Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Can someone clarify something for me, pls?

There's one thing in particular that I never really understood about emailgate. And that is the fact that Hillary somehow needed approval from the State Department to have her own server. But she was the actual head of said department. Why would she need to do such a thing? Now, it would be one thing if she needed approval from another department like the FBI or CIA or the President himself. But the OIG report says the state department approves or denies such requests. So what's the deal with that?

Being the head of the state dept doesn't give privilege to ignore procedure and info security in the federal government.

The rules for info security and the procedures for handling classified or sensitive material are not handwavable unless you want to get federal charges. (Or are established enough that noone in your hierarchy blows the whistle on you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
She didn't use it to purposefully send or receive classified information.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

And a NYT article can count as containing classified information.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

That's a burden of proof I'll leave to the IG and FBI instead of speculating.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joementum posted:

Nope. She didn't.

Joe Joe Joe

You of all people should know by now that Facts Don't Matter.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Grognan posted:

Is this counting stuff that wasn't classified at the time but was retroactively declared to have been classified?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Trabisnikof posted:

I received weather reports in the Army at one point that were marked as classified.

There is Real poo poo that is very strictly controlled (and emailing it over public networks would be Real Bad For Real), but "classified" can also pertain to all kinds of trivia that's publicly available information that just got indiscriminately labeled by some random loving rear end in a top hat at some point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

sean10mm posted:

"classified" can also pertain to all kinds of trivia that's publicly available information that just got indiscriminately labeled by some random loving rear end in a top hat at some point.

When you give small people a way to feel self-important, they'll use it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

citybeatnik posted:

Is this counting stuff that wasn't classified at the time but was retroactively declared to have been classified?

poo poo probably got reeeeeeaaallll complicated once an investigation started and someone is going to be making decisions of this nature.

Also here's an article written about the Nevada state convention that might be interesting to read.

https://www.newsreview.com/reno/newsview/blogs#BlogPost-20963634

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Grognan posted:

Yeah you're right until the FBI weighs in I'll just assume she had all the classified information on her own personal server and is guilty. GUILTY *pounds gavel*

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I haven't been paying much attention to this in the slightest I'll admit, but how much of it's been actual classified secret/top secret/whatever and how much of it's just been sensitive but unclassified?

The whole clearance system is hosed anyway as others have said. There's been a slow movement to streamline what each agency considers releasable and what's not.

Grognan posted:

poo poo probably got reeeeeeaaallll complicated once an investigation started and someone is going to be making decisions of this nature.

And I'm sure that it'll be handled in a fair and impartial manne-BWAHAHAHAHAHA wait no it's an election year and it involves a Clinton, who am I joking.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Y'all best be careful about spreading rumors and 1/4 truths about the Grand Abuela. She'll have her people Vince Foster you.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Y'all best be careful about spreading rumors and 1/4 truths about the Grand Abuela. She'll have her people Vince McMahon you.

...Is that the right Vince?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ecureuilmatrix posted:

some of the word filters are still around!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Word filter you own.

Who knows Hilldogg might have something to do with that Vince being bat poo poo crazy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Someone's going to be met by a folding chair in a dark alley now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that makes it crazy is that she received quite a few emails about wikileaks and articles that referred to information from wikileaks.

When wikileaks dumps classified information, that info stays classified. If someone uses an unclassified computer to email an article that contains part of a wikileaks cable, that would constitute a breach.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Classification exists only so Cabinet-level officials can act in a manner that poo poo gets public only when they want it

Classification really didn't matter at the Cabinet level

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Who knows Hilldogg might have something to do with that Vince being bat poo poo crazy.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 28, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you can tell who works for a democratic super pac by their massive erections

https://www.facebook.com/motherjones/videos/10153777810687144/

Goddamn that's good.

Man, I can tell your posts from a mile away. Never stop, they're always great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

citybeatnik posted:

Some articles last year noticed this and tried to throw headlines out like CLINTON EMAILED CLASSIFIED INFORMATION, of course without the caveat that these were retroactively classified documents.

