Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's out. Go buy your video card to play csgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still on an i5 2500k, slightly overclocked, not as far as it could go. Should I upgrade my CPU before getting a new card? (EDIT: 1070, most likely, if I bother getting something in this release anyway)
I guess that also means having to get a new motherboard.

Man, GPUs really are the most exciting part of a PC, new processors are no fun in comparison.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sout posted:

I'm still on an i5 2500k, slightly overclocked, not as far as it could go. Should I upgrade my CPU before getting a new card? (EDIT: 1070, most likely, if I bother getting something in this release anyway)

Man, GPUs really are the most exciting part of a PC, new processors are no fun in comparison.

Not picking on you, but I'm never quite sure why people ask this question.
Buy the new GPU, and if you don't get the performance gains you want; and you believe you're CPU bottlenecked, go ahead and upgrade the rest. Either way, it doesn't hurt to get the GPU you wanted.
Most games are primarily GPU-bound with an overclocked 2500K, but it can differ from game to game.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

Founders Editions only, so far as I can tell.

sout posted:

I'm still on an i5 2500k, slightly overclocked, not as far as it could go. Should I upgrade my CPU before getting a new card?

Depends entirely on what sort of games you play, and how far you're overclocking that 2500k. Will a 4790/6700/5820 give you moderately better gaming performance? Yes. Is the extra 10% in FPS worth the hundreds of dollars the upgrade would cost? You decide, but the smart money generally says no. The real benefit to the newer chips is actually the chipsets, and what they bring to the table (PCIe lanes, USB 3.1, DDR4, etc.).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DrDork posted:

Founders Editions only, so far as I can tell.

Depends entirely on what sort of games you play, and how far you're overclocking that 2500k. Will a 4790/6700/5820 give you moderately better gaming performance? Yes. Is the extra 10% in FPS worth the hundreds of dollars the upgrade would cost? You decide, but the smart money generally says no. The real benefit to the newer chips is actually the chipsets, and what they bring to the table (PCIe lanes, USB 3.1, DDR4, etc.).

Looks like custom msi cards are out, custom cooled atleast.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Looks like custom msi cards are out, custom cooled atleast.

Where are you seeing those? All I've seen so far are the normal FE's from a smattering of vendors.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Today's Polaris briefing is under NDA until the 29th of June. They're giving the 1070 three weeks to steal the market before they fully reveal their answer to it :suicide:

http://videocardz.com/60373/amd-polaris-tech-day-nda-ends-on-june-29th

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASUS evidently has something to show off at Computex.

That something probably isn't using a mobile GPU, if you check the tags on the teaser it mentions "24-inch laptop"

http://rog.asus.com/23312016/

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Of all the links at the bottom of http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10s...vailable_052616

I was only able to pre-order it from B&H. I'll just cancel it if it doesn't ship within a reasonable amount of time. What's reasonable? I'm unsure, but whatevs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nvidia.com has/had them as of a few minutes ago.

DrDork posted:

Where are you seeing those? All I've seen so far are the normal FE's from a smattering of vendors.

May just be uk or something but saw someone say they ordered an msi hawk

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

Not picking on you, but I'm never quite sure why people ask this question.
Buy the new GPU, and if you don't get the performance gains you want; and you believe you're CPU bottlenecked, go ahead and upgrade the rest. Either way, it doesn't hurt to get the GPU you wanted.
Most games are primarily GPU-bound with an overclocked 2500K, but it can differ from game to game.

Nah I get the frustration lol, thanks.
I'm glad I at least picked a processor that holds up as well as it does after 4 years, I'll see how I feel once 1070 starts coming out etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sout posted:

I'm glad I at least picked a processor that holds up as well as it does after 4 years, I'll see how I feel once 1070 starts coming out etc.

Amen (I have the same 2500k), thanks parts picking thread from 2011. :v: Good point made about waiting to see if the mobo/CPU are good enough since GPU will be compatible with old or new.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

sout posted:

Ah, it's not frustration at all, I guess the way I think of it is the PC is totally modular, the new graphics card can always go with you to a new build. The 2500K isn't a huge bottleneck in most games right now, of course when overclocked.
Yes, you made a well-timed (and lucky!) purchase. The 2500K was fantastic value and still runs nicely.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia.com has/had them as of a few minutes ago.

nVidia put them up for sale just slightly before the 6AM PDT time they had announced earlier.

I was literally clicking the "submit order" button at 9AM EDT and got the error message that it was sold out. 2 minutes later the Nvidia twitter account announced they were up for sale. So yeah, it was sold out before nVidia even said they were available.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And now the AIB waiting game begins.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EVGA"s hybrid has quick disconnect

http://imgur.com/a/x5XX7

Want that hydrocopper though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So much for the non-founders-edition cards being cheaper. Every custom card I've seen so far has the same €799 price.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

ApathyGifted posted:

nVidia put them up for sale just slightly before the 6AM PDT time they had announced earlier.

