Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not dumb to think about the media you consume and no one here's actually complaining.

The royal you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kind of take it for granted that everyone in JJBA is crazy. I mean Jotaro is probably the most chill guy in this part so far and he threw a dog at a blind man.

Lisa Lisa was pretty cool. She just didn't get a big fight.

Man don't even bring that up to me. Lisa Lisa getting chumped out of that fight still rankles me. Being flung thru space as an unthinking hunk of rock was too good for that gently caress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this conversation has come up a lot in the past and all i can really say is that there's a lot of things to consider on all sides, so if anyone is going to dismiss either the opinion of 'this encounter has specific context behind it, mostly having to do with the time period it was written and how it wasn't super common at that point' or 'this encounter could very much be viewed as sexist, and in a way definitely is due to the collective knowledge people in general have and can use to interpret this' then they're genuinely either intentionally acting dense or are actually dense as hell

it's not exactly a conversation that i think the average Ignatius J. Goon will be able to solve with a handful of internet posts

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm totally going to rewatch D'Arby the Gambler when I get home in the morning. It's just soooo good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't mind when feminism in animes is brought up from time to time - but if it's going to hamper my enjoyment of an otherwise awesome series (through thinking too much about 'is this sexist and does it matter') I want to hear none of it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It will matter when a crazy person with Bruford hair tries to murder you and you didn't watch Diamond is Unbreakable to find out how to beat them but only then.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It's not NOT there, is all I'm sayin. Generally, I liked Yukako.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I mean, you can pretty much say the same thing with thinking "If this series is good why does it have to have x". You can't really divorce the idea of not having sexist writing from any particular work.

Johnny Joestar posted:

this conversation has come up a lot in the past and all i can really say is that there's a lot of things to consider on all sides, so if anyone is going to dismiss either the opinion of 'this encounter has specific context behind it, mostly having to do with the time period it was written and how it wasn't super common at that point' or 'this encounter could very much be viewed as sexist, and in a way definitely is due to the collective knowledge people in general have and can use to interpret this' then they're genuinely either intentionally acting dense or are actually dense as hell

it's not exactly a conversation that i think the average Ignatius J. Goon will be able to solve with a handful of internet posts

Yeah, pretty much. You can point out something has problems and still enjoy it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's a little sexist. You can just accept that and move on. Jojo is far from perfect, at least until part 7 which is actually perfect in every way (nah it's still kinda sexist).

But Yukako was written with good intentions. Araki Said(tm) in an interview that she was a reaction to the whole moe thing, trying to show that girls can also be angry and violent. And heck, she is way more of a threat to sweet little Koichi than either Tamami or Hazamada.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It will matter when a crazy person with Bruford hair tries to murder you and you didn't watch Diamond is Unbreakable to find out how to beat them but only then.
Good thing I have Okuyasu's haircut then...

*ZA HANDO!*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Real talk, the most sexist part of Yukako's fight is that Josuke and Okuyasu assume she's not a real threat or an enemy after she sets that chicks entire head on fire.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What are the best JoJo episodes to :350: to? Just asking for a friend.
Can confirm I watched the Pet Shop episodes high having forgotten a lot of it and it was some real intense poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that DIU started in 1992, while Stephen King's Misery was written in 1987 and had a 1990 film adaptation. The odds on Araki being inspired by it are pretty high, given his love of American horror.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think anyone here is going to tell you that you're dumb and bad for liking the series because of a sorta awkward encounter that can be interpreted many different ways, but as a piece of media that's recently become much more out in the public eye there's going to be quite a lot more people being exposed to it and forming their own opinions on it. there's opinions that can be rightly laughed at, and lord knows there's been a few in this thread in the past, but someone's interpretation of these past couple episodes is probably just as valid as the next person's whether you agree with it or not.

araki is constantly attempting to kind of 'make up' for some of the previous things he's put into the series and yukako was sort of a stepping stone along that process. that doesn't particularly change that even well-intentioned gestures can still come off as a miss. in the grand scheme of things it's pretty small, but people will still point it out because talk is cheap and words are free. as someone who actually spent money on this godforsaken website to actually change my name and avatar to a character from this series i can 100% say that there are things in it that i'm not super hot on, but the best thing to do is just to move on.

on a vaguely related note, i like how act 2 echoes looks like a little chipmunk or something while balling its tail back up into a point.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What are the best JoJo episodes to :350: to? Just asking for a friend.

