Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Valkyrie, maybe War Thunder, ETS can chug in cities on mid-range cards.

I have war thunder set to ~medium on my 980Ti, and outside VR it delivers like 300fps on 2560x1600. Setting to higher graphics makes little to zero difference in the low resolution world of VR, so I just play at that preset. Works great, having tons of fun.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

There are some amazing experiences available right now, but content is still pretty thin. I'd suspect your mileage depends on how enthusiastic you are for VR in general. If you're on the fence, I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd Gen headsets.

IMO it depends on how enthusiastic you are for simulations. Elite, driving sims, plane sims are all games I spend quite a bit of time in, so not getting VR was a non-starter for me. Otherwise yeah, probably wait for 2nd gen, VR content outside cockpit sims is scarce (though some of it is so loving good..)

EdEddnEddy posted:

Elite Dangerous and Project Cars (and I guess Asseto Corsa now too) are the VR performance one that will eat alive a single GPU VR setup. (And SLI doesn't work in VR yet).

Dunno about the other two, but my vive runs elite fine since beta/engineers dropped. I do play on VR low preset tho, didn't bother yet to try high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Wait I'm still in Hawaii for another week but looking at prices for when I come back and they are bullshit in the UK? 620 is the minimum which is what people thought may happen and the OC strix are like 80 more? Guess I might be waiting for the Ti after all to hope it levels out next launch.

Unless this will level out to be reasonable in a month or two?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blocked after step-1 on the step up with EVGA since their server is getting poo poo on.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Elite Dangerous and Project Cars (and I guess Asseto Corsa now too) are the VR performance one that will eat alive a single GPU VR setup. (And SLI doesn't work in VR yet).

No kidding. For project CARS on my overclocked 290x I had to turn everything down to medium settings to ensure a solid framerate. That's not a huge drop in visual quality considering the resolution of current VR headsets, but its enough to get me thinking of buying a 1080.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Truga posted:

I have war thunder set to ~medium on my 980Ti, and outside VR it delivers like 300fps on 2560x1600. Setting to higher graphics makes little to zero difference in the low resolution world of VR, so I just play at that preset. Works great, having tons of fun.

IMO it depends on how enthusiastic you are for simulations. Elite, driving sims, plane sims are all games I spend quite a bit of time in, so not getting VR was a non-starter for me. Otherwise yeah, probably wait for 2nd gen, VR content outside cockpit sims is scarce (though some of it is so loving good..)

Dunno about the other two, but my vive runs elite fine since beta/engineers dropped. I do play on VR low preset tho, didn't bother yet to try high.

I say they had some patch notes about code optimization for planets and such, will have to give it a try.

I am the opposite, I push everything to MAX then tune down from there. Elite maxed out (Outside of scaling which is at 1.0X of course) gets a bit slower on planets (45-55FPS) pre Engineers. So I will have to see if they somehow improved on that. The game looks downright fantastic in VR on the Rift though so when a card comes out that can run it at 1.5X at least at 90FPS everywhere, that card I will want. (Don't think even a 1080 can do that just yet, but I'd love to test. A 1080Ti should do it I'd guess).

Project CARS is great maxed solo, but the minute you put a full grid on track the FPS plummets. I need to tweak some settings to see what affect s the FPS the most as Texture stuff doesn't seem to bother it, (nor max out the 6G the Ti has anyway). Maybe more reflections and shadow reduction :( Without Shadows though, the game looses a lot of its really high quality visuals as everything looks flat and plastic then. Shadows in Elite, make that games visuals. Soo Nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's looking like the pre-orders from Fry's are going to go out in two waves. A set now and then another set on June 14th. Since I haven't gotten any sort of shipping confirmation, I'm assuming I'm in the latter group.

And, of course, on Weds I get shipping notification for my Rift, a half a month sooner than they said it would arrive. So, I'm going to have a nice shiny new VR headset on Tuesday with nothing to run it. It's almost tempting to kill my order, run down to best buy and pick up an EVGA 970 for $300, and then do the step up program when the custom designs come out. I just wonder how constrained the supply would be in the next 90 days. I would hate to do that and then be stuck with the 970.

What makes that approach extra tempting is that I have Elite Plus status right now with Best Buy, so I have a 45 day return window.

Beyond that, Amex will let me return up to 90 days out. I seem to be protected from multiple directions.

