Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I personally try to avoid streaming over wireless. You particularly don't want to have the NAS share attached to wireless too - you're cutting your bandwidth in more than half. If at all possible you should just pull a file across and play it locally. Short hops are feasible over a high-quality 802.11ac-type router but it is just an inferior experience all around.

In theory this could be fixed with a Type-C box providing power and network connectivity, maybe with powerline ethernet or something. Then you're back down to a single cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

In theory this could be fixed with a Type-C box providing power and network connectivity, maybe with powerline ethernet or something. Then you're back down to a single cable.

Or a POE NAS (none appear to exist at the moment). You'd have to make your own with a POE splitter

E: Synology EDS14 Mini is sold as a POE NAS.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 22, 2016

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Any ideas on when the new Denverton chips might show up or if they even are after Intel gave the ax to some of the Atom lineup. I want to build a lower power NAS/backup system and was considering waiting until the Denverton chips are released.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They're under the "Apollo Lake" platform now

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Considering I can watch as Facebook makes the system runs slower and slower left open on a single tab as it eats memory for whatever reason.

The horribleness of javascript combined with the slow rate of CPU improvement in the past 5 years were the main reasons why I hinged my new PC build this February around using Synergy. My previous gaming PC (Built around an i5-2400 and Geforce 570) is still in service, and now freely spends all its resources running a few hundred chrome tabs (and every other secondary program). Since the i7-6700k is king right now in terms of singlethread performance, but is only quadcore, I really really didn't want this extra performance being wasted on Javascript. My new rig only runs a minimal number tabs, and no extraneous processes. This way I don't have to choose between gaming performance and running lots of extra stuff in the background. I also never need to close a ton of programs before starting a performance demanding game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got an HP Prodesk 400 G2 Mini in at work, the i5-6500T CPU. It is a really nice little machine, not quite as small as the NUCs but still very compact.

One gotcha I found is that windows 7 will not seem to recognize the USB keyboard/mouse when I boot up, and I think that has something to do with EHCI/xHCI. Ended up installing windows 10 off a usb stick and that worked flawlessly.

The drat thing boots so fast, from powering it on to login screen it is faster than the monitor coming out of power saving mode. Crazy!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

priznat posted:

Got an HP Prodesk 400 G2 Mini in at work, the i5-6500T CPU. It is a really nice little machine, not quite as small as the NUCs but still very compact.

One gotcha I found is that windows 7 will not seem to recognize the USB keyboard/mouse when I boot up, and I think that has something to do with EHCI/xHCI. Ended up installing windows 10 off a usb stick and that worked flawlessly.

The drat thing boots so fast, from powering it on to login screen it is faster than the monitor coming out of power saving mode. Crazy!

Windows 7 does not have native USB 3 drivers so you would need to install drivers for the USB 3 ports if it has those.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Eregos posted:

The horribleness of javascript combined with the slow rate of CPU improvement in the past 5 years were the main reasons why I hinged my new PC build this February around using Synergy. My previous gaming PC (Built around an i5-2400 and Geforce 570) is still in service, and now freely spends all its resources running a few hundred chrome tabs (and every other secondary program). Since the i7-6700k is king right now in terms of singlethread performance, but is only quadcore, I really really didn't want this extra performance being wasted on Javascript. My new rig only runs a minimal number tabs, and no extraneous processes. This way I don't have to choose between gaming performance and running lots of extra stuff in the background. I also never need to close a ton of programs before starting a performance demanding game.

Why would you ever need a few hundred chrome tabs open? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eregos posted:

This... can't be a serious post, right? :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you new to this place because

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Hell, I don't even have that many chrome tabs - maybe 15-20? And it still manages to take up like 5 gigs of ram. Gmail tabs, for example, are always leaking. Given enough time, they'll use up 1 gb on their own. SA tab tends to be leaky as hell also. It seems that animated gifs are loaded over and over again, and never freed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Windows 7 does not have native USB 3 drivers so you would need to install drivers for the USB 3 ports if it has those.

Interestingly it has a couple of black usb ports which I figured were 2 or lower but plugging mouse & keyboard in those didn't work either. The keyboard worked fine for the safe mode menu and anything cli based (on any of the ports, 2 or 3) before booting to windows but once the gui loaded up, nada.

A good excuse to force us to start moving to win 10 anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

go3 posted:

yes please dont confuse autistic browsing habits with actual hardware limitations

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Or you can just use Opera Beta with native AdBlocking and Delayed Tab Loading. :v:

But really, web browsing may use some Ram, but with 16-32G being an easy $60-100 investment that should allow you to browse freely while doing whatever the hell you want otherwise.

Hell I can RipBot a bluray while playing WarThunder with ~40tabs open in Opera and not experience a hitch. 32G Ram + 6 SB-E Cores works wonders for multitasking still.

What puzzled me, is my GF's dad made his own system that looks to be using a Ivy Bridge i5K series, 16G ram, a SSD, and a R7 370, but drat did that PC seem to be choked to all hell just trying to run CODMW3 and doing some sort of video library caching in the background. (You can watch the FPS go from 60, down to 30-40s in the menu, and back up from whatever was running in the background.)

