Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

You would probably have to uninstall all versions first, then use the launcher and just install the 64bit version. After that it will only update the 64bit version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nippythefish posted:

never got that impression in the Dust thread, dude.

I was joking

To be honest, calling someone condescending over some mild mocking is something I find ludicrous, but I won't stop teasing people just because I have a red text that's 100% wrong in fear people don't get this

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Robigo was UA bombed: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=254511&p=3955614#post3955614

Literally Kermit posted:

Nah, it was a month and a half secret op undertaken by less than a dozen people - kept that way in case I hosed it up :v:
loving awesome work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real question is how Robigo was UA bombed during the downtime. :tinfoil:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panch posted:

The exploration thing is super annoying. I tried to explore (I guess because I love horrible procedural generation) in earlier ships, but a 60mil~ kitted Asp is so crazy heads and tails above anything else it feels insane to "enjoy" exploring in literally anything else. And it circles back around to grinding just to get to the dumb lifeless activity I'm trying to enjoy!

Huh, really? An exploration Asp shouldn't cost more than, say, 15 million. A-ranking stuff you don't need A-ranked just weighs you down and lowers your jump range. But if that's still too expensive, try exploring in a Hauler, which has the third highest jump range in the game when properly outfitted.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I got invites from 2 Explorer-based and 1 weapons-based engineers, but only a bookmark from the weapons dude. Is this a magical patch, or am I expected to explore my way to the explorer-gineers?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Conskill posted:

I got invites from 2 Explorer-based and 1 weapons-based engineers, but only a bookmark from the weapons dude. Is this a magical patch, or am I expected to explore my way to the explorer-gineers?

There'll be engineer markers in your map, same as friend, ship, and wing markers (they can be toggled on and off)

Community Goals now have markers as well

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Colonial Air Force posted:

:lol: some idiot said max rewards for NPCs should be 1000cr.

That's what the game started at. Yes, seriously. No prices weren't any lower - if anything they were higher.

Frontier started way beyond bat-poo poo-crazy and still hasn't arrived at anywhere sane.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if you look at it where something like an Anaconda is this goal your strive for for months and months to earn, it makes sense. The problem is there isn't enough gameplay depth for your average player to want to do so.

This leaves you with the Autists of varying groups who will grind for hours, exploiters, etc... and thus you get the Brown Sea.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
And every time they make the rewards better or ships cheaper, particularly buoyant turds on the brown sea raise a shitstorm about how they're making the game A Casual Game and people who want it easy should go back to playing Call of Duty.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Anyone who wants rewards nerfed should automatically have their account reset to a fresh start with zero progress to see what it's like getting all that poo poo back.

Most of the idiots who want progression nerfed fall into two camps. People who already made their billions using broken things or people who don't use that type of progression. So traders who want Hunters nerfed. Hunters who want traders nerfed, etc.

It is great watching the grognards kill a game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Akion posted:

I mean, if you look at it where something like an Anaconda is this goal your strive for for months and months to earn, it makes sense.

Calculate how many ships you'd have to destroy at 1000 CR each to buy and half-decently outfit an Anaconda and reconsider how much sense that makes in any context.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The official forums now have a main thread for all the NPC issues, I'm skimming it, its kinda interesting to see the perspectives of some of the people that play the game:

quote:

- Make Dangerous NPC rare, Deadly even more rare, and Elite super-rare. They should be seen as "legendary" enemies that CAN and WILL kill you if you don't have enough experience and gear to deal with them. They may worth a HUGE amount of money (how about 500K or even 1M bounty for an Elite Anaconda?), but you have to find them. They are perfect target for assassination missions.

They think a 1mil bounty on the hardest NPC in the game is a "HUGE" amount of money. One trade run, against an opponent that is more powerful than any player can ever be. Against an opponent that is likely to kill you and cause you to lose 8+mil.

You would need to kill 250 of these to pay off a ship that can kill one. And thats an improvement from current which is over 1000, probably more because you'll have repairs to worry about.

The post after that one starts:

quote:

Well... I can -in part- understand some of the tears. But I can't help the thought that they come from players that have been used to a broken game.

Its no human right to always win in a video game.
Its no human right to fly shieldless ships.
Its no human right to explore unarmed.
Etc.

