Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so are you purposely ignoring the point to go WELL ACTUALLY or are you just illiterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There was a Blue Beetle live-action TV show in early stages at one point, you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRNinNw96Q

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

and how long ago was that

(nobody gives a poo poo about blue beetle in 2016)

Well, uh, there's a brand new Blue Beetle comic coming out so apparently someone cares enough for DC to publish and promote it.

Also because Blue Beetle owns.

Edit: Also "nobody cares about (niche superhero) in 2016" is kinda silly in a world where loving Ant-Man made millions of dollars at the box office and Big Hero 6 was a large hit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Well, uh, there's a brand new Blue Beetle comic coming out so apparently someone cares enough for DC to publish and promote it.

Also because Blue Beetle owns.

Edit: Also "nobody cares about (niche superhero) in 2016" is kinda silly in a world where loving Ant-Man made millions of dollars at the box office and Big Hero 6 was a large hit.

dc puts out a lot of dumb bullshit. they put out batwing a few years ago. remember batwing? it sucked. it was literally a brand new character that had appeared maybe once before, if that, and i'm pretty sure it was actually brand spanking new as of Batwing #1 by Judd "Everyone Has AIDS" Winnick. i don't know why they do things, but they do. it's pretty much always stupid as gently caress in the last five years, too.

also, as before, lmao if you think ant-man would have been nearly as successful without being tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dc puts out a lot of dumb bullshit. they put out batwing a few years ago. remember batwing? it sucked. it was literally a brand new character that had appeared maybe once before, if that, and i'm pretty sure it was actually brand spanking new as of Batwing #1 by Judd "Everyone Has AIDS" Winnick. i don't know why they do things, but they do. it's pretty much always stupid as gently caress in the last five years, too.

also, as before, lmao if you think ant-man would have been nearly as successful without being tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe

I like how you just glossed over Big Hero 6.

You're really stretching for you "nobody cares about this character" thing, especially when said character is pretty relevant in a lot of ways in some form or another. (If just, at bare minimum, because Nite Owl was inspired by Blue Beetle and Watchmen is a pretty relevant comic.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 28, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also let's not ues the word promote because that implies the book will last more than 18 issues because of poor sales (the last one went 16, for the record)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

I like how you just glossed over Big Hero 6.

i have no comments about big hero 6 because i have yet to see it or hear anything about it other than "it's good dickeye and it's ins anely your poo poo" which just earns it a place on my eternal list of things to get aruond to, however i have seen ant man and i fuckin work in a comic book store and listen to people talk about comic book poo poo 40 hours a week, minimum

i think i've got a pretty good idea of the way dc does things at this point, having watched it all unfold over the last five years

spoilers; it's all retarded, there's no loving logic to any of it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"you know who should get a spin-off series that we push really hard? VIBE"

you may be asking yourself who vibe is, and my answer is FUCKIN EXACTLY

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Given that Edgar Wright was originally a part of the film before he quit due to being forced to tie it into the cinematic universe, yes. It would've been probably a hit.

Otoh, DC is pretty dumb about what it does and who it lets handle properties. It's why we can't have Suicide Squad on the CW even though it would've probably been magnitudes better than Arrow and probably the upcoming Squad film

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 28, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
from the company that brought you future's end, convergence, and the endless beating of the horses formerly known as Watchmen, The Killing Joke, and Dark Knight Returns, comes a new idea, that's not dogshit this time i promise

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

Given that Edgar Wright was originally a part of the film before he quit due to being forced to tie it into the cinematic universe, yes. It would've been

because scott pilgrim was a resounding fuckin success at the box office

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

because scott pilgrim was a resounding fuckin success at the box office

As opposed to TinTin, The World's End, Hot Fuzz, and Shaun of the Dead?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

As opposed to TinTin, The World's End, Hot Fuzz, and Shaun of the Dead?

perhaps the "well its edgar wright so OF COURSE it would be a resounding success" argument is a flawed one is my point here

also tintin was a spielberg directed flick with more writers than just Wright and it screams spielberg way more than it does Wright if we wanna nitpick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
its insane watching people act like the success of the Marvel Comic Books Cinematic Universe Films: Phase One: The Avengers plays no part whatsoever in the success of the marvel film/tv ventures since then

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alright, we're getting a bit heated over stuff that isn't even related to toku now, so let's get this train back on the rails.

Here's some backstage photos of the Red Ranger's suit from the Power Rangers movie. It doesn't look quite as bad when it's not in a lovely over-shopped render.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Alright, we're getting a bit heated over stuff that isn't even related to toku now, so let's get this train back on the rails.

