Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

It would be fine if they standardized on interfaces and you could just slot in an upgraded head unit to add carplay and it properly registered all your steering wheel controls and everything.

But nope, gotta buy a new car or shell out thousands to get an aftermarket shop to hack it in. :homebrew:

Well, not thousands.

I bought a Pioneer from Crutchfields, and they'll make a bundle that includes all the wiring harness adapters, interface modules for steering wheel controls, in-car AV, rear-view cam, and trim tools. Plus you get access to their installation and troubleshooting hotline. I think I paid about $700 and it took maybe 45 mins from start to finish in a 2014 RAV4. As long as you have a double DIN slot to install it, it's pretty straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After the last few posts, I think I'm going to give Apple Maps another try. I've abandoned it three of four times since launch due to things like not having transit in London (now fixed, shame Northern Ireland is never gonna be covered by Apple or Google!), or a few bits of missing road that I'd be travelling on for over a decade, or just simply being sent utterly the wrong way or to the wrong continent for places.

But it's been about a year, so fingers crossed it''ll be good now! Though I think I'll cross-check everything I search for with Google Maps, just to be on the safe side...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I will love the day that Waze is built into Carplay. Forcing me to use Apple Maps was just cruel (for all the reasons cited above).

Speaking of Carplay (we don't have a thread for it...) has anyone experienced any strange bugs with it or has it worked flawless for you? It's hard to determine if the issue is with Carplay or my OEM headunit. I have a 16 Accord and phone calls always act a little weird. Sometimes it seems as if it has trouble switching between audio between the phone call and the music following a call and it plays everything super quiet without an ability to turn the volume up past a reasonable point. My fix would be to engage Siri which seems to reset the volume streams but it wasn't 100%.

There would always seem to be an awkward handoff between the phone and the headunit too which sometimes caused Opie and Anthony to scream over my conference call and invariably it'd be when someone was saying something wildly profane.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
When people are talking about "built into Carplay", what exactly has to happen?

The app developer needs to build new components for Carplay

OR

Apple needs to allow it to display on screen?

OR

both?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dexter6 posted:

OR

OR

both?

I don't really quite know, been wanting to find that out myself. I suspect it has to be completely approved by Apple otherwise we'd have a lot more apps on there than there are now. There is hardly ANYTHING on it at all.

The bar must be pretty high because I'd have expected there to be some anime pinball game on there by now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I might be wrong, but I think the Waze team said they currently have no plans to support Carplay.

It's not a matter of just showing the phone app on the screen, carplay requires a new interface be built.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, why would an app designed to be used while driving ever want to support a feature designed to be used in a car. That's just silly talk!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

dexter6 posted:

OR

OR

both?

Both.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah, why would an app designed to be used while driving ever want to support a feature designed to be used in a car. That's just silly talk!

Probably because the company that owns that app has a competing platform ;)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't drive much so I haven't given Carplay a serious workout, but during a few long trips from L.A. to AZ things have gone smoothly. I use Apple Maps when I take a long city drive and although the traffic display is spotty and I find the controls not well thought out it gets the job done. Like Navigon the screen where you can select from multiple routes is too small and messy to be good for anything, but I miss Navigon's freeway exit previews. I was surprised to see that on a smartphone GPS app. They also make it really easy to select only the states you want pre-loaded.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

As long as you have a double DIN slot to install it, it's pretty straight forward.
Go look at the dashboards of the vast majority of cars made in the past 10 years or so. I'll wait.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Go look at the dashboards of the vast majority of cars made in the past 10 years or so. I'll wait.

Yeah, my Prius is "almost" 2 din. But just to gently caress people over for no reason at all, the left edge of the hole is slightly curved. So if you install something aftermarket you either live with a stupid gap, buy an aftermarket facade, or live with the factory piece of poo poo.

My wife's car doesn't have any kind of din. That fucker is molded into the dash and would require significant panel replacement to get something custom in it.

Jackasses.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

Probably because the company that owns that app has a competing platform ;)

However, Google notoriously releases updates and apps first on iOS and eventually gets around to Android. It's peculiar but :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly the only reason I use Waze is the crowd sourced traffic notifications. Why no one else has tried this is beyond me.

There's like a thousand ways of figuring out how to get from A to B but God forbid you want to know of any accidents or speed traps along the way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How does Waze get that data? Do they monitor users' speed and location and mark an area as experiencing heavy traffic if everybody is going way slower than they should be, or do they expect users to dick around with their phone while driving?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

How does Waze get that data? Do they monitor users' speed and location and mark an area as experiencing heavy traffic if everybody is going way slower than they should be, or do they expect users to dick around with their phone while driving?
The latter. You get e-points for providing info.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

They also measure speed and will take that into consideration for identifying a jam.

