Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when i return from my overwatch break i hope i too can play a support yasuo game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
poo poo like Yasuo or kha'zix support only works in scenarios where you and your lane partner know bot lane extremely well and when to trade and when to back off which doesn't even happen in challenger all the time so really the only situation where it's acceptable is if your like a diamond smurf playing with your bronze friends on a low level account.

Maybe you can cheese someone every now and then or you luck out and they just have a really bad not combo that's exploitable but usually all you end up doing is going even at best and not buying a sight stone so you pay for it later

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Counter-argument: HASAYO

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

RealFoxy posted:

poo poo like Yasuo or kha'zix support only works in scenarios where you and your lane partner know bot lane extremely well and when to trade and when to back off which doesn't even happen in challenger all the time so really the only situation where it's acceptable is if your like a diamond smurf playing with your bronze friends on a low level account.

Maybe you can cheese someone every now and then or you luck out and they just have a really bad not combo that's exploitable but usually all you end up doing is going even at best and not buying a sight stone so you pay for it later

I actually had an in-game discussion with my team that had some idiot play support Yasuo. Even though we won, I was surprised to hear everyone other than the support Yasuo inform him that he was confusing the notion that the team won with the idea being a good one. (Correlation not being causation, essentially.)

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the idea that winning with something or doing well with something makes it good is the classic mistake people make with competitive games

the battle rages on in the overwatch thread

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

exethan posted:

im afraid i have to dodge this yasuo support game in mid platinum

yasuo hard counters nami believe man

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I had to play with this guy's Teemo

He's Gold 2

"I'm drunk... wait, is this ranked???"

The rest of you have no excuse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i played with a dude who was still living the morde adc dream. the new dragons are actually hilarious with morde, the air one is too fast to outrun.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I wish Morde could enslave the spider on TT. Or if he could enslave any jungle camp and have it follow him around. Big ol' ghost army.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Morde is still great, he just needs a support that will go completely ham, like leona or braum. It is a kill-or-be-killed lane.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I don't understand what it is about bronze, but how far behind someone is -- is directly proportional to how risky their plays become. I keep getting these games where one of my allies go 0/5 and they will not stop trying to solo their 5/0 lane opponent. Then by the time laning phase is over they are 0/10 and the enemy is 10/0 and that's that. Just lost a promo round because my Darius top (with heal?) went 1/14.

Good news is on average I am slowly climbing now that I switched to Sona support. She's kind of OP in bronze. If you pair with a cait or lucian it's basically impossible to lose lane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LegalPad posted:

I don't understand what it is about bronze, but how far behind someone is -- is directly proportional to how risky their plays become. I keep getting these games where one of my allies go 0/5 and they will not stop trying to solo their 5/0 lane opponent. Then by the time laning phase is over they are 0/10 and the enemy is 10/0 and that's that. Just lost a promo round because my Darius top (with heal?) went 1/14.
it's called tilt

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fluffdaddy posted:

Sometimes you find some hilarious poo poo on a profile search. "17-0 as support Dr. Mundo. Well, okay I guess!?"

I guess it's kinda different with a mundo but i never trust a support that doesn't die, A zero death support means a walking corpse for an adc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also this may seem crazy to you but if someone is 0/5 in lane there's a really strong chance that them "trying to solo the 5/0 enemy laner" is just them trying to exist in lane with someone they can no longer be near and dying because they thought they could CS near the tower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elfgames posted:

I guess it's kinda different with a mundo but i never trust a support that doesn't die, A zero death support means a walking corpse for an adc

That's silly. On an all-in support maybe but if I'm playing Janna then I'm only dying if I gently caress up hard even if my ADC is stomping lane.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

I wish Morde could enslave the spider on TT. Or if he could enslave any jungle camp and have it follow him around. Big ol' ghost army.

No, go away, don't ever give this suggestion to Riot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Elentor posted:

No, go away, don't ever give this suggestion to Riot.

Morde + Yorick Roam Army, 2spooky4lol

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Sometimes you find some hilarious poo poo on a profile search. "17-0 as support Dr. Mundo. Well, okay I guess!?"

This is playable, if not exactly good (Mundo has very few AP/AD scalings so playing him in support is not terrible if you can land cleavers consistently). I think I won one of my plat promo games last season with a support Mundo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Support Mundo's main issue is that he doesn't really bring anything into team fights other than chucking cleavers and dying really fast. He can use his cleavers to bully people out of lane but, well, the phase 'glorified minion' gets tossed around a lot but a Mundo with no gold and a support tax is literally a glorified minion.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Also this may seem crazy to you but if someone is 0/5 in lane there's a really strong chance that them "trying to solo the 5/0 enemy laner" is just them trying to exist in lane with someone they can no longer be near and dying because they thought they could CS near the tower.

