Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You appear to be assuming a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was under the impression Azami was in charge of all that stuff since he was presumably Erina's legal guardian at the time as he hadn't been kicked out of the house yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Give old man Senzaemon a break. His schedule was probably always packed to the brim with foodie concerns, so he couldn't keep tabs with what his shithead son-in-law was planning for his granddaughter. Besides, ~anime~

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

You appear to be assuming a lot.

Senzaimon was aware that Erina was working.
Senzaimon directly benefited from that work.
Senzaimon had the ability to cancel that work for at least one day.
Senzaimon did cancel Erina's work for one day, but for his own sake.
Senzaimon did not tell Erina that her work was cancelled.
Senzaimon told her she should take a break, but did not make her despite it being well within his ability to do so.

Sure, he probably didn't know Erina was miserable all the time and hated being a professional food taster. The dude wasn't deliberately trying to hurt her. Again, neglect doesn't require malice. But we know that he didn't mind a child being put to work, and didn't think about said child when he cancelled her work for his own reasons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you've got anime parents, you're more than likely hosed, sadly. Them's the breaks.

Wark Say posted:

Give old man Senzaemon a break. His schedule was probably always packed to the brim with foodie concerns, so he couldn't keep tabs with what his shithead son-in-law was planning for his granddaughter. Besides, ~anime~

Whoa, that's a powerful Lum av.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Once again dude, he didn't cancel her work, because he was surprised it was cancelled. He merely cleared his own schedule.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
What do you mean he didn't tell Erina her work was cancelled when she was the one that said her work was cancelled

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you guys are so fond of grandparental abuse in a cooking manga, may I suggest IRON WOK JAN?

Featuring INTENSE WOK ACTION.

Even INTENSE WOK ACTION ON TOP OF A SWORD. And LIVE FISH HUGGING.

Also some GOOD OLD FASHIONED BEATDOWNS from a CANCER RIDDLED GRANDPA.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Somehow I knew that was gonna come up, thank you for not letting me down Zepia

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And if that's not your thing here is some HOT OSTRICH ON HUMAN ACTION.

He cooked up her dog and fed it to her. You won't BELIEVE what happened after!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

Somehow I knew that was gonna come up, thank you for not letting me down Zepia

I will never hesitate to bring Iron Wok Jan up in the hopes that one day, English scans for the manga will appear online so everyone can enjoy the world's greatest cooking manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Serious Frolicking posted:

Senzaimon was aware that Erina was working.
Senzaimon directly benefited from that work.
Senzaimon had the ability to cancel that work for at least one day.
Senzaimon did cancel Erina's work for one day, but for his own sake.
Senzaimon did not tell Erina that her work was cancelled.
Senzaimon told her she should take a break, but did not make her despite it being well within his ability to do so.

Sure, he probably didn't know Erina was miserable all the time and hated being a professional food taster. The dude wasn't deliberately trying to hurt her. Again, neglect doesn't require malice. But we know that he didn't mind a child being put to work, and didn't think about said child when he cancelled her work for his own reasons.
Ok, some assumptions here:
Erina's day off and grandpa asking if she wanted to stop were different days. Minor thing, but worth nothing.

More importanty, you're assuming he was the one that cleared her schedule. But this makes no sense. This would imply he deliberately lied to her by both pretending to not know why she had nothing to do and inventing a fake set of circumstances regarding the cancellation (otherwise she'd've said something like "you cancelled them" or such). That would be definitely malicious, which contradicts everything we know about him (and how he's portrayed).
It also plays against his own interests, because if people are busy with Erina then they're not busy with him, which is what he wants at Saiba's request.

And of course, if Azami's not kicked out then it's obvious that he's still Erina's legal guardian and therefore in charge of her education and whatnot.

You're also assuming grandpa's the one that gets all the benefits and prestige from Erina's work and where the hell did that come from.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 27, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/168/3430/11

Senzaemon cancelled all the appointments so Saiga could come cook for him. He asked Erina why she wasn't working, even. I would think that he was being coy and wanted Erina to have some of Saiga's cooking, but she wandered in on her own. Cancelling all of Erina's appointments so that she could have a nice meal would be a very nice thing to do. Only, he didn't tell her she had the day off, didn't invite her for a meal and even asked her to leave. That is a bit too far even if he is terminally tsundere.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yeah I came here to post that same thing. You win this one.

