Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Motto posted:

More Ys 8, mostly story and intro stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BjWhCdBZc

Those slowdowns look so bad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sounds like it will be worth waiting for the PS4 version, which I was going to lean towards anyway since I figured it was about time to get a PS4 in the first place. But there is still no timetable for that release, correct?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Erpy posted:

Which is an absolutely horrible grind without Shining Pom bait.

I'm pretty sure you can actually beat the entire game to use the 3 free pom bait again faster than you could grind 3 levels once you start getting above 70.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Really Pants posted:

That and the two master quartz you can get with the Medal of Heroism.

For CSII, get Rean to level 80.

Alright, thanks. I'm just making sure I don't have to NG+ for any transfer stuff, looks like i'm safe on that count :toot:

I'll probably be getting YS VIII for Vita anyway because I'm impatient and I really got a craving for more "Red-Headed Exploreman Punches Way Above His Weight Class: The Series".

(my favorite instance of this is the giant monster that specifically cannot be harmed by normal weapons whom he bludgeoned unconscious with a lovely iron sword, Adol's Ridiculous Fight List is the best.)

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I was jonesing so hard for Cold Steel 2 that I decided to finally play TitS. Any protips I should keep in mind? I am a little ways in (just got to investigating the mayor's house) so I sorta know the basic differences by now, but I've heard tell that the balance is way different from what I'm used to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For TitS FC especially I remember Time magic being pretty overpowered, it will be a useful set of spells for both bosses and mobs throughout the game. Also of note is the spell Earth Wall which is a huge help if you're having trouble with a given boss fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Golden Battler posted:

I was jonesing so hard for Cold Steel 2 that I decided to finally play TitS. Any protips I should keep in mind? I am a little ways in (just got to investigating the mayor's house) so I sorta know the basic differences by now, but I've heard tell that the balance is way different from what I'm used to.

Arts are way more powerful than in Cold Steel, because everyone in your party will have access to them and the physical options are lot more limited.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Golden Battler posted:

- You don't earn CP as quickly in Sky, so you'll find yourself spamming crafts much less and arts much more. (especially since, unlike Steel, levelups give you an EP refill too) Arts become especially useful once you start learning the AOE ones. Take a bit of time to get used to the elemental points system. The point you're at, you've already gotten a piece of quartz that gives you more than 1 elemental point in wind, which you can use to get a very neat grid-targetted AOE spell early. Once you get to Chapter 2, look up White Gehenna and get it. Spam until enemy dies.

- Unlike Cold Steel, you do learn new recipes by eating new food. Most of the food is obtained by simply buying or finding (*cough* potluck) a food item and eating it.

- Shining Poms aren't DLC, but rare enemies that occasionally appear in exactly one outdoor location per chapter. They run away if you give them a chance and have crazy defense and evade, but S-crafts can kill them and so can the 20% insta-death chance of Shadow Spear. Shining Poms give insane experience and lots of sepith. You can make this even crazier if you hit them with Estelle's or Schera's S-craft during a sepith-up turn.

- Status ailments aren't your big friend the way they are in Cold Steel, but the art Chaos Brand is stupidly effective as there are a lot of strong enemies and even many bosses that don't resist it.

- Buffs don't run on a turn-counter, but on a hidden timer and while they run out extremely quickly at first, they last a lot longer as the game goes on. Same with status ailments.

- In FC, str/def buffs/debuffs affect both physical and magical attacks. So Estelle's Morale is good at giving your allies an ats-buff. This is changed in SC.

- For the above reason, Kämpfer is a stupidly broken craft that neuters anything it hits and had to be nerfed in the sequel. Enjoy abusing it in the first game.

- Joshua's Flicker is really useful too, since it's undodgable and ignores defense in FC.

- The game doesn't warn you about sub-quests timing out, so check the guild board regularly.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

You should probably decide right away if you care about getting All The Things, too, since FC especially loves hiding stuff in the rear end-end of nowhere at really specific time frames. Also Earth Wall is the magic words to make all your endgame problems magically disappear.

Finished SC, was really good. Kinda wished there was a bigger epilogue, but I guess that's the entire point of the sidestoryish 3rd game. Also digged the villains theme of traumatized people who are just self-aware enough to make terrible life choices. A Good Game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I've decided to pick up Cold Steel on the PS3. Just to check, are there any significant differences between the US and EU versions? It's region free so either should work for me, and that US-only limited edition is looking quite tempting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so I'm probably retarded for taking this long to notice, especially since Crow is right there when it happens to Rean for the first time, but in Cold Steel when Rean goes into his beast mode he gets silver hair and red eyes...just like Crow's

wheels within wheels

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

so I'm probably retarded for taking this long to notice, especially since Crow is right there when it happens to Rean for the first time, but in Cold Steel when Rean goes into his beast mode he gets silver hair and red eyes...just like Crow's

wheels within wheels

Then again, neither silvery hair nor red eyes are extremely unique in the series, despite the fact they stand out. Estelle, Cassius and Alisa all have red eyes and Loewe, Elie from the Crossbell series and Fie all have silvery/white hair. Crow looking slightly exotic might be more due to the fact he's "kind of" a foreigner than him being in permanent beast mode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I've decided to pick up Cold Steel on the PS3. Just to check, are there any significant differences between the US and EU versions? It's region free so either should work for me, and that US-only limited edition is looking quite tempting.
I don't think there'd be any differences.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Some Numbers posted:

Coordinating has been a problem, but we're doing a bunch of recording on Saturday, so I'm committing to starting the thread on Monday.