Look, people sometimes lose their lane. The problem is when they have the mindset that they need to constantly trade even when it is obviously unfavorable. These are the people who get to 0/5 in the first place.
0/4 Darius gets killed. 0/5 Darius teleports back into lane, then immediately walks up to 5/0 Fiora and apprehends her. It's baffling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what role do you play? because if it's jungler or mid just go 'hug your turret for a bit and stay safe, ill gank' after they die a few times and even if you don't get the kill you've given them some breathing room and made it so they aren't as tilted

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

what role do you play? because if it's jungler or mid just go 'hug your turret for a bit and stay safe, ill gank' after they die a few times and even if you don't get the kill you've given them some breathing room and made it so they aren't as tilted

Support. Yeah, I hear you.
I'm still winning more games than I lose, so I'm slowly climbing, but it seriously feels like most of my losses at this point are because over the top mental breakdown tilts. Double burns on a promo.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

In my experience that makes the 5/0 Darius into a 7/0 Darius

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

sometimes it's just better to cut that lane loose; if they keep dying and giving their paltry bounty but stall the towers being destroyed it's a better situation than sending a bunch of people to commit who'll just get multikilled and/or counterganked for free objectives.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wow the animations for super galaxy kindred are dope

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Ignite Memories posted:

Morde is still great, he just needs a support that will go completely ham, like leona or braum. It is a kill-or-be-killed lane.

Nautilus and Blitzcrank are the optimal supports for ADC Mordekaiser imo. Just don't go ham until both of you hit lvl 3

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Endorph posted:

Support Mundo's main issue is that he doesn't really bring anything into team fights other than chucking cleavers and dying really fast. He can use his cleavers to bully people out of lane but, well, the phase 'glorified minion' gets tossed around a lot but a Mundo with no gold and a support tax is literally a glorified minion.

I'm not arguing that it's good but his attributes (strong poke which scales only with levels, manaless, tanky) make him better at support than probably half the champions in the game. If you want a truly awful support then we're talking another ADC or Warwick or Yorick or Nasus or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat it. Two S ranks and then an S- because the enemies dedicated themselves to suicide-killing me. Why are you so cruel, Riot scoring system

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
i haven't played sona in a long time, and i keep making really bad decisions and having horrible games. like i'm playing as badly as i used to a year ago when i played her all the time. really sucks because shes just not fun to play like this. can you play a champion too much? if this happens to janna that's it, it's over...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blah_blah posted:

I'm not arguing that it's good but his attributes (strong poke which scales only with levels, manaless, tanky) make him better at support than probably half the champions in the game. If you want a truly awful support then we're talking another ADC or Warwick or Yorick or Nasus or something.
it scales with spirit visage in terms of cost

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just got out of an... enlightening match. I have 33 wins this season, prolly played 60 games. My teammates were higher up there with like 70 wins. Our entire opposing team had more than 300+ wins each.

Two questions: First, how do you keep from getting discouraged when people say "Never played ranked until you have played this game 200 hours" and realize that it is the norm? Second, how do 5 people win 373+ times and stay in bronze?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apply the second question to the first question and you'll have the answer to both

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

KirbyKhan posted:

Just got out of an... enlightening match. I have 33 wins this season, prolly played 60 games. My teammates were higher up there with like 70 wins. Our entire opposing team had more than 300+ wins each.

Two questions: First, how do you keep from getting discouraged when people say "Never played ranked until you have played this game 200 hours" and realize that it is the norm? Second, how do 5 people win 373+ times and stay in bronze?

1. that "never play ranked until X" is a fallacy because you will get placed where you belong as you win or lose, which can range from bronze to platinum+. keep in mind Silver 4 is where the most average players belong. anything lower is below the average and higher is above average, so especially new players will probably place and stay in bronze/silver until they play a bunch of games.

2. they have more losses than wins :ssh: also, even if you play a shitload if you refuse to analytically improve your gameplay and decision-making skills you will remain a mediocre nitwit at best

How Rude fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 27, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Nothing involving ranked is permanent. The only permanent consequence of playing a ranked match is that your next ranked match will have a smaller effect on your MMR [for that season]. Ignore assholes that are demanding you play X hours before playing another part of the videogame.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Wins are a very bad measure of skill. Win rate tells more but the game actively tries to put you into fair games so it's not as useful as you might think. Most of the population will be within a few points of 50 except for the extreme outliers. Playing X games before entering ranked is only worthwhile to find your feet in League in general, and even then only if you consider it helpful to treat ranked as the 'serious' game mode. You'll end up matched with players your level and they'll deserve you as a teammate for good or for ill.

