Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played RF1024, but don't expect Going Down or Ancient Aliens to be less intense on UV than Plutonia... Kind of the opposite in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You definitely want to lower the difficulty with Going Down and Ancient Aliens.

Speaking of Doom megawads, I started playing A.L.T., and I'm really liking it. It's really unique and stands out from the typical Doom craft. There's an article on Unwinnable about this mapset, and if anyone is interested in something different, heartily reccomending this. KMX E XII also reviewed this megawad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2T0wawL2I

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I really like the monster density I typically see in Ultra-Violence, but dear god I can't manage ammunition to save my life. :negative:

Heck, I'm playing DUMP2 in HMP and even there lack of ammo is my main complication.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

Speaking of Doom megawads, I started playing A.L.T., and I'm really liking it.

ALT is cool. Fascinating mix of realistic and surreal scenarios. It definitely doesn't ahere to the usual rules of Doom mapping, and that's great. Not the most refined and polished maps, but some of the most creative.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I really need to finish my Plutonia run I started last summer. I remember Go 2 It being a lot more fun than I expected, maybe I should get into slaughtermaps.

I've recently been playing Demonfear for the first time. It's pretty easy 80% of the time so far, but it's really quick and to the point. I really like it, reminds me of the good parts of Scythe.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of, what the hell do I do in map 24 after going down the waterfall and hitting the nearby switch? Opening it up in GZDoom Builder shows it frees a voodoo doll off screen that conveys down a corridor to a dead-end but that doesn't much help me at all.

God dammit this is driving me nuts :argh:

On closer inspection it seems to raise one of those teleport ring structures (can be seen hanging from the sky behind the switch) but hell if I loving know what to do with it :psyduck:

Nevermind I am an idiot and it took me like three hours to find the switch near the red door :downs:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 27, 2016

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've gone through the first episode of Heretic and my thoughts overall are kind of meh. It's not bad really, but there's just something about it which I don't like. Could be the environments, which sometimes make doors and switches just kind of blend into the scenery or it could be that weapons feel really weak unless you use a Tome of Power. I played on the second hardest difficulty, assuming it was the Ultra-Violence equivalent from Doom but enemies seem to take a few too many hits to kill unless you use a Tome of Power and there's a lot of them and I'm one of those people who hoards items just in case I really need it for a future encounter which never comes. The thing is, I know the weapons act pretty much like Doom's weapons but they just don't feel as satisfying to use.

Do future episodes pick up and get better? Should I lower the difficulty if I feel that enemies are bullet sponges and weapons feel weak? Or am I just playing it wrong somehow?

Use Tomes of Power

They give you so many, just keep using them. Also the weapons you get in the later episodes help a bunch; well, two of them, at least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love the level design of Heretic, but compared to Doom and whatnot the combat doesn't do much for me. I found what worked for me is to play it kind of "speedrun light" style, just running past maybe half the enemies while I try to find keys etc. Kind of worked for me.

That gun mod Guncaster also might be a fun way to speed up Heretic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Heretic weapons, when non-powered:

The staff is a boring fist. Can't hurt ghosts with it. If you're out of ammo, don't have the gauntlets, and are facing ghost monsters, you're poo poo out of luck.
The gauntlets of the necromancer are really cool. You're like the Emperor from Star Wars, shooting lighting from your fingertips, how cool is that? Technically it's just like the chainsaw and it will affect ghost monsters.
The gold wand is transparently a pistol; however it has a faster rate of fire and a slightly greater average damage. Also it has a separate ammo pool from the chaingun replacement, so it doesn't become entirely obsolete, though it remains weak. Can be used for sniping and it does affect ghost monsters, but it's tedious to kill anything with it.
The crossbow is the shotgun replacement, but it fires three projectiles instead of seven hitscan traces; which definitely makes it less powerful. Each shotgun pellet deals 5d3 damage, the crossbow has one main projectile that deals 10d8 damage and two secondary projectiles that deal 2d8 damage. The side projectiles go through ghost monsters.
The dragon claw has a slower rate of fire than the chaingun, but it deals quite a bit more damage with each shot, so in terms of DPS it actually has an advantage over its Doom counterpart.
The phoenix rod and the rocket launcher are basically perfect clones. Same rate of fire, and their projectiles have the same speed and deal the same damage. Only difference is that the phoenix rod pushes you backward a bit. Note that these projectiles will go through ghost monsters, but you can still hurt them with the blast damage if you aim at their feet, or a nearby wall or object (such as a non-ghost monster).
The hellstaff is the plasma rifle counterpart, but it's quite a bit weaker. The rate of fire is slightly slower (one projectile every four tics instead of every three tics) and the projectiles are slower (22 instead of 25) and deal less damage (3d8 instead of 5d8).
The firemace doesn't even deserve to be compared to the BFG. Its only saving grace is that it can be a backup rapid-fire weapons for when you're out of runes and orbs. Really, it's not that bad a weapon, but it's not an ultimate and it cannot be said to be strong enough to deserve the weird special coding it got. Projectiles go through ghosts, too.

