Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

Yeah, making public the IRC logs wasn't the nicest thing. But Cloudchaser probably shouldn't have talked in IRC about some personal stuff like the Cowboy information. Telling people the cool stuff you wanted to do is fine in my opinion, but he should have waited a while before doomsaying about Red5. And he really didn't need to make fun of the capabilities of his fellow team members (the guy who did the Dread abilities). "The only involvement I had with the Dread abilities was helping fix bugs" would have been a much better way to put it. Everything I hear about the game industry is that it is fairly personal, so he shouldn't be saying this stuff in a public area like IRC.

But whatever. I am a goon and I like to laugh at drama. Even over this stupid, dead game that I love.

I meant it was in poor taste for Cloudchaser to post that stuff in a public chat. He's a good guy, I'm sure he was just relieved to be out of there and get stuff off his chest, but that wasn't the way to do it.

The industry is *tiny*. I waved/nodded to no less than six former Red 5ers on my walk to grab lunch yesterday. People remember this kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

eSporks posted:

Umm, how did PVP ruin the game? No one wanted tgat change except the lovely designer.

I meant PvP in a philosophical sense. Like, the guy looked at a game mechanic through a lens of PvP and thought, "Ah! This should change because if I was in a PvP match I blah blah blah." At least that's what I read the IRC thing as. But also I was just joking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
His thought process probably went like: "Man, nobody plays hip-fire shooters anymore. Everybody complains when there is no iron sights. How do we retain the Call of Duty crowd who try our game?"

I mean, it's not really wrong. Plenty of people have bitched about the lack of iron sights throughout Firefall's history. There are pretty much no major multiplayer PvP shooters out there without iron sights.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Nalin posted:

But whatever. I am a goon and I like to laugh at drama. Even over this stupid, dead game that I love.

This. As many hours of fun as Firefall gave me - I'm not getting about the same watching the drama and upheaval at its demise.

Unrelated: I genuinely, unironically loved the game Hellgate: London and put in hundreds of hours into it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Nalin posted:

His thought process probably went like: "Man, nobody plays hip-fire shooters anymore. Everybody complains when there is no iron sights. How do we retain the Call of Duty crowd who try our game?"

I mean, it's not really wrong. Plenty of people have bitched about the lack of iron sights throughout Firefall's history. There are pretty much no major multiplayer PvP shooters out there without iron sights.

Yeah but how do you remain a crowd that doesn't play the game? I place this on the fact that the game is loving dead, where there used to be at least a dozen people at all times just farting around in hub areas there's now one or two tops, most of the conversations are those community guys with their special symbol and even zone events attract like four or five people. The priority should be to get a player base again which at this point may very well not happen again at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

Yeah but how do you remain a crowd that doesn't play the game? I place this on the fact that the game is loving dead, where there used to be at least a dozen people at all times just farting around in hub areas there's now one or two tops, most of the conversations are those community guys with their special symbol and even zone events attract like four or five people. The priority should be to get a player base again which at this point may very well not happen again at all.

Which servers do you play on? It's not like that on the US servers.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ville Valo posted:

I'm a little surprised the thread was locked and not deleted, but I don't know anything about managing a community.

It was in really poor taste to post that stuff.

Closing the thread with a proper CM response was the easiest way to end the discussion about materials which should have never been aired in a public manner; deleting the thread would have caused some major backlash from the community.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Defaults to the European ones I guess? We used to have herds of Russians roaming the lands being dicks to everybody and hogging all the chat channels. Although I guess if there are a lot of them they will be understood by enough people and there's no rule that compels them to speak English. Now there's just nothing.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Nalin posted:

Counter-Strike.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

You'd think the guy would just suggest that they add a separate zoom button or something. :shrug:

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
So, I'm looking to get back into this game again. Currently going back through all of the noob training since the migration. I've never been great at this game but it is kinda fun. Nalin Im having trouble finding you to join the goon army. Am I just dumb? Am I on the wrong server? Both?! Im in game as Behotti.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys, guess what? Phobos is leaving Red5. Yikes. I believe that FadedPez is now the last "external face" of the company at this point.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm still irritated by the "eat your vegetables" post, but that's pretty depressing.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

And then this is on page two:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Screams eeeEEE posted:

I'm still irritated by the "eat your vegetables" post, but that's pretty depressing.