Here's some backstage photos of the Red Ranger's suit from the Power Rangers movie. It doesn't look quite as bad when it's not in a lovely over-shopped render.

i'll fuckin kill you!

i mean

i kinda like that suit

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Sadly, I'd imagine the entire film will be shot and edited with over shopped rendering

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, seeing it in the real world, it's something I could be down for.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Once they add in all the CGI details and color correction and all the rest, I'm sure it'll look just as lovely as the promo pics

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry, that suit still looks awful.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

kaku isn't really that much more recognizable than dai, considering the suit footage was used for like twelve episodes, whereas the white ranger suit is iconic as gently caress

obviously it sold well enough for them to commit to ohranger in the fall though, which i will buy in hopes of encouraging carranger, which i will buy despite not actually wanting to watch it, because i want them to keep doing these sets

I don't know if I can do much convincing, but Carranger is a much funnier show than people give it credit for. If you enjoy Sentai then it's definitely worth checking out. I would easily put it above Ohranger honestly. The villains look even cheaper and shittier than any other Toku fare, but that's all part of the joke. You're supposed to laugh at how stupid they look and how ridiculous their plans are.

Which might explain why the first half of Turbo is such a goddamned wreck when it tried making monsters like this into serious threats.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The suit still looks really bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It just looks even more like Iron Man.

Like, so far it looks better than the promo art, except for one thing.

Look at the morpher. Unless the morpher for some reason just unfolds into that mess of metal orange slices, that is the ugliest transformation item in the history of toku. And Jesus Christ, it looks like an infected belly button.

Pro Tip- if you are going to have a Thing poking out of some one's stomach, do not literally put it at belly button range, and make the majority of it the same color as what it is in.

I also have no loving clue why they have all of the blue lines over the red and white spotted body suit, that just makes the whole thing kind of hurt to look at.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You guys might be saying Ironman but honestly the strongest vibe I get from the suit is Transformers movie. Like the non-emphasized parts, the legs and belly and such, look like the "generic tech" parts that held together the recognizable car parts of the transformers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I can't get over how much of a loving mess this is

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

I can't get over how much of a loving mess this is

that's uh

not that big of a mess

recognizable elements of the costume translated into a biotech lookin suit of armor from the classic spandex

not that crazy. its what the green lantern movie did but wihtout lookin fuckin poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I don't know if I can do much convincing, but Carranger is a much funnier show than people give it credit for. If you enjoy Sentai then it's definitely worth checking out. I would easily put it above Ohranger honestly. The villains look even cheaper and shittier than any other Toku fare, but that's all part of the joke. You're supposed to laugh at how stupid they look and how ridiculous their plans are.

Which might explain why the first half of Turbo is such a goddamned wreck when it tried making monsters like this into serious threats.

yeah I watched a few episodes of carranger subbed and it was great. in the first ep an alien tricks the rear end in a top hat leads into becoming rangers by pretending to die and guilt tripping them. the antagonist's entire motivation is that he wants to impress a chick that wants "earf" turned into fireworks out of airheaded boredom. one early plan involves animating cars and poo poo to make them produce so much noise that it'll piss off the intergalactic community and make them destroy earth. two of the rangers have a petty argument and leave the mech in the middle of a fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

that's uh

not that big of a mess

recognizable elements of the costume translated into a biotech lookin suit of armor from the classic spandex

not that crazy. its what the green lantern movie did but wihtout lookin fuckin poo poo

You are crazy. It looks terrible. The blue lines add nothing but visual confusion. A lot of the grey parts seem to be there randomly. The pebbly undersuit and scaley belly imply dinosaur, but nothing else does. And the Morpher looks like an infected belly button. Once they add all the glowy bits in CGI, it'll only get worse.

And "recognizable" my rear end. The only thing it shares from the original is the Morpher, which they shrunk and swirled enough to be practically unrecognizable, and the chest rhombus, which they squished up and made glow blue.

suit looks like rear end

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

that's uh

not that big of a mess

I want to see what it looks like after post production.

Right now it's easy to tear into this thing- objectively I don't care for the aesthetic, and the morpher just looks really loving bad. Just, really bad.

But the difference between a finished shot that has all of the effects intended and a behind the scenes photo like this is night and loving day. ANY fan of tokusatsu should drat well know that.

I don't expect I'll enjoy it too much, but I'm hoping it works better than what this implies.

