Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

The process of draft and who owns the cards has been clearly defined for a decade now.

I am guessing this is a rare redraft right?

No, pack prizes. And I didn't know if there was some grey legal area where you could slip in a different definition of a draft that didn't include legal ownership of the cards involved. This has never come up cuz I wasn't around for MM drafting but he probably tried this poo poo then too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yes absolutely. You can reach out to WPN. Helene Bergeot would love to hear about any store doing this. Hold your ground, do not hand over your cards, and warn them that if they try to enforce this they will lose their WPN sanction.
What's the path to take here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tell your lovely Store Owner to read this:

MTR 2.10 posted:

Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time.
This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters.

If it's a sanctioned event, you can drop at any time and walk. That being said, while Grognard-Owner cannot enforce a confiscation policy, he can ban you from his venue (which would be a lovely thing to do), and if he does I'd reach out to WPN/Helen/the plethora of player resources for just such lovely action.

Chill la Chill posted:

No, pack prizes. And I didn't know if there was some grey legal area where you could slip in a different definition of a draft that didn't include legal ownership of the cards involved. This has never come up cuz I wasn't around for MM drafting but he probably tried this poo poo then too.
He cannot confiscate prize packs, but as the TO he could do some super shady redefinition of how they are distributed which, again, you should report.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mikujin posted:

Tell your lovely Store Owner to read this:

If it's a sanctioned event, you can drop at any time and walk. That being said, while Grognard-Owner cannot enforce a confiscation policy, he can ban you from his venue (which would be a lovely thing to do), and if he does I'd reach out to WPN/Helen/the plethora of player resources for just such lovely action.

I might just try this. I'll be sure to extract all my store credit from the store beforehand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

You're from Pittsburgh-ish right? Is this where I think it is because if it is we had the same argument with God packs back in the day.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

You're from Pittsburgh-ish right? Is this where I think it is because if it is we had the same argument with God packs back in the day.

I thought Chill was from like Hawaii or something?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Eh that kind of hedges with end the reserve list for thunder spirit but maybe not the expensive cards people want.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Pming the store name to me would be a good start but also emailing wotc directly. Google report a store and the address is pretty easy to find. Make sure to include a picture of any flyers.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Chill la Chill posted:

I might just try this. I'll be sure to extract all my store credit from the store beforehand.
If your LGS Owner is putting any information up about the way he wants to run things (e.g. Facebook posts, fliers, whatever), get pictures of it for your report to really help your report, and/or get some other folks you regularly play with there to also report with you (if they dislike this stupidity) to help corroborate your report. The Owner should definitely not be trying to ransom product so that everyone will play The Way He WantsTM.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

No sorry. I have friends up there so I know the area.

Mikujin posted:

I thought Chill was from like Hawaii or something?
I live in all sorts of places. This is my Uni LGS.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

As for where to report, just Contact WotC Customer Support with the incident/whatever information you have to get things started. Typically these get forwarded to the WPN who will investigate further, but when it comes to stores trying to really gently caress players over they're usually pretty good about moving quick.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's no physical evidence yet aside from verbal announcements. I'm guessing it's just chest puffing but I really want an incident to happen so their WOTC support gets cut.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Actually it has not been clearly defined for a decade. MMA prompted WotC to actually change the policy, and many people do not realized the WotC has changed the policy to directly contradict what it used to say because it happened a long time after there was a huge outrage about it because of MMA. The old policy was that all draft/sealed materials were the property of the store until the end of the event. At the time TOs/judges declared that GP Las Vegas would allow anyone to drop if they opened multiple foil Tarmogoyfs or something because there was a big scare about people being forced to pass their pools worth $500.

I don't know exactly when the policy was turned on its head but I know that it was not within the months following the first big MMA GP, and that the policy was in its current state before MM2015 came out. It was never made public knowledge in any sort of major announcement, and it's no surprise any store wouldn't know the policy was changed.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Chill la Chill posted:

There's no physical evidence yet aside from verbal announcements. I'm guessing it's just chest puffing but I really want an incident to happen so their WOTC support gets cut.
First things first I'd talk to the LGS owner. Maybe he's just puffing his chest because of frustrations getting MMA/MM2 launch events to stick or something. If he doesn't back down, I'd recommend getting any other players who have concerns to report with you as well. A single report raises an eyebrow, but a group of them raises a red flag.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I can't even imagine why you'd pay to draft, and then take your cards and leave?

What's the point? I mean you get a pity pack for playing and losing don't you? So even if you just raredraft 3+ rares and suck at the game you still get another pack if you just play, I mean why not at least get that pack?

I get it with rare redrafts because that's loving stupid, but not if there's only packs on the line.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ultima66 posted:

Actually it has not been clearly defined for a decade. MMA prompted WotC to actually change the policy, and many people do not realized the WotC has changed the policy to directly contradict what it used to say because it happened a long time after there was a huge outrage about it because of MMA. The old policy was that all draft/sealed materials were the property of the store until the end of the event. At the time TOs/judges declared that GP Las Vegas would allow anyone to drop if they opened multiple foil Tarmogoyfs or something because there was a big scare about people being forced to pass their pools worth $500.