The other thing that gets brushed aside often is the fact that it was not illegal for her to have that server at the time. Later on the rules were changed so it was no longer allowed, but when she was SoS it was not against the rules.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DemeaninDemon posted:

Those fish can eat corn like true Americans.

Catfish, the most American fish. :v:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Catfish, the most American fish. :v:

Disgusting, fatty bottom feeder?

Fried catfish owns though.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Normally I give Mr. Interweb the benefit of the doubt but this thread has a really bad trend lately of:

"So guys about those emails..."

Do you see any indictments you clowns?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The big thing that still worries me about this election is how Trump has made it so acceptable to openly hate and attack Muslims, because I know the kind of people who will go after them are going to feel empowered to do the same poo poo to black people and jews again, and probably hispanic and gay people now too.

Aliquid posted:

i hope you know that you've always been a good and thoughtful poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBbK4flJR8

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

Normally I give Mr. Interweb the benefit of the doubt but this thread has a really bad trend lately of:

Honestly I love how people treat something about as serious as "used too many paper clips from the office supply closet" as some horrible crime.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

RuanGacho posted:

Any day now! Just you wait!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Honestly I love how people treat something about as serious as "used too many paper clips from the office supply closet" as some horrible crime.

Stealing from your employer is a heinous crime against the free market, fish.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
The Atlantic interviewed an early 20s Silicon Valley Libertarian about why he supports Trump. It's a depressing read as you would expect:

http://theatln.tc/1sTpGkX

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DemeaninDemon posted:

Stealing from your employer is a heinous crime against the free market, fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIXz_vzROrw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Whoa, hold your horses. I ain't one of the $hillary folk. All my questions so far about emailghazi have just been seeking clarification. In fact, that most recent post of mine was implying how bizarre it is for a department chief like her to have to ask her department for permission.

I've never thought of this "scandal" as anything particularly interesting, and nothing's changed on that front.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 28, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Any day now! Just you wait!

As I said earlier, this is the overhyped bullshit scandal that will get the Clintons after like 20 years of bullshit and blowjobs failed.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RuanGacho posted:

But FN has been talking about it a whole lot :ohdear:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Interweb posted:

Whoa, hold your horses. I ain't one of the $hillary folk. All my questions so far about emailghazi have just been seeking clarification. In fact, that most recent post of mine was implying how bizarre it is for a department chief like her to have to ask her department for permission.

I've never thought of this "scandal" as anything particularly interested, and nothing's changed on that front.

Which is why I normally give you the benefit of the doubt.

Government IT is such a goddamn mess in general, I don't really want to crack that egg right now but it's convenient that the only funding IT gets is when it's to find terrorists.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

mrfishstick posted:

The Atlantic interviewed an early 20s Silicon Valley Libertarian about why he supports Trump. It's a depressing read as you would expect:

quote:

Killing terrorist family members has been something I've wondered about for a long time. While the idea seems horrible initially,

Killing Libertarians has been something I've wondered about for a long time. While the idea seems horrible initially, wait, no it doesn't.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mrfishstick posted:

"People unfairly call me intolerant just for wanting to keep Muslims from entering the country! Can they not see that it is they who are the real intolerant ones for not tolerating my totally legitimate opinion!" :qq:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I dont support war crimes, but

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Bag of Milk posted:

Killing Libertarians has been something I've wondered about for a long time. While the idea seems horrible initially, wait, no it doesn't.

It is horrible, Labor camps are a better way, it gives them a chance to reform, and appreciate their lives and being part of a greater whole.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghetto Prince posted:

The big thing that still worries me about this election is how Trump has made it so acceptable to openly hate and attack Muslims, because I know the kind of people who will go after them are going to feel empowered to do the same poo poo to black people and jews again, and probably hispanic and gay people now too.

This is literally a huge part of why native non-Muslim minorities are pushing back hard against Trumpism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is literally a huge part of why native non-Muslim minorities are pushing back hard against Trumpism.

Antisemitism? In the followers of Trump? But their candidate was endorsed by Sheldon Adelson and the Republican Jewish Coalition!

• Locked thread