I don't get that reference. Was that a thing during durability?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah it was that. The condescending tone he took really put me off the game for a long time.

Here's a link for anyone who cares:

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/durability-%E2%80%93-we%E2%80%99re-doin%E2%80%99-it-live-wall-of-text-remix.669441/page-15

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
So the game is down for 26 hours. There doesn't seem to be an official post about it on the forums. Is that standard for the dev team? Seems like a lack of communication on something like that isn't a good thing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Behotti posted:

So the game is down for 26 hours. There doesn't seem to be an official post about it on the forums. Is that standard for the dev team? Seems like a lack of communication on something like that isn't a good thing.

There is an official post.
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/under-way-tuesday-wednesday-server-and-database-maintenance.7415321/

Also, apparently the actor who played Typhon passed away at 49. Can this game ever get a break?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/patch-notes-for-v1-6-1946.7417022/ posted:

Sure Shot should now appropriately increase rate of fire (it was previously decreasing rate of fire).
Invigorate should now appropriately increase rate of fire (it was previously decreasing rate of fire).

I'm a software dev, and what this says about the (in order of importance) state of their process, quality of their codebase, and management, is that it's all poo poo at best. It's technically possible to recover from here ... I've even seen it done. Sometimes the people that never, ever give up are enough to pull up out of this. Usually, though, when it hits this point, it's only downhill. The people that stay are the ones with nowhere to go. Check back in at 1.8, it'll be obvious by then.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

It's really sad too because I'm pretty sure their old CEO is responsible for the messes that they deal with.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'm a software dev, and what this says about the (in order of importance) state of their process, quality of their codebase, and management, is that it's all poo poo at best. It's technically possible to recover from here ... I've even seen it done. Sometimes the people that never, ever give up are enough to pull up out of this. Usually, though, when it hits this point, it's only downhill. The people that stay are the ones with nowhere to go. Check back in at 1.8, it'll be obvious by then.
You are probably right, I mean its Red5 and we have seen how poo poo the company from all of the stuff that has been made public, but that is a pretty common mistake that appears in patch notes for almost every game at some point.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 3, 2016

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
A programmer didn't make that error, a designer did when implementing. The code base works in that it allows designers to implement buffs and debuffs. It doesn't say anything more than that a change snuck into a build untested, which is infinitely more common than you probably think.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

A programmer didn't make that error, a designer did when implementing. The code base works in that it allows designers to implement buffs and debuffs. It doesn't say anything more than that a change snuck into a build untested, which is infinitely more common than you probably think.
Yep, and its as simple as ROF x 50% instead of ROF x 150%.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Because I am crazy, I released version 3.0 of Goon Transit. It adds some quality of life stuff, item rewards in the Zone Explorer, and features a behind-the-scenes code refactor.
code:
Version 3.0
- Added interface sounds.
- Removed raids from the navwheel as they are currently removed from the game.
- The slash command and keybind to launch Zone Explorer now acts as a toggle.
- Added mission item rewards to the Zone Explorer.
Also, check out the Treasure Hunter addon:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/treasure-hunter.7182421/page-2#post-107267722

I've been making some updates to it. It shows you all the invisible Relic Cache's in the zone as you play. You don't have to use your Relic Glider and hope you find a cache. Just save the gliders until you find an invisible cache, then pop one right next to the cache.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Wherein they start posting explicit instructions on how to make the world burn:

http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/gliderpadding.8084122/

There's no way they come back from this unless something truly insane happens. Let's be that truly insane something. Or the spark that sets the fire. Let's burn a world. How can we be the bad guys?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Wait a sec. Do you get stuck in flight forever no matter what, or are people just mad about getting launched?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

The way I understand it, if they're in turret mode, then they get stuck in the flight/turret status and can't move or change anything. That lasts until the glider pad disappears. If you're not in turret mode then you just fly a bit.