I feel it was some issue with Windows 7 and WMP that was screwing him up and I set him up with Plex to see if that would help, but that system really was just running like crap.

I blame Windows 7 as I have seen more than 1 install of that just poo poo the bed similar to ways I have seen XP in the past lately. Ugh.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

Interestingly it has a couple of black usb ports which I figured were 2 or lower but plugging mouse & keyboard in those didn't work either. The keyboard worked fine for the safe mode menu and anything cli based (on any of the ports, 2 or 3) before booting to windows but once the gui loaded up, nada.

A good excuse to force us to start moving to win 10 anyway.

I think what matters here is that there's only a USB 3.0 controller on the MB and that's what your black usb ports are connected to.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Josh Lyman posted:

Why wouldn't it be? The premise is entirely logical - modern videogames tend to be CPU bottlenecked. If you want to have a lot of other programs running without sacrificing performance, a second PC linked with a program like synergy is a logical solution. If you're building a new PC (based on LGA 1151 socket, for instance) its probably worthwhile to keep your old PC around to use as a secondary to run all this other stuff. I actually have only 96 chrome tabs running at present, I've become more disciplined about closing duplicates and unnecessary tabs than I used to be. Back in 2008-9 I'd have opera sessions with 300+ tabs. Obviously this created issues.

What really clinched this decision in my mind was I knew I wanted the best singlethread CPU on the market, but I was bothered by the knowledge this extra performance would often be effectively wasted by a lot of javascript crap and other applications I wanted to run in the background. Eventually I hit upon synergy and a 2nd pc as the logical solution. I realized buying the i7-6700k with a single PC setup would be incredibly stupid.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Eregos posted:

Why wouldn't it be? The premise is entirely logical - modern videogames tend to be CPU bottlenecked.

This is pretty much only true if your idea of videogames ends with Civ V and MMOs, and your idea of a CPU starts with "i3". Virtually everything else is GPU limited unless you are content to game at 1080p@60Hz on a $400+ video card for some unknowable reason. And at that point you're already so far past 60FPS that being "CPU limited" is meaningless. Even most MMOs aren't meaningfully CPU bottlenecked once you start talking about high-Hz 1440p or higher resolutions.

While you're right that a 6700k is not the best option for gaming + lots of background tasks, unless your background tasks are things like re-encoding your entire media library, options like the 5820k can hang right with a 6700k in gaming performance and still have plenty of oomph left over for your 300 tabs of javascript.

Frankly a 6700k by itself would probably be fine as long as you have enough RAM to feed all your tabs, depending on the game and what you mean by "background tasks"; the i5-2400 was not exactly a killer chip, by comparison. Despite its numerical similarity to the 2500k/2600k, it has aged far less gracefully due to the lack of that giggle-inducing overclockability.

e; I mean, if you've got a system that works for you, then great! Just saying that what you describe is not necessarily the simplest or most logical way of accomplishing what you've described as your objective.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

This is pretty much only true if your idea of videogames ends with Civ V and MMOs, and your idea of a CPU starts with "i3". Virtually everything else is GPU limited unless you are content to game at 1080p@60Hz on a $400+ video card for some unknowable reason. And at that point you're already so far past 60FPS that being "CPU limited" is meaningless. Even most MMOs aren't meaningfully CPU bottlenecked once you start talking about high-Hz 1440p or higher resolutions.

While you're right that a 6700k is not the best option for gaming + lots of background tasks, unless your background tasks are things like re-encoding your entire media library, options like the 5820k can hang right with a 6700k in gaming performance and still have plenty of oomph left over for your 300 tabs of javascript.

Frankly a 6700k by itself would probably be fine as long as you have enough RAM to feed all your tabs, depending on the game and what you mean by "background tasks"; the i5-2400 was not exactly a killer chip, by comparison. Despite its numerical similarity to the 2500k/2600k, it has aged far less gracefully due to the lack of that giggle-inducing overclockability.

e; I mean, if you've got a system that works for you, then great! Just saying that what you describe is not necessarily the simplest or most logical way of accomplishing what you've described as your objective.

Yeah, RAM is what matters for having lots of tabs open. I don't think Chrome refreshes tabs that aren't active in their window. I have tabs cancer too, and I'm totally fine with a 4690K and 16 GB of RAM. Last time I checked Firefox was much heavier on resources than Chrome, and Adblock Plus was much heavier than uBlock Origin.

The 5820K is marginally slower than Skylake in single-threaded performance, but if you can get it to the same clocks the difference is pretty small. And the 5820K overclocks really well. And it blows it away if you can get all the cores into action. The real downside is that it puts out way, way, way more heat especially when you overclock it. It's 143W idle-to-AVX and more like 220-230 when overclocked. I would consider running at least a 240-280mm AIO if not all the way to a triple.

Still though it costs the same as a 6700K, so why not?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, RAM is what matters for having lots of tabs open. I don't think Chrome refreshes tabs that aren't active in their window. I have tabs cancer too, and I'm totally fine with a 4690K and 16 GB of RAM. Last time I checked Firefox was much heavier on resources than Chrome, and Adblock Plus was much heavier than uBlock Origin.

