Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

You had to do that twelve times in one game per enemy for it to happen. It's not really that big a deal unless you're actively trying to do it.
Eh, I can see this happening on a first playthrough. Still, there's a way to get the enemies back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

geop posted:

No spoilers for Dark Souls II allowed! This also means NO SPOILER TAGS. If you've gotta discuss something, go to the Games thread for it!

Why are people so bad about not talking about things :psyduck:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think this game looks very pretty.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Maelaevi posted:

In my day we had to walk ten miles to school, uphill both ways! :corsair:
To be fair that's not quite what you wrote, but :shrug: details.

To be more serious, all of the changes you mention were either neutral or for the best. The DS2 animations were actually mo-capped, so complaining that they look weird is a bit ironic. As for the color? The game looks drat pretty for a late entry to the 7th console generation, runs at 60 fps on my PC with everything turned up, and isn't quite as muddy as DS1. (I dunno about Demon's Souls, but it seems like they got by on account of polishing up downscaled textures such as on faces and equipment.) Plus your last (spoilery) complaint only really triggers in some corner cases, such as if DS2 is your first entry to the series.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think this game looks very pretty.

I think about half looks amazing and the other half looks really cartoony. Like, the firebombs are comically large and float through the air. Some of the colors are way oversaturated. But then there's other parts of the game that are amazingly atmospheric and I love them. It feels like two different lead artists worked on it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Maelaevi posted:

Its the only souls game that I have never played after beating and the only one that I did not buy the DLC for it.

I haven't got to any of the DLC content myself, but according to just about everyone the DLC is once again the best part of the game. I'm planning to use geop's progress to force myself to push forward in my own SotFS playthrough to stay ahead of him.

Random fanart:

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

The DS2 animations were actually mo-capped, so complaining that they look weird is a bit ironic.

What the hell did they give to the mo-cap people on firebomb day? They struggle like they are shot-putting medicine balls.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maelaevi posted:

I forgot how much I hate this game. From the walking animations to the way it looks and the colors they decided to use, I hate it all. It just looks like poo poo. Maybe it is just because it's different but I hate it. I didn't like how the enemies disappear if you kill them enough times. Back in my day when there were only two souls games out there you had to get better at beating the enemies. In this game the game just turns babby mode on if you suck enough. Also, it punishes you for adventuring and exploring the areas. Exploration in these games usually invovles going through an area multiple times and killing all the enemies along the way. In this game if you do that enough times the game just takes the gameplay part out of it. You end up exploring empty areas and it makes it feel more like a game and not a real environment. Not that these games are known for their realism but you know what I mean. Its the only souls game that I have never played after beating and the only one that I did not buy the DLC for it. I really really dislike this game and the more I watch this LP the more I'm reminded of how much hatred I have towards it. I'll still watch you guys since hatred is the only thing I can still feel.

I hope you get well soon

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I actually like that enemies will stop spawning, it gives people like me who are bad at the game a reprieve when they die a lot and have to go through the same area over and over.

It happened for me a couple times already.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

The DS2 animations were actually mo-capped, so complaining that they look weird is a bit ironic.

Is ironic the right word for that?

Anyway, I do think some of the animations are weird, mo-capped or not. Like, what happened on the day they mo-capped the sprinting animation?

DS3 was a step back for the sorcery casting animations, though. For players, at least, they went back to the stupid "raise staff, shoot blue out of hand instead of staff" animations from DS1 instead of the more dynamic ones from DS2. Though one sorcery-using boss does get a couple of the DS2 animations, the bastard.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I actually like that spoilered thing, it gives people like me who are bad at the game a reprieve when they die a lot and have to go through the same area over and over.

I'd like it better if it didn't punish you for trying to farm randomly-dropped gear. I know there are ways around it, but for some players those ways just make things harder when all they wanted was a cool piece of armor that was a rare drop.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 27, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
anything that keeps people from farming is a good thing

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Harrow posted:

I'd like it better if it didn't punish you for trying to farm randomly-dropped gear. I know there are ways around it, but for some players those ways just make things harder when all they wanted was a cool piece of armor that was a rare drop.

