting ejected and she will pop out that direction. By default, if you don't press any movement keys, D.va will eject backwards away from her mech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

McCree could use a nerf but he's also the only real answer to a good Tracer. Mei could use a bit of a buff but not to her freeze utility, as that's good enough where it is. Maybe tweak her icicle shot to make it easier for the average player to use? D.va's fun but a couple weeks ago someone said that her kit was schizo and at odds with her purported role and I agree. She's a flanking/disruptor tank like Winston but her shots root her in place, her Defensive Matrix prevents her from attacking unlike Winston's barrier, and her head hitbox is absurdly gigantic. I like playing as her for kicks but when I see a D.va on the other team all I can think of is "free ult charge," even when I'm playing Lucio. D.va's ult is in a good place for area denial, though. You don't even have to kill anybody with it for it to do its job. Her booster's also good if you can knock people off cliffs with it.

Which is the real reason I play so much Lucio to be honest.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I never really played him much because he's a supreme edgelord but boy Reaper is actually really fun

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He is.

I wish I had the Mariachi skins. Both of them.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Dva just doesn't have a very coherent set of abilities. She wants to stay right up on people for the great damage, but has no ability to actually do so because of the long cooldown on the fly and the huge slow while she fires. Her shield gets the most value when she's with the rest of her team, but the rest of her kit is built to make her a flanker. Compare with Winston's shield which can still protect the team even when Winston is quite far from them, as long as he drops it between enemies and his bros. Just in general you can go down the list with her kit and Winston's and Winston is just a lot more reliable at doing most of the same stuff, and the situations where Dva is better are infrequent.

So I think she isn't really fixable without completely replacing at least one of her abilities.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He is.

I wish I had the Mariachi skins. Both of them.

I still think it was a wasted opportunity not making them play mariachi music when you ult

I also wish he had a guitar flourish emote but oh well

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

My entire life has been a lead up to this moment, I think

https://gfycat.com/AcademicImaginaryBorzoi

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I have 15 of 23 hours played as Mei right now.

I regret nothing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Wall jumping with Lucio is ridiculous

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Today I was soloqueuing while waiting for my usual crew to turn up, and a pubbie premade invited me to their party because I was holding it down with toblerone. Here is one such pro play that i enamored them with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2KTJMxyGk

This game is good.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I feel like Zarya doesn't do too poorly against Mcree. Definitely not a hard counter, but I can generally survive if I just pop my shield while he's in flashbang range and aim at his feet (slightly in front of him) with my M2. It's not guarantee, but I can usually push him back and get him to gently caress off. Same if I see him flashbang an ally.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
you know, mei and d.va are weak but functional

zenyatta is just loving trash right now

give him back his hp

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

breaks posted:

Dva just doesn't have a very coherent set of abilities. She wants to stay right up on people for the great damage, but has no ability to actually do so because of the long cooldown on the fly and the huge slow while she fires. Her shield gets the most value when she's with the rest of her team, but the rest of her kit is built to make her a flanker. Compare with Winston's shield which can still protect the team even when Winston is quite far from them, as long as he drops it between enemies and his bros. Just in general you can go down the list with her kit and Winston's and Winston is just a lot more reliable at doing most of the same stuff, and the situations where Dva is better are infrequent.

So I think she isn't really fixable without completely replacing at least one of her abilities.

Turn her ult into a functional copy of the Redeemer from UT and then because her ult overlaps with Junkrat's too much remove Junkrat from the game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Broseph Brostar posted:

You seriously can't hit people with arrows? The hitbox is extremely generous.

I'm being hyperbolic. But it's still a skill to actually land arrows let alone head shot with them compared to a hitscan.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
D.va is a hard counter to Roadhog, pretty much.

Unfortunately Roadhog isn't the kind of character that needs to be hard countered but... it's something at least?

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 27, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Scrub pubs love reaper so I never get to play him.
That being said, a good reaper is pretty scary in pubs because no one watches the flanks to protect your Mercy/Zen/Widow.
Meanwhile I get the Bastion on my team that charges into the enemy cap point and tries to deploy in front of a Widow and a D.Va.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

D.va is a pretty much a hard counter to Roadhog.

Unfortunately Roadhog isn't the kind of character that needs to be hard countered but... it's something?

As a Roadhog player, I don't get this. Roadhog can't do anything about DVa dropping ult in his face, but otherwise he wins a straight 1v1. He has too much hp for Dva to bust through quickly. I'm also pretty sure Dva can't outdamage his heal if he needs to top up mid-duel.