No matter the mechanics, it's hilarious.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
LOL! I remember this bug from alpha. The griefing got so bad (especially around printers) that R5 had to fix it. I don't know how they keep unfixing things. Especially things from sooo long ago.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Inimicul posted:

LOL! I remember this bug from alpha. The griefing got so bad (especially around printers) that R5 had to fix it. I don't know how they keep unfixing things. Especially things from sooo long ago.

I cannot imagine any Engine Coders have stuck around through every iteration of the Game, so how good do you think the documentation is between overhauls?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
:siren: Hey guys! Looks like Red5 survived long enough to give us patch 1.7!
http://www.firefall.com/update-17-devils-due

• Level cap increased to 45.
  • Devil's Tusk added back to the game.
  • New world event in Devil's Tusk.
  • Baneclaw raid redone. 10 man level 45 boss fight.
  • New instanced mission.
  • Damage resistances were removed so melding weapons work again (weaknesses are still in the game, though).
  • Jericho now rewards Module Credits.
  • TDM added to PvP.
  • PvP rewards greatly increased. Now rewards guaranteed key fragments and rare items. Lots of new PvP store items too.
  • Elite Rank level system is now on a curve. Everybody has a forced respec. Red beans spend on respecs refunded.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Oh goody, another way to devalue the gear people had from the migration that didn't work in so many ways with content that was already in but now it needs to be unlocked again. Guess the new weapons are nice but that still doesn't fix what they took away with alt fire. At this point they're just so far behind where they should be I have to wonder why they can't just let it die. Probably the CEO isn't done stealing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, whoever still has this thread in their bookmarks take a look at this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefall/comments/4l1agq/what_buying_back_the_firefall_ip_really_means_by/

Yep, that is Mark Kern (Grummz) publicly asking people to stop playing Firefall so it can die so he can buy up all the IP for cheap. Because he's still butthurt about being fired all those years ago.

Firefall hasn't really been doing that well. Patch 1.7 came out with a largely unchanged Devil's Tusk (they removed a bunch of outposts in Devil's Tusk but kept all the assets there, like the job board models. Talk about lazy.) The DT world event is also stupidly impossible to beat. I tried it multiple times and each time the shard I was on failed horribly at it.

Red5 also consolidated all their datacenters to California. Patch 1.8 is scheduled to have crafting and battleframe changes, but most likely won't have the return of Amazon as they lost the majority of the people in the company, which wiped out tons of tribal knowledge in how to actually develop the game. Things are... much slower nowadays.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 26, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
gently caress it. Let him back in. It can't get worse, can it? At least when he was running the show they had employees, content, and a bus.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

How will Kern fit this in with his busy schedule of sticking his nose in the private vanilla wow server shitshow?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I'd be fine with that, if only to see their investor overlords take the hit.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Inimicul posted:

gently caress it. Let him back in. It can't get worse, can it? At least when he was running the show they had employees, content, and a bus.

If it were anyone else I'd say gently caress yeah, but Kern is the biggest piece of poo poo since Notch. I'd happily watch the 2-3k I've spent on this game go to waste to gently caress him over.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
The problem is a failed game can be worth more to a company as a loss then the gains it could make from a firesale. This happened to City of Heroes a long time back.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Inimicul posted:

People on reddit are saying this without a hint of sarcasm.

I say gently caress him. He's a dick, and should spend his time either owning his mistakes and apologizing, or making his own games that no one will buy.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
This game used to be so much fun....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I was just thinking the same thing a couple days ago, after having not played since shortly after launch. For me I think it was when they took away the flowchart that led to the other frames like Magnum and Brontodon or w/e the heavy frames were called. It kind of took away some of the excitement for future stuff, and I think around the same time they changed crafting so that you were looking for one particular resource instead of trying to mix some together. I don't know why, but I kind of like games with too many numbers, weather it's resistances or dodging and armor penetration or w/e. Maybe it's because there's more room for specialization :shrug:

• Locked thread