Ideally, all of em. It's what I did. ( Ironically, we ran out before today's ep, tho it didn't diminish the awesomeness.) Specifically, both D'arby's, Death 13, The Sun, Oingo Boingo, anytime Zepelli is around, and the entire last third of BT.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

araki is constantly attempting to kind of 'make up' for some of the previous things he's put into the series
Emphasis mine

I don't think this is true in the least, and the actual verifiable instances of it are few and far between. Part 6's setting and protagonist are the best example of it, but it's not a constant thing and even that was as much an act of defiance than attempt to "make up" for something. It's not for getting into in the anime thread in the least, but "make up" would imply he feels he's done things wrong or regrets things, and there's no reason to believe that's true of any of JoJo outside not having a chance to make Lisa Lisa bigger from what we can talk about here, which was an editor thing that, regardless of whether you want to resist "product of the time" talk, was due to editors not wanting to see her do too much in a shonen manga. Araki does not have 100% free rein to do as he sees fit in JoJo, everyone has bosses.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 28, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay, maybe that wasn't the best word, but he's at least been quoted in the past as actually talking about it

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It was making up for a previous manga he did with a female main character, from what I recall.

Also, I'd say his constant attempt to improve is seen very clearly in his art. I don't think it's a stretch to say he wanted to do the same with his writing.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

as a woman, jojo's is awesome and i can forgive araki's missteps because araki has acknowledged them and also this was written 24 years ago

Also, while Yukako's presentation is pretty sexist, Araki has already done a reasonable job of making a tough lady character with Josuke's mom, who is not a main character and has no stand but was introduced telling some guy to get hosed.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In order of preference, I'll probably rewatch D'Arby the Gambler, Oingo Boingo, The Sun, and Death XIII.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Adelheid posted:

as a woman, jojo's is awesome and i can forgive araki's missteps because araki has acknowledged them and also this was written 24 years ago

Also, while Yukako's presentation is pretty sexist, Araki has already done a reasonable job of making a tough lady character with Josuke's mom, who is not a main character and has no stand but was introduced telling some guy to get hosed.

yeah, basically

things a little dire earlier in the series but at least you can tell he's trying as time goes on, i guess??? it's loads better than others who will just double down on everything and be weird about it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's a lot better than earlier female characters in Jojo's. (this does not mean it is perfect)

by the way, I just rewatched Dark Blue Moon episode and I gotta say, it's kinda nutty that this is the primary episode people point to as being a "nothing" episode you can skip, despite the actual fight being dull.

like this scene specifically is one of the funniest scenes in this whole show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iw3jLW4xw

this huge Tom of Finland looking fucker who stands out like a sore thumb from the other extras being all "stand? I don't get it :o???" and doing these weird poses like a confused animal in the background while they talk

jojo's dumb cigarette bluff which doesn't make any sense, because if someone said "if people who are [X] inhale even a little cigarette smoke, a vein pops up on their nose", any normal person would touch their nose even if they have no idea what [X] is

the hard cut away from his goofy eyes-rolling-up face to Jotaro and Joseph casually talking with no reaction shot whatsoever

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also if you were that girl and you heard all these weird dudes talking about someone being a "stand user" and having a strange physical reaction to smoke, wouldn't you assume "stand" is a kind of drug or something

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IronicDongz posted:

also if you were that girl and you heard all these weird dudes talking about someone being a "stand user" and having a strange physical reaction to smoke, wouldn't you assume "stand" is a kind of drug or something

for precedence, refer to the Justice fight in stardust crusaders

araki had this planned from the start

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

In order of preference, I'll probably rewatch D'Arby the Gambler, Oingo Boingo, The Sun, and Death XIII.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Half those are two-parters. Hope ya got yer hands on some big buds! :350:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers Yukako is not a major character