So, I"m having trouble seeing a downside here.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you can trade up to the FTW edition (it's the only EVGA non-ref PCB at the moment) or wait for their premium PCBs after you play around for a month with your FE

basically you chose the best possible vendor for the founder's edition

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 27, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you can trade up to the FTW edition (it's the only EVGA non-ref PCB at the moment) or wait for their premium PCBs after you play around for a month with your FE

basically you chose the best possible vendor for the founder's edition

Oh, I know. I'm not worried about the founders edition and being able to trade up if I got that. That's specifically why I chose the EVGA one.

I'm just being a big impatient baby about the fact that I'm not going to be able to use my rift for over two weeks after I bought it. (if the shipping stories are true.)

Either that or I just do some of the less graphically intense things and turn down settings, using my XP15 with the 960m. From what I understand, there's no hard cutoff "this will not work", it's just framerate.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 27, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You also got it at frys, which has 30 days to return it without a restocking fee either way.

IF you can drive to one, just go in, grab whatever the highest open box card is there, and use it until the 1080 arrives and worry about things then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doom running at 60+ FPS in 4K with everything turned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ePLtROm6I

69*C with fans at 60% - he mentions you can barely hear it.

Super excited for this!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

You also got it at frys, which has 30 days to return it without a restocking fee either way.

IF you can drive to one, just go in, grab whatever the highest open box card is there, and use it until the 1080 arrives and worry about things then.

Closest Fry's is about 400 miles away.

They really need to expand into the east coast.

I can pretty much take the same approach at Best Buy though which is what I was saying since I have a 45 day return policy there. I was thinking about wandering down there later anyways on the EXTREME off chance they have the 1080 in store and no one thought to look for one. If there's an open box graphics card that meets the requirements, I might grab it because I would feel less lovely about returning it later.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FaustianQ posted:

Speaking of a potentially super awesome feature, XFX QD Fans for GPUs (and thus a Polaris/400 series feature)

Concerned about the acoustics, but man it'd be super awesome to just replace a fan easily than the whole drat cooler.

Fuuuuuuuuuck man Does this mean I can stick some Noctuas on there :stare:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck man Does this mean I can stick some Noctuas on there :stare:

Well it does look like the design is proprietary, but apparently XFX is working on a cheap license. So, maybe? I'd no poo poo buy XFX products to exclusively stick Phanteks or Noctua fans on them.

Wait, hang on...are those standardized fan screw mounts? Holy poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FaustianQ posted:

Wait, hang on...are those standardized fan screw mounts? Holy poo poo.

From the looks of it you'd have to custom-cut screws to mount standard fans.

It's also clearly proprietary, as the power connector is built into the bracket and clearly visible on the fan.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone thinking of the step-up program should also factor in the whole two lots of shipping you're gonna pay on sending your 970 or whatever to EVGA then paying for them to ship the 1080 to you. Its only $10-15~ each way but it was enough to dissuade me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's also clearly proprietary, as the power connector is built into the bracket and clearly visible on the fan.

Oh bullshit.
Man Why cant I have a GPU where I can use my ow superior fans.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can. It's called setup a custom loop.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So i'm waiting on a non-gimped, reasonably priced 1070 for gaming at 1440p. Would it be reckless to get a 970 on the EVGA step up program right now to play games on my GPU-less system and go up to a 1070 once (If?!) it's confirmed to be on the program?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I realize that since I have a 970 right now, the proper card for me upgrade to will be the 1070, especially since I've only got a 1080p monitor, but goddamn I kind of want a 1080 FTW or Classified just so I can have all the power.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have no faith in that securement method eventually loosening and the fan rattling around.

In which case, we're back at square one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Don Lapre posted:

You can. It's called setup a custom loop.

What If i want air cooling, huh :colbert:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You are. You're air-cooling the water.

Look, real talk, water cooling is just another way of saying "customizable heat pipes", and "no risk of delaminating your circuit boards by having a five pound weight hanging off the CPU socket area".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have air cooling, ride the bus, boil carpet for food. I won't judge

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Cheap bracket + cheap AIO is king imo. Fans don't even speed up and its like $80 total. That is if you want to anyway . I have a feeling these coolers are gonna work fine

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Valkyrie is not that GPU heavy. War Thunder can be though, and ETS/ATS has some lovely optimization problem where in a City the FPS AND CPU load drops from some bottleneck that I nor it seems anyone can really figure the hell out. Drive outside the city, and both CPU and GPU usage go back up along with FPS then. WTF?!?

