Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Angry Diplomat posted:

I got kinda bummed about CSZO going down (it was my go-to server) and then work got busy and I was completely unaware that a tourney had been announced, so I was pretty disappointed to see that I'd missed it (and a chance to lead Ogrecoming Adversity to hugeness again) altogether. Then I saw that OA had done pretty well in the tourney rankings regardless, with a full roster of players. You guys are all right :)

Whatever happens, we always ogrecome.
True words. Still waiting for our captain to write a summary, proving that Ogres are ogrepogred!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So what's the difference between the three ancestor types? Knight's pretty obvious, but what exactly does battlemage and hexer consist of?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Battlemage gets random offensive spells and casts them at the enemies.
Hexer gets debuff branded dagger and slow, confuse, paralyze.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
http://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#ancestor has details.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you enslave Duvessa and make her kill Dowan, she will still scream in horror and go berserk while remaining under your control. :stonk:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

If you enslave Duvessa and make her kill Dowan, she will still scream in horror and go berserk while remaining under your control. :stonk:

Makes sense.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh, cool, I forgot about the learndb thing.

IronicDongz posted:

wow this is horrifying

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

You monster

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
That is one of the best early uses of Wand of Enslavement. The second is

Nothing more satisfying then watching someone's own posse beat them down.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

wow this is horrifying

i've thought for a long time that the dowan/duvessa situation is one of the most potentially messed-up things in crawl (along with cigotuvi's wizlab)

code:
twin_ikilled Dowan

VISUAL:@The_monster@ is wide-eyed with horror.

@The_monster@ screams.

@The_monster@ shakes @possessive@ head, saying, "No, no, no!"

@The_monster@ screams, "No! What have I done?"

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
PF: In the Oubliette you can improve your karma balance by joining D & D!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PleasingFungus posted:

i've thought for a long time that the dowan/duvessa situation is one of the most potentially messed-up things in crawl (along with cigotuvi's wizlab)

code:
twin_ikilled Dowan

VISUAL:@The_monster@ is wide-eyed with horror.

@The_monster@ screams.

@The_monster@ shakes @possessive@ head, saying, "No, no, no!"

@The_monster@ screams, "No! What have I done?"

I still think the most hosed up thing in Crawl is slimify. Turning a person into a mindless blob actually gives me the jibblies.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my fav is

quote:

<Basil> What happens if you poly duvessa and dowan into slime creatures and poly them again when they merge
<minqmay> Basil: when they merge, one of them will say the line for the other one dying
also, more zombos

still tweaking a zombie wyvern tile, first pass is kinda messy-has too much pink bits(which confuse where the eyes are) and I think I should tweak the wing color. I definitely wanna get a zombie wyvern tile in because I've been spooked by wyverns using the generic 'dragon' zombie tile which fire dragon zombies and such also use too many times

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 27, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Funny thing relating to slime creatures I asked about on IRC when I saw it happen: temporary slime creatures (summons, rakshasa illusions) can merge with real slime creatures, and the game will actually handle the fused slime creature properly if they would disappear from the summoner's death by shrinking the fused slime creature.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shouldn't Hepzabobtle wait until you have a little piety before giving you a ghost dad? Most other gods before they give you useful things.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Shouldn't bog body's skeletons use the new humanoid skeleton tile instead of the old tiny one? I'm very upset by this.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

quote:

This altar will convert you to a god. You cannot discern which. Do you pray?
Xom accepts your prayer!
Xom welcomes you!

:shepface:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Why are thorn hunters so ridiculously powerful? Am I missing something? Is it just because I don't have much EV or what? It seems they hit way too hard for being just a random swamp enemy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BeyondRad posted:

Shouldn't bog body's skeletons use the new humanoid skeleton tile instead of the old tiny one? I'm very upset by this.

Good catch. Fixed!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Shouldn't Hepzabobtle wait until you have a little piety before giving you a ghost dad? Most other gods before they give you useful things.

Nah.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Why are thorn hunters so ridiculously powerful? Am I missing something? Is it just because I don't have much EV or what? It seems they hit way too hard for being just a random swamp enemy.

They're a top-tier Swamp threat. Respect them!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think their tile might not properly convey how dangerous they are, they look like a bit spiced up bush.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just remember that while Thorn Hunters are horrifying and will block off your exit as they needle you to death they are weak to fire. Burn them motherfuckers alive!

Also, I been working on the Hep vault idea I had and hit a snag when I remembered that I have no idea how to code or how LUA works.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Maybe just a name change? 'Thorn Avatar' or something would be a bit more threatening.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Thresher of Thorns. Not to be mistaken for the Trasher of Thrones.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Autoexplore D:9. Round a corner. See a cyclops. Get hit with a thrown rock for 49 damage, out of 50 HP.