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The thing that does bug me about Yukako is that she just isn't grounded by the end of this story. Don't get me wrong, I realize the whole series is based on exaggerated emotions, actions, visuals, etc. That said, outside of Angelo, everyone's had pretty relatable motivations even in their shittiest moments, whether it's because they're petty dicks with too much power (Tamani and Hazamada) or Keicho's intense family issues. Yukako starts this way in the first episode. I think her mood swings during her confession, her clinginess, and her unfounded jealousy are probably familiar if you ever dealt with teenage romance. Her character really goes off the rails in the second episode, though, and her only real justification is she's just that drat nuts.

It works fine for the story, but I think it cheapens the character.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Baal posted:

I'd say she's tied with a future character for "girl appearing the most in part 4", so among female characters she is more or less the...most major one.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The most major DiU character is you, the viewer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She appears one more time for a nothing storyline that is meant to introduce an actual plot important character

She is not major unless you are putting her under five thousand qualifiers. Josuke's mom and another later girl character are more major characters than Yukako who is just a monster of the week.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Baal posted:

she is of my heart

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Stupid Sexy Hol Horse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsoMG1J7fEA&feature=youtu.be

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mod rename me to 'Boingy-boing' please

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
With how much people are hyping up the next episode I'm guessing it will involve something ridiculous, like stand-assisted cooking and/or a food fight? Is Josuke going to use his stand to unscramble some eggs?

And while I'm speculating: Echoes will evolve again at some point and gain the ability to send words through time. It turns out Koichi is responsible for all the hovering words throughout the series.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Imho Yukako was a pretty cool opponent, especially after a jobber like that guy with the wooden doll.

Also the part where she drops the cute princess voice and goes full "imma rip your loving guts apart you limp dick motherfucker" was wonderful, so while she is not a very cool 10/10 character like part II Joseph, she is quite memorable so at the very least a 7.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It's been bothering me since I first watched it, but back when Iggy is first introduced there's a sequence with Speedwagon dudes getting found out by DIO and the editing/general flow of the scenes made me think the helicopter pilots where turned to DIO's side cause they were all shady and it was weird and then they died.

Anyway, can't wait until next week!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that DIU started in 1992, while Stephen King's Misery was written in 1987 and had a 1990 film adaptation. The odds on Araki being inspired by it are pretty high, given his love of American horror.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fatal Attraction was also an influence, given how popular it was in Japan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

With how much people are hyping up the next episode I'm guessing it will involve something ridiculous, like stand-assisted cooking and/or a food fight? Is Josuke going to use his stand to unscramble some eggs?

This is the episode where the love between Josuke and Okuyasu finally bursts all over the screen and makes a huge mess everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

This is the episode where the love between Josuke and Okuyasu finally bursts all over the screen and makes a huge mess everywhere.

I got a taste of this from having them team-up in the Eyes of Heaven demo that came out recently, I want more.

IronicDongz posted:

It's a lot better than earlier female characters in Jojo's. (this does not mean it is perfect)

by the way, I just rewatched Dark Blue Moon episode and I gotta say, it's kinda nutty that this is the primary episode people point to as being a "nothing" episode you can skip, despite the actual fight being dull.

like this scene specifically is one of the funniest scenes in this whole show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iw3jLW4xw

this huge Tom of Finland looking fucker who stands out like a sore thumb from the other extras being all "stand? I don't get it :o???" and doing these weird poses like a confused animal in the background while they talk

jojo's dumb cigarette bluff which doesn't make any sense, because if someone said "if people who are [X] inhale even a little cigarette smoke, a vein pops up on their nose", any normal person would touch their nose even if they have no idea what [X] is

the hard cut away from his goofy eyes-rolling-up face to Jotaro and Joseph casually talking with no reaction shot whatsoever

I love Anne just being baffled at what these crazy adults are talking about with touching their noses and screaming and stuff

• Locked thread