Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

I take issue with groups attacking other groups for political reasons. There are no attacks taking place there before the conflict. By all means, all individuals and groups must defend themselves.

What do you think nazis do when left unsupervised?

And what do you think using the police to fight nazis is?

Or the army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
OwlFancy is it your honest opinion that an antifa group is the only or best way to deal with nazis? Because that seems bizarre to me. The police should fight the nazis if they break the law. The army does not get involved.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

I take issue with groups attacking other groups for political reasons. There are no attacks taking place there before the conflict. By all means, all individuals and groups must defend themselves.

Do you not understand that antifa doesn't generally consist of "let's all go down and harass people to see if they voted Front Nationale," but mainly as counterformations to fash marches and demonstrations?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is doverhog honestly unable to comprehend the difference between how things should be and how things actually are or what?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

OwlFancy is it your honest opinion that an antifa group is the only or best way to deal with nazis? Because that seems bizarre to me. The police should fight the nazis if they break the law. The army does not get involved.

I've said plenty of times that my preferred way to deal with them would be to have a police force willing and able to do so, with the resources and commitment to upholding the public welfare in that manner.

As we do not have one of those, I would prefer antifash than intimidated, beaten, or dead minorities.

Once again, it is possible to support both a police response and antifa.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hey, I give my full blessing to counterformations. Just do not engage in violence. I mean loving Jesus i did not thinkg this would be so controversial. Do not engage in violence.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Hey, I give my full blessing to counterformations. Just do not engage in violence. I mean loving Jesus i did not thinkg this would be so controversial. Do not engage in violence.

Well, turns out Nazzies are prone to getting violent themselves!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

What do you do when the other side doesn't abide by that rule?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Hey doverhog, would you personally be willing to stand in front of a nazi mob marching down the street and remain non-violent even when they start grinding your face into the pavement? If not, why do you feel the moral right to demand this of others?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Then you defend yourselves. If that's what's going on, gz, you are in the clear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

Then you defend yourselves. If that's what's going on, gz, you are in the clear.

That is, generally, how antifash protests work, you realize?

Fash organize a march, antifash organize to show up and get in their way, fash and antifash start fighting each other instead of fash fighting anyone unfortunate enough to be in the area at the time, fash run away and hide in a bin, antifash get arrested, try and get each other home in one piece, go for a drink afterwards.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok? My argument was never about that, but rather about how political terrorism is not ok regardless of the side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've asked it a lot but you said you were fine with having an army.

How do you reconcile that with your dislike of "political terrorism"?

Certainly I can make a similar argument about the police but it's much easier with the army.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

An army mainly is there so it can interact with external actors if needed. Ideally all of earth would be one country, but as that's not the case, the army ensures that the political leadership of a country has machinery of violence to back up it's decisions. This is important, because political decisions without a gun or a sword to back them up mean nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

An army mainly is there so it can interact with external actors if needed. Ideally all of earth would be one country, but as that's not the case, the army ensures that the political leadership of a country has machinery of violence to back up it's decisions. This is important, because political decisions without a gun or a sword to back them up mean nothing.

So, essentially, you condone the use of violence collectively to enforce a political decision? Even in the face of democratic disagreement (we assume that other nations also have a democratic mandate for the actions of their military?)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's a big assumption to make, but anyway, a country can only follow it's own democratic decisions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

That's a big assumption to make, but anyway, a country can only follow it's own democratic decisions.

That's not very internationalist of you.

What, out of curiosity, gives a country a right of sovereignty but not any other group?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The weight of history, the fact that a country has people born in it who believe they are of the country. The fact that the country came in to being to reflect the reality of the people living in the area. The fact that citizens of that country probably fought wars for it, and their descendants remember that. You have a vote, does our country have this right? Does this other random group? No need to even have the vote everyone knows how that would turn out.

It's not internationalist, but that's a lost cause. It's trying to take a shortcut. It will never work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That seems like a kind of elaborate phrasing of the is-ought argument.

It is this way therefore it has moral authority and ought to be this way.

It also, frankly, places a great deal of faith in the democraticness of our current political system.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

It also, frankly, places a great deal of faith in the democraticness of our current political system.