I still don't think it's nearly as bad as you paint it tho.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 27, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man, I just do not care about any of this Erina stuff. Where the heck is Megumi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Also, I don't really understand the business plan for having a child eat garbage and criticize chefs all day every day, but either someone was profiting from it or they were making Erina miserable for no reason. Senzaemon was the head of the family and we have already seen what Azami's idea of gourmet training was. So, the jolly old man who likes to get naked remains the most likely cause for Erina's terrible childhood. She is still doing that food tasting thing, and may have been doing it for her whole life up to and following Azami's abusive training.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

Yeah I came here to post that same thing. You win this one.

I still don't think it's nearly as bad as you paint it tho.

It wouldn't be if not for that one scene of Senzaemon being so drat weird. He was so close to being a very nice grandpa in that flashback, but then he either forgot or pretended to forget about Erina.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They just built her up like the world's top food critic (which she is). At no point the story ever gave credit for Erina's work on anybody but Erina herself. I figure that they saw her amazing ability and realized she had the potential to be something great so they groomed her to achieved it, but nobody really quite realized the implications of having the ability to find flaws nobody else could. And that's not surprising at all, for reasons that should be obvious.

It wouldn't be if not for that one scene of Senzaemon being so drat weird. He was so close to being a very nice grandpa in that flashback, but then he either forgot or pretended to forget about Erina.

I just took it as "friend of granddaddy came to visit please go play in your room", which is something that happens all over the world all the time. Especially when you're, like paragon1 put it, filthy stinking rich and have somewhere to send the children.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 27, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really don't think he consciously cancelled all her appointments.

Saiba says that he'd "clear all waiting", and the old man probably just told his assistant to clear everything, with the unintended consequence of canceling Erina's stuff.

Not arguing that he's not being a kinda lovely parent/grandparent, but it's really not as nefarious as its being made out itt.

E: remember, this is mangastream, so it may all be about a lovely TL, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I really don't think he consciously cancelled all her appointments.

Saiba says that he'd "clear all waiting", and the old man probably just told his assistant to clear everything, with the unintended consequence of canceling Erina's stuff.

Not arguing that he's not being a kinda lovely parent/grandparent, but it's really not as nefarious as its being made out itt.

E: remember, this is mangastream, so it may all be about a lovely TL, too.

True. If his lines during the scene with Saiga were different that might make all the difference.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or maybe he just isn't the greatest person? he is known as the demon king of the food mafia.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't give a heck about the plight of "Meh"rina.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway i'm a bit disappointed Soma is going to restore Erina's faith in cooking rather than Alice even though they have more of a relationship. Although, I guess it's a good thing to have Erina accept Soma's cooking now rather than keep it as a thing for another arc or two. Since it's already been a thing for too long and Erina's become a much nicer and cooler person so it's sort of unnecessary right now. I really don't want another few chapters on a Soma dish though. Other people need some good cooking focus.

This is pretty much supposed to be the big turning point in Soma and Erina's relationship, so it kinda has to be him.

I'm expecting something like they work together to try and recreate the dish she ate that day, and while Soma ultimately comes up short it's the thought that counts and Erina is touched. They make it a regular thing and Soma starts to enjoy cooking for Erina in particular, and then one day he gets good enough that he matches/exceeds what his dad made that day and blah blah blah Saiba is in the background going all "JUST AS PLANNED".

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

BlitzBlast posted:

This is pretty much supposed to be the big turning point in Soma and Erina's relationship, so it kinda has to be him.

I'm expecting something like they work together to try and recreate the dish she ate that day, and while Soma ultimately comes up short it's the thought that counts and Erina is touched. They make it a regular thing and Soma starts to enjoy cooking for Erina in particular, and then one day he gets good enough that he matches/exceeds what his dad made that day and blah blah blah Saiba is in the background going all "JUST AS PLANNED".

It's this, with Soma knowing more of Jouichirou's common-man stylings than his gourmet features that is what makes the first few dishes weak.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Senzaimon was just as willing as Azami to exploit a child for that god's tongue silliness. The only adult who treated her well during her childhood was some guy she met once who made her a tasty meal. It is no wonder she became fixated on him.

I mean, Senzeamon has to know about Soma at this point so I can only guess its part of his Master Eugenist plan.

Also, you would think that if Erina has detailed memories of this period in time, Soma would remember his dad being named "Saiba." Although I guess its possible he just went back to using the name just for Erina for.....some reason?