Speed trap notifications are the best. Let the rear end in a top hat riding your tail zoom forward a half mile ahead of it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Google Maps is the only one with bicycling directions -- I have no idea why Apple still hasn't added this, but it's pretty sad!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Maptalk: Tried using maps yesterday due wanting to use "hey siri" to navigate to my destination and to use the native OS navigation so I didn't have to unlock. I kind of knew the directions already, but wanted to see what maps was about: Navigated me to the least efficient way, then gave me a "heads up" that there was faster route....a route gmaps always gives me.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The speedometer on Waze is awesome and is another point in its favor over Google Maps. Google doesn't have one, right?

When people say Waze is "annoying" they probably didn't take the 10 seconds to turn off whatever was annoying them in Settings.

The interface isn't great, though. It's not really possible to make a much better interface for the variety of features Waze has IMO.

maduin posted:

Google Maps is the only one with bicycling directions -- I have no idea why Apple still hasn't added this, but it's pretty sad!

What a waste! I wish Waze had bike directions.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

When people say Waze is "annoying" they probably didn't take the 10 seconds to turn off whatever was annoying them in Settings.

Um or they don't like a being bombarded with ads while driving? Who thinks it's a smart idea to have ads pop up mid-navigation???

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tbf it's the same people who think it's a good idea to incentivize people to mess with their phones while driving

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Um or they don't like a being bombarded with ads while driving? Who thinks it's a smart idea to have ads pop up mid-navigation???

Ads only come up when you're idle so shouldn't be intrusive.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I will love the day that Waze is built into Carplay. Forcing me to use Apple Maps was just cruel (for all the reasons cited above).

Speaking of Carplay (we don't have a thread for it...) has anyone experienced any strange bugs with it or has it worked flawless for you? It's hard to determine if the issue is with Carplay or my OEM headunit. I have a 16 Accord and phone calls always act a little weird. Sometimes it seems as if it has trouble switching between audio between the phone call and the music following a call and it plays everything super quiet without an ability to turn the volume up past a reasonable point. My fix would be to engage Siri which seems to reset the volume streams but it wasn't 100%.

There would always seem to be an awkward handoff between the phone and the headunit too which sometimes caused Opie and Anthony to scream over my conference call and invariably it'd be when someone was saying something wildly profane.

I have a '16 VW GTI and Carplay cannot switch between any two audio sources. So if I'm playing music from the Music app and want to play a podcast in Overcast, I have to unlock my phone, open the app and hit play. And vice versa. I can change tracks in music or podcasts in Overcast, but not go from one app to the other. It completely defeats the point of Carplay. So I need to decide what I'm listening to before I go anywhere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with Apple Maps? I know it had issues of route fuckups when it came out, but it's been pretty solid these last couple years. I've used it on cross-country trips twice.

The only two GPS programs I've found to be accurate for me these days has been Apple Maps and Navigon. Google has constantly missed newly minted roads or neighborhoods enough that I won't ever consider using it again.

It's traffic stuff isn't at all accurate, and it's information for suburbs around my area is all total poo poo. Even some of the city stuff is wrong. With Google I get a wrong place, or the marker in the middle of the road instead of on the building maybe 1/100 times. With Apple it's closer to 1/10.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Ads only come up when you're stopped and there's no necessary voice prompt. It's also just like a dumb banner ad. Not sure I've ever seen more than two ads on a trip either.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Riven posted:

I have a '16 VW GTI and Carplay cannot switch between any two audio sources. So if I'm playing music from the Music app and want to play a podcast in Overcast, I have to unlock my phone, open the app and hit play. And vice versa. I can change tracks in music or podcasts in Overcast, but not go from one app to the other. It completely defeats the point of Carplay. So I need to decide what I'm listening to before I go anywhere.

For what it's worth, I've not had that experience on my '17 Elantra using the stock Podcasts app. I can switch from a podcast to music or vice versa in CarPlay no problem. My only annoyance is that you can't have a different app on your phone from what's on the CarPlay display. If I'm using Google Maps on my phone then the CarPlay display just shows the home screen. Ducking into music changes the app on the phone as well, but this is intentional apparently.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My largest frustration is the auto play. It would be one thing to auto play the last thing played but it insists on firing up the first song in my iTunes library Everytime. I don't like auto play to begin with but that just seems obtuse. Let me plug in my phone and choose my own destiny. Maybe put a single customisable option for carplay?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah it's so you're not using your phone. I get that and like it. I think the issue is that for the first time in forever (maybe ever?) Apple doesn't have control over the hardware, so now we have Windows-ish bugs that are different for every person.

