Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is my watch:

I am literally 8 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
So my career has been a bit of a winding road. The environmental engineering world was way too volatile, so I went to work in the service department for a family friend's business. We're a distributor for commercial and industrial laundry equipment. After a year and a half doing that, I tried chasing money and took a job for a battery manufacturer in their EHS department. I was instantly miserable and I hated that job from day one. I went back to the laundry business after a month, but this time in sales. After 3 weeks, I finally made my first sale. Two 60 lb washers, two 40 lb washers, and a 45 lb stack dryer to a laundromat on St. Simons Island for a grand total of $40000. :feelsgood:

I wasn't sure how I would deal with the near constant rejection of this type of sales, which necessitates a large amount of cold calling in person. Turns out I deal with it just fine, and I love meeting new people and trying to connect with them and help them get the most out of their business.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

gently caress that. Casio Waveceptor. Solar, atomic, and subdued. With a resin or leather or metal band.

Or you can buy the best Casio for $10

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My friends truck is packed full of tents, chairs, clothes, sleeping bags, and beer. Trailer is full of the Grom, two Zuma's, an old Yamaha 100cc, and a lovely Kicker 5150 that we pulled out of my friends work for free. Tomorrow I get off at noon, and then we're heading straight up north and getting lovely. :feelsgood:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wikipedia posted:

According to secret documents issued to interrogators at Guantánamo Bay, obtained[5] and released by The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantánamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F91W – available online for as little as £4 – suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaeda in Afghanistan."[6] United States Military intelligence officials have identified the F91W as a watch that terrorists use when constructing time bombs.[7][8][9][10][11]

Reminds me of a crazy dictator (I forget which) executing everyone with glasses because having glasses = intellectual.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My 'watch' is a Garmin fitness tracker thing. First time I've worn anything on my wrist in 30 years. Even after about 4 months now it still feels strange and bugs me at times.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I wear an Apple Watch because it is a good watch and a good fitness tracker

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Deeters posted:

Seiko 5s rule and that's the watch you should get. Amazon puts them on sale all the time and I got mine for $40. Good enough to be classy, cheap enough I don't mind if I bounce it off a bulkhead at work.

That's actually what I wear now. Mine got hella scratched up working on my kart when I forgot to take it of and I just laughed about it.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I have a Garmin fitness tracker that I hate the gently caress out of, and I have an old watch that was my grandpa's but it's incredibly gaudy and (fake) gold so I haven't really worn it. I'm currently saving up towards a real watch, an Archimede Pilot 36.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Reminds me of a crazy dictator (I forget which) executing everyone with glasses because having glasses = intellectual.

That's Pol Pot you're thinking of. Very, very hosed up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, we just went from a little understaffed to insanely understaffed. Had 2 people quit for full time positions elsewhere. One with a two weeks notice that we had worked out by covering ourselves very thin, the other with nothing but a note dropped on the desk while he was in buying poo poo with his employee account. The flake gave notice and the insanely polite and dependable dude dropped the note, go figure. And in the middle of all this mess, I've got to sclep my rear end down to lakeland for a full day to loving go to a corporate mandated training session on the job I've already been doing for the last 6 months. And its all right before the store managers vacation she has to take or lose for the year. May 2016 can :fuckoff:

Dependable people don't often just go like that. Were I you, I'd be asking myself what they know that you don't.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

I wear an Apple Watch because it is a good watch and a good fitness tracker

I really want an Apple Watch, but waiting until the next gen if I end up getting one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I still have an old Seiko diver's watch I got in Japan in the early 90's. I love Seikos, wish I could wear them :(

Fat wrists? 😂

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tide posted:

I really want an Apple Watch, but waiting until the next gen if I end up getting one.

It is straight up the best $300 I've ever spent

Edit: actually I got it for $150 but still

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fat wrists? 😂

You really think I'm fat don't you.

Taco Bell doesn't think I'm fat :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I have super duper small girl wrists

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I know Five Guys that don't think I'm fat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm skinny

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Bad news: Got pulled over *right* after jumping onto the freeway. Was doing 80 at the end of the ramp, then hit a little bit of traffic which forced me to slow down. *crap*

Good news: Cop didn't get a good read on my speed (or was being very generous) and gave me a verbal warning on the speed and a fix-it for no front plate. *one luck SOB*

"So, why did you jump on the freeway and immediately crank it? There must have been a reason."
"uhhhh, no, not really sir." (beautiful night, not much traffic, perfect conditions, high off a dodgeball win....)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ssjonizuka posted:

^^^
Self winding watches are amazing, especially if you have a daily. I don't wear mine daily, so have a "winder", no complaints. Except I need to adjust the timing.. it picks up a few minutes a week.

My phone picks up roughly a minute and a half per day. :colbert:

And now that Amazon has banned rooted phones (... along with any Nexus and Huawei device, and several HTC phones, since their programmers are loving dipshits), I can no longer run ClockSync a couple of times a day to keep it reasonably synced. :fuckoff:

Watch chat, I can barely tolerate wearing my Fitbit. The only watches I've ever been able to really tolerate have been 80s-90s Swatches. Still like them, but it's hard to find a functional one these days. I have a Pebble, but it's too bulky for me (plus has to be charged every few days... and the whole "can't find the drat charging cable" bit at the moment, hopefully it turns up when I move).

Cakefool posted:

If the metal of watch bands irritates you you may have a nickel sensitivity.

Also this. Nickel makes any part of my body that it touches break out like crazy. I'm not sure what other metals I'm allergic to, but I know most metal necklaces give me a rash.

leica posted:

I know Five Guys that don't think I'm fat.

