Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You know what isn't a negative trait in the battle report? A shock attack :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm actually happy to just block up the hex. While I'm there, no one else is getting supplies or replacements.

China could well be in the bag.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

China will be won by Christmas!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm actually happy to just block up the hex. While I'm there, no one else is getting supplies or replacements.

China could well be in the bag.

I think you're achieving such success with China that you should start planning for the future. Even with all the bungling in the world I don't see how Chungking cut off from the Burma Road and invested by an 80,000 strong army is going to turn this around. Just do us a favor and only bombard or defend until you get the leaders, supplies, fatigue and disruption under control, kay?

But with China defeated, where will all these freed up crack troops go? India? Russia?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I have a feeling we're getting ahead of ourselves here. It's entirely possible that the Burma advance doesn't get as far as we hope, or that the Burma Road doesn't stay cut off for as long as we'd like. Then again, I guess that would be a thing if Grey were playing against a human -- I don't think the AI is smart (or daring) enough to consolidate and counterattack in mid-1942.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

TildeATH posted:

But with China defeated, where will all these freed up crack troops go? India? Russia?

San Francisco.:getin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Natty Ninefingers posted:

This is perfectly in line with history imo. Everyone took the wrong lesson from Port Arthur, and the Japanese never had WW1 to teach them otherwise

The Japanese had observers in all the major battles of the WWI, and their WWII doctirne was a development of their WWI experience. It just so happened that they focused on different aspects of the WWI experience than, say, France.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Oh, it is actually the Yangtze? Yeah then, my plan is even more likely to work. Strap a load of floats to the Yamato until she sits high in the water and sail her up there too.

I think it could work.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

I think you're achieving such success with China that you should start planning for the future. Even with all the bungling in the world I don't see how Chungking cut off from the Burma Road and invested by an 80,000 strong army is going to turn this around. Just do us a favor and only bombard or defend until you get the leaders, supplies, fatigue and disruption under control, kay?

Instead of killing his army at Chungking, Grey could have used those divisions to conquer half the world - New Guinea, Australia, Ceylon, the entire Irrawaddy valley, parts of the Indian Bengal,,, Unfortuantely Grey decided to kill those troops instead in exchange for nothing at all.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The Japanese had observers in all the major battles of the WWI, and their WWII doctirne was a development of their WWI experience. It just so happened that they focused on different aspects of the WWI experience than, say, France.

How does that even work?

"So, you guys are storming Verdun? Mind if we ... waaatch?" :wiggle:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Instead of killing his army at Chungking, Grey could have used those divisions to conquer half the world - New Guinea, Australia, Ceylon, the entire Irrawaddy valley, parts of the Indian Bengal,,, Unfortuantely Grey decided to kill those troops instead in exchange for nothing at all.

Right, like Grey would have wanted to conquer a bunch of savages instead of what everyone agrees is defiantly the greatest civilization in the history of the world.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jonny Nox posted:

How does that even work?

"So, you guys are storming Verdun? Mind if we ... waaatch?" :wiggle:

Well, yes, in a way. Pictured: Japanese soldiers wearing French uniform, observing a Western front battlefield.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Got any sources? Sounds like an interesting story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bold Robot posted:

I mean, this happened with every major war in modern history. There were extensive European observers watching the Civil War, for instance.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
How the hell do you think people like us scratched their itch before the invention of strategy games and LPs? Chess is only gonna take it so far.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Bold Robot posted:

Japan was officially a part of the Entente during the first World War. After running over the German colonies in the Pacific, and fighting a relatively short siege at Qingdao, Japan was essentially at peacetime after Winter 1914, until the start of the Russian Revolution (where it occupied large parts of the Russian Far East). They also bullied the newly minted Republic of China, severely damaging the internal credibility of Yuan Shikai, but, beyond that foreshadowing of things to come, Japan really didn't contribute to WW1, though part of their Navy served in operational capacities with the Royal Navy in unimportant wartime stations (like Cape Town).

Fun story though: The POWs from the Qingdao siege ended up being interned in Japan. There, they formed an orchestra in the camp, which introduced the symphony to the Japanese (yes, Germans are at least partly responsible for Final Fantasy music). Their stay was extraordinarily pleasant, so much so that about 60 of the POWs elected to stay in Japan after the war.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 28, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Just shell the rapids until they're wider and less rapid. It's a self solving problem.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

That's like a thousand kilometres upstream. Getting small vessels up to Chungking would be possible, I'd think. The small interwar destroyers would probably be the biggest ships that could be managed though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

team overhead smash posted:

That's like a thousand kilometres upstream. Getting small vessels up to Chungking would be possible, I'd think. The small interwar destroyers would probably be the biggest ships that could be managed though.

Is it? Oh, whoops. Well, if you can't carry the campaign to Tibet, then why try?

I would have expected getting the Longquan mountains to have that kind of messiness, but confess to having no real understanding of what's going on there and just settling on the roughest looking picture from Wikipedia.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TildeATH posted:

Is it? Oh, whoops. Well, if you can't carry the campaign to Tibet, then why try?

I would have expected getting the Longquan mountains to have that kind of messiness, but confess to having no real understanding of what's going on there and just settling on the roughest looking picture from Wikipedia.

Yeah, the USA actually had ships that patrolled up and down the Yangtze, going not only up to Chungking but sometimes beyond.