CPU/GPU serialization point somewhere in the city processing. One idles on the other (maybe several times a frame) both increasing idle time and decreasing actual utilization.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here's JayzTwoCents talking about the 1080 throttling again, and how to work around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUo1S55ZUM

Interestingly, he said all reference coolers have done this, and it's not new. Which is probably why I've avoided them for so long.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

sorry for the dumb question, but i'm dumb and i'm trying to figure out which to step up to: should i be buying the founders edition or the evga ACX 3.0 edition (08G-P4- 6180-KR vs 6181-KR)? Of what I can find the ACX 3.0 is apparently more powerful, but is 80 dollars less than the founders edition, so i don't understand why their version is cheaper. I doubt EVGA would give me money BACK for the step up, and since i paid 700 for my special VR 980ti i can buy whichever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How long do you have to wait

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tweak posted:

sorry for the dumb question, but i'm dumb and i'm trying to figure out which to step up to: should i be buying the founders edition or the evga ACX 3.0 edition (08G-P4- 6180-KR vs 6181-KR)? Of what I can find the ACX 3.0 is apparently more powerful, but is 80 dollars less than the founders edition, so i don't understand why their version is cheaper. I doubt EVGA would give me money BACK for the step up, and since i paid 700 for my special VR 980ti i can buy whichever.

Don't get the Founders Edition. It's more expensive for no gain, and the single power connector limits its overclocking potential. Also eVGA doesn't care if you put your own aftermarket cooler on, so long as it doesn't end up bricking it. Also, the "SC" only has a single 8-pin connector as well, going by JayzTwoCents' video review of it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 28, 2016

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Tweak posted:

the founders is the new and cool marketing word for "reference" with a 100$ price premium for some strange reason like not competing with board partner cards. i would get the acx for the savings and probably the better performance

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

ok thanks, they just take the difference if i paid more but i'm fine with that considering (either way i just pay for shipping)

Don Lapre posted:

How long do you have to wait

about 30 days i think before my step up expires

Tweak fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 28, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tweak posted:

The FE is more expensive because Nvidia is doing weird things. The ACX 3.0 uses the same reference board as the FE but the cooler is far better so between the two you want the ACX 3.0. You could also wait for the versions with custom PCBs which should have better power delivery and higher OCing headroom but if you just want a 1080 that does not throttle and is fairly quiet the ACX 3.0 should be fine. Here is a video where the ACX 3.0 SC is tested and it looks to work fine, the SC is just a version with a bit of a factory overclock, the cooler and PCB are the same as the ACX 3.0 non-SC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can we just change the thread title to: "Don't Buy Founders Edition"?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have a preoder of the EVGA FTW but dang if that Asus Strix doesn't look good.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

Can we just change the thread title to: "Don't Buy Founders Edition"?

it's 100% worth it to buy a founders edition and sell it to frothing nerds

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Smithereens posted:

it's 100% worth it to buy a founders edition and sell it to frothing nerds

Yes, but at this point if you haven't already bought one you probably won't get it until after the feeding frenzy is over.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 29, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there any difference on all of these besides coming pre over clocked? And if I have a general idea on how to overlock a graphics card or can use google should I just go for the cheapest one of these three?

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Holyshoot posted:

Is there any difference on all of these besides coming pre over clocked? And if I have a general idea on how to overlock a graphics card or can use google should I just go for the cheapest one of these three?

The FTW version is a custom PCB with better power delivery, and should in theory turn in the best overclocks. Whether it'll be enough to be worth the extra price is anyone's guess. The only difference between the other two is a mild factory overclock, which you can basically disregard if you're going to overclock it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

I will say this about that AMDead article from HardOCP - everyone BUT HardOCP was invited to Macau, and I mean literally everyone. That's down right weird.
It came off to me like a lot of speculation and maybe being a tad pissed at AMD for not getting some review cards + not being invited to Macau but that doesn't mean all of it is nonsense.

The biggest thing to me that suggests AMD made some mistakes with either Polaris or Vega is the NDA expiration date in late June + the lack of detailed leaks and announcements like we were getting before.