Yeah but you've had the same Five Guys in your mouth, at the same time. They may be a bit biased, don't you think?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How does the signal strength of those saucer shaped APs compare to a high-end router with external antennas?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1500quidporsche posted:

I've spent literally millions of hours sifting through watch designs and the only one I liked was a cheap rear end Seiko 5. All the Swiss stuff now is too gaudy and huge in my opinion. I want a watch on my wrist, not a dinner plate.

Check this out: http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/105372801914/wed-like-to-sell-15-mondaine-watches-this-week
http://www.jomashop.com/mondaine-watches.html

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
WANTED: Raleigh NC goon with a trailer or VA goon with a dealer license for Wet Hot Vantasy Action

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Dependable people don't often just go like that. Were I you, I'd be asking myself what they know that you don't.

Its likely to do with the fact that he got an offer of full time hours, benefits and a higher hourly rate, but had to start immediately. He was the only part time counter person left doing it as a primary source of income. All our other part timers are semi-retired or are doing it as a second job. He's still a good guy and I'd get beers with him or something. :shrug:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

How does the signal strength of those saucer shaped APs compare to a high-end router with external antennas?

Significantly better as long as you mount them on the wall or ceiling like they're intended to be mounted.

Enterprise-grade (or at least SMB-grade since I wouldn't roll out UniFis at a multinational corporation, that's what Cisco is for) wifi access points beat the poo poo out of almost every consumer AP i've ever come across in both throughput and range, especially if you have a lot of clients. The beamforming shenanigans and other RF voodoo you get out of them is pure goddamn magic.

I was about to post about this but wes has beaten me to the punch with a far better explanation.

some texas redneck posted:

My phone picks up roughly a minute and a half per day. :colbert:

Do... do you guys not have network time? My phones synchronize themselves with the cell network, both iOS and android, and are never out by more than a minute or so (irregular syncs) - the Android phone can sync with GPS, too

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jamal posted:

For when you need to know the time to within about 15min.

Honestly if I need to know the time with greater precision I'll pull my phone out. I like it, plus seeing where you are in the whole day might give a better perspective on how much of it you're wasting :v:

I don't know, I like the idea but right now I've better things to spend money on, like home improvements, a holiday for the kids, a bitchin' bow, I'd like to build a car port over the drive next to the garage, stuff like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

Do... do you guys not have network time? My phones synchronize themselves with the cell network, both iOS and android, and are never out by more than a minute or so (irregular syncs) - the Android phone can sync with GPS, too

We do, but the phone doesn't seem to sync very often. It definitely syncs at boot, I don't think it syncs any other time.

My main phone is getting re-rooted soon anyway, since I like being able to make full backups, and like being able to install Ad Away.

I threw my old phone on T-Mobile's nerd plan ($30/mo, 100 minutes/5GB @ 4G speeds+unlimited @ 2G speeds) and put my work-related stuff on it. At least now I can easily write off phone expenses on my taxes, since that phone will be used for nothing but work. My work apps only use a few hundred MB per month, not counting Google Maps; Maps chews through data if I keep satellite view enabled, but if I keep it off I can keep that phone's data usage really low. Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Music, Slacker Radio, etc don't count toward my high speed allotment anyway if I allow T-Mobile to decrease the streaming quality (aka "Binge On"), so I could even stream music from that phone while driving without hitting my data allotment.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 27, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ummm... I need to put my brother's WRC2 car on a big diet. 100kgs heavier than any other car at Rally of Canberra.... I'm honestly wondering how the gently caress a 2007 STI gets to 1607kgs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummm... I need to put my brother's WRC2 car on a big diet. 100kgs heavier than any other car at Rally of Canberra.... I'm honestly wondering how the gently caress a 2007 STI gets to 1607kgs.

Empty beer cans.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
GoPro's provided video conversion/editing software has become increasingly time-consuming to use. It took TWO HOURS just to convert last weekend's videos; for s'n'g I downloaded the free version of Filmora and it did the precise same thing in about 15. Anyone got advice for free or cheap video editing and conversion software? It'd also be helpful if it could do any sorts of overlays or PiP stuff.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Apparently you can modify a drain blaster to shoot Nerf darts at over 200FPS.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sigma X posted:

GoPro's provided video conversion/editing software has become increasingly time-consuming to use. It took TWO HOURS just to convert last weekend's videos; for s'n'g I downloaded the free version of Filmora and it did the precise same thing in about 15. Anyone got advice for free or cheap video editing and conversion software? It'd also be helpful if it could do any sorts of overlays or PiP stuff.

What platform?

Windows Movie Maker is simple and does a few things - though perhaps not the fancy stuff you want

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

Empty beer cans.

How the hell can you stuff 200kgs of empty cans in a Subaru???

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How the hell can you stuff 200kgs of empty cans in a Subaru???

dedication to a cause.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

spog posted:

What platform?

Windows Movie Maker is simple and does a few things - though perhaps not the fancy stuff you want

Win10. I've tried WMM but it doesn't even seem to allow me to adjust brightness and contrast.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sigma X posted:

Win10. I've tried WMM but it doesn't even seem to allow me to adjust brightness and contrast.

You can adjust brightness, but not contrast

Agreed that it is quite limited in abilities.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I wear a Citizen Skyhawk AT i got 8 years back.

Solar powered (with a battery that lasts 6 months in pitch black) and radio controlled so I never have to change the time.

It's managed to survive a fair few blows from people mainly messing about and swinging a punch with more damage to them than me.

Seems everyone at work knows I'm moving in a few months despite trying to keep it low key because I'm waiting on security clearance.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Found a Filipino restaurant last night. So so good.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

It's pretty hard to screw a kid up beyond repair, you'll do fine.

• Locked thread