The older and smallest destroyers are probably at the very edge of what is feasible, but ships certainly could navigate up up the Yangtze to Chungking

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Looks like the AI has their heart set on Tarakan. Time to stick a guard force there and watch them throw scattered waves of ships and troops at it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why attack Tarakan? How would it be useful to hold?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
You can get boats up the Yangtzee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Chongqing
That is a fair size, and you could very carefully get a Mogami up there with enough rain. Just do not plant on getting it back out.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

A White Guy posted:

There, they formed an orchestra in the camp, which introduced the symphony to the Japanese (yes, Germans are at least partly responsible for Final Fantasy music).

That sounds like complete bullshit, and if your source is that wiki article, it doesn't actually say that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit another ship – its still safe off the coast of Pearl – for us!

We're trading planes again.

We destroy another unit. We may have lost more troops, but they are only disabled squads.

We take Ambon, and three more units are annihilated.

Another Chinese city falls to our forces. The enemy take heavy losses once more.

The bloodbath continues.

That was a good day! We took two bases and killed thousands of Allied troops.

We even came out ahead in ships!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Your forces at Chunking appear to have fixed their supply situation.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

RZApublican posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how long it will take for the Chinese to start getting supply penalties?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cantorsdust posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how long it will take for the Chinese to start getting supply penalties?

In Chunking itself? Probably a while considering that the majority of their supplies would have been stockpiled there and if there were any resources stockpiled as well what industry they have in the city could manufacture more for a while longer. In the rest of China, however, Grey could guarantee that nothing get out or in by taking that base to the west of Chunking, as it's the only transit point the city has left to receive anything or to distribute supplies to the rest of the country, if it is still able to do that.

Also, it just occurred to me how close Grey is to taking the rest of Southwestern China. If he pushes to the Indochinese border he'll have opened a railway and highway network that runs all the way from Korea to Singapore, and if he goes further west and takes Kunming a railway, highway, and trail network that runs all the way to Rangoon and Mandalay and potentially India if he conquers that far.

A full view of the map is available here.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 28, 2016

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

RZApublican posted:

After yesterday's bloodbath there's definitely no shortage of meat lying around

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

tunapirate posted:

After yesterday's bloodbath there's definitely no shortage of meat lying around

J-Rations!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I guess yesterday was an aberration? I must admit before that and today it seemed workable...

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

RA Rx posted:

I guess yesterday was an aberration? I must admit before that and today it seemed workable...

The Chinese attacked Grey instead of Grey attacking their level 5 fort.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

RZApublican posted:

In Chunking itself? Probably a while considering that the majority of their supplies would have been stockpiled there and if there were any resources stockpiled as well what industry they have in the city could manufacture more for a while longer. In the rest of China, however, Grey could guarantee that nothing get out or in by taking that base to the west of Chunking, as it's the only transit point the city has left to receive anything or to distribute supplies to the rest of the country, if it is still able to do that.

Also, it just occurred to me how close Grey is to taking the rest of Southwestern China. If he pushes to the Indochinese border he'll have opened a railway and highway network that runs all the way from Korea to Singapore, and if he goes further west and takes Kunming a railway, highway, and trail network that runs all the way to Rangoon and Mandalay and potentially India if he conquers that far.

A full view of the map is available here.

We're playing the Admiral's edition, which is on an entirely different scale than that og map AFAIK. You're right otherwise of course.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Koesj posted:

We're playing the Admiral's edition, which is on an entirely different scale than that og map AFAIK. You're right otherwise of course.

Ah, I probably should have caught that. Strangely enough, I can't seem to find a full map for Admiral's Edition online.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
I just found this thread earlier this week and have finally caught up. Thanks for taking on this massive task again Grey Hunter.

Your previous LP as the allies convinced me to purchase the AE version of this game (I had the original but never really delved that deep into it).

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

RZApublican posted:

Ah, I probably should have caught that. Strangely enough, I can't seem to find a full map for Admiral's Edition online.

They're split up in the game files. I was bored so I pieced them together.

Here, have an 87 Mb, 9703 x 7767 tif file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74v20bsenbmzaii/WITPAE%20map.tif?dl=0

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grumio posted:

They're split up in the game files. I was bored so I pieced them together.

Here, have an 87 Mb, 9703 x 7767 tif file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74v20bsenbmzaii/WITPAE%20map.tif?dl=0

Thanks.

If I'm reading this correctly a Japanese player need only block three hexes in northwestern China and western Siberia north of Tannu Tuva to completely block off the Soviets in the Far East from reinforcements and supply.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We see more scattered air combat.

Our cruisers are heading out, and they have air cover.

We are cleaning up here nicely.

Another base falls to our forces.

Our Chinese Patina's spill more dead bodies. This analogy got creepy all of a sudden.

We are past the danger zone here, the AV's have levelled out, so we should be able to tie this area up at least. Taking the city may take some time, but for now, its not putting any supplies out into the rest of the country.

Another good day. Our men are advancing again, and we've got the Chinese supply bottled up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Still disrupted, but the fatigue malus is gone now too. How long does it take for them to get fully organized? Also, is your chunking force prepared - you've had them planning this attack for a month or so? We never get much view into the preparation part of the game.

I'm also curious about air battle in china. I don't think we've seen many (any?) air combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Still disrupted, but the fatigue malus is gone now too. How long does it take for them to get fully organized? Also, is your chunking force prepared - you've had them planning this attack for a month or so? We never get much view into the preparation part of the game.

I'm also curious about air battle in china. I don't think we've seen many (any?) air combat?

I think the stack besieging Chungking was bombed once as they descended on the capital from the north/east, but thats all I remember seeing.