Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ilifinicus posted:

I feel like they did something wrong in the early game of Bravely Second. Once I got to the crater, I had instances where 4x characters at an equal level with the enemy in the area would miss every single attack after using 4x brave. I'm almost forced to go 4x wizard because I risk dying if I use Attack

dumb question, but your guys aren't blind, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kharmakazy posted:

How the hell are you meant to beat Vucub Caquix? I'm level 56, and my valkyrie can't even ding him, and my spellcasters are right out. The only way I managed to beat him was by using my 1 stardust and spamming mimic until the fucker died.

Florem sells Spirit, which is a nonelemental spell. Drain is also nonelemental.

Spirit Spirit Rain wasn't dealing amazing damage but it chewed through the boss well enough.

If I had Comet then, the boss probably wouldn't have had a turn.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I beat both of them, just seems odd my valkyrie couldn't touch him. Jump for zero on a crit with the best weapon for sale

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

many johnnys posted:

dumb question, but your guys aren't blind, are they?
no, they're not. nothing in the crater blinds you and they're just missing like nobody's business.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I beat the adventurer + deneb in 3 mins.

Yew - Wizard + Time Mage with Ventriloquism, mp free in a pinch and full charge. Put him in ghost status with highs matk gear.

Edea - Knight + whatever, full pdef gear with dual shields, auto undo and hp 20%

Magnolia - Yokai + Time Mage with chainspell, mp free in a pinch and full charge. Ghost status with matk gear.

Tiz - Same as Magnolia

Yew - Meteor Rain x2
Edea - Default
Magnolia - Meteor
Tiz - Meteor

Auto battle and fin.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I added everyone I could on the spreadsheet I could. Add me back (#78 on the list) so I can reap the exciting ablink rewards :3:

1263-9078-4757

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Which medics in chapter 5 use vigor tonic? The ones in the sea caves either kick tiz in the shin (confused), default (charmed), or not have access to vigor tonic (possessed) so I doubt it's them.

If we're dropping friend codes, mine's 0533-5313-8152.

added.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 27, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't wanna read any spoilers but does anyone want to add me for bravely default friend stuff? Just pm me your friend code and I'll respond back with me. I'm hoping for some powerful summons so that if a boss gives me trouble, I've got goons who have my back!

What I'm saying is send your players.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

glassyalabolas posted:

I beat the adventurer + deneb in 3 mins.

Yew - Wizard + Time Mage with Ventriloquism, mp free in a pinch and full charge. Put him in ghost status with highs matk gear.

Edea - Knight + whatever, full pdef gear with dual shields, auto undo and hp 20%

Magnolia - Yokai + Time Mage with chainspell, mp free in a pinch and full charge. Ghost status with matk gear.

Tiz - Same as Magnolia

Yew - Meteor Rain x2
Edea - Default
Magnolia - Meteor
Tiz - Meteor

Auto battle and fin.

Yeah, this is probably the most popular easy cheese setup of the optional superboss, with the second being more of the same but exploiting that one Kaiser skill, Winter Storm or whatever it's called. It should be unnecessary to do Meteor Rain twice, since he should Ventriloquism the Rain from the first time onto two more Meteor uses instead. I also had my tank as a Guardian instead of a Knight but with Auto Undo you don't have much to worry about either way. You can also play riskier and give the tank Rob Blind and Thievery to Prince of Thieves extra copies of the drops from the superboss, too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I added myself to the spreadsheet (2062-9461-1513) and am adding everyone from the last few pages plz add me too thanks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Which medics in chapter 5 use vigor tonic? The ones in the sea caves either kick tiz in the shin (confused), default (charmed), or not have access to vigor tonic (possessed) so I doubt it's them.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I forgot the name, but it should be the keep where the knight/ninja sidequest happens.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished Bravely Second. Overall, mechanically it was better than Default, but the story and writing were very lacking in comparison. Sure Second doesn't pull the Groundhog Day stuff the first game did, but a lot of the story aspects in Second were half baked. The Ba'als were really underutilized, and as a result, Magnolia just feels really out of place and kind of shoehorned in as Yew's love interest. It's really obvious that the teaser for Bravely Second was made way before everything was set in stone. Though at least the devs seemed to have learned their lesson from that, since Bravely Third's teaser is much smaller in comparison. Also the silliness was ramped up to grating levels.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally I thought BD had better ideas and Second had far better execution of a lot of its ideas. Like, the whole thing in Default about the Orthodoxy and vestals largely being corrupt shits is hella cool, but it feels aggressively contrived to have you fighting mustache-twirling psychos to make you hate the goof guys (and occasionally dudes like Khint and Heinkel that retroactively become good) until what, Barborossa in Chapter 3?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I just got to the point in the game where Ba'als can invade your moon base. I reduced one of them to level 10 before trying to fight it and it still has 92k HP and so much defense I cannot do any damage.