Let it never be said I don't keep my word

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You noted it yourself, but yeah, your audio is way too loud. Also, I think it would've would've been better to include the boot-up and opening sequence so as to open more smoothly; going straight to the difficulty selection screen is a bit jarring. ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmPa2RwAa4

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 30, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

reserving this as a future avatar

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I know I shouldn't have expected anything because it's clearly signposted as unwinnable, but I'm still a tiny bit disappointed at not getting anything for (Trails of Cold Steel)"beating" Sara after the practical exam in chapter two :geno:. Does Falcom ever do winnable unwinnable boss fights, or should I not try in future?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I know I shouldn't have expected anything because it's clearly signposted as unwinnable, but I'm still a tiny bit disappointed at not getting anything for (Trails of Cold Steel)"beating" Sara after the practical exam in chapter two :geno:. Does Falcom ever do winnable unwinnable boss fights, or should I not try in future?

In Cold Steel, I don't think so

Beating the 'unwinnable' bossfight in FC gets you BP (and some praise) even if the boss in question isn't actually really beat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Not in Cold Steel 1.

There are four unwinnable fights, including that one. The others:

C, at the very end of Chapter 4's field study;
Laura's dad, on the first night of Chapter 5's field study;
S, at the very end of the game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Okay so this is probably a really stupid question...
Can you use items to revive people during a battle in Trails of Cold Steel? I can't select the KO'd person...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Are you using the right item? I'm pretty sure you should be able

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Okay so this is probably a really stupid question...
Can you use items to revive people during a battle in Trails of Cold Steel? I can't select the KO'd person...

You can, are they out of range though? Items aren't infinite range, and I think some have areas of effect

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Specifically, unless you have one particular master quartz at a certain level equipped, items have no range at all. Your character has to walk right up to the downed ally in order revive him or her. This is the case in all Trails games.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Maybe I'm still a step too far or something.
I feel like I am going insane. Standing next to them trying to use a Reviving Balm....

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

maybe it's a bug? I dunno

Is there something in the way because they might be close but something is blocking their pathing so they can't get close enough

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have access to the Thelas or Athelas arts, or Emma's Serene Blessing craft?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I think it was just weirdness with the other enemies and characters nearby in the battle. I reset, beat it, and was able to use a revive in a later battle just fine.
IGNORE MEEEE.

Also just finished Chapter 4 :)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I think it was just weirdness with the other enemies and characters nearby in the battle. I reset, beat it, and was able to use a revive in a later battle just fine.
IGNORE MEEEE.

Also just finished Chapter 4 :)

That stuff sometimes happens, and it makes me wish the game still had squares on the battlefield. The strictly round display is all sleek and modern and everything but sometimes I would really like to know the exact range of everything.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but XSeed posted a new Trails-related blog post:

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/145377764065/xseed-localization-general-blog-1

Their Trails Facebook page has quite a few Steel2-related pictures as well. Only a few more months.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/739617856900366344

it looks like there are some cool illustrations here, but if the link is to a place where you can view them, i think it's blocked outside of japan

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Those are from the Ys Heroines Calendar that came with the CE of Celceta in Japan. In XSEED's release, they were included in the book that came with their CE.

I'm still filled with speculation about this constant use of Knight Elena.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Falcom is putting out an updated version of Tokyo Xanadu on ps4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

Falcom is putting out an updated version of Tokyo Xanadu on ps4

Cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waitaminute

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

subbed Ys LoD promo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePVIPzn8ok

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Those are from the Ys Heroines Calendar that came with the CE of Celceta in Japan. In XSEED's release, they were included in the book that came with their CE.

I'm still filled with speculation about this constant use of Knight Elena.

I guess someone just really likes that alternate design? And it really is a nice design.

Because barring some strange storyline where she shows up to bludgeon Adol with said sword and then drag him back to Felghana, I'm having a difficult time imagining it ever coming up again outside the fighting game. The only Ys heroine who's appeared outside their own main game is, what? Terra? And that was only because it was the immediately preceding storyline and he'd fallen off that specific ship.

Not counting overlap between 1 & 2 since 2 was literally a direct continuation and marketed as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

geis