Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nobody mentioned it yet, but the new Pi 3 is getting mainline Android support. Not sure what exactly you'd do with it, but it's certainly becoming a reference design, it runs Windows, Linux, FreeRTOS, Android (a Linux variant), FreeBSD (of which OSX is a variant). It may have a crappy GPU, but at least it's well supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier support for touch screen developing would be the plus.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I dunno, I find the Pi 3 runs pretty much everything not 3D in MAME pretty well assuming you get the right romset or convert it using clrmamepro to the right version (which was a bit of a pain admittedly, but not a massive headache with the tutorial on the retropie site)

Using a newer set converted to 0.139 (or whatever the one the experimental lr-mame2010 runs) 90% of stuff runs pretty drat good, and the things that don't I just try an earlier emulator (lr-mame2003 or one of the advmame ones) and those seem to run them at full speed or close to it.

Not sure why SF2 wouldn't be running for some folks. All the Street Fighters up to Alpha 3 run flawlessly for me in lr-mame2010, and that's supposed to be the slowest one on there.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 26, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was too lazy to convert it so that's why. I wish there was a repository for converted ones online somewheres. :shrug:

I want to make a Pi Selfie Station / Photo Booth but have 0 clue how to solder; any of you guys know if there's some kind of USB interface that exists for push buttons so I don't have to solder?

Is soldering even that hard :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just get a USB keypad and fire on any of those keys. You can double-side tape a panel to it too, to present a huge target that drunk people can hit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's a great idea lmao.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eightysixed posted:

Whoever would try any type of CAD on a Pi, currently, is a larger idiot than all of us.

People did CAD on systems a fraction as powerful. It'd just be doing modern CAD that would be a problem.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hadlock posted:

FreeBSD (of which OSX is a variant).

It's really not in any meaningful way.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

Nobody mentioned it yet, but the new Pi 3 is getting mainline Android support. Not sure what exactly you'd do with it, but it's certainly becoming a reference design, it runs Windows, Linux, FreeRTOS, Android (a Linux variant), FreeBSD (of which OSX is a variant). It may have a crappy GPU, but at least it's well supported.

I'm interested in how this will work out since we've been told that until we got hardware acceleration for the GPU it would be an impossible affair. All attempts until now have been utter failures because of the lack of proprietary drivers. If the Pi managed to get Android functional I'd really expect it to get supremely popular. The Android ecosystem is astonishingly large and gives access to better programs for a variety of functions. Touch screen media palyers and a better variety of GPS programs would make it quite the choice for putting inside cars. As is the standard "I put a Pi in my car running XBMC" are quite lackluster since XBMC isn't really intended as a touchscreen program.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 27, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That'd be perfect for mine

I've got a pi with touch screen in the kitchen that basically just runs chrome. Its hooked up to speakers and gets used for play music, Mixcloud, SoundCloud etc. Recipes too

Its a bit clunky as chrome is quite slow, being able to run the native apps would be amazing

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

YouTuber posted:

As is the standard "I put a Pi in my car running XBMC" are quite lackluster since XBMC isn't really intended as a touchscreen program.

There's actually been a massive focus on touchscreen support for the past 2 or 3 years. One of the stock skins it ships with now has a touchscreen mode, and there's a few other really nice ones that do a great job with it.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Not to mention, the new default skins coming in Kodi 17 (Estuary/Estouchy) has even better touch support.

https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-future-kodi-versions/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

that's a great idea lmao.

That said soldering is pretty easy to learn and a really useful skill to have, and its pretty cheap to get into.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
If you want to do more than solder some cables invest into a good soldering station though, else you won't have any fun.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
If you get more serious about soldering and circuit boards, you'll want to get or build a reflow oven (Google search for toaster oven reflow kit for a cheaper option)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I came across a raspberry pie B which I think is the version 1. I installed retro pie which runs fine, but it's strange that Genesis games run full speed but nes and snes are stuttering, I've read that I might be using a under amped power supply which could be the issue or my usb pad might be eating cycles. Should nes Mario bros and Zelda lttp run full speed by default?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

I came across a raspberry pie B which I think is the version 1. I installed retro pie which runs fine, but it's strange that Genesis games run full speed but nes and snes are stuttering, I've read that I might be using a under amped power supply which could be the issue or my usb pad might be eating cycles. Should nes Mario bros and Zelda lttp run full speed by default?