The color balance is still awful so far, though the black around the shoulders looks better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

You are crazy. It looks terrible. The blue lines add nothing but visual confusion. A lot of the grey parts seem to be there randomly. The pebbly undersuit and scaley belly imply dinosaur, but nothing else does. And the Morpher looks like an infected belly button. Once they add all the glowy bits in CGI, it'll only get worse.

And "recognizable" my rear end. The only thing it shares from the original is the Morpher, which they shrunk and swirled enough to be practically unrecognizable, and the chest rhombus, which they squished up and made glow blue.

suit looks like rear end

Those are literally the only distinct elements of the classic suit though you dolt

In the interest of actual discussion, how would you folks who don't like the suits redesign them for a modern reboot movie

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's very over-designed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Those are literally the only distinct elements of the classic suit though you dolt

In the interest of actual discussion, how would you folks who don't like the suits redesign them for a modern reboot movie

I honestly wouldn't have gone for the armor look at all. That's just going to draw comparisons to, at the very least, the original movie suits which is not a place you want to be, and leads to this kind of stuff right here.

They had no way of knowing how much of an impact Deadpool would have, but in a perfect world I would have liked them to remake the original suits, modernize them and streamline the look, but in similar materials to his suit. Not simple spandex, but not overdone armor either. Something that'd let the stunt men move better.

For as much as I hate the Power/Rangers fan film and its general look, the IDEA of how they did the MMPR suits wasn't a terrible one. Thicker materials goes a long way.

Yeah that'd be pretty silly looking in the end, but it's still Power Rangers. Either own the silliness and face it head on, or else why are you even bothering to make it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

I honestly wouldn't have gone for the armor look at all. That's just going to draw comparisons to, at the very least, the original movie suits which is not a place you want to be, and leads to this kind of stuff right here.

They had no way of knowing how much of an impact Deadpool would have, but in a perfect world I would have liked them to remake the original suits, modernize them and streamline the look, but in similar materials to his suit. Not simple spandex, but not overdone armor either. Something that'd let the stunt men move better.

For as much as I hate the Power/Rangers fan film and its general look, the IDEA of how they did the MMPR suits wasn't a terrible one. Thicker materials goes a long way.

Yeah that'd be pretty silly looking in the end, but it's still Power Rangers. Either own the silliness and face it head on, or else why are you even bothering to make it?

the problem with that is deadpool's suit is supposed to be leather or whatever, a suit a guy put together and then put on one leg at a time

not a magically appearing suit of armor that he uses to punch monsters in the fuckin face

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

and they're shrunken and shifted around as to be almost unrecognizable

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I would just use these exactly as is:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the problem with that is deadpool's suit is supposed to be leather or whatever, a suit a guy put together and then put on one leg at a time

not a magically appearing suit of armor that he uses to punch monsters in the fuckin face

That's why I never specified leather.

Just some kind of thicker material that isn't simply armor. The new Bat suit looks well enough.

Yeah, you'd have people wondering why the magic tech that summons the suits doesn't make it armor, but at this point that's pretty much just part of what Sentai is. Why not own that? It'd help make them distinct from others.

If you had to do armor, something far more streamlined would have been preferred, at least from me. Throw out the biomechanical thing because they're barely trying on that. The movie Guyver suits pulled that off way better. Just have something clean and simple that emphasizes the brilliant color balance of the original suits. Maybe move the morpher up to the chest. Also don't have a random gray strip down their stomachs for no real reason, especially if it's going to be the same color as the morpher and make it look like they have infected belly buttons, come on now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's a Power Rangers movie. You aren't going to make that grim or gritty or realistic.
Don't be ironic or self-aware at all. Target the same age range as the original Power Rangers, use spandex suits, and just have a really good script with lots of fun and action. I know they have to change the suits so they can sell new toys, but just do a basic spandex suit with some business on the torso, like Power Rangers always does.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

and they're shrunken and shifted around as to be almost unrecognizable

So literally no change whatsoever I'm sure that would go over amazingly in 2016 thanks noted forums idiot boom boom boom

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

It's a Power Rangers movie. You aren't going to make that grim or gritty or realistic.
Don't be ironic or self-aware at all. Target the same age range as the original Power Rangers, use spandex suits, and just have a really good script with lots of fun and action. I know they have to change the suits so they can sell new toys, but just do a basic spandex suit with some business on the torso, like Power Rangers always does.
it's weird that you extrapolate all that from the suits not being spandex but then again you're dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Zyuranger-ize the Go-Busters suits

• Locked thread