Do you have an alternative? If you know how Sekhmet might instruct us, please share. Lacking that, we place our faith in systems we know are imperfect, and hope for the best.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

doverhog posted:

Anti-European Union I take it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doverhog posted:

Do you have an alternative? If you know how Sekhmet might instruct us, please share. Lacking that, we place our faith in systems we know are imperfect, and hope for the best.

Direct action where the state will not protect us, or when it acts to directly oppress us, in the name of justice and equal freedom for all people, not simply inertia of the status quo.

Liberal democracy has many benefits but it is not perfect, and should not be supported where it fails to serve. Sometimes there are clear, and better, actions that can be taken.

Such as, for example having no tolerance for nazis. Rather than shrugging and saying "welp guess we'll have to write "NO NAZIS" on the ballot next election and hope they get the message."

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 27, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Brainiac Five posted:

Do you not understand that antifa doesn't generally consist of "let's all go down and harass people to see if they voted Front Nationale," but mainly as counterformations to fash marches and demonstrations?

Yeah the closest most antifa participants get to hurting a fascist is shooting them in Call of Duty or whatever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So the big takeaway here is that fascists are bad, we should round all them up and exterminate them. Also exterminate this topic.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

So the big takeaway here is that fascists are bad, we should round all them up and exterminate them. Also exterminate this topic.

Why exactly does your postcount in this thread give you the ability to dictate the course of it? Or is it some other factor that makes "Also exterminate this topic." anything more than puling and whining?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad we had this talk about how street violence is bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brainiac Five posted:

Why exactly does your postcount in this thread give you the ability to dictate the course of it? Or is it some other factor that makes "Also exterminate this topic." anything more than puling and whining?

The other factor is that this tangent is boring.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Third one is forums poster bRianiac five being an insuffrable twat who should quit posting forever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Feel free to contribute an alternative topic.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Humour posted:

Third one is forums poster bRianiac five being an insuffrable twat who should quit posting forever.

PM me and I'll provide you with the means to ensure this... if you dare.

Cat Mattress posted:

The Germans and Austrians posting about how much suffering they inflict on humanity is an exhausting thing to read, but you don't see me whining like a tiny little baby about it.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
What is this thread for actually? The nazi Austria?

E: Austrian* 😂

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 28, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
this thread is now about hot pics of CGT leader Philippe Martinez, who is cool and good

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

ElNarez posted:

this thread is now about hot pics of CGT leader Philippe Martinez, who is cool and good

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OwlFancier posted:

Direct action where the state will not protect us, or when it acts to directly oppress us, in the name of justice and equal freedom for all people, not simply inertia of the status quo.

Liberal democracy has many benefits but it is not perfect, and should not be supported where it fails to serve. Sometimes there are clear, and better, actions that can be taken.

Such as, for example having no tolerance for nazis. Rather than shrugging and saying "welp guess we'll have to write "NO NAZIS" on the ballot next election and hope they get the message."

Justice isn't doled out by the mob or by any self-righteous sub-section of the mob, so when the state isn't doing its duty to protect the people, you go protest against the state instead of cackling with glee at the opportunity to finally live the dream (of a mad max world with extra frontier justice).

Y'all antifa are trash only half a step above the actual fash so I hope you're second up against the wall in line for a cell when we get this police thing fixed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

Justice isn't doled out by the mob or by any self-righteous sub-section of the mob, so when the state isn't doing its duty to protect the people, you go protest against the state instead of cackling with glee at the opportunity to finally live the dream (of a mad max world with extra frontier justice).

Y'all antifa are trash only half a step above the actual fash so I hope you're second up against the wall in line for a cell when we get this police thing fixed.

Yo... you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Yo... you have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

hes of course speaking of an ought, the platonic ideal of what ordered societies try to be. reality is different

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This reality doesn't seem rational enough. Clearly, it does not exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what if the people who fought the nazis were the real nazis??!?!

makes u thingk

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
John Stalvern waited. The streetlights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were fascists in the city. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was an antifash for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the riots and he said to dad "I want to be on the riots daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY THE MAN"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the alleyway streets of the city he knew there were fascists.
"This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the fascists!"
So John gotted his motolov cocktail and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the fascists "I will shoot at him" said the gang leader and he fired the tacticlol guns. John molotoved at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the fascists" he shouted The radio said "No, John. You are the fascists"
And then John was a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what's the status of the Ukraine visa agreement? All I can find is months old and no indication where it is in the pipeline.