Heretic weapons, when powered:
The staff is okay, but still boring. Despite the blue magical aura, it still can't hurt ghosts. Also, it just deals more damage than normal, that's all. It's not even really that much more damage, you can't compare it to the berserk. Boring.
The gauntlets become truly badass: you're now a vampire! You can take down even iron liches or maulotaurs just with powered gauntlets, hug them close and drain them of their lifeforce faster than they can drain you or yours! They'll die and you'll live with 100% health.
The wand changes from one hitscan puff to five hitscans and two projectiles. It's actually a pretty decent weapon when tomed up, it can kill even big monsters faster than you'd think it would.
The crossbow's behavior doesn't change much. The main projectile is replaced by three projectiles that deal 6d8 damage each. The two small projectiles on the side are still there. Overall not that much of an upgrade, really.
The dragon claw once tomed replaces its hitscan attack for very fast projectiles that will, on impact, spawn big spiky balls that rip through your enemies. Really great for dense crowds; but in most Heretic levels, the rippers end up not really touching anyone.
The phoenix rod becomes a flamethrower. Instead of keeping your distances to avoid blast damage, you've got to get up in the face of your enemies. Keep holding fire if you don't want to waste your precious few ammunition. The extremely fast rapid fire is great for stunlocking. Also, contrarily to the non-tomed projectiles, this stream of flames can hurt ghosts.
The powered hellstaff makes it rain death upon your enemies. Always a crowd pleaser, but not very appropriate for large spaces where monsters can roam freely: you want to use it on chokehold and stranded monsters. Two projectiles are enough to kill an iron lich.
The tomed mace just fires humongous balls that will insta-kill any non-boss enemy. It's actually useful for tough customers such as ophidians and weredragons.

In addition to weapons and tomes, learn to use time bombs. They're great for crowds and they can damage ghost monsters. You're usually given tons of them in a map. Use them. Use them a lot. Don't blow yourself up, though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Heretic bothers me because you can only take one of each item with you when you exit the level. I want to stockpile tomes of power goddamnit :bahgawd:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Heretic bothers me because you can only take one of each item with you when you exit the level. I want to stockpile tomes of power goddamnit :bahgawd:
On the other hand, it's very good incentive to use any spares you have.

Not so much good incentive to use all the items, though, old habits die hard there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually like that decision, because it keeps people from stockpiling a million things and turning the lategame into a cakewalk. that and it encourages you to actually use the things and have fun with them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

I love the level design of Heretic, but compared to Doom and whatnot the combat doesn't do much for me.

Speaking of level design in Heretic, I've said it before, but my all-time favourite old school fps map is the town-like level, I think it's e1m5, where there's a river separating two sections. It's been forever since I've played it, but that one area, to me, just kicks the crap out of any Doom 1-2 level I've played.

It even beats out the Hollywood Holocaust and Red Light District from Duke, for me. Just so nice and faux open-world. :allears:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Beat Episode 2 of Heretic. I'm liking it a lot better now. I still wouldn't say it's a fantastic game like Doom is, but it's fun. I think being more liberal with the use of items as was advised in this thread as well as just probably being in a better mood than I was earlier probably helped. It's just a very different kind of game than say, Plutonia was. I'm still riding off the highs of that and though I played Chex Quest inbetween Plutonia and Heretic, that was short and charming enough that the bigger focus on exploration over constant action didn't really bother me much.

What the hell is with the firemace though? It's got to be one of the crappiest "final" weapons I've seen in an FPS. I know a Tome of Power can make it OHKO everything except bosses but the projectiles are short range and move slowly and given you're usually fighting a ton of aerial gargoyles, it's kind of situational at best.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

This is true, though I wish it were longer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What the hell is with the firemace though? It's got to be one of the crappiest "final" weapons I've seen in an FPS. I know a Tome of Power can make it OHKO everything except bosses but the projectiles are short range and move slowly and given you're usually fighting a ton of aerial gargoyles, it's kind of situational at best.

I haven't played Heretic far enough to get it, but if it behaves the same way as in Reelism and you get enough ammo for it, the trick is spamming mace orbs everywhere.

Marimbal
Nov 16, 2012

laserghost posted:

A few days ago, full OST of Ancient Aliens was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4fwFMWzeo

e: is it just me or this one sounds quite similar to Spirit of the Night from Secret of Mana?

Forgot I made an account here ages ago (stewboy here). Thanks for the mention! I hadn't actually heard the Secret of Mana soundtrack but now that you post it I can hear some similarities to my style. I did consciously try to write music that (a lot of which) was kind of more chill than what often tends to be used in Doom, just because I write what I like to listen to and that's what I like to listen to!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I decided to try out TNT, right. I feel like I'm expending a lot more ammo than I need to. Or is that the general idea, even in level 1?