They don't get it. Most content needs to be "easy". Involuntary combat needs to be easier than voluntary combat. No new player is going to buy and enjoy the game in its current state.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shine posted:

Calculate how many ships you'd have to destroy at 1000 CR each to buy and half-decently outfit an Anaconda and reconsider how much sense that makes in any context.

Figure 500,000,000 for a Combat Anaconda.

Now figure you are the Red Baron reincarnated and have 0 downtime because of how massive your dick is, so you can kill 1 ship/minute.

That gives you 60k/hour of income.

500,000,000/60,000. It would take you 8,333 hours and 20 minutes to grind that much money.

Working at it for 50 hours a week you would reach your Anaconda in a little over 3 years.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
:siren:Vive Users!:siren:

So its true they hosed up the patch notes but apparently they did change the UI scale for Vive Users they just aren't letting us control that scale, its done automatically. I haven't tried but apparently playing in the Vive is way better according to some, will try later tonight.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Wow, I nearly got my Asp handed to me by an NPC imperial courier. I was able to get away but fighting was just not happening.

Might just doff all my weapons on my Asp now to save the weight.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got the lifetime pass for this game at launch or whatever and had such high hopes. I can't believe the design choices and lack of content after this time. It really is amazing that a game company could take such a cool concept and destroy it like frontier have. I uninstalled a couple of months ago and haven't regretted it. Probably never will install again without a radical rebuilding from the ground up of something that resembles a game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I kinda wish this was a single player/private server game so you could just create a mod that adjusts the value of npc bounties and other profits on a per server basis. Like, just a few changes would make this game a blast.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I kinda wish this was a single player/private server game so you could just create a mod that adjusts the value of npc bounties and other profits on a per server basis. Like, just a few changes would make this game a blast.

Yeah, one of my main gripes with this game is the sheer bloody ridiculousness of item/ship pricing compared to earning potential. I've mentioned it before, but for comparison the biggest ship in Frontier: First Encounters - the Panther Clipper - cost 2,000,000. Now, that'll barely buy you a large beam laser.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

hobbesmaster posted:

The official forums now have a main thread for all the NPC issues, I'm skimming it, its kinda interesting to see the perspectives of some of the people that play the game:

They think a 1mil bounty on the hardest NPC in the game is a "HUGE" amount of money. One trade run, against an opponent that is more powerful than any player can ever be. Against an opponent that is likely to kill you and cause you to lose 8+mil.

You would need to kill 250 of these to pay off a ship that can kill one. And thats an improvement from current which is over 1000, probably more because you'll have repairs to worry about.

They don't get it. Most content needs to be "easy". Involuntary combat needs to be easier than voluntary combat. No new player is going to buy and enjoy the game in its current state.

Not only is it stupid from a gameplay perspective (payouts needs to be relative to how hard they are to get and how much you risk to get it), it's also stupid from a realism perspective. Let's be very generous and say an Anaconda is worth 250k in Bounties: No person flying an Anaconda would give a poo poo about that money - that's peanuts. And nobody who doesn't literally respawn (a realistic person living in that universe that's mortal) would bother hunting an anaconda for that little money. Bounties would not exist at that joke tier level if there were no immortal players with nothing better to do flying around collecting an Anaconda pilots bar-tabs worth of money while risking ships that are worth far more than the payout. Nobody would bother posting them, because nobody would be dumb enough to try and collect.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Do they have any avenue for providing feedback other than the brown sea? I can't be the only person who's long since given up trying to make their voice heard over that ocean of piss-people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pilchenstein posted:

Do they have any avenue for providing feedback other than the brown sea? I can't be the only person who's long since given up trying to make their voice heard over that ocean of piss-people.

I don't think it matters much, they're pretty obstinate.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Pilchenstein posted:

I've wondered this too but I think its hopeless. Good lord almighty is that forum complete and utter garbage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Nope, which is why they continue to make bad decisions.

The only input they get is from people who want to play the game as a second job. And who think progression is meaningless... Now that they have their billions from intra-system drug running.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

I've wondered this too but I think its hopeless. Good lord almighty is that forum complete and utter garbage.
Fear not, Derek Smart is posting there now!

I actually don't mind Derek, but the places he turns up do have the tendency to catch on fire...

You've had the game a loving month, how would you know!

