Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Gort posted:

I'd be very surprised if it ran better than Civ 5. They'll have thrown in a ton of bells and whistles since graphics - as this thread has shown - matter a ton to players when they decide whether or not to buy.

Personally I'm more concerned with CPU load/processing time for turns, but it would be quite unfortunate if the game had a high barrier of entry (graphically speaking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Civ 5 runs unreasonably bad on modern computers, so I really hope they do a better job in 6

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I feel that Civ 6 will run as well or better than V considering that V is amazingly inefficient and turns even powerful machines into hot stove tops.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The idea of a city sprawling everywhere and taking up nearly all of your land seemed like a turn off at first, but....the more I think about it the more im thinking why not. It shouldn't be easy of course, but why not have mega cities after the modern age? It should be hard to be big early and later it should almost be a necessity, no?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can see it as a district building, like the barracks.

In the context of the screenshot it doesn't look like it's anywhere near the city. And I would have thought it would be part of the military base district, with its signature red colouring - but the only red thing there is a windsock. Looks like airbases are in!

Btw Ed Beach did an interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdl8YVFK4o

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In the context of the screenshot it doesn't look like it's anywhere near the city. And I would have thought it would be part of the military base district, with its signature red colouring - but the only red thing there is a windsock. Looks like airbases are in!

Add to that the fact that it's sitting outside the border of its presumed civ of origin (which only makes sense), so it looks like aircraft outside the city is finally a thing again.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014
Lots of cool info not mentioned yet I think:

The game is going to be 64bit, to be honest I'm not sure what it all means but I guess larger maps are faster and graphics can have more details etc.

Continents now have all different names. In the preview demo the continent is called Lemuria.
Maybe there's some sort of colonizing mechanic or some civics encourage settling other continents, who knows.

Air combat has been reworked. (good)

There's been many many strong hints to canals being in game, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed now after Ed Beach said "Nothing we can talk about now, would make Roosevelt sad if wouldn't have them" when asked.

Civs get three unique units/buildings, and the unique ability (maybe it was mentioned already)

New natural wonder: Pantanal

edit: and war weariness is back according to http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/sid-meiers-civilization-vi

edit2: barbarians create scouts, if they find a settlement and make it back to their camp alive, they shall return with a marauding horde

Come october, and Civ V is obsolete.

Harmonia fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 26, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Jastiger posted:

The idea of a city sprawling everywhere and taking up nearly all of your land seemed like a turn off at first, but....the more I think about it the more im thinking why not. It shouldn't be easy of course, but why not have mega cities after the modern age? It should be hard to be big early and later it should almost be a necessity, no?

Too bad that cities are limited to 32 tiles... Would have been great if cities could grow big enough to swallow nearby smaller cities.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I'd be very surprised if it ran better than Civ 5. They'll have thrown in a ton of bells and whistles since graphics - as this thread has shown - matter a ton to players when they decide whether or not to buy.

Civ5 was badly-optimized, so there's plenty of room for performance improvements. The real question is if they have the necessary software design chops to actually achieve those improvements (and the development time, of course). I don't think this is a question we can really answer at this point. Graphics-wise the games are nothing special (and I wouldn't be surprised if the new graphic style is actually cheaper to render than Civ5's is), but what really matters is what the CPU is up to.

Harmonia posted:

The game is going to be 64bit, to be honest I'm not sure what it all means but I guess larger maps are faster and graphics can have more details etc.

It mostly just means that you'll be able to use more RAM to run the game. Which actually could be a massive performance improvement, since 32-bit programs are limited to 2-3GB of RAM on Windows -- if you need to store more things in memory, then you're swapping to disk, which is slow.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh sure, it's quite possible to optimise the game so it runs better than 5. I just don't think it's high on the list of priorities given that machines are much more powerful now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It mostly just means that you'll be able to use more RAM to run the game. Which actually could be a massive performance improvement, since 32-bit programs are limited to 2-3GB of RAM on Windows -- if you need to store more things in memory, then you're swapping to disk, which is slow.
You swap to disk if physical memory is smaller than virtual memory. If it's the other way around the next call to allocate memory fails when you hit the virtual limit and you crash immediately.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 26, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

You swap to disk if physical memory is smaller than virtual memory. If it's the other way around the next call to allocate memory fails when you hit the virtual limit and you crash immediately.

