Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry people, SA user Adam Bowen says it's not a problem, so it's not. Thank goodness. We can all rest easily now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I don't have any authority but I'm not a whiny little bitch who is trying to play a victim to make money, so whenever I've received death threats on the internet I've just kept them to myself instead of encouraging dipshit trolls to make more threats by giving them the exact attention they want. It's actually pretty simple.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are saying that people making death threats is ok because the person being threatened can ignore them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was rewatching Georges Méliès' "A Trip to the Moon" and I love how the plot can be summed up as "some old white dudes build a cannon to shoot themselves to the moon, then proceed to murder the moon's locals"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm not a whiny little bitch

:rolleyes:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't have any authority but I'm not a whiny little bitch who is trying to play a victim to make money, so whenever I've received death threats on the internet I've just kept them to myself instead of encouraging dipshit trolls to make more threats by giving them the exact attention they want. It's actually pretty simple.

Right but the thing is, he isn't trying to make money off it. Well, he wrote a blog about it, but that seems to be how game writers react to things now. It's still classless behavior to send somebody death threats, and to go so far as track down their personal info or phone number is enough to warrant a criminal harassment charge at the very least. If there's any criticism to be made, it's that he hasn't contacted the police, but I haven't read the full story so maybe he has.

A lot of people play victim today, but that doesn't mean harassing people like this isn't garbage behavior.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's really lovely behavior and deserves legal punishment, but there is no legitimate reason to share that poo poo publicly and give attention to it when getting attention is literally the only reason assholes act like that in the first place

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Adam Bowen posted:

It's really lovely behavior and deserves legal punishment, but there is no legitimate reason to share that poo poo publicly and give attention to it when getting attention is literally the only reason assholes act like that in the first place

Let's not assume motive, they may very well have wanted to feel intimidating. Judging from the reddit posts, it sounds like teenagers acting tough, but we don't really know what the person sending the messages is really after. The article may be self-serving or simpering, but the behavior that prompted it is also deplorable, and the greater evil of the two. CJacobs has the right of it, these sorts of messages shouldn't be taken TOO seriously, but if somebody's gotten hold of your personal info like a cell phone or a personal email address, I think that certainly warrants a call to the local precinct, if you feel so inclined. I think at the very least this demonstrates that the toxic attitude of assholes on the Internet isn't really gender specific, and menfolk can get thrown a lot of vile and alarming hate over utterly unimportant poo poo just as much as the ladies can. In the end, the Internet makes you stupid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't have any authority but I'm not a whiny little bitch

sorry to bring you the bad news but

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

if I ignored you you'd still be making bad posts

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

christ on a crutch just how much DLC can one company make for a goat game?

CJacobs posted:

It is a bit unnerving that "you should kill yourself" has been overtaken by "i will kill you" in terms of demoralizing things to say to people, that's about the point where cyber-bullying stops being the kind where you can just ignore it because what if they're serious. there's like a 0.1% chance, but what if.
I'm still a big fan of "eat a bag of hell" both for the sound of the phrase and the impossibility of the concept

also please let's not continue the very hellthready topic of death threats online here in our happy fun game chat thread

semper games

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Eat a bag of dicks is a classic for a reason. Whose job is it to provide the dicks? Must I gather them, since I want you to eat them? Or are you to gather them, thus adding to the humiliation of having to eat them? To say nothing of the owners--or former owners--of the dicks themselves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why cant you people just be normal

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Nothing makes a joke funnier than meticulous explanation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

No Such Thing posted:

i am putting hell in a bag right now, just you wait

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn in the bible posted:

Eat a bag of dicks

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

idg this mindset. on anonymous/pseudonymous forums it's maybe harmless (though still creepy and some people will go internet detective on your rear end), but I don't see how getting sent death threats to your personal accounts, through which people can easily find your other personal info, is nbd. the internet has become a basic part of communication, and nobody would defend threatening to kill somebody over the phone.

THEY CALLED THE FOURTH ADAM BOWEN RETARD FOUR

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TpSKxntrAg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

No Such Thing posted:

You see, its funny cause the joke seems to be setting up that the drink got the person drunk enough to vomit, aka "blow chunks, not drunk enough to blow his dog named Chunks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

First Aid Kite you are a nice dude and a regular positive influence upon this thread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm not really defending it but more just saying it's a thing that happens and has been for the past 20+ years I've been on the internet, and I've never cried about it or acted like it reflected anything more than some people being dickheads when granted anonymity :shrug:

Adam Bowen posted:

You're crying about it right now. The whiny little bitch is you.

Adam Bowen posted:

They're broke-brained redditors in denial about the game's delay, collectively and angrily lashing out as an anonymous mob at the messenger delivering a message they don't like, not famous reality tv stars getting high on their own narcissistic supply by getting people to talk about them.

corn in the bible posted:

Videogame forums don't attract normal people who knew? :confused:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanted to remind everybody that not only was kangaroo jack a thing, it also got an animated sequel featuring that bit

Stay safe everybody, please do not get knocked out by a rapping kangaroo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kangaroo Jack was the only reason Australia was ever tolerated. We couldn't hate a nation with such terrible sense in comedy.

Then The Katering Show came along and redeemed your entire nation.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Motto posted:

if I ignored you you'd still be making bad posts

Oh you can't ignore him because even when he's on your ignore list everyone takes his stupid troll bait and quotes all of his posts 20 times.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

What even was the crew?
:sigh:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I thought I'd forgotten about that trash-heap.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_0JbMrl8I

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mutata posted:

Oh you can't ignore him because even when he's on your ignore list everyone takes his stupid troll bait and quotes all of his posts 20 times.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jon Do posted:

I haven't tried that with InputMapper, but if you open its window and select the controller you can manually disconnect it. Also you can set the idle disconnect timer if you like.

e: a lot of settings are profile specific and thus are under the profile itself
Hello again, InputMapper friend. I actually figured out an easier way: it's not stated anywhere but if you push the PS button + Options at the same time it instantly disconnects/turns off the controller.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So what's the story with that Deus Ex drone strike video? Some sort of multiplayer mod?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpvSye7FBE4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I came to empty quote the Metal Gear image and stayed for the cool story

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Videogamer/Miller Report did a office tour video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lW3GXxtDBY

:allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turns out Kotaku guy was correct about the delay anyways. Sean Murray confirmed it last night on the official PlayStation blog.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Turns out Kotaku guy was correct about the delay anyways. Sean Murray confirmed it last night on the official PlayStation blog.

Dunno why anyone's surprised. The natural state of No Man's Sky has always been "delayed."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would prefer it if NMS were a good game that didn't waste people's money but OTOH everything surrounding it is a perfect storm of the easiest things to make fun of on the internet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing the first Witcher, and I'm having a fairly good time, but I really don't understand how this game made such a splash when it came out. It's like a 2001 Bioware game with even worse quest design, only sometimes someone says "gently caress" or you see some boobs. And I remember people praising its "shades of grey" storytelling but in practice so far it just means almost every npc is a horrible rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't think anyone was really crazy about the witcher until Witcher 2 and its two storylines

• Locked thread