Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Aren't the Witcher games significantly different from the books? As in, the protagonist in the Witcher books is actually Ciri but in the games they focus on Geralt.

Ciri might have her own books, but no. Geralt is the main character.

The main difference is really that the original writer takes no part in the games. The games start after the books end. And Ciri is pretty much the main character in W3, you're just a dad looking for and helping your daughter out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MK is trash please edit your post so it doesn't discourage people from playing a better game that is actually extremely accessible and fun at all skill levels.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mistle posted:

I'm iffy about the business design, but overall, I approve this concept. On one hand, they can expand the game beyond the initial intended collection of maps should it be a game with enough attention, the episodic release means they have consistent work at the studio instead of a cycle of crunch and rest, and since the team is in constant contact with the game and its assets, they get familiar with it, they get to know other departments, and I think most importantly, the design of the game is consistent even if some key members come and go, because the level-to-level transition would be gradual enough and the engine is more or less done.

It's the game system and instead of fan-made maps, it's the devs themselves.

Lastly, if the game hits the tipping point and making maps becomes untenable, or they move to develop a new game altogether, they not only have a pool of strong and up-to-date talent, but they also can then shutter the post-release DLC map making.

Robust mechanics system, diverse location, wide array of interaction vectors(weapons, people, tasks, etc.) the game is one of the few that had the capacity to go episodic and work.

If you haven't played 3 yet, you are in for such a good experience.

I'd give it to DOOM, as it not only defied an utter fumble party of games reviewers, but it turned out to be just what the fans wanted, and then some.

And a shout out the the FirstAidKite, may your birthday be games and merriment :cheers:

Yeah, I just feel Hitman was already 90% made and then decided to be chopped up into episodes which is a bad idea. Just plan from the start to make it episodic and work around that sort of focus, rather than just doing the former.

Nasgate posted:

Ciri might have her own books, but no. Geralt is the main character.

The main difference is really that the original writer takes no part in the games. The games start after the books end. And Ciri is pretty much the main character in W3, you're just a dad looking for and helping your daughter out.

Gotcha. I really liked the story in Witcher 3 and to be honest would love for Ciri to get her own game. She's a pretty sweet character to play as and her sections were pretty awesome overall.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I bought the digital version of Witcher 3 with the Expac pass, so I'm assuming the expansion content is basically already in the game. I don't know how to confirm this, and I don't wanna go to the wiki and get spoiled. Where does the Hearts of Stone content kick off at, without spoiling much? I'm in Velen right now, for reference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I bought the digital version of Witcher 3 with the Expac pass, so I'm assuming the expansion content is basically already in the game. I don't know how to confirm this, and I don't wanna go to the wiki and get spoiled. Where does the Hearts of Stone content kick off at, without spoiling much? I'm in Velen right now, for reference.

You should already have the quest telling you what to do/where to go in your journal if it's installed. You probably want to be level 30-ish before you do it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mistle posted:

I'd give it to DOOM, as it not only defied an utter fumble party of games reviewers, but it turned out to be just what the fans wanted, and then some.

But DOOM got good reviews and it was the fans who were convinced that it was going to be garbage before it came out...?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think he's referring to how the primary debut footage was of the multiplayer. However, instead of waiting for the singleplayer footage that did eventually show up people flipped the hell out, so that's still sort of on the fans too lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 27, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG854AzOHqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKkn6wwsDM

Mordja posted:

Isn't Under Night In-Birth supposed to be coming to Steam in June, too?
So is that the game that's going to take the "dumbest name on steam" crown from root days after crime or whatever it was?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

I think he's referring to how the primary debut footage was of the multiplayer. However, instead of waiting for the singleplayer footage that did eventually show up people flipped the hell, out so that's still sort of on the fans too lol

Lol @ fans judging a product based on everything shown to them to sell that product

They should have psychically known that it wasn't indicative

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Retard 4 is the new Duke's Bros only in reverse. At least this time people are admitting they were wrong instead of deleting the entire thread to hide their shame.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

Lol @ fans judging a product based on everything shown to them to sell that product

They should have psychically known that it wasn't indicative

If you really want to play that card, what's the harm in waiting until you've seen what the singleplayer even looks like before passing judgement and crying about it? Because there was a lot of that in the Do4m thread.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Guy Mann posted:

Retard 4 is the new Duke's Bros only in reverse. At least this time people are admitting they were wrong instead of deleting the entire thread to hide their shame.

Can someone explain the Retard # thing

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Approaching a reboot of a decades-old franchise with extreme skepticism is generally the correct move, and I'm glad DO4M is an exception

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Nerds on the internet are very stupid. I'm not sure there is any other explanation. It's offensive, dumb, petty, and I don't think there's any defense of it that makes a lick of sense.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

bloodychill posted:

I thought that was just what bbg was calling it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Ok that makes sense.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't rly care about the specifics of Doom 4's previews or w/e, but the attitude the dude is talking about is just exhausting

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

Nerds on the internet are very stupid. I'm not sure there is any other explanation. It's offensive, dumb, petty, and I don't think there's any defense of it that makes a lick of sense.