The only other reason to give special weight to your ranked games is if you're playing with limited time. If you play all the time who cares if you drop a whole division or even two learning a new champ or role, you'll end up at the level of your performance and should be able to return to any previously achieved rank over time by just doing what you did before.

I played a bunch of Dota doing regular stuff, then decided I was going to really learn Broodmother, who was at the time basically a bad gimmick hero. My rank plummeted and then rose again once I got better. Don't get too hung up on gaining or losing your ranked numbers, that poo poo will just happen as you get better at the game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks guys. Reading "uninstall ur life" for a 30 minute sitting gets you in the mood to whine. So thank you for the encouragement. Games like that are a fluke, educational, and not permenent. I gotta keep that mindset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jayce is actually pretty fun, I might take him top regularly. What sort of runes/items are we looking at? I just took standard AD/Armor/MR with AD quints, and I was stomping all over the enemy fiora so I just went straight AD with Manamune > Youmuu's > Cleaver > Maw > Death's Dance. It was hilarious Qing Jinx and Sona for half their health. Do you wanna build him like that or should he be built like a bruiser? Or does it depend on your team comp/how you're doing in lane?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ImpAtom posted:

God drat it. Two S ranks and then an S- because the enemies dedicated themselves to suicide-killing me. Why are you so cruel, Riot scoring system
Lowest damage on team = only S rank http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2198408348/232831107?tab=stats

It just makes sense.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Endorph posted:

Jayce is actually pretty fun, I might take him top regularly. What sort of runes/items are we looking at? I just took standard AD/Armor/MR with AD quints, and I was stomping all over the enemy fiora so I just went straight AD with Manamune > Youmuu's > Cleaver > Maw > Death's Dance. It was hilarious Qing Jinx and Sona for half their health. Do you wanna build him like that or should he be built like a bruiser? Or does it depend on your team comp/how you're doing in lane?

Everything is matchup-y/comp-y.

Your basic jayce options:
AD/Armour/MR (or per level)
AD/Armour/CDR (prolly not there's so much cdr now in game but a lot of the items he likes don't give it)
AD/Health/MR
Apen/AD/Armour/MR etc. etc.
Lifesteal/AD/Armour/MR

Items

Standard Core is:
Manamune
Cleaver
Last Whisper item

Situational addons to that core are:
Maw
Essence Reaver
IEdge
Mercurial
Triforce
Yomammas
Death's Dance
CDR boots for damage, or whatever resist or stat you need.

Work out if you want to build to snowball, to poke and play for the team, or to be an assassin. If you build sheen/crit you can murder a squishy but it's really strong with his W. If you're going to play more of a poke/backline style, go with the pen/cdr build with flat AD/CDR/Apen.

Strongly recommend one survivability item if you don't have hella frontline. Almost always going to be GA.

Jayce is an ultrastrong mid-game champion who falls off lategame. He's better in mid than in top, since toplane he has more snowbally matchups and can be punished by the jungler more easily. His main issue lategame is that he's a glass cannon, range is short and that he has difficulty going cannon form to unload the other half of his combo if his frontline/ADC haven't already whittled the enemy down. Midgame his ability to run people down and burst them with e/q/w/r/q/auto/w/e is really powerful.

Good matchups top: Darius, Jax, Garen
When they go on to you you switch to hammer and disengage with e and they can't use the rest of their abilities. On the other hand if you get ganked one or twice they will just murder you by flashing to re-engage after you E.

So-so ones: Nasus, Riven
Nasus: You poo poo all over him early game but if you don't poo poo on him hard and then snowball like crazy he will just run you over under your own tower.
Riven: One positional mistake and you're dead or popping both summoners, with ad items she'll shield or dodge your poke.

lovely ones: Pantheon, Jarvan, anyone who can just jump you and stick.

In mid Jayce can handle most of the popular melee champions pretty well, particularly Yasuo, Katarina. He pushes well with manamune so the long range champions are also nbd like Lux.

Champions Jayce is good with: anyone who loves to run fast and can abuse acceleration gate, but who he can stand behind. Ryze, Hec, etc.

Jayce sucks if you have no frontline. But you can build metagolem jayce and it's ok since he has a %hp move and high base damage and a small tank steroid on melee form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Taliyah support has been really fun so far, I really hope they work the kinks out of this champion. I honestly think support is the best role for her.

• Locked thread