How are you supposed to fight these things?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hommando posted:

I just got to the point in the game where Ba'als can invade your moon base. I reduced one of them to level 10 before trying to fight it and it still has 92k HP and so much defense I cannot do any damage.

How are you supposed to fight these things?

If you get them all the way down to level 1 they're pretty easy even when you can first access them and still give good rewards. Leaving them at higher levels than that is mostly just to challenge yourself and should probably be saved for later in the game. Even the difference between level 1 and level 2 is pretty huge, so you shouldn't count on a Ba'al's level to be the expected level you're at when you fight it or anything like that.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thuryl posted:

you shouldn't count on a Ba'al's level to be the expected level you're at when you fight it or anything like that.

This is exactly what I thought their level meant.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I got to the first sub choice... I'll just leave this quote here

quote:

The trouble with these scenarios is that the side quests are told in such a way that players are inevitably going to make their choices on who to aid and who to shun, but the jobs are tied to those characters. While I wanted to be a Thief, I didn't feel good about aiding DeRosa, who had come across as a pompous jerk while the Jackal was an altruistic hothead. Unfortunately, following my feelings would lead to me not getting the job I wanted, which wasn't the outcome I was aiming for.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Always follow your heart.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta make a tough call sometimes. Just remember, no matter what you choose, I'll still be your friend.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Sorry Jackal but your asterisk is way more valuable than De Rosa's.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Marogareh posted:

Sorry Jackal but your asterisk is way more valuable than De Rosa's.

This. While you can still steal with the Thief's Knife + Gloves, double steals are awesome and Thieves deal respectable damage with a bow. I haven't regretted my choice one bit since I made it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Red Mage gets outclassed by an Asterisk you can get a little later, anyway.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

OTOH, it's also the first opportunity you'll have for party healing that isn't bogged down by Bishop's percentage-based heals, and the next one doesn't come for a fair while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be quite honest, I hardly ever needed healing from magic classes since White Wind is a thing and costs 200 pg a cast. And it's on the same class that gives...well hardly anything until Cat Mastery, but Catmancer still has good stats and is largely skewed more towards physical guys anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Red Mage gets outclassed by an Asterisk you can get a little later, anyway.

You don't get Red Mage for damage. You get Red Mage for BP recovery and Aspir.

Also trivially Red Mage is the most valuable class in the game (apart from Wizard maybe) because it gives Chainspell.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You don't get Red Mage for damage. You get Red Mage for BP recovery and Aspir.

Also trivially Red Mage is the most valuable class in the game (apart from Wizard maybe) because it gives Chainspell.

By the time you have access to Chainspell it doesn't matter which asterisk you originally picked, since you'll have both anyway.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The fact that you can get all the asterisks in one playthrough kinda cheapens the choices a bit. I actually spent time agonizing which ones I wanted until chapter 5 came and got them all anyway.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 28, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last Celebration posted:

To be quite honest, I hardly ever needed healing from magic classes since White Wind is a thing and costs 200 pg a cast. And it's on the same class that gives...well hardly anything until Cat Mastery, but Catmancer still has good stats and is largely skewed more towards physical guys anyway.

Sonic Boom ignores defense and Spray hits water weaknesses. Blood Leech is handy sometimes since Catmancer is pretty fast and Preforator helps out when Hammer is the best spellcraft to use before Rain circumventing the damage cap is a realistic prospect. And the command still has Catnap.

Like Vampire before it, it's a great ability to put on a physical job to give them some options, even if it is mostly White Wind and a few niche physicals.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Thuryl posted:

By the time you have access to Chainspell it doesn't matter which asterisk you originally picked, since you'll have both anyway.

I mean true, but the only value thief actually presents is at level 11 anyway. It's a physical class in Second that appears after you get spellcraft and whose primary gimmick is substituted by an item.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'd argue that there is nothing really worth double stealing until you'd get the asterisk again anyway.