Oh yeah. There are some especially egregious examples as well; some armour drops from enemies that don't appear anywhere normally, while some other enemies only appear *once* per game and also have a rare drop rate. It's loving infuriating, even with the "way around it" that has been hinted at but not explicitly stated.

Arrhythmia posted:

anything that keeps people from farming is a good thing

If you mean "Here is some stuff you don't have to farm for" then yes.
If you mean "It's totally okay that the game puts up arbitrary brick walls to your ability to farm cool stuff you want" then no.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 27, 2016

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I practiced a lot after this session on these enemy types and stuff, just to nip any backseat-driving in the bud.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MGlBlaze posted:

If you mean "It's totally okay that the game puts up arbitrary brick walls to your ability to farm cool stuff you want" then no.

actually, yes it is

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Ah, the ballista room. Specifically the three extra hollows on the ballistas joining in on the fun resulting in having a group of four guys on you all at once, as Geop himself found out. Get used to that, Dark Souls 2 loves to throw a whole bunch of dudes at you at once for difficulty's sake.

Also the halberd guy at the 58 second mark managing to hit you even though it looked like you were out of range; those are the hitboxes you'll be dealing with in Dark Souls 2. That is also something you should probably get used to.

Oh, and shortly after that encounter with the ballista group. The fall didn't damage the halberd guy at all but removed almost half of Goonther's health.

Dark Souls 2, everybody. :ohdear:

The spear hollow soldiers specifically are also rather misleading. When they're doing various attacks it isn't actually visually obvious that they are in fact still blocking with their shield because their posture is so messed up. There is also one attack in particular I remember where they lift their shield up and seem to open themselves, but the game still counts them as blocking. This got me killed a lot, and it seems to have tripped Geop up a bit too.

Oh, also, the trapped chests. I am not a fan of their inclusion. Though sadly enough, that is one of the less offensive additions to Dark Souls 2.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 27, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, I think the difficulty 'cleverness' is as tough in Forest of Fallen Giants as it is anywhere. I still can't take it for granted when I play through it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
YouTube gave me the real Dark Souls experience by looping the first 2 minutes worth of audio over whole video. Not sure what happened and it's fixed itself now, but I definitely felt like I was there.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

actually, yes it is

Could you elaborate? Because to me that's the game just slapping you across the face.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

This is where I discovered that chests could break. It didn't react to the first hit, but I was so sure it had to be a mimic with a high pain tolerance.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Surely From Software wouldn't make a game where the very first chest you come across is a mimic?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Trapped chests are a good idea and they should have brought them back for Dark Souls 3 instead of removing them AND removing regular chests. Everything's just a mimic.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I wonder whose bright goddamn idea it was to tie the chest opening speed to stats

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This series always seems to have problems with hearing enemies through walls and thinking you're getting attacked. 3 is the worst though, I was convinced there was a horrible monster in the hub area the whole game, but it's just a lovely dog outside.

Also yikes you got caught in a nasty death spiral there. I think I did too the first playthrough, those guys are just a bit weird sometimes and it can really throw you off.

I hope one of you just told Geop about the secret in the ballista basement, because I'm hosed if I have any clue how you're supposed to work it out. It's great though, wish it wasn't a one-off.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

When he opened the chest I was like "NONONONO!!!"
Then I laughed.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Goonthur is all like:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

MGlBlaze posted:

Could you elaborate? Because to me that's the game just slapping you across the face.

You seem to think most of the things that the game does is slapping you across the face, so of course you'd have that perspective on it.

Sharing how much you think this game sucks is pretty tiring imo and you should stop doing it

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
If it were just about making it harder to grind for titanite/souls/other "GET HUGE" items, sure I guess. But adding extra steps when looking for fashion articles? That is definitely a major faux-pas. :v:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

actually, yes it is

You realize that if an enemy has a chance to drop an item, there are always going to be people who are going to try and farm whatever item that is, right? Trying to have random drops but also get rid of farming is like trying to have your cake and eat it too; you're just making the life of some of the playerbase much harder than others.