Actually it's called R4tard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There was a lot of hubbub about Tracer's butt in Overwatch but after scientifically examining the facts post-release, I have determined that Genji's butt is a lot more fierce.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

There was a lot of hubbub about Tracer's butt in Overwatch but after scientifically examining the facts post-release, I have determined that Genji's butt is a lot more fierce.

Zarya's biceps are where it's at.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

I'm compelled to ask, what attributes determine a butt's level of ferocity?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Real hurthling! posted:

MK is trash please edit your post so it doesn't discourage people from playing a better game that is actually extremely accessible and fun at all skill levels.

You mean like Street Fighter V???

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bloodychill posted:

My man, have you played Reinhardt

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, I just feel Hitman was already 90% made and then decided to be chopped up into episodes which is a bad idea. Just plan from the start to make it episodic and work around that sort of focus, rather than just doing the former.

Uhhhh what? What are you basing this on? You're completely wrong. Its not 90% done. The only part that's done is already playable. Its like Early Access if you want to look at it that way. :confused:

bloodychill posted:

Black Baby Goku tried REALLY hard to troll the Doom thread, over and over and over until he got probated for it and a mod changed his name to it, and finally it just become a thread in-joke.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Hitman formula also works way, way better as individual episodes instead of making it level-progression-based like Absolution did so even if they did do that I don't know if that's a bad thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

The Hitman formula also works way, way better as individual episodes instead of making it level-progression-based like Absolution did so even if they did do that I don't know if that's a bad thing.

Yeah it actually works really well, I have a few friends who expressed the same "episodic is dumb!! :argh: " viewpoint, and after I sat them down and was like "how is this bad? Its like early access?" they didn't really have anything to say about it.

I can understand being afraid of DLC and monetization and stuff, but really, it fits Hitman pretty well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Black Baby Goku tried REALLY hard to troll the Doom thread, over and over and over until he got probated for it and a mod changed his name to it, and finally it just become a thread in-joke.
BBG likes Doom now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

BBG likes Doom now.

Feel goon story of the summer

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My Feel Goon Story of the Summer is that yesterday when I went to dinner, some kid prolly 11 or 12 was happily telling a friendly waiter about Life is Strange.

Young people who are genuinely enthusiastic about a thing are cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You mean like Street Fighter V???

Sfv is also trash but in a different more spectacular way.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yo, people playing Overwatch and feeling like they can't play with friends: what are you playing on? There's a PS4 community Goonerwatch where you can find parties, and if you post your tags then more people will be able to play with you. You are literally saying I have no one to play this game with to a room of people willing to play with you.

I'm lukewarm on the TMNT game but I'll probably grab it on a sale. The idea of playing it with friends sours when each friend has to buy a copy at full price. RIP couch co-op.

Also the second Dungeons and Dragons arcade game was the best beat em up, hands down end of discussion. It's laughable that you think Turtles in Time comes close, but some people think steaks should be cooked until they are grey so broken brains exist and would explain your opinion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

GG Xrd is great but for first time fighting game players I wouldn't recommend it. There's so many deep mechanics like different color roman cancels, and each character is practically a whole other fighting game. Plus the slick 2D/3D animation looks fantastic but at least for me, can make it kinda hard to tell exactly where hitboxes are.

MK XL on the other hand I think is the ideal newbie fighting game. Its real easy to understand, there's some decent depth to the mechanics but you can learn them very fast compared to GGXrd, the hitboxes feel more natural and the animations are fantastic. The move sets give you some good variety and the DLC added a ton of great characters. Its not quite as amazing as GGXrd overall for hardcore pros, but for casual or new fighting game fans its pretty ideal.

I still would say Xrd because of the tutorials (especially with the new stylish mode to ease in new players) and that it's a much much better game than MKX

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm compelled to ask, what attributes determine a butt's level of ferocity?

How agape is your mouth when watching said butt in motion?

Dr Cheeto posted:

My man, have you played Reinhardt

I haven't played him much yet but something tells me you're onto something.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Now that every major gaming platform has a screencap feature would a thread for funny/bad/good screencaps be a good idea or is that more of a PYF thing?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I played PS4 Overwatch with goons earlier and I had a lot of fun

I was adamsolo3000 for those who were there

I wish you could change your name. I'd pay for that

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Now that every major gaming platform has a screencap feature would a thread for funny/bad/good screencaps be a good idea or is that more of a PYF thing?

make it for videos too and you've got a good idea. both consoles can upload to YouTube iirc

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

setafd posted:

I played PS4 Overwatch with goons earlier and I had a lot of fun

I was adamsolo3000 for those who were there

I wish you could change your name. I'd pay for that

You were fun to play with. Being able to change your username would be nice.

Guy Mann posted:

Sounds like a games thing to me. Also sounds like a thread that would take off and be great and eventually turn into a shitstorm, as per usual.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how PSN parties and Overwatch groups interact.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I don't understand how PSN parties and Overwatch groups interact.

party chat overrides game chat usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, but for some reason I thought that there would be the ability to import your party to a group in the game. Like how steam works. I don't know. I thought that rainbow 6 siege worked that way, but I am probably confused.

• Locked thread