You need thief to make use of all those sweet bows though :(

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Rascyc posted:

I'd argue that there is nothing really worth double stealing until you'd get the asterisk again anyway.

You need thief to make use of all those sweet bows though :(

It goes a long way to keeping you supplied without forcing you to stop for anything. I don't have the time or patience for grinding, and I'm already strapped for cash the moment I arrive in a new town, so being able to steal 2 healing items or weapons at a time is a great time saver. And like I said, the damage they deal is respectable and (best of all) free.

My favorite use of Red Mage was as a secondary for Monk with Phantom Weapon and Natural Talent, so now that they appear to have removed the former I'm not nearly as interested in the class. Between Wizard, Bishop, Astrologian, Summoner and Catmancer I have my mage game pretty well in hand, making Thief the obvious choice for utility and no-cost physical damage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sonic Boom ignores defense and Spray hits water weaknesses. Blood Leech is handy sometimes since Catmancer is pretty fast and Preforator helps out when Hammer is the best spellcraft to use before Rain circumventing the damage cap is a realistic prospect. And the command still has Catnap.

Like Vampire before it, it's a great ability to put on a physical job to give them some options, even if it is mostly White Wind and a few niche physicals.

Yeah, the skills aren't bad at all, it's just that since they use items now it's not as feasible to Brave x4 your way through randoms, at least when you have Charioteer early on for Weapon Toss/Trample. Death Spiral is pretty busted later on for randoms though, and the class itself has good stats in most things if you're okay with fists/axes,

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm trying to get more Ba'al's (lol i can't not find the term Ba'al Buster hilarious), but I've only got one from sqeenix. Does anyone have any balls they can send me?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The Waste Not support skill from Freelancer fires often enough and applies to both Catmancer and Patissier skills. It's a bit deep into Freelancer, at level 7, but it's very much worth it if you plan on running either or both of those jobs.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm trying to get more Ba'al's (lol i can't not find the term Ba'al Buster hilarious), but I've only got one from sqeenix. Does anyone have any balls they can send me?

Are you trying to fill out the bestiary entries?

There's one section of chapter 4 (you'll know it when you reach it) where all of the random encounters are replaced with Ba'al fights. You can fill out the journal that way. They'll look like they're not updating at first, but once you fight a normal fight again, everything you did will roll up and the entries will flesh out.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You can get back to normal fights from the End Layer state?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

You can get back to normal fights from the End Layer state?

No, but your book will continue to count up encounters, even though it won't reveal any more bestiary info. When you carry on to NG+ and play the game with everything normal again, it'll catch up what you did after a single regular encounter (and revealing as many paragraphs of info as are appropriate).

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 29, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Last Celebration posted:

Personally I thought BD had better ideas and Second had far better execution of a lot of its ideas. Like, the whole thing in Default about the Orthodoxy and vestals largely being corrupt shits is hella cool, but it feels aggressively contrived to have you fighting mustache-twirling psychos to make you hate the goof guys (and occasionally dudes like Khint and Heinkel that retroactively become good) until what, Barborossa in Chapter 3?

I always liked how the party kills Barbarossa for basically sailing in the middle of nowhere, not bothering anyone.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't really like the meta stuff in Bravely Default, largely because they basically start the game by saying that there's a kind of commentary going on between the real world/game world and how they interact. There's always this sense that the game is a pastiche world, a sort of collection of fantasy tropes and ideas, like you're half-remembering an old-school Final Fantasy game. This is fine for most of the game because the plot is real basic: go here, save crystal, repeat--but then about three-fourths into it they try to add in more contextual backstory to the world, and try to develop a lore and a history and basically try to cram an entire game's backstory into one relatively brief section of gameplay.

I felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too, and since the Orthodoxy and Eternia having beef is much more relevant to the general action of the game, I felt like they'd spoiled the integrity of their world by adding a meta-narrative that the game didn't need. Bravely Default wasn't really a title I felt needed to be self-aware. A cute homage to job systems and classic FF was all anyone needed, and while the meta stuff pays out in the very very end (I guess, based on Second's recap), I feel like they could have just told a more straightforward story and then had the characters and world get more fleshed out. Instead, they try to have both a living setting and a pastiche setting and the result doesn't quite hit the mark, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Soul Mirror apparently gets around 85% Evade.

• Locked thread