Jesus, that's ridiculous.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Also, I been working on the Hep vault idea I had and hit a snag when I remembered that I have no idea how to code or how LUA works.

What are you trying to have the vault do in particular?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm not sure that it is possible, but I can swear I've seen it before, but for tiles around you to change to other of the same type (floor changing color for example) if you start worshiping at that particular altar.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just make shrikes flock to thorn hunters for thematic reasons.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
yeah, that's totally possible. you'd want to mark the relevant terrain with a KPROP, and then use an iter.slave_iterator to do, uh, something. probably. grep around

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
So I just realized one of the errors why I couldn't get anything to work was I was still using a .18 version to build on and well...

Still trying to figure out the rest though!

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
So demigods are a lot cooler than I've given them credit for. An angelic/lesser god race would still be a cool idea but demigods are still cool and good.
I currently have these mutations:
code:
You have a considerably increased reservoir of magic. (+20% MP) (one rank of this is from being a dg)
Your attributes are resistant to harm. (this is from being a dg too)
You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You are partially covered in slimy green scales. (AC +2)
Your skin changes colour to match your surroundings (Stealth+).
You are agile. (Dex +2)
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
Your system is resistant to poisons. (rPois)
You are robust. (+10% HP)
But now I'm holding onto 14 mutagenic chunks and 4 cmut pots.
Is it worth the risk? (I know the answer I just need someone to convince me to eat the purp)

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Always Eat Purple

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
That's all I needed, 1 person.

E:

code:
You have a considerably increased reservoir of magic. (+20% MP)
Your attributes are resistant to harm.
You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You are partially covered in slimy green scales. (AC +2)
You are partially covered in yellow scales. (AC +2)
Your skin changes colour to match your surroundings (Stealth+).
You are agile. (Dex +2)
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
You are robust. (+10% HP)
You regenerate slowly when monsters are visible.
You expend magic power (3 MP) to strengthen your wands.
Hmm I dunno, maybe I should drink 1 cmut and pray to get rid of one of those 2 horrible ones. I have a staff of energy, cboe, and amulet of mag regen so I guess the wands thing isn't bad, and I know regen, so... let it ride and eat more purp I guess?

I lost robust then gained it back. Pretty boring for 14 chunks. I've found like 2 mutation pots this whole game and like 8 cmut pots total. Never had this much cmut before.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 27, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They cranked up the cmut spawn rate after they removed rmut.

TBH the only muts there I'd be sad about losing are robustness and magic-robustness. Everything else is nice, but doesn't outweight slow regen and wandmut.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Acquiring books is pretty much a crapshoot? I've had some bad luck and would be really happy with Haste, Glaciate, Necronomicon... but I am also still wielding a crappy trident at XL 23.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ditch the shield, get a real man's polearm.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Has Kiku's piety gain been drastically nerfed in trunk? I swear it took forever to get that first level (before I died). I would have gained at least two XLs and I found Kiku on D7 so they were bigger XLs. Does getting drained slow piety drain? I was having running battles with wights...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Kiku doesn't give piety for undead stuff right, so if you were killing wights and other zombies/skeles, etc. then you wouldn't be getting as much piety? Just a guess.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Oh, I didn't realise that. Good point, thanks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
code:
Haifisch the Destroyer (High Elf Air Elementalist) Turns: 11299, Time: 00:42:19

Health: 68/68      AC: 11    Str:  7    XL:     10   Next: 81%
Magic:  6/32       EV: 19    Int: 22    God:    Vehumet [***...]
Gold:   475        SH:  7    Dex: 16    Spells: 7 memorised, 6 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis .    a - +5 dagger (elec) {slorg?}
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    u - +0 robe {Archmagi}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    q - +0 buckler
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (no helmet)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    r - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    E - +1 pair of gloves of the Slorg {rElec MR+}
SustAt .          Harm     .    (no boots)
MR     +++..                    k - +2 amulet of reflection
Stlth  +++.......               J - ring of magical power
                                e - +4 ring of evasion

@: very slightly contaminated, repel missiles, extremely resistant to hostile
enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: rough black scales 1, magic resistance 1, poison resistance
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
Archmagi & rElec on an AE by d:10. Taking bets now on how I die horribly.

It's surprisingly fun being pseudo-Nikola and static discharging everything to death, at least. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
How important is rPois to doing swamp and snake? I've got a good MiBe going with some pretty good equipment, but I haven't found any rPois anywhere. I've cleared Lair, Orc, and D:15, and the first three floors of swamp, and I'm not sure if I should try for the swamp rune, try to clear out the first levels of snake, or do something totally different.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Sent/Sent.txt

• Locked thread