Either you put random drops in the game or you make it so that you don't need to farm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I forgot what surprise the chest had. :allears:

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think about half looks amazing and the other half looks really cartoony. Like, the firebombs are comically large and float through the air. Some of the colors are way oversaturated. But then there's other parts of the game that are amazingly atmospheric and I love them. It feels like two different lead artists worked on it.

That's perhaps the only thing that bothers me in this game is that the game's art direction is not as solid as the DS1, BB, or DS3's. While there are some neat designs here and there, some of the areas and bosses come off as being generic.

Whamukars fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 29, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

More thoughts on the forest of fallen giants being a tutorial area - but not to teach you about game mechanics, instead to teach you situational awareness and all about the different ways you can get hosed over by traps and ambushes. Note the three hollows right outside the shortcut: this one's there to make you pay attention to enemy cones of vision. The firebomb guy looks like an immediate threat but is actually only watching the rampart, so if you stay in the lowest area he (probably) won't aggro. Peek around the corner and you see two hollows, but don't assume the closest one will aggro first: he's watching the bottom of the stairs, whereas sword bastard is a little further away but looking right at you.

Immediately following that we get a narrow archway followed by the courtyard with two guys chilling in the middle of a bunch of gunpowder barrels trying to lure you in, which makes you learn the hard way about being aware of the limitations of your own cone of vision. And the other path has two rooms in a row where if you don't have a think about what you can see in the room before charging in (bunch of loving ballistas pointed at the doorway, suspicious chest in big room bereft of everything but bloodstains) you're going to have a bad time. Or at least: try luring it out, and then try rolling.

About game mechanics, though, the hollowing HP reduction is so much nastier at this stage in the game. Even though it's a percentage of max HP, it still feels like a bigger deal when your max HP is low even when human. Human effigies also feel like a rare resource early-game as well, even if they do tend to accumulate at a relatively generous rate. Come to think of it, it could just be a perception thing, like the size of the health bar messing with how things feel to me.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

Goonthur is all like:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You seem to think most of the things that the game does is slapping you across the face, so of course you'd have that perspective on it.

Sharing how much you think this game sucks is pretty tiring imo and you should stop doing it

Okay, noted. Though that didn't provide any elaboration on Arrhythmia's viewpoint whatsoever. :colbert:

Also I contend that I also share why I think the game sucks. "I think this is bad and here is why" provides a lot more to discuss than simply "This is bad" with no qualifying statements. Evidently that doesn't really change how you feel (And I'm sure at least one other person in this thread said they had a deep anger for this game too) but eeh, how you feel is how you feel.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 28, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

VerdantSquire posted:

You realize that if an enemy has a chance to drop an item, there are always going to be people who are going to try and farm whatever item that is, right? Trying to have random drops but also get rid of farming is like trying to have your cake and eat it too; you're just making the life of some of the playerbase much harder than others.

Either you put random drops in the game or you make it so that you don't need to farm.

No. Having methods to discourage farming is just that; methods to discourage that playstyle. The obsession over getting every possible item (even if some are absolutely worth making an effort to get) is irrelevant. The mechanic evidently is designed with intent to discourage farming.

Whether it is successful, effective, or needed is another matter.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

That is kind of the thing. Personally I feel like that particular "farm discouragement" method is none of those three things in addition to being pretty obnoxious. Not successful because it's treated as yet another hoop to jump through, not effective for the same reason, and not needed because item drop rates for certain things are already low and take time anyway. And it's primarily a PvE game with PvP elements in its own meta where not having access to stuff just kinda gets in the way of various playstyles. Especially for people who like to dabble in Fashion Souls.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 28, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Whamukars posted:

That's perhaps the only thing that bothers me in this game is that the game's art direction is not as solid as the DS1, BB, or DS3's. While there are some neat designs here and there, some it of the areas and bosses come off as being generic.
Yeah, if I had to choose one word to describe this game's art direction, it'd be "schizophrenic". I'll probably bitch about it a bit more when we reach the areas where it's more obvious.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, if I had to choose one word to describe this game's art direction, it'd be "schizophrenic". I'll probably bitch about it a bit more when we reach the areas where it's more obvious.