Source: regularly hook DVas and meatshot their face, or even just kill them when they walk up to me and try to 1v1

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 27, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Thor-Stryker posted:

Scrub pubs love reaper so I never get to play him.
That being said, a good reaper is pretty scary in pubs because no one watches the flanks to protect your Mercy/Zen/Widow.
Meanwhile I get the Bastion on my team that charges into the enemy cap point and tries to deploy in front of a Widow and a D.Va.

I think the most common teams I get stuck with are three snipers with two Reapers.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Koskinator posted:

As a Roadhog player, I don't get this. Roadhog can't do anything about DVa dropping ult in his face, but otherwise he wins a straight 1v1. He has too much hp for Dva to bust through quickly.

Yeah, you just dump M1 fire into her enormous face until her mech dies, and then when she ejects you hook and keep on M1-ing. The only part of D.Va's kit that counters him is her ult, and it counters every single hero who decides to sit still and look at it.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Koskinator posted:

As a Roadhog player, I don't get this. Roadhog can't do anything about DVa dropping ult in his face, but otherwise he wins a straight 1v1. He has too much hp for Dva to bust through quickly.

I'm not at home, so I can't test this, but I'm pretty sure there's no way for Roadhog to win a 1v1 with her.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I'm not at home, so I can't test this, but I'm pretty sure there's no way for Roadhog to win a 1v1 with her.

definitely not true

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If you're both holding r1 diva will win. If you stop to heal she still probably wins since she doesn't reload. If she shields she wins faster.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Dva is garbage but you shouldn't feel bad for playing her

But you could really be playing a more useful class.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
D.Va is like the Vanilla WoW Paladin. She runs around with a poo poo-ton of HP but never actually does anything.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Not only are her abilities kind of meh but her ult is easily one the most telegraphed in the game. It's good for getting people to scatter though.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

fadam posted:

definitely not true

How then?

Like, again, I can't test this right now, but I think D.va survives a full clip, perfect hook combo, Meka intact, maybe even without e (e: probably not), and her guns definitely chew both him and his self heal up close range (fat fucker is nothing but HP). Roadhog's going to need to reload and he's a slow motherfucker. D.va doesn't need to reload, she's fast, almost all armor etc.

I'd like to see someone test this. Headshot vs headshot.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 27, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I do wonder if D.Va is better on consoles just because aiming isn't exactly a thing, so her giant headbox doesn't matter. Then again you would think Winston is better on consoles since he has like a 90-degree cone of fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't actually had problems with pubs not picking supports. I regularly see Mercy and Lucio which is nice cause I don't really have any interest in playing them. How effective they are varies but at least people are trying to support in this game.

I don't think I've ever seen a single Zenyatta though.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I do wonder if D.Va is better on consoles just because aiming isn't exactly a thing, so her giant headbox doesn't matter. Then again you would think Winston is better on consoles since he has like a 90-degree cone of fire.

Just cause you're using a controller doesn't mean your aim is going to be that bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

D.va's guns feel like they do .001 damage even at close range, I don't think I've lost a single fight against her literally ever as a pretty consistent Roadhog player. She just kind of sprays BB's at me, I blast her in her massive facebox and she runs away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gross, Lucio is my most played hero

And I only play him when nobody else goes support :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

holy moly okay this game is back to being a slog

half my opponents are people level 40+(!!!!) who no lifed it enough to memorize maps and type "u mad u mad u mad" in chat constantly

why did I think this would be any different than every other blizzard game

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

D.va's guns feel like they do .001 damage even at close range, I don't think I've lost a single fight against her literally ever as a pretty consistent Roadhog player. She just kind of sprays BB's at me, I blast her in her massive facebox and she runs away.

This is like 90% of the issue with D.Va in my opinion. Either a little extra range before extreme falloff (a couple feet vs. point blank) or reducing the movement penalty for firing so people are forced to actually run away instead of just backing up a few feet and dictating the engagement.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Really Senestra, putting like 8 turrets on the doorway in hollywood is PotG. :P

I was on her team and we won, so not really complaining

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't know how you guys do anything with Reaper. He just isn't meshing with me at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that dril guy is a loving treasure, i swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Internet Kraken posted:

Just cause you're using a controller doesn't mean your aim is going to be that bad.

Source: I use a PS4 controller with the sensitivity ratcheted up real high and have gotten multiple Widowmaker potg's of back to back blasting people's faces off. :v:

Also in my defense, my keyboard is screwed up some right now from shift being sunken, which means randomly whatever's on there would go off and that's usually a bad thing. Also I'm weird and don't wanna just rebind so I started up DS4windows instead.