I don't know exactly when the policy was turned on its head but I know that it was not within the months following the first big MMA GP, and that the policy was in its current state before MM2015 came out. It was never made public knowledge in any sort of major announcement, and it's no surprise any store wouldn't know the policy was changed.

The policy was revised sometime in 2013. Under old policy the TO/host technically owned product until you could legally drop (e.g. drafting/sealed pool registration) was complete, and there was a whole mess of other concerns with ownership and players bringing in their own product. Long story short we now have the new rules in the MTR which explicitly outline that players have ownership of anything they legally possess at the time they are removed/removed themselves from an event.

E:

Telex posted:

I can't even imagine why you'd pay to draft, and then take your cards and leave?

What's the point? I mean you get a pity pack for playing and losing don't you? So even if you just raredraft 3+ rares and suck at the game you still get another pack if you just play, I mean why not at least get that pack?

I get it with rare redrafts because that's loving stupid, but not if there's only packs on the line.

If you opened a pack with Foil Tarmogoyf and regular Tarmogoyf you'd be passing like $200 if you were forced to stay in the event. In those cases you want to drop, or if your LGS was cool, buy and replace the pack so you aren't forced to decide between drafting or giving up tons of money in value.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Telex posted:

If you have pulled say a $150 mythic and a $300 foil, no amount of EV aside from dubious pro tour rewards will cause a rational person to stay in the event for an unknown prize. This is about the principle and lovely behavior of the owner, however low the possibility it is to even affect me. I'm not usually that lucky.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

some people draft to crack packs :iiam:. people were dropping from gps just to get elspeths

i've heard the discussion with regards to cards of much lower value. like I was drafting TPF and still pretty new at drafting and opened foil extirpate + damnation in a pack and people were like, i'd drop and take both but I was like gently caress that, take damnation, 3-0 easily, :smuggo:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 27, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Telex posted:

Vm2016 should have a foil per pack like mm2015 I believe. It's possible to get a bomb money card plus a foil money card.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

Because in the rare event that you open mana crypt/foil mana crypt, no one is going to want to pass it. Just like when MM2 drafts came out and people opened poo poo like goyf/foil clique or whatever. At our store we just have any verbal rule that if you open double high-value cards you can just keep that pack and buy another. The judge/owner has to see the pack to verify that you actually opened high value and not that you just don't like your p1p1.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sickening posted:

The process of draft and who owns the cards has been clearly defined for a decade now.

I am guessing this is a rare redraft right?

I went to draft for the first time ever a couple months ago and asked the manager of my LGS if they did rare redraft. He asked what that was and then when I asked if we kept the cards he looked at me like I was an alien and said "Uh, yeah."

My LGS is pretty swell.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

I went to draft for the first time ever a couple months ago and asked the manager of my LGS if they did rare redraft. He asked what that was and then when I asked if we kept the cards he looked at me like I was an alien and said "Uh, yeah."

My LGS is pretty swell.

My best hope is that my LGS won't do rare redraft for EMA. It's hard to get better at drafting when it's a net loss every time.

Either that or some miracle that I sell my Shardless Agents, and that a box is cheap enough that I can buy it and draft with people ("You come, we draft, I keep it all").

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Serperoth posted:

My best hope is that my LGS won't do rare redraft for EMA. It's hard to get better at drafting when it's a net loss every time.

Either that or some miracle that I sell my Shardless Agents, and that a box is cheap enough that I can buy it and draft with people ("You come, we draft, I keep it all").

I'll probably feel pretty spoiled about my current one if/when I move and have to find a new one. Women show up and play at this one, people feel good enough about it to bring their kids, people have helped me learn to play when I make obvious newbie mistakes, etc. Couple weeks ago one of the employees even jumped in to draft so that it could fire when turnout was light due to Mother's Day (and he drafted a gimmick Mill mono U deck, went 0-2 and dropped).

In general nothing like some of the horror stories I read ITT.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Chill la Chill posted:

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/contact-us
and/or tweet at Helene Bergeot @HeleneBergeot and tell her what happened.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I really want to play Faeries but Tron is giving such consistent results. :(

Tron is legitimately one of the easiest to play decks I've ever played. (Yes I realize Faeries is poo poo)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 28, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Because in the rare event that you open mana crypt/foil mana crypt, no one is going to want to pass it. Just like when MM2 drafts came out and people opened poo poo like goyf/foil clique or whatever. At our store we just have any verbal rule that if you open double high-value cards you can just keep that pack and buy another. The judge/owner has to see the pack to verify that you actually opened high value and not that you just don't like your p1p1.

I know there was a guy at the first MMA GP who opened something like 3 goyfs, foil goyf in his sealed pool that he was supposed to verify.

