Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Uhhh well it's actually good that you pay $80 for what would have been a $20 expansion 3 years ago, or a launch feature 5 years ago.

Hmm yes I pine for the EU3 development cycle, where you paid $20 to turn Ming into an unplayable nation and make Japan a buggy mess that was only properly sorted out in EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Larry Parrish posted:

Uhhh well it's actually good that you pay $80 for what would have been a $20 expansion 3 years ago, or a launch feature 5 years ago.

Wow dude... talking poo poo about Paradox's DLC policy... when it's actually super fair? Don't you remember when they added development and got rid of buildings in EU4? Free patch feature. You don't have to look at buildings anymore. That's on the house.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm the original Crusader Kings ability to play non-Christian nations as a feature officially supported ever much less a launch feature.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Jazerus posted:

Hmm yes I pine for the EU3 development cycle, where you paid $20 to turn Ming into an unplayable nation and make Japan a buggy mess that was only properly sorted out in EU4.

Thank you.

As someone who got into Paradox when they were still kinda niche, the new model is way loving better and the people who complain about it don't know what it was like.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jazerus posted:

you forgot the best part: horde mechanics

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Please insert a trigger warning and at least ten lines of white space at the beginning of your post

:negative:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
my most memorable eu3 multiplayer game was one i played with friends, some time after divine wind came out. they were various european countries; I was the golden horde. i started the game by conquering muscovy, and then continued from there, swallowing everything in my path in an unceasing and unstoppable wave of destruction. i was midway through austria in 1420 with no signs of slowing when, finally, the game crashed. tbh i think my friends were just grateful it did...

of course, that was the good side of horde mechanics.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Paradox DLC model is the best, great games getting even better, (at some point bloated and If you dont like that you just roll back?)
I dont see why people have a problem with it. You might argue they hold out on features or whatever to add as dlc, but thats probably not how game development work. Also more money for paradox is good, just buy the poo poo on sale if its too expensive.

Edit: But im a biased fanboy, since I've been playing pdx games since I was 9.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 27, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zombiepop posted:

Paradox DLC model is the best, great games getting even better, (at some point bloated and If you dont like that you just roll back?)
I dont see why people have a problem with it. You might argue they hold out on features or whatever to add as dlc, but thats probably not how game development work. Also more money for paradox is good, just buy the poo poo on sale if its too expensive.

Because people want to have their cake and eat it too. There's a dichotomy between the old model of "pay $50, get the game and a few bugfix patches" and the Paradox model of "pay a slightly less amount up-front for the base game, but we'll also continue developing the game over the next half-decade, giving you more and more at a relatively reasonable price each time."

Also Paradox stuff goes on sale ridiculously often and people who bitch about it can pick up the DLC for like $3 in 6 months.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My only real complaint is that, because the DLC features have to be able to stand on their own, they are not properly integrated into the main game (as old expansion features would have the leisure to be). They're things that your game is supposed to be able to handle not being there, and they have to be able to stand on their own which doesn't always make for a very cohesive gameplay experience. Estates is probably the biggest offender in this, where everyone was happy at the prospect of internal management, and then it turned into an unimportant attention grabber, because guess what, the game has to be able to work without estates as well, so they cannot really be a core gameplay feature.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

PleasingFungus posted:

What horde mechanics? You mean Bohemian Eurasia?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did you get that av to go along with your redtext? :3:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

PleasingFungus posted:

HttR-era hordes were fun and balanced, it's just DW that ruined everything it touched(except the map).

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Kavak posted:

Did you get that av to go along with your redtext? :3:

No I added the AV myself because I got complaints that people were missing my dev comments. But kept the red text so the guy who put in all that effort and money wouldn't feel unappreciated.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

YF-23 posted:

My only real complaint is that, because the DLC features have to be able to stand on their own, they are not properly integrated into the main game (as old expansion features would have the leisure to be). They're things that your game is supposed to be able to handle not being there, and they have to be able to stand on their own which doesn't always make for a very cohesive gameplay experience. Estates is probably the biggest offender in this, where everyone was happy at the prospect of internal management, and then it turned into an unimportant attention grabber, because guess what, the game has to be able to work without estates as well, so they cannot really be a core gameplay feature.

