Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Even assuming that people should be exposed to similar things to the ones that caused them trauma in the first place (which is a big assumption, but I'm no psychology expert so I wouldn't know) that should not be done willy-nilly and unexpectedly when they are enjoying a movie or reading a comic, but gradually and in a controlled manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean, here's a hot take-- accidentally deflating the tension or pacing in a scene with a trigger warning will still ruin a reader's day a lot less than, you know, triggering them without warning when they're just trying to read a comic strip.

lmao gently caress this guy

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's still pretty baffling to me that there's a certain subset of people who listen to someone say, "oh, I don't want to consume this piece of media because it has content I find upsetting" and hear, "I am scorning the face of Art by childishly refusing to face my demons through watching, I don't know, the five minute rape scene in the 2006 remake of The Hill Have Eyes".

In real life people wanting to avoid media that upsets them is almost always harmless and a matter of personal taste. Do you try to get your friend who hates horror movies to watch Freddy vs. Jason all the time so they can Face Their Fear?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

I mean, here's a hot take-- accidentally deflating the tension or pacing in a scene with a trigger warning will still ruin a reader's day a lot less than, you know, triggering them without warning when they're just trying to read a comic strip.

lmao gently caress this guy

Yeah they fuckin suck and idk why people keep responding to their lovely arguments

poppy needs to update so there's something else to talk about. is it even doing Mondays/Fridays right now or only mondays?

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 27, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Trigger warnings are like spoiler warnings. They're a nice idea for making a discussion or a work of art more welcoming to a wider range of people. People can obnoxiously overuse them, it can be aggravating when people act like failing to provide one is a grave sin. But ultimately they're a good thing that helps people communicate when they otherwise might not, especially on the internet.

I think Poppy is still doing Mondays and Fridays, but it seems to update really late in the day.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I explained the distinction--content warnings are very very vague, trigger warnings are much more specific. I've talked to a nurse friend of mine and she agrees that trigger warnings could be useful, but says that it's absolutely impossible to warn everyone about every conceivable threat to their psyche. You can't insulate everyone from everything.

Welp. We can't insulate everyone from everything, so lets just pack it up. Might as well have no laws then, or anything. Glad we solved this. Thanks for your insightful input 8 Bit Scholar, this is extremely useful. I mean, I can't believe people wear clothes, and sit inside, what absolute pissbabies, am I right? Oh your mortal flesh prevents you from walking around all day nude in the elements? Cats can do it, and they can't even make satellites. Problem solved. Lets just go back to lawless murder.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I explained the distinction--content warnings are very very vague, trigger warnings are much more specific.

You seem to be coming from a perspective of "trigger warnings are bad, so the bad ones are trigger warnings and the good ones are not". A note at the start of the chapter/comic saying there will be scenes of sexual violence and discretion is advised is just as much a trigger warning as a page full of "warning: rape incoming, avert your eyes now" right on top of the event. They can be done well and they can be done badly but the spirit behind the are them same, and they are an overall good trend for many people and an irrelevant one to the rest, so why complain.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

It's still pretty baffling to me that there's a certain subset of people who listen to someone say, "oh, I don't want to consume this piece of media because it has content I find upsetting" and hear, "I am scorning the face of Art by childishly refusing to face my demons through watching, I don't know, the five minute rape scene in the 2006 remake of The Hill Have Eyes".

In real life people wanting to avoid media that upsets them is almost always harmless and a matter of personal taste. Do you try to get your friend who hates horror movies to watch Freddy vs. Jason all the time so they can Face Their Fear?

Then why are content warnings insufficient as they are? And recall, the impetus for this entire discussion was the Dumbing of Age strip that put this forward as an example utilizing trigger warnings: http://www.dumbingofage.com/2016/comic/book-6/03-when-god-closes-the-door/ghosts/

If you personally refuse to experience certain types of content for whatever reason, that's entirely your right, I don't care. I don't want people to go see anything they don't want to, I just think it's needless and obtrusive to do it in this manner. Trigger warnings exist for valid reasons and there are definitely people who are not emotionally capable of seeing certain content, sure. But this is a small minority, and I'd argue that once you start including them, how do you stop? Should every possible traumatic action have trigger warnings? Who determines whether a movie's content requires these warnings? Based on what criteria?

Space-Bird posted:

Welp. We can't insulate everyone from everything, so lets just pack it up. Might as well have no laws then, or anything. Glad we solved this. Thanks for your insightful input 8 Bit Scholar, this is extremely useful. I mean, I can't believe people wear clothes, and sit inside, what absolute pissbabies, am I right? Oh your mortal flesh prevents you from walking around all day nude in the elements? Cats can do it, and they can't even make satellites. Problem solved. Lets just go back to lawless murder.

lol okay then

Wittgen posted:

Trigger warnings are like spoiler warnings. They're a nice idea for making a discussion or a work of art more welcoming to a wider range of people. People can obnoxiously overuse them, it can be aggravating when people act like failing to provide one is a grave sin. But ultimately they're a good thing that helps people communicate when they otherwise might not, especially on the internet.

See, this is at least reasonable. I can see the utility, I'm just very skeptical of how this is actually going to be executed, particularly since everybody seems to be triggered by virtually anything these days.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah everyone's so loving triggered by death now. Oh wait, people used to wear mourning clothes for years and now they just try to find their cleanest Teefury dr who shirt for the service.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you are all basically arguing with this guy right now

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I know I should be discouraging this conversation from continuing, but instead I made this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
oh my god who posted about david loving willis in the first place like how did we get to this dark place.