She wandered in on her own and Senzaimon tried to send her away. Like, the dude didn't even bother to tell her that her appointments for the day were cancelled. He cancelled them because he wanted some privacy and didn't give a Erina a second thought.
I'm not sure if this is an issue with translation or what but it seemed to me like Senzu set the entire thing up for Erina to eat Jo's food. Like the way I read it, Senzu acts confused about why all the people left (at least to Erina), and then she says the clients cancelled, and in response Jo's confused because Senzu had told him that Senzu himself had cancelled all those people. Which makes it sound like he intentionally cancelled them as part of a keikaku to make her show up to the meeting. Now it might seem like that's reading too much into it, but we're talking about a character that secretly set Soma up as an applicant he had already accepted and forced Erina to do the taste-testing admission anyways, not to mention they've shown him literally watching the two through binoculars and poo poo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 27, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Dammit Saiba, I'm trying to be subtle about this!"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, that's a powerful Lum av.

A top-tier waifu deserves a Powerful AV, ese. ;)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Dammit Saiba, I'm trying to be subtle about this!"

The Saiba/Yukihira men are known non-givers of fucks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is approaching peak levels of anime plot convolution here. There's basically no reason for Senzaemon to let her have her childhood destroyed by her father just so he can play like a ten year long con because his son and Jouichirou were the same sex and couldn't make the perfect food baby he wanted. Unless of course there's some kind of social custom that prevents grandparents from intervening when the parents are abusing their children.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eej posted:

This is approaching peak levels of anime plot convolution here. There's basically no reason for Senzaemon to let her have her childhood destroyed by her father just so he can play like a ten year long con because his son and Jouichirou were the same sex and couldn't make the perfect food baby he wanted. Unless of course there's some kind of social custom that prevents grandparents from intervening when the parents are abusing their children.

IT'S ALL GOING ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU, JUST YOU WAIT

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Also, I don't really understand the business plan for having a child eat garbage and criticize chefs all day every day, but either someone was profiting from it or they were making Erina miserable for no reason. Senzaemon was the head of the family and we have already seen what Azami's idea of gourmet training was. So, the jolly old man who likes to get naked remains the most likely cause for Erina's terrible childhood. She is still doing that food tasting thing, and may have been doing it for her whole life up to and following Azami's abusive training.

I wouldn't say that they were making Erina miserable for no reason. Erina just has exceptionally high standards and as she was growing up it was nigh impossible for her family to find cooks who could make anything she was able to accept. Hell she rejected her mother's breast milk and the Nakiri family had to hire a horde of chefs to make baby food that was acceptable for her.

If her clients were outright bad chefs they wouldn't be going to her. They're some of the best chefs in the world, it's just that even they can't satisfy her incredibly refined palate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eej posted:

I mean its pretty clear that Senzu's entire thing is trying to mastermind making Erina into a normal person through back-channel means rather than directly taking part in her rearing. He specifically says that's what he wants, but then he asks Soma to do the job instead of doing it himself.

I mean, the Erina-Soma shipping thing is just a joke, but it seems pretty clear he's all about the long con "just as planned" stuff with regards to raising Erina to be a normal, happy person who likes food.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So he's trying to be a good grandparent but is just too dojikko to do it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The best thing Azami ever did was cut Alice's contact with Erina. Look at how good a character she turned out to be because of it!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean its pretty clear that Senzu's entire thing is trying to mastermind making Erina into a normal person through back-channel means rather than directly taking part in her rearing. He specifically says that's what he wants, but then he asks Soma to do the job instead of doing it himself.

I mean, the Erina-Soma shipping thing is just a joke, but it seems pretty clear he's all about the long con "just as planned" stuff with regards to raising Erina to be a normal, happy person who likes food.

Which is really messed up if you think about it for more than one second because he could've just intervened way before Azami's poo poo got out of hand and spared a young girl years of torture.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure everyone was ok with the making her taste test dishes, it's the weird brainwashing poo poo that azami did that got him booted and i doubt everyone know about that for years.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean its kind of weird no one did a sit down on one of Azami's training sessions for the all important Food Princess, if only to take notes.

Or I guess one could make the pretty dark assumption that plenty of people totally knew about what was going on and didn't say anything.

Also: Having everything you eat taste like poo poo sounds like the worst sort of hell.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

erina is like one of those picky eaters who only eat fries and hotdogs

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Davincie posted:

erina is like one of those picky eaters who only eat fries and hotdogs

The fact that she thinks everything she's ever ate except this one dish she had when she was 10 is probably what you would call "picky", yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet she actually doesn't have a really refined palate and actually just has a bizarre reversed palate where she finds really sophisticated food bad and cheap food good, but because she's literally never had cheap food is unaware of the latter. Soma will take her to McDonald's and there will be a two page spread of her having the most magnificent food orgasm yet portrayed in the series.