Also I need to configure some graphics options, I feel. But not like that one video, just enough for a good Doomy time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gonna start work on my next level tonight or something and I have a question pertaining to the stuff about map formats that was being talked about a while back: I've been using the standard Doom ones so far, but what's the next step up? As a novice, what map format should I go to next that is more complex than the default Doom/2 ones but won't overload me with a million new configurable things?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CJacobs posted:

I've been using the standard Doom ones so far, but what's the next step up?
The next "step up" would be the Boom format, which is basically Doom with generalized triggers and scrolling floors. Putting a voodoo doll on a scrolling floor somewhere and having it trigger lines is the normal way of doing pseudo scripting nowadays.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

widespread posted:

So I decided to try out TNT, right. I feel like I'm expending a lot more ammo than I need to. Or is that the general idea, even in level 1?

In the first level, you should be punching everything to death. Rip and tear!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Does anyone else have a problem with gzDoom and Project Brutality where the minimized HUD won't show ammo for all weapon types? I can't convince it to show me my shells or rockets.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with gzDoom and Project Brutality where the minimized HUD won't show ammo for all weapon types? I can't convince it to show me my shells or rockets.
Minimized HUD does not play nicely with Project Brutality. There should be a HUDs folder in the Project Brutality folder. Use WOS if you have a sort of dinky computer and/or prefer more of a classic doom HUD look. Otherwise use UDV and customize it to your heart's content.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Thanks! The WOS HUD is pretty nice.

Also, if anyone else was having stutter problems with a newer Realtek laptop card, try disabling the Dolby support on it. I'm 99% sure that's what was causing my stutter when loading sound effects.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone know if the Shadow Warrior unreleased mod Deadly Kiss is still being worked on? Or is it officially vaporware?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

So I may have broken something.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Marimbal posted:

Forgot I made an account here ages ago (stewboy here). Thanks for the mention! I hadn't actually heard the Secret of Mana soundtrack but now that you post it I can hear some similarities to my style. I did consciously try to write music that (a lot of which) was kind of more chill than what often tends to be used in Doom, just because I write what I like to listen to and that's what I like to listen to!

Oh, hi there :) excellent work, I'm huge sucker for good ol' opl midi, and the symphonic new age is a super refreshing take on Doom level music. Have you made any more music for Doom maps?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

So I may have broken something.

No I think you got it exactly right for that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Just don't think of it as a final weapon, think of it as a bonus weapon. The firemace has three big disadvantages:
- projectiles pass through ghosts, so you can't hurt ghost knights or mummies
- projectiles stay close to the ground, so you can't hurt gargoyles except point blank
- projectiles disappear when they bounce on water/sludge/lava, so you can't use it except point blank in areas with non-solid terrain

Other than that, the damage output is okay for a Heretic weapon and it's rapid fire so you can stunlock enemies.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

Oh, hi there :) excellent work, I'm huge sucker for good ol' opl midi, and the symphonic new age is a super refreshing take on Doom level music. Have you made any more music for Doom maps?
Tons, in fact - you might find Speed of Doom's soundtrack up your alley if you liked Ancient Aliens's.

Of course, stewboy didn't compose all of that soundtrack like he did AA - Jimmy helped, and there's definitely some Heretic music in there - but he did a fair bit of it.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 28, 2016

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I actually like Heretic a whole lot, its not as great of a game as Doom, that's for sure, but me and sister probably played the shareware version more than Doom on our family's packard bell so there's a lot of nostalgia attachement. I like the 80s AD&D art style a lot and thematically I think the weapons are cool. My big beef with the game coming from Doom is that the sound department is a bit lacking which can be a big detriment to my playstyle. Like, if I'm in Doom I think its easier to know when a projectile is coming your way or an enemy is behind you but in Heretic monsters sneak up on me more and the projectiles are very..quiet?

I think the item system is really cool, I never used any of the items when I was 9 so it feels refreshing to bother using tomes of power and flasks.

I always liked little touches the game had though, like the Nazgul style whispering the wizard enemies do and when you kill a golem/mummy the way spirits rise from their corpse when you kill them feels satisfying.

Never got far into Hexen, I was planning to do a video playthrough of it one day but it sucks to hear that the actual game isn't that good. I remember looking at previews of it in magazines and thinking it looked so awesome.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I actually like Heretic a whole lot, its not as great of a game as Doom, that's for sure, but me and sister probably played the shareware version more than Doom on our family's packard bell so there's a lot of nostalgia attachement. I like the 80s AD&D art style a lot and thematically I think the weapons are cool. My big beef with the game coming from Doom is that the sound department is a bit lacking which can be a big detriment to my playstyle. Like, if I'm in Doom I think its easier to know when a projectile is coming your way or an enemy is behind you but in Heretic monsters sneak up on me more and the projectiles are very..quiet?