D'oh, you're right. The problem is address space, not physical memory. I think my brain has been captured by barbarians.

But yes, moving to a 64-bit engine will give them vastly more RAM to play with, so if that's been a constraint on making the game work well, then you can expect Civ6 to improve things. That said, I'm not really sure how having access to large amounts of RAM would improve Civ, since most of the problems the CPU has to solve are not large problems.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best thing in any civ game was nimoy reading the tech quotes.

i fooled you! i fooled you! i got pig iron! i got pig iron! i got allll pig iron!

beep beep beep

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For as much as people dog Civ V performance, remember that it was so much worse.

Civ 5 at release was such a performance mess. I played it on my 2009 era Dell AMD turdbox with a GTX 260 and late game turns would take ~3-5 minutes to process. I'd crank the volume between turns and go fold laundry or clean my house between turns :v:

I think it was ~2012 when it got a huge performance increasing patch to bring it where it is today.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i remember firing up EL and being shocked, shocked, that it only took a few seconds to load up.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best thing in any civ game was nimoy reading the tech quotes.

i fooled you! i fooled you! i got pig iron! i got pig iron! i got allll pig iron!

The best Leonard Nimoy cover of a Johnny Cash song out there.

Is Sean Bean doing the tech quotes or just the announcement video...?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

canyoneer posted:

For as much as people dog Civ V performance, remember that it was so much worse.

Civ 5 at release was such a performance mess. I played it on my 2009 era Dell AMD turdbox with a GTX 260 and late game turns would take ~3-5 minutes to process. I'd crank the volume between turns and go fold laundry or clean my house between turns :v:

I think it was ~2012 when it got a huge performance increasing patch to bring it where it is today.

If I recall, Civ 4 had a huge memory leak issue too at launch. I distinctly remember that long games (i.e., normal games) would slow to a crawl until you restarted.

SpaceCommunist
May 24, 2016

UPHOLD
MARXIST-SQUIDWARDIST
THOUGHT!
Best Leonard Nimoy quote by far was for satellites. "Beep...beep...beep" - it gets me every time.

If they include any quotes from Civ V, I really hope they keep the one for combustion:

"Any man who can kiss a pretty girl while driving safely is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

Also! It seems like the uniques for America have been released, save for the UA itself. I really hope we get to do some trustbusting :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpaceCommunist posted:

If they include any quotes from Civ V, I really hope they keep the one for combustion:

"Any man who can kiss a pretty girl while driving safely is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

I hope they keep the Rocketry one, too:

"A good rule for rocket experiments to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
–Astronautics Magazine 1937

Edit: With the unique film studio, I think it would be an interesting direction of they made America a culture-focused civilization. You can't really argue that America hasn't been a worldwide cultural juggernaut starting in the 1950s.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 27, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually learned a bit from the quotes. Something about the heads of industry don't ever come together-even for merriment and diversion-without the conversation turning to conspiracy against the public.

Also if Sean Bean did all the voiceovers that just upgraded me to whatever special edition they have. Love that guy.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Jastiger posted:

I actually learned a bit from the quotes. Something about the heads of industry don't ever come together-even for merriment and diversion-without the conversation turning to conspiracy against the public.

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public..." —Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aerdan posted:

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public..." —Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

I almost had it :D

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Aerdan posted:

I read that in Nimoy's voice :gonk:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I hope they keep the Rocketry one, too:

"A good rule for rocket experiments to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
–Astronautics Magazine 1937

Edit: With the unique film studio, I think it would be an interesting direction of they made America a culture-focused civilization. You can't really argue that America hasn't been a worldwide cultural juggernaut starting in the 1950s.
Since there's some tile beauty measurement in the game now, you could have a tourism boost since T.R established national parks.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Rexides posted:

I hope that the new policy cards system will have some nuance to it and not just be some switches you flip whenever you declare war. It will be interesting if they make it interact with diplomacy both on the city state level and world congress decisions (if that makes it in), otherwise it won't do that much for me.