^^^ The first thing in my library is a MIDI knockoff of a song from the middle of Les Miserables from a community theater production I was in. I feel your pain.

Riven fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

TraderStav posted:

My largest frustration is the auto play. It would be one thing to auto play the last thing played but it insists on firing up the first song in my iTunes library Everytime. I don't like auto play to begin with but that just seems obtuse. Let me plug in my phone and choose my own destiny. Maybe put a single customisable option for carplay?

I can't STAND this behavior.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Riven posted:

Yeah it's so you're not using your phone. I get that and like it. I think the issue is that for the first time in forever (maybe ever?) Apple doesn't have control over the hardware, so now we have Windows-ish bugs that are different for every person.

^^^ The first thing in my library is a MIDI knockoff of a song from the middle of Les Miserables from a community theater production I was in. I feel your pain.

At least mine is a tribe called quest song. Jesus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just find your favorite song and save it as aaaa_bestsong.m4a and hope you never get tired of it. :v:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Outfield - Your Love.mp3 5eva

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

TraderStav posted:

At least mine is a tribe called quest song. Jesus.

Come to think of it, does anyone know how to permanently remove something from your iTunes Match? That's the problem I have is I can delete it and it's ALWAYS THERE.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
When I had match I remember there being a check box or something to delete it from the cloud.

Violator
May 15, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just find your favorite song and save it as aaaa_bestsong.m4a and hope you never get tired of it. :v:

I actually just did something similar. I used these instructions:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/siri-voice-mac/

and made an MP3 where Siri says "Welcome!" and then added three minutes of silence using an audio editor. Named it so it would be the first song in my library, added a square photo as album art, and added it to iTunes Match. Now when I get in the car I have a polite greeting and wonderful silence to pick out my audio. No more screaming at Siri for interrupting my podcast with the same drat song every time I start my car. Hopefully this is resolved somehow in iOS10.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Alright, so this is super nerdy and a ridiculous first world problem, but how do folks handle saucy pics from their partners?

-- If we use the native Photos app and iCloud Sharing then everything gets synced and is browsable from each device in the house. I don't want guests seeing my wiener if I pull up Photos app on the AppleTV to show vacation photos.
-- If we use iMessage then the photos get synced to each device and I have to go through each device (laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad) and delete them so I don't have them displayed in apps on each device.
-- I don't want something where you could easily accidentally post to a social network. I don't want to post sausage on Instagram or something.
-- Filters and FX would be neat ("City Noir really makes my rear end pop, honey!").
-- I'd like to be able to save the keeper photos. The recipient being able to import into Dropbox would be aces.
-- Receiving a non-thumbnailed notification would be great.

Right now we're using Dropbox because it's fairly self contained and password lockable, but it's a pain in the rear end because you have to use two apps (camera app + import to Dropbox) to send a photo and there's no notifications. Ideally I'd like something where you could take a photo, add a filter, and send it super quick and easy. Then the other person gets a SFW notification, can save it or delete it, and not worry about it showing up places where other folks can see it.

I feel like a real goon.txt for overanalyzing this, but I have no idea what the current app landscape is for stuff like this since I'm old and out of touch. :ohdear: Is this something where Snapchat or whatever is what people use? :iiam:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Use an app like Avocado?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Violator posted:

I actually just did something similar. I used these instructions:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/siri-voice-mac/

and made an MP3 where Siri says "Welcome!" and then added three minutes of silence using an audio editor. Named it so it would be the first song in my library, added a square photo as album art, and added it to iTunes Match. Now when I get in the car I have a polite greeting and wonderful silence to pick out my audio. No more screaming at Siri for interrupting my podcast with the same drat song every time I start my car. Hopefully this is resolved somehow in iOS10.

Is there a free audio editor I can use to accomplish this? Very interested in doing this and also trying to think of something cool and good to greet me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Is there a free audio editor I can use to accomplish this? Very interested in doing this and also trying to think of something cool and good to greet me.

If you have Garage Band you could use that. I just tested it and it will import the audio file from that link I previously posted and then I just used the audio recorder in Garage Band to record 20 seconds of silence. Then export it as an m4a. You could add all sorts of neat effects to make something Jarvis-like if you wanted.