Dude just dropped and played side events bc it turns out the odds of beating that at a gp are miniscule, and he still got to do side events all weekend lmao

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I pulled the trigger and bought a playset of Goblin Guide. I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if I wanted to play burn but I somehow ended up trading in some of my infect for the deck and without Goblin Guide being reprinted I figured now was the best time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Played BW Eldrazi Taxes at Modern FNM, didn't have a great showing but still went 3-1 from the losers bracket.

Had mana difficulty a few times, trying to get WW or BW on turn 2 is tough with 8 colorless lands and 2 citpt lands.

Flickerwisp underperformed for me all night. I rarely had a creature out I wanted to flicker and I rarely wanted to flicker my opponent's stuff.

I feel like the deck is decent, but is splitting itself between Hatebears and Taxes - mastering neither decks benefit. The BW Eldrazi deck wants more exile effects for GY hate (likely relics main) and more creatures with etb effects. If the deck goes Taxes proper I feel there's an argument for UW Taxes, taking advantage of Force Spike creatures, Reflector Mages, Arbiter, Mindcensors, Thalia, and Vryn Wingmares.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If my opponent has fevered visions out and I play avaricious dragon, I draw from visions and presumably take damage before the dragon trigger makes me discard. Is that correct?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there any official statement from WOTC wrt dropping a tournament and keeping the cards? The grognard store owner at the LGS is threatening to ban someone who does at an EMA draft and may (implied, not actually said) confiscate their product. Can you report them to WOTC? I remember this being clearly stated at an MM GP.

If you post the store name and a screen shot of the threat I'll have this dealt with.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Helene isn't who you want to go through. She's OP but not necessarily WPN which is trade marketing. Post or PM me the info pls.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

If my opponent has fevered visions out and I play avaricious dragon, I draw from visions and presumably take damage before the dragon trigger makes me discard. Is that correct?

Yep. Active player's triggers go on the stack first, then non-active player. So the Visions trigger ends up being on top and resolving first (unfortunately for the Dragon player).

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've always wondered what the metagame would look like if every card was the same price. Would everyone run the same handful of "best" decks if price wasn't a deciding factor, or would people run more weird pet brews or rogue decks for the exact same reason?

My experience playing paper Pauper, where all the decks are roughly the same price, at a store that runs weekly events with modest payouts would suggest people would play what they feel like playing that night. Basically everybody builds multiple decks and you could just borrow a deck off of some dude who brought 6 if you want a change of pace. When you can play affordable decks weekly and going 3-0 is only 2 more packs than 0-3, people build lots of decks to play with. Like one dude might jump between a bunch of good decks while another plays his pet deck week in and week out.

Elyv posted:

this is also true if you bring auras into play in any way other than via casting them and putting them on the stack(for instance, a Sun Titan attack), or if an aura is moved by a card like Aura Finesse.

Rebels Vs Bogles is a funny matchup to observe 'cause a lot of Rebels tutor for more Rebels and put them directly into play.
Bound In Silence is a Rebel. It doesn't target when tutored with the Rebel ability, which is something a Bogles player has probably never seen before and will need explained to them.

Rebels also plays Standard Bearer in the board, or, "OOPS all of your Auras are on my guy now"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is GP Manchester being covered or is this one of the "we really want MTG to be a premium e-sport so we'll not actually broadcast most of the GP's" deal?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

edit: nvm

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of Pauper... if anybody is in town for GP Minneapolis and scrubs out early Pauper starts at 5pm at Universe games which is 2.2 miles from the convention center. Loaner decks are on hand.
Walk
Bus
Public bike-share

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Is GP Manchester being covered or is this one of the "we really want MTG to be a premium e-sport so we'll not actually broadcast most of the GP's" deal?

Yup, no GP this weekend is being streamed.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mehall posted:

Yup, no GP this weekend is being streamed.

rank loving amateurs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think no scg streams either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AceClown posted:

rank loving amateurs

2 big standard GPs and no coverage haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Balon posted:

Played BW Eldrazi Taxes at Modern FNM, didn't have a great showing but still went 3-1 from the losers bracket.

Had mana difficulty a few times, trying to get WW or BW on turn 2 is tough with 8 colorless lands and 2 citpt lands.

Flickerwisp underperformed for me all night. I rarely had a creature out I wanted to flicker and I rarely wanted to flicker my opponent's stuff.

I feel like the deck is decent, but is splitting itself between Hatebears and Taxes - mastering neither decks benefit. The BW Eldrazi deck wants more exile effects for GY hate (likely relics main) and more creatures with etb effects. If the deck goes Taxes proper I feel there's an argument for UW Taxes, taking advantage of Force Spike creatures, Reflector Mages, Arbiter, Mindcensors, Thalia, and Vryn Wingmares.

Yea the mana sucks. What are you playing that costs WW?

Flickerwisp isn't always good bit it's a blowout when it works, like when you remove counters from something or kill a token. Late game you can use it with displacer to perma-flicker stuff or protect the displacer. Also it's your best attacker.

Been practicing the deck but can't play it for real because nobody on puvatrade wants to send me Thalia or Shrines :(

• Locked thread