I was literally clicking the "submit order" button at 9AM EDT and got the error message that it was sold out. 2 minutes later the Nvidia twitter account announced they were up for sale. So yeah, it was sold out before nVidia even said they were available.
Well gently caress. I was watching the nVidia site because I thought it would likely sell out right away, and I still missed it. That's really disappointing. Does anyone know about how long we should expect to wait for more stock to be available?

I might cave and buy a 980 TI instead. I am really tired of being stuck with onboard graphics while waiting for the 1080.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sucks not being american

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Smol posted:

So much for the non-founders-edition cards being cheaper. Every custom card I've seen so far has the same €799 price.

There's tons of models priced lower than Founders in the UK :shrug:

About £100 less for lovely blowers and £50 less for low-end open-air.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

i woke up at 6:00am to wait outside to spend 750$

:classiclol:

the funny thing is there were like 20+ people waiting and they only had 10 cards rip them

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 27, 2016

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Managed to snag a pre-order FTW from EVGA's site, though tireless waiting for the pages to reload.

You'd think that in 2016 sites would have figured out how to do release day traffic filtering, but I guess not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MSIs custom air-cooled 1080s have 8pin+6pin power, but their watercooled Sea Hawk only has a single 8pin :psyduck:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Smithereens posted:

i woke up at 6:00am to wait outside to spend 750$

:classiclol:

Since loving when does Microcenter actually get cards at launch? It usually takes them like three weeks to show up.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Since loving when does Microcenter actually get cards at launch? It usually takes them like three weeks to show up.

the micro center in virginia typically has a few cards at launch. not nearly enough, though. they said there was gonna be 20 cards, but they ended up only getting 10 lmao

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are there any extensive 1080 DX12 benchmarks or am I stuck with the single 1440p AoS graph that's out there?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

NotInventedHere posted:

Well gently caress. I was watching the nVidia site because I thought it would likely sell out right away, and I still missed it. That's really disappointing. Does anyone know about how long we should expect to wait for more stock to be available?

I might cave and buy a 980 TI instead. I am really tired of being stuck with onboard graphics while waiting for the 1080.

Yeah, I'm holding out for restocking. I'm building a freakin' $7,000 PC, I want my drat face-melting graphics cards.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smithereens posted:

the funny thing is there were like 20+ people waiting and they only had 10 cards rip them

yea rip

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, I just swung by the Microcenter in Boston and they sold out their first batch already, they said they're getting more later in the week.

Edit: to clarify, if I could get any I was going to flip them on eBay :capitalism:

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

no worries gamer, the next 10 people i think got vouchers for a msi 1080 that are supposedly going to come in sometime today so it's not all bad news :unsmith:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Newegg posted theirs up late. MSI sold out while I was checking out, but I managed to grab a couple of PNY's just in time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, I just swung by the Microcenter in Boston and they sold out their first batch already, they said they're getting more later in the week.

Edit: to clarify, if I could get any I was going to flip them on eBay :capitalism:
Say you get $1,000 for it. You lose 13% to Ebay and PayPal fees, so after sales tax on $699, you'll clear about $100.

Not worth it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I know, it was strange to me too, but lately they have been pretty aggressive with GPU's and CPU's. Absolutely nothing else of note though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
Just pre-ordered an ASUS Strix OC (10 phases, 8+6 powerconnectors, blah blah) for 800 Smackers, let's hope that it releases soon. :pray:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Josh Lyman posted:

Say you get $1,000 for it. You lose 13% to Ebay and PayPal fees, so after sales tax on $699, you'll clear about $100.

Not worth it.

Well, I'd do it for $100 just to make my personal card $100 cheaper, although Im guessing your sales tax is pretty high. Although it'd be better if you could do it more than once of course...

Granted I am pretty well setup to ship small items at minimal effort... but still, $100 return after all said and done, sure. Plus I'd try my luck on Amazon first anyway for a better margin.

edit: the "issue" here is I dont think its going to sell for $1000 lol

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 27, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Where'd you preorder the Asus from?

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I was able to preorder one from evga's site. The key is to be logged in before you try to preorder it. Here are the steps that worked:

1) Log in (http://www.evga.com/login.asp)

2) Hit preorder here (http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080)

3) Hit checkout from cart (note you must be logged in at this point) (http://www.evga.com/products/ShoppingCart.aspx)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's the details on the ASUS Strix

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/05/this-is-the-asus-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal-on-another-level/

quote:

Expect the ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 to be available starting June 4. You can choose between the hot-clocked OC version for $639.99 or a stock-clocked variant with a $619.99 MSRP. Stay tuned for more coverage of the card at PCDIY—we have exciting plans for this beautiful beast.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
But that's not $700 :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Vintersorg posted:

Here's the details on the ASUS Strix

Expect the ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 to be available starting June 4. You can choose between the hot-clocked OC version for $639.99 or a stock-clocked variant with a $619.99 MSRP. Stay tuned for more coverage of the card at PCDIY—we have exciting plans for this beautiful beast.

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2016/05/this-is-the-asus-strix-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal-on-another-level/

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Just pre-ordered an ASUS Strix OC (10 phases, 8+6 powerconnectors, blah blah) for 800 Smackers, let's hope that it releases soon. :pray:

woops