I think with the DLC going so far back they should eventually put down a cutoff and say release a "EU4 Complete" with things now just being considered core features. Of course, this wouldn't be the COMPLETE game because there would be more DLC later.

(Chronicles/Complete is the dumbest loving thing.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, I can't be mad with Paradox for the DLC-expansions. There's no other company their size putting out regular updates for a 4 year old game. It takes money to pay for the developers for 4 years; you can't expect them to do that for free. My only concern is this:

YF-23 posted:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zombiepop posted:

because if i want to play the full EU4 experience i have to literally spend 270 euros and 290 if i want CK2.

Paradox look at the train simulator market and is beating them at their own game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mans posted:

because if i want to play the full EU4 experience i have to literally spend 270 euros and 290 if i want CK2.

Paradox look at the train simulator market and is beating them at their own game.

Wow, you're totally right. Paradox DLCs are of a quality below even the most rushed cosmetic train DLC. How they can force this crap down our throats is beyond me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mans posted:

the full eu4 experience, feat. National Monuments II: "new graphical national monuments for the already stunning Europa Universalis IV map", and Colonial British and French Unit pack: "16 new unique unit models for British and French colonial troops". your game just won't be complete without them!

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Odobenidae posted:

Wow, you're totally right. Paradox DLCs are of a quality below even the most rushed cosmetic train DLC. How they can force this crap down our throats is beyond me.

Most of the DLC really is cosmetic train DLC though, as PleasingFungus just illustrated. A lot of the expansion DLC is fairly minimal content for its price.

I also think it's pretty questionable whether EU4 at the moment is actually an improvement over EU4 Art of War, so I'm not really sure prolonging the development of these games for years is really a positive point.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
if you haven't purchased all 270 euros ($260, lmao @ euro pricing) of eu4 game content at full price, you are missing out on the Art of War Official ebook, featuring "a preface by project lead Thomas Johansson with advice on how to apply Sun Tzu’s teachings to this very complex and multi-layered game." and, at that point, the game is pretty much just a pale shadow of itself - without that, why even bother?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've really enjoyed the paid DLC for CKII.

Adding shattered retreat and coalitions with a patch wasn't great but they've worked to listen to the community on that, and now they'll be toggle-able rules. Not bad all told.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Frosted Flake posted:

I've really enjoyed the paid DLC for CKII.

Adding shattered retreat and coalitions with a patch wasn't great but they've worked to listen to the community on that, and now they'll be toggle-able rules. Not bad all told.

I think some of the DLC was really good, and some of the DLC was not so good. I honestly just want CK3 at this point rather than more DLC though. That's how I feel about all of these games really. I want new and innovative ideas, not just 'more content' slapped on top of the existing model.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
the different religions and gov types are fun. some work better than others, but stuff like the aztec doom mechanic & the merchant republic state limit + trade leagues are very neat.

but I do agree that the game has more than enough systems that apply to everyone.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mans posted:

Yeah, and if you want to play WoW for a year, it is a solid $180

Some people are fine with paying that. If you are not, then don't

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mans posted:

Never heard of this newfangled Steam sale nonsense, well, guess I'll pay 300 euros

Edit: Like I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here but I have literally never paid more than half price for Paradox DLC and most of it was at 75% off. The nice thing about this model is that you can be perfectly content with the free patches until the DLC goes on sale because the most important additions are actually the free ones.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 28, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

PleasingFungus posted:

the different religions and gov types are fun. some work better than others, but stuff like the aztec doom mechanic & the merchant republic state limit + trade leagues are very neat.

but I do agree that the game has more than enough systems that apply to everyone.

When DLC is doing that, adding systems to an already existing feature of a subset of countries, that works great. Giving trade republics unique trade mechanics works great. Giving the Hindu countries religious mechanics works great. And that works well because systems on top of those features are always "tacked on". The Catholic cardinal game is "tacked on" on Catholics, but doesn't feel like it stretches them, because it's a subset of a feature (religion) rather than something fundamental.