I don't get this. The axes go shup-shup-shup, the fireheads scream constantly.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Never got far into Hexen, I was planning to do a video playthrough of it one day but it sucks to hear that the actual game isn't that good. I remember looking at previews of it in magazines and thinking it looked so awesome.

Hexen is a good game if you enjoy exploration and puzzle solving, because it's really built on that. The combat is subpar. It's more a dungeoncrawl in a Doom engine than a real FPS; so if what you want is an FPS you'll be disappointed. If you're the kind of player who looks at the automap frequently to find out which areas haven't been explored yet, and who refuses to leave a level if 100% secrets haven't been found yet, then Hexen shouldn't bother you too much. The introduction map should give you a taste: you've got to break a stained glass window (one among over a dozen) to find a hidden tunnel, it's a necessary step. In a normal shooter design, it'd be an optional secret.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

widespread posted:

Also I need to configure some graphics options, I feel. But not like that one video, just enough for a good Doomy time.

TNT tends to favor enclosed spaces and interiors over Plutonia's wide open spaces and exteriors, so feel free to chainsaw things to save ammo and to take advantage of infighting. TNT's most focused on exploration and puzzles than Plutonia too, which in later levels gets to some obscure levels which is why overall I don't like it as much as Plutonia.

Cat Mattress posted:

Just don't think of it as a final weapon, think of it as a bonus weapon. The firemace has three big disadvantages:
- projectiles pass through ghosts, so you can't hurt ghost knights or mummies
- projectiles stay close to the ground, so you can't hurt gargoyles except point blank
- projectiles disappear when they bounce on water/sludge/lava, so you can't use it except point blank in areas with non-solid terrain

Other than that, the damage output is okay for a Heretic weapon and it's rapid fire so you can stunlock enemies.

The thing is, the firemace doesn't really do anything that other weapons can do better outside of the OHKO Tome of Power version. You've already got rapid fire weapons and can stunlock enemies and it doesn't have the limitations of the firemace.

Cat Mattress posted:

Hexen is a good game if you enjoy exploration and puzzle solving, because it's really built on that. The combat is subpar. It's more a dungeoncrawl in a Doom engine than a real FPS; so if what you want is an FPS you'll be disappointed. If you're the kind of player who looks at the automap frequently to find out which areas haven't been explored yet, and who refuses to leave a level if 100% secrets haven't been found yet, then Hexen shouldn't bother you too much. The introduction map should give you a taste: you've got to break a stained glass window (one among over a dozen) to find a hidden tunnel, it's a necessary step. In a normal shooter design, it'd be an optional secret.

Does Hexen at least give you any clue that you need to do that? It's honestly sounding like the worst of Doom II maps, last third of TNT or most of the Master Level maps in that mandatory steps are hidden by some obscure bullshit. I don't mind things like that if there's enough hints in the environment to suggest it, like a slightly off-color wall or weird lighting or textures, but if it's just an ordinary looking stained glass window that's completely unremarkable from the rest then I can already tell I'm going to hate Hexen. And I'll still play it anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The thing is, the firemace doesn't really do anything that other weapons can do better outside of the OHKO Tome of Power version. You've already got rapid fire weapons and can stunlock enemies and it doesn't have the limitations of the firemace.
Yeah. As I said earlier, it's a backup weapon for when you run out of orbs and runes.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Does Hexen at least give you any clue that you need to do that?
Nope. In Hexen's defense, the ability to destroy parts of the environment was kind of a novelty, so it was a given that any player would smash every window just because it's possible now, wow, so cool! And to be fair, you do get little bonus items (or, sometimes, a monster) behind the other windows in that level, so if you break one that gives you an incentive to break the others.

But if you're not a completionist, you'll find Hexen frustrating.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, we all know that Doom has a shitton of randomness to it, especially weapon damage rolls. I just realized that Beautiful Doom handily externalizes all the weapon info, so that I can pop this open in Slade and make a version with normalized damage on just about everything.

Anyone interested in trying MeanDoom once I'm done?

Edit: Bah, looks like not everything is easily externalized. Anyone better at this want to try?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 28, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
nah, Im more interested in modedoom.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Coffee Break Episode 2 is in progress. More new enemies, 3D sprites that look and behave like Doom midtextures, and more. Expect a release in the next few weeks!

E2M1: Return to Groverhaus

E2M2: An Adept Arranging for Mother

E2M3: A Yoke of Boxen

E2M4: Inherited Bowel Levitation

E2M5: Grosse Indecency

E2M8: Acid Trip in Legoland

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Guess what got a hi-res update a few days ago!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

And a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ylb9rRbEYo