The 5820K is marginally slower than Skylake in single-threaded performance, but if you can get it to the same clocks the difference is pretty small. And the 5820K overclocks really well. And it blows it away if you can get all the cores into action. The real downside is that it puts out way, way, way more heat especially when you overclock it. It's 143W idle-to-AVX and more like 220-230 when overclocked. I would consider running at least a 240-280mm AIO if not all the way to a triple.

Still though it costs the same as a 6700K, so why not?

Well, the X99 mobos are much more expensive in general and a good cooler like a 280mm AIO increases the costs significantly. The 5820k starts making sense if you are going to be doing stuff that really eats CPU time while gaming, like it makes a lot of sense for some game streamers.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Last time I checked Firefox was much heavier on resources than Chrome
Last time you checked must have been years ago. :) Chrome is the biggest hog, by far, these days, of all resources.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I used to browse the internet with multiple browser windows with 32mb RAM. Now Firefox needs a gigabyte. (yes i know not the same internet).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the X99 mobos are much more expensive in general and a good cooler like a 280mm AIO increases the costs significantly.

X99's aren't much more expensive than the better-built Z170's these days. I mean, sure, you're not gonna find a $60 X99 board, but you also aren't going to be doing much overclocking on a $60 Z170 board, either. The cooler, similarly, is less of a price difference than you'd think, again because if you're going to overclock the 6700k you're going to want to slap a decent cooler on there (albeit you don't need nearly as beefy a one as you do for the 5820k--I've got a H110 on mine and that keeps up well enough, but it makes it work for it. triple would be a bit of overkill). Overall the price difference for the system is probably $100, maybe less depending on what the chip prices and sales are doing on a given day.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Assuming that the information here is accurate: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-core-i7-processors-specs-prices-launch/

Broadwell-E looks to offer near zero over Haswell-E, and prices have gone up since Haswell-E. I know expectations were low, but this is a little disappointing given that on the Xeon side Intel continued the trend of improvements in performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Twerk from Home posted:

Assuming that the information here is accurate: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-core-i7-processors-specs-prices-launch/

Broadwell-E looks to offer near zero over Haswell-E, and prices have gone up since Haswell-E. I know expectations were low, but this is a little disappointing given that on the Xeon side Intel continued the trend of improvements in performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar.

Looks like I'm waiting for Skylake-E and/or hoping Kaby Lake has a six-core 'K' option they haven't leaked yet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Unless they start making 6-core laptop SKUs, you're not going to see non-LGA2011 6-cores. The desktop chips made for LGA 115x are leaky runts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Twerk from Home posted:

Cool. Just had a Haswell-E workstation bought at work, good to know it will stay up-to-date for an extra Intel processor generation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I'm glad I didn't hold out for the Broadwell-E.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Problem is, Haswell-E will mysteriously be out of stock soon :thumbsup:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea even IB-E wasn't that huge of a upgrade on SB-E except they fixed all the stuff they half rear end not quite finished in X79. (Actual Certified PCI-E 3.0 support being the main thing I believe).

With X99 being a pretty feature filled setup already, BW-E ended up being just a core count bump and maybe a little power savings. Overclocking will be interesting to find out though. Will that 10 core be able to get anywhere above 3.5Ghz I wonder?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm more interested in what an E5-1650 v4 will clock up to

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Was TSX disabled for Haswell-E too?

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Still a bloody thousand dollars for an 8-core cpu! The future sucks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lowest end chip still has less pcie lanes. Boo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Second Sun posted:

Still a bloody thousand dollars for an 8-core cpu! The future sucks.

Not being able to utilize eight cores for sweet fps sucks even more.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

Not being able to utilize eight cores for sweet fps sucks even more.

Well it looks like vulkan/dx12 might be changing that. Still at the whim of terrible game programmers, but the potential is there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given that consoles have like seven cores available for use in games, developers have to figure out ways to make use of them. Should translate to better parallel code on the PC, too, eventually.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given that consoles have like seven cores available for use in games, developers have to figure out ways to make use of them. Should translate to better parallel code on the PC, too, eventually.

Ehh they really don't. Some of the "cores" are regular ol' CPU cores, but the majority, I think half, are graphics processors that only make pictures pretty.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Boiled Water posted:

Ehh they really don't. Some of the "cores" are regular ol' CPU cores, but the majority, I think half, are graphics processors that only make pictures pretty.

I'm not sure what you mean. PS4 and Xbox One both have AMD Jaguar based, 8 core CPUs. 8 traditional x86-64 cores. Before you even start talking about graphics.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HalloKitty posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. PS4 and Xbox One both have AMD Jaguar based, 8 core CPUs. 8 traditional x86-64 cores. Before you even start talking about graphics.

They are? Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Boiled Water posted:

They are? Welp.

The CPU part and GPU part are separate, but on the same die.

Really shows you how much space got wasted on sram on the bone.