Let's talk about literally anything else, ummmm

Is there a better gag comic than Whomp? I would posit there is not.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov posted:

I know I should be discouraging this conversation from continuing, but instead I made this.

thank you for this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, let me tell you dude, you're going to regret the time you spent trying to be a "technically correct" edgelord. Once you develop empathy and realize it yields genuine friendships, you're going to see that kind of posturing for the fool's errand it was.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

8-Bit Scholar posted:

thank you for this

You're still being way too whiney about trigger warnings in general, it's just too easy to make fun of this particular one.

Also I'm sorry TwoPair this is all my fault.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then why are content warnings insufficient as they are? And recall, the impetus for this entire discussion was the Dumbing of Age strip that put this forward as an example utilizing trigger warnings: http://www.dumbingofage.com/2016/comic/book-6/03-when-god-closes-the-door/ghosts/

If you personally refuse to experience certain types of content for whatever reason, that's entirely your right, I don't care. I don't want people to go see anything they don't want to, I just think it's needless and obtrusive to do it in this manner. Trigger warnings exist for valid reasons and there are definitely people who are not emotionally capable of seeing certain content, sure. But this is a small minority, and I'd argue that once you start including them, how do you stop? Should every possible traumatic action have trigger warnings? Who determines whether a movie's content requires these warnings? Based on what criteria?

im pretty sure by using common sense and basic empathy, most humans are capable of realizing which situations depicted in fiction are worthy of a warning or not. this isnt the deep, thoughtful proposition you think it is. the answer is just aggressively obvious to anyone who isnt logic-bot 6000 and demands a 50 step proof for every compassionate action

Pavlov posted:

erm,

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

those are some good fuckin' Oddishes

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

How did we even get onto discussing trigger/content warnings, because yes the comic in question contains one, but what really defines it is the deliberate sabotage of the mood that helps no one.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

oh my god who posted about david loving willis in the first place like how did we get to this dark place.

Let's talk about literally anything else, ummmm

Is there a better gag comic than Whomp? I would posit there is not.

Ronnie is funny in small doses. Read more than two or three and you realize that the joke is exclusively "ah ah look at the sad nerd" which stops being funny real fast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ronnie is funny in small doses. Read more than two or three and you realize that the joke is exclusively "ah ah look at the sad nerd" which stops being funny real fast.

I dunno, personally it never stops being funny to me. I guess it's just my sense of humor, or that I'm a sad weeb too.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Can we talk about Safe Spaces next? I'm really interested in emotional etiquette du jour and the intrinsic social responsibilities therein rather than Webcomics.

This is funny. Laugh, you turds.

Anyway I'm really enjoying The Last Cowboy and I wish it updated faster.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Says you. Ronnie always makes me chuckle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Whomp is consistently funny to me not because Ronnie is a sad nerd, but because he's a cartoonishly sad nerd.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

those are some good fuckin' Oddishes

They're from Mokepon, the best interminably long but reasonably competent Pokemon fanfiction you'll ever find

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They're from Mokepon, the best interminably long but reasonably competent Pokemon fanfiction you'll ever find

Is is hilariously grimdark, all the best pokemon fanfiction is hilariously grimdark

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yikes. Let's not engage with the human garbage.

Alaois posted:

Is is hilariously grimdark, all the best pokemon fanfiction is hilariously grimdark

Not really but when the main character's take on Pokemon is:

"On this trip I've found out there's only one way to win and that's...training for a ridiculously long and boring amount of time until your team becomes so powerful that of course you're going to win" it's pretty consistently worth a laugh.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 27, 2016

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

wait Mokepon is still running? I think I used to know the dude who does it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TwoPair posted:

oh my god who posted about david loving willis in the first place like how did we get to this dark place

Dumbing of Page

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

majormonotone posted:

Yeah they fuckin suck and idk why people keep responding to their lovely arguments

poppy needs to update so there's something else to talk about. is it even doing Mondays/Fridays right now or only mondays?

Poppy still updates on Mondays and Fridays, but its always been well into the night from my perspective in the eastern US.

Not as late as Kill Six Billion Demons, whose Tuesday/Friday updates seem to happen on Wednesday and Saturday.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

majormonotone posted:

wait Mokepon is still running?

The comic has lasted for almost eight years.

It hasn't gone past the third gym.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

poo poo, even Twitch Plays Pokemon didn't take more than a month.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On pokemon chat, I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that the newest antagonist in Badnix is literally missingno.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

On pokemon chat, I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that the newest antagonist in Badnix is literally missingno.

And in Cucumber Quest, in a way, it seems.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I'm sorry.
http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/33

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I once read this grimdark Nuzlocke comic where the main character's hometown was destroyed by Spearows going savage. I remember it having really neat art and interesting designs. It was from the Gold/Silver era but I don't remember its name. It was so deliciously over the top.

"METAPOD! KAKUNA! RISE!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thank you for all that you do

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this isn't heartbreaking at all!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dunno it's cringe comedy but I don't get tired of it because you can tell Ronnie is a caricature of the author rather than something truly meanspirited.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I have the definitive hot take on trigger warnings in webcomics:

If you're writing a story-focused self-contained comic with a set beginning and end and a connsistent tone emphasised by specific plot points you plan to or have touched on (aka a good comic) then having a content warning on your front page/website header/about page seems like adequate notice without triggering (lol geddit) weepy alt righters that think trigger warnings are the first step to the extinction of the white man. if you write a comic that flip flops around like a dead fish for years and has built readership off of that then something llike the whited out page with a quick pop up warning seems fine.

Or you could not read that webcomic because all you'll get out of it is Mary Worth level writing and if that's what you're looking for why go for any cheap imitators .... unless you really need Batman jokes to give your life meaning each day

• Locked thread