I actually hadn't thought of the art direction all that much. I do know a common point of criticism was many of the boss designs being generic, but outside of that I can't seem to grasp at anything else in particular other than some stuff I already said about Heide's Tower of Flame that we still need to go back to.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I forgot what surprise the chest had. :allears:
There are a few safe spots between bolts to dodge into, but actually doing so is a mite finicky. That said, once you've seen the effect once you know what to watch for the next time in order to lessen your damage taken.

On the topic of farming, I can only think of perhaps a few pieces of equipment that are actually onerous to farm in this game. But all of them show up in ways such that you won't even know they exist unless you've already heard about them or otherwise do something obscure, so it's basically a wash. (In fact Scholar shuffled around a few things such that many items which previously dropped at random now have guaranteed drops instead.)

Crazy Achmed posted:

More thoughts on the forest of fallen giants being a tutorial area - but not to teach you about game mechanics, instead to teach you situational awareness and all about the different ways you can get hosed over by traps and ambushes. Note the three hollows right outside the shortcut: this one's there to make you pay attention to enemy cones of vision. The firebomb guy looks like an immediate threat but is actually only watching the rampart, so if you stay in the lowest area he (probably) won't aggro. Peek around the corner and you see two hollows, but don't assume the closest one will aggro first: he's watching the bottom of the stairs, whereas sword bastard is a little further away but looking right at you.

Immediately following that we get a narrow archway followed by the courtyard with two guys chilling in the middle of a bunch of gunpowder barrels trying to lure you in, which makes you learn the hard way about being aware of the limitations of your own cone of vision. And the other path has two rooms in a row where if you don't have a think about what you can see in the room before charging in (bunch of loving ballistas pointed at the doorway, suspicious chest in big room bereft of everything but bloodstains) you're going to have a bad time. Or at least: try luring it out, and then try rolling.

About game mechanics, though, the hollowing HP reduction is so much nastier at this stage in the game. Even though it's a percentage of max HP, it still feels like a bigger deal when your max HP is low even when human. Human effigies also feel like a rare resource early-game as well, even if they do tend to accumulate at a relatively generous rate. Come to think of it, it could just be a perception thing, like the size of the health bar messing with how things feel to me.
This is a great analysis. The other thing that the ballista room reinforces is how to funnel. To his credit, Geop took out the three hollows by quickly beating them up in sequence. But many folks are not going to realize the immediacy of their situation, and will thus get beaten up by several jerks swinging bastard swords at once. (I know I did my first time.) Thus my preferred way to deal with those hollows is to use their own room against them, kiting them around the ballistae in order to limit them to a series of one-on-one fights.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Yep, dodging into the right spots to avoid the trap chest crossbow bolts is a bit of an iffy prospect. However, if you have a decent shield, you can just use your shield to take all of the bolts with no problem. :eng101:

You know, I was kinda indecisive about it before but the trapped chests are actually interesting. Chances are they'll kill you at least once in the process of learning they exist, but after that they do give you enough time after opening them to get out of dodge. Though actually figuring out how to deal with trapped chests is its own process that takes more or less time depending on the individual, which is fine.

As for the "funnelling" thing. I see what you mean but... honestly I feel like that ended up happening more because the enemy's pathing got confused more than actually being deliberately designed. It's kind of hard to tell at some points. But how they ended up coming out of that hole in the wall one at a time giving Geop enough time to deal with them before the next showed up ended up being rather convenient.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I feel like I've waited outside that room and either they funnel out or they just come all at once. It didn't feel like I was using the geometry, just that the AI accidentally screwed up.

• Locked thread