They've actually changed lots of things for players, they just get a bit of inertia behind them with big updates. Don't worry though, we'll wear the fuckers down eventually.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 27, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pilchenstein posted:

Reddit. But that isn't much better tbqh

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In many ways its worse. Maybe if someone makes a post and all of us upvote it could get enough momentum to actually be significant. Otherwise it just gets drowned out by a sea of "The grind is fine and good" - A commander who has a decked out anaconda and no job.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I know pretty much everyone disagrees with me, but I'd like to point out I am at least dirt poor in elite and have never touched an fdl let alone a conda

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn't mind if it was something like whatever arbitrary bounty plus 10% of the enemy ship's re-buy cost if you're at the same level as the NPC. Maybe 10% more for each level they're above you.

With that, you're a new harmless player and come across a overly kitted out Eagle being flown by an Expert NPC. You kill that NPC and get a little over 50,000 credits for your time and trouble.
For a starting player that would help out a lot.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Strategic Tea posted:

I know pretty much everyone disagrees with me, but I'd like to point out I am at least dirt poor in elite and have never touched an fdl let alone a conda

You sorta touched on it with your previous post about "the grind" being core gameplay, but you have it backwards. The problem is that the game is so devoid of content that the grind is all there is. Speaking as someone who likes the space dogfighting and doesn't really want to be in a bigger ship, I still get bored because there was nothing to do but mill around in combat zones or RES or whatever forever.

It's a sandbox with nothing but an exponentially priced set of slightly larger shovels.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

I meant more in the current scheme of things. 1000 CR a kill is dumb and Braben should feel dumb for doing it.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I only go to the E:D subreddit to see S!lk say dumb things. If the official forums are the Brown Sea, the E:D subreddit is the Yellow Lagoon.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

For real Frontier actually pays quite a bit of attention to reddit and reddit is full of dumb yes-men who like to agree. If a post gets above a certain number of upvotes it will snowball out of control and maybe frontier will actually see it and do something. It got the ball rolling for Vive support.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Voyager I posted:

You sorta touched on it with your previous post about "the grind" being core gameplay, but you have it backwards. The problem is that the game is so devoid of content that the grind is all there is. Speaking as someone who likes the space dogfighting and doesn't really want to be in a bigger ship, I still get bored because there was nothing to do but mill around in combat zones or RES or whatever forever.

It's a sandbox with nothing but an exponentially priced set of slightly larger shovels.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think the real solution will always be to add more sand to the sandbox. And to add buckets, windmills, seashells and whatever to fly instead of just larger and more expensive shovels.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

King of Cheeses posted:

Seems they've made a temporary 'fix' for acquiring meta-alloys. From Frontier Forums:

There's a guy sitting there in an Asp trying to pirate people. He got really, really mad when i just walked away in a stealth cobra.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Akion posted:

I meant more in the current scheme of things. 1000 CR a kill is dumb and Braben should feel dumb for doing it.

I only go to the E:D subreddit to see S!lk say dumb things. If the official forums are the Brown Sea, the E:D subreddit is the Yellow Lagoon.

According to The Brown Sea capping bounties at 1000 CR was "Glorious" and changing it catered to entitled whiners.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So is this game more than space trucking now?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Just to point something out: Elite Dangerous is not a paying subscription game. They's already gots your money, friend. They don't have to give a poo poo what any sane player thinks, because their business model is selling the next shiny promise and stringing people along. They want you to buy the next season's worth of content, and they probably figure they can get away with a lot since the people who ragequit their current terrible game will (mostly) come slithering back for the new shiny and they'll make up the difference in brand new suckers - new ones are born every day after all. Heck, they'd probably make money off of driving people away at this point, less bandwith and server upkeep to pay for.

The game's an alpha. We all bought in for early access. I bought in for early access, I finally realise that now. They loving got me, and they got me good. Well done Frontier, all they had to do was not call it an alpha, and I'm all in, hook, line, sinker and the loving fisherman too.

I just never learn.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

So is this game more than space trucking now?

Yes! There's also Space Murdering and Space Exploring. Realistically these are just Space Trucking with different things at the end of the trip, be it violence or the crushing realization that you are sad and alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At the moment space trucking includes randomly being space murdered. So theres that.

• Locked thread