One of the articles or Youtubes said the World Congress is one of the few things they dropped, which is a shame because I really liked that system. That said, I have a feeling that when they eventually reveal all the details about their new diplomacy system it won't be missed. And if it is then it's probably a shoe-in for the first expansion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I assume that on one of the lategame techs Sean Bean will be killed mid-narration, like Joseph of Arimathea.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Any information about the naval stuff? I hope they bring back the transport ships

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elias_Maluco posted:

Any information about the naval stuff? I hope they bring back the transport ships

I don't. Micromanaging a bunch of transport ships with 1-unit per tile sounds like an exercise in frustration

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Embarkment is already perfect

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Away all Goats posted:

I don't. Micromanaging a bunch of transport ships with 1-unit per tile sounds like an exercise in frustration

Well, I meant transport ships that can carry a bunch of units, as it used to be before 5. If not, what's the point

what I really hated that is that I had to move a dozen of unit ships across the ocean instead of a couple with half a dozen units inside

I guess they are keeping the 1 unit per tile thing then right? Is disappointing, it was the one thing I never managed to like about 5

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

With regards to sea landings, it looks like they've added cliffs as a terrain modifier. I'm sort of assuming that now you won't be able to embark/disembark over cliffs, so you can have additional considerations for where sea invasions are possible. Unless cliffs are just for the tourism aspect (which, by the way, I think could be a really cool feature - now you can found cities partially because the view of the mountains is amazing or whatever).

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Since they're shaking up all the leaders in Civ 6, what if instead of Caesar and the Roman Empire we got the Roman Republic under someone like Gaius Marius?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

NotALizardman posted:

Since they're shaking up all the leaders in Civ 6, what if instead of Caesar and the Roman Empire we got the Roman Republic under someone like Gaius Marius?

Can you imagine Nero as the Roman leader? I can easily see him as a Culture/Diplomacy leader, if only to move away from the typical view of Rome as military/imperial.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Better off using Hadrian if you want a defensive, cultural Rome, since he did a ton of building projects and cultural stuff.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sarmhan posted:

Better off using Hadrian if you want a defensive, cultural Rome, since he did a ton of building projects and cultural stuff.

'Walls of Babylon were chump change, really.'

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A kinda meaningless graphical flourish I'd really like would be if they took the way the cities in Civ 5 slowly gained more and more little buildings and visually encroached onto the neighbouring tiles as their population grew, and applied that tech to the space around districts. At the moment they have a weird business park feel "edge of the city development" to them, and it'd be neat to see them be swallowed up by urban sprawl and be ringed by little buildings on all sides instead of trees and grass.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I know what you mean, and I love it in the way it makes cities look pleasantly realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided it this time in order to make what's going on on the terrain clearer. Maybe they could allow for some bleeding into adjacent tiles, but use roads to mark district edges.

(Also, please make districts act like roads if we are not allowed to build them wherever we want)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like Qin Shi Huang, the Yellow Emperor. I 100% wager that if it's him, China will be an annoying SoB since his claims to fame are basically big engineering projects (like Wonders) and bureaucratizing the nation to better function as a war machine and conquer the poo poo out of its neighbors.

Looking at this video, I just noticed that China's capital is Xi'an, the capital in the Qin, Han and Tang dynasties. Odds are it really is Qin Shi Huang, but maybe it could be an emperor from the other two dynasties.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kalko posted:

One of the articles or Youtubes said the World Congress is one of the few things they dropped, which is a shame because I really liked that system.
Personally I won't miss it. While the idea is good it basically always just boils down to getting enough money to buy all city states so the AI doesn't ban every luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The Qin dynasty probably played the biggest part in the construction of the great wall too, unifying the existing state walls into a single continuous barrier along the north. Given the way that the great wall is now built (tile by tile), I suspect it might be a unique improvement for China, rather than a world wonder? If so, that fits with Qin being the leader (though that's not saying much since it's only the unique ability that tends to fit the leader, not the unique building/improvement/unit)

Edit: actually I'm really curious as to how the great wall works. How do you finish it, and what happens if someone beats you? Do you keep your pieces? Or can anyone build a wall (like in the Warring States scenario in Civ 4?)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 27, 2016