With features like Estates, because it's a DLC feature it has to be tacked on for the game to work without it, even if it's something that should be fundamental (internal management). The limitations of DLC features do not mesh well with user expectations or ambitious development. And, having played with estates a few times (in multiplayer at any rate), I wouldn't say they're as bad as people here like to say, but rather underwhelming instead.

Then you have stuff like CK2's conclave which actually manages to knock it out of the park by being super well integrated into the game's fundamental mechanics. But CK2 is also less of a boardgame so comparison is actually not all that easy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How is shattered retreats a bad addition to CK2, I thought it would have been nice but I haven't played it in like six+ months

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

When DLC is doing that, adding systems to an already existing feature of a subset of countries, that works great. Giving trade republics unique trade mechanics works great. Giving the Hindu countries religious mechanics works great. And that works well because systems on top of those features are always "tacked on". The Catholic cardinal game is "tacked on" on Catholics, but doesn't feel like it stretches them, because it's a subset of a feature (religion) rather than something fundamental.

With features like Estates, because it's a DLC feature it has to be tacked on for the game to work without it, even if it's something that should be fundamental (internal management). The limitations of DLC features do not mesh well with user expectations or ambitious development. And, having played with estates a few times (in multiplayer at any rate), I wouldn't say they're as bad as people here like to say, but rather underwhelming instead.

Then you have stuff like CK2's conclave which actually manages to knock it out of the park by being super well integrated into the game's fundamental mechanics. But CK2 is also less of a boardgame so comparison is actually not all that easy.

Estates are bad and conclave is worse

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah, and if you want to play WoW for a year, it is a solid $180

Some people are fine with paying that. If you are not, then don't

Some people spend $15000 on fake space ships. Some purchasing decisions should be made fun of, and clicking 'buy all' to Paradox DLC not during a steam sale, is one of those purchasing decisions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

StashAugustine posted:

How is shattered retreats a bad addition to CK2, I thought it would have been nice but I haven't played it in like six+ months

ck2 doesn't have forts, so instead of giving you the ability to fight a grindy war of attrition and out-economy a militarily superior foe, all it really means is that wars take longer to resolve.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Some people spend $15000 on fake space ships. Some purchasing decisions should be made fun of, and clicking 'buy all' to Paradox DLC not during a steam sale, is one of those purchasing decisions.

Digital images of fake space ships.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

the full eu4 experience, feat. National Monuments II: "new graphical national monuments for the already stunning Europa Universalis IV map", and Colonial British and French Unit pack: "16 new unique unit models for British and French colonial troops". your game just won't be complete without them!

Preach. lovely devs like PARA-DO$H!!!(Paradox) are why I can't enjoy games anymore . Same poo poo with Valve, if I wanted the full PC TF2 experience I'd have to be a millionaire just so I can get every single hat and DLC item. gently caress that, I'll stick with The Orange Box for the 360.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

if you haven't purchased all 270 euros ($260, lmao @ euro pricing) of eu4 game content at full price, you are missing out on the Art of War Official ebook, featuring "a preface by project lead Thomas Johansson with advice on how to apply Sun Tzu’s teachings to this very complex and multi-layered game." and, at that point, the game is pretty much just a pale shadow of itself - without that, why even bother?

Wait, why lmao, it seems that Americans are getting hosed with the pricing for once

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, why lmao, it seems that Americans are getting hosed with the pricing for once

270 euro is about $300.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Holy poo poo :downs: I even know the approximate exchange rate, should have thought my post through.

So it's unfortunately business as usual.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://steamdb.info/app/236850/

I wish I was Russian.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

*were

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Britishness is suffering :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

V for Vegas posted:

Very interesting to see Tencent has bought 5% of the Paradox IPO.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-listing-attracts-tencent-as-fan-and-long-term-investor/

Three Kingdoms CK spin-off confirmed!

more like Tibet confirmed for being removed in release patch for HoI4