You may need to fiddle with the settings for the NES and SNES emulators - but expect games for the SNES that used a lot of expansion chips (Like Star Fox, the later Megaman X games, etc) to be slow regardless. I would try another power supply anyway, but just keep in mind in best circumstances a lot of the snes stuff will be slow no matter what.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That seems like a weird failure mode for a brownout condition, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. I would think it would either work or crash horribly just like when a desktop processor doesn't have enough voltage to be stable. But I don't really know for sure, maybe there's some kind of failsafe mode. I guess the SoC is a smartphone model after all.

On that note, if you're not getting enough speed you may want to try overclocking it a bit. It's not going to be a groundbreaking difference but it might help tip it into "playable" territory. You can push it a bit farther with no cooling, a passive cooler or a fan-cooled heatsink will get you a little more range beyond that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get the FLIRC case or other cooling case, and overclock it to this (and void your warranty, but who cares at this point)

gpu_mem=256
force_turbo=1
arm_freq=1000
sdram_freq=500
core_freq=500
over_voltage=6
temp_limit=75
boot_delay=
disable_splash=1

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SopWATh posted:

If you get more serious about soldering and circuit boards, you'll want to get or build a reflow oven (Google search for toaster oven reflow kit for a cheaper option)

I'd buy a cheapo hot air rework station first (but before that I'd buy a nice Hakko soldering iron/station). A reflow oven is great for doing larger batches of stuff but for just hacking on stuff yourself you can do plenty of surface mount and other things with a nice soldering station and fine tip + a hot air rework station. Watch EEVblog videos on surface mount soldering and he shows lots of good tips on doing most parts.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I did a bit more testing with my Model B Retropi setup with mixed results. I tested using a 5V 2A power source and used the only two USB controllers I had, a hori fighting commander and a PS3 controller. The lag is definitely caused by the controllers because when start the game there's some lag but as soon as I unplug the controller it speeds up the game. The strange thing I noticed is the PS3 controller causes more lag than the hori. I'm assuming there's some weird voodoo going on in the those controllers so maybe a cheapo logitech will fare better. I also overclocked to the modest setting and that helped things a bit. Is it safe to use modest without a heatsink?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

I'd buy a cheapo hot air rework station first (but before that I'd buy a nice Hakko soldering iron/station). A reflow oven is great for doing larger batches of stuff but for just hacking on stuff yourself you can do plenty of surface mount and other things with a nice soldering station and fine tip + a hot air rework station. Watch EEVblog videos on surface mount soldering and he shows lots of good tips on doing most parts.

That's a good option too, I just don't like waiting for the wand to heat up part of a board while also making the room hot before I have to move the board to get the other part of the board fixed while the room gets even hotter. Yes, I am a big baby.

-Buy dispensing tips on ebay, they're significantly cheaper there than anywhere else. JensenGlobal probably has a better selection, but the price isn't good for home-users.
-Buy the 15gram tubes of solder paste to start, even though it's more expensive per gram the flux doesn't last very long and will go bad before you can finish your project.
-Be sure your solder paste dispenser has the vacuum feature so it really-really for sure stops dispensing whatever amount you set it to.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

I did a bit more testing with my Model B Retropi setup with mixed results. I tested using a 5V 2A power source and used the only two USB controllers I had, a hori fighting commander and a PS3 controller. The lag is definitely caused by the controllers because when start the game there's some lag but as soon as I unplug the controller it speeds up the game. The strange thing I noticed is the PS3 controller causes more lag than the hori. I'm assuming there's some weird voodoo going on in the those controllers so maybe a cheapo logitech will fare better. I also overclocked to the modest setting and that helped things a bit. Is it safe to use modest without a heatsink?

I can't imagine it wouldnt be. Check the temps while you're running whatever and see. I'm on that above mentioned overclock and rarely break 50c using OpenELEC

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Bovril Delight posted:

I can't imagine it wouldnt be. Check the temps while you're running whatever and see. I'm on that above mentioned overclock and rarely break 50c using OpenELEC

Thanks, I actually went and grabbed some $2 heatsinks at radioshack. I stuck one on the big chip in the middle of the model B and I've been running at 1GHz for an hour or so without issue. Games run much smoother now though there are some small hickups. Do I need heatsinks for all the chips on the board?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a convenient way to have a RasPi3 act as a Bluetooth receiver for your iPhone using the built in receiver? My car doesn't have an Aux jack and I figure I could do a little rewiring and hook the Pi up to the internal sound system and play music to it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Warbird posted:

Is there a convenient way to have a RasPi3 act as a Bluetooth receiver for your iPhone using the built in receiver? My car doesn't have an Aux jack and I figure I could do a little rewiring and hook the Pi up to the internal sound system and play music to it.

I'd just get something like : http://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Multi-Point-Activation/dp/B00GJFGE0K/ref=pd_cp_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=18XD51D7Q6Q6H2S8QB6D

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I always wanted to pair my phone to a hobbyist board and then wire it in to a relay to control a three speed floor fan (or insert domestic appliance here, maybe an old electro-mechanical clotheswasher) by interpreting the forward/back, vol up/down commands, etc so you could easily control the fan with any phone. Turns out Bluetooth has a very standardized "DVD player/audio receiver" protocol/mode that you can easily leverage, if you can get the pi to emulate it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'll look into it. I've seen pi powered car media center type dohickeys, and I wouldn't mind taking a swing at it myself if for no other reason than to do it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

Bluetooth in Linux sucks even for "stable" distro like Ubuntu. I'd recommend a purpose built device to handle Bluetooth.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have a pi in the kitchen hooked up to speakers running shairport-sync

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

It'll show up as an airplay speaker and works really well

The audio out on the pi is poo poo though, so invest in a usb (or HAT) dac

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Hi All,

would a Pi2 / 3 be robust enough to work as a VPN gateway at a remote site?
I looke after a few remote networks which are on ADSL connection and use consumer grade routers with no VPN capability and there is only so much I can with port forwarding.

I'd like to put a Pi3 in the server rack, open the right ports on the router and use it as a VPN gateway, but I'm wondering if repeated connects and disconnects will cause it to become unstable ?

if this is a good idea, does anyone have suggestions for VPN software to run on the Pi ?

cheers :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'll probably work, but if that's for work-related stuff just get a decent SMB router with a VPN endpoint.

spiny
May 20, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

It'll probably work, but if that's for work-related stuff just get a decent SMB router with a VPN endpoint.

I'd love to, but that costs (more) money.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It might also make more sense to look into a Mikrotik box - a low end one won't cost that much more than the Pi and is a lot more custom built for that kind of job. As a bonus, it won't corrupt its system partition if you have a brownout!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spiny posted:

Hi All,

I looke after a few remote networks which are on ADSL connection and use consumer grade routers with no VPN capability and there is only so much I can with port forwarding.

I'd like to put a Pi3 in the server rack, open the right ports on the router and use it as a VPN gateway, but I'm wondering if repeated connects and disconnects will cause it to become unstable ?

if this is a good idea, does anyone have suggestions for VPN software to run on the Pi ?

How much bandwidth and how many users does it need to handle? It can really only do 100 megabit bidirectional throughput at most, and usually a bit less than that, especially if it'll also be writing to disk often. And as far as unique sessions going on at once, many people can't do more than 25 users before it starts having issues.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

spiny posted:

I'd love to, but that costs (more) money.

Take a look at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, its price is very close to the Pi3+stuff and does a lot of routing and vpn in a well done web management interface.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

yomisei posted:

Take a look at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, its price is very close to the Pi3+stuff and does a lot of routing and vpn in a well done web management interface.

I was going to suggest this, it's less than $100 and will support everything you need. I push full gigabit through these and they work better than if I had bought a Cisco router that costs 10x as much. The rpi on the other hand will struggle to do 100Mbps, especially if you add strong encryption.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 9, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I mean why would you not just buy the right hardware here? Are you really hard-up for rack space or something? Particularly something that will be used by lots of people.

Anything hardware accelerated is going to blow away anything except a serious server-class system. If you really want to homebrew, this is what ALIX PC Engines and Intel Avoton are for.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

spiny posted:

Hi All,

Check out for OpenWRT. It is a router/network oriented linux distro and there is a Raspberry Pi binary. I use one to let me into my home network under VPN (openVPN), but mine is just a hobby installation. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

fishmech posted:

How much bandwidth and how many users does it need to handle? It can really only do 100 megabit bidirectional throughput at most, and usually a bit less than that, especially if it'll also be writing to disk often. And as far as unique sessions going on at once, many people can't do more than 25 users before it starts having issues.

it' would just be me logging in to access and admin the phone systems.