Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Korhal posted:

So as I understand it the default games coop is just two players playing two different factions on the same map? I've seen a few mods that allow you both to play the same faction/share control, do any of these work yet or is it like the standard first month Total War mods that are going to break on us by turn 40?

The mod for same-faction coop pretty much just splits each regular player faction into two, so you have two player-controlled countries of the same race that otherwise work just like coop with different races. I think that particular mod was even finished before the actual game was released, and from what I've heard it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vargs thought they were hot poo poo, bringing 4000 guys to a 1500 guy fight.

Vargs got loving owned.

But they've got so many stacks and I've got so few (One fewer after an entire army got wiped out to a man :gonk:) so unless some assholes start accepting Confederation real soon, I think The Empire is hosed.

Not that I won't fight to the last man.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

For those of you playing Ork campaigns, have you tried offering the Dwarves peace pretty early on? I did it and they took the peace deal and hosed off to their mountains.

There are lots of lovely two city provinces up there, I feel like going south /west is way easier and gives you way better stuff. If you haven't actually had too many fights with the dwarves (first 10-20 turns) it shouldn't be that hard to get a peace deal.

If anything I'd expect CA to start the Orks and Dwarves with like a -500 forever diplomacy value but nope, they're just fine.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Currently at turn 60 on my Ungrim Ironfist game, pulling in a cool 5,000 gp a turn. Just finished the "Settle Debts" grudge but had to trek through Vampire Count territory to get it done. My blind explorer of fortune Axe-hew Perrison has circumnavigated the Old World to squire trade agreements with the Bretonnian minor factions and is currently mustering in Reikland to help my ally in their wars. I've recruited Thorgrim in Zhufbar to help me sack Castle Drakenhoff, but I still need more stout dwarfs to aid. Need to start looking at reshuffling the builds in my big capitals to start cranking out the high-tier units. Ungrim's down south with another lord trying to finish up the Orcs, Grimgor's just made a big push and made it all the way up to pillage Blood River Valley. It's just the Greenskins and Top Knots that are left down there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheresNoThyme posted:

Is there a better way to see your movement paths before clicking somewhere? My issue was that I was right-clicking on towns thinking my lords would take boats to get to them, and it seems this just defaults to land movement.

Hold the right mouse button with an army selected and you will have more precise control of army movement, this also lets you see how much movement you will have left in case you want to switch stances.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
That's Varg and Skaeling finally dead. No more Chaos, Orcs or Vamps. Which is just as well because the game wide dwarf-human cuddle party has just begun to crumble.

I only just bothered to recruit Balthasar Gelt, they could have went for a voiceover effect like his for Archaon and made the Everchosen about half as lame.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Rakthar posted:

For those of you playing Ork campaigns, have you tried offering the Dwarves peace pretty early on? I did it and they took the peace deal and hosed off to their mountains.

There are lots of lovely two city provinces up there, I feel like going south /west is way easier and gives you way better stuff. If you haven't actually had too many fights with the dwarves (first 10-20 turns) it shouldn't be that hard to get a peace deal.

If anything I'd expect CA to start the Orks and Dwarves with like a -500 forever diplomacy value but nope, they're just fine.

I might try that on my next Ork run cause gently caress fighting dwarves with early Ork troops. It's just not very fun. :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
For Orks, the boss tents are incredibly useful, like, build one in every day settlement useful.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
So i restarted my empire campaign to try out the wizard legendary lord and im having alot more fun. Not that Belthezar is any good compared to the maniac face smashing emperor but the northern viking guys decided to pick on me this time. So at turn 20 they declare war and send over 3 stacks of loving chaos dogs and vikings and raid the poo poo out of Marienburg and Reiksland. I spend at least 5 turns begging my neighbours to join the war against them while running away from those death stacks while also fighting off loving orcs and rebels who joined in on the fun. Thank god Sigmar that the vikings decided to siege Marienburg which was heavily fortified so it occupied their attention for a while. This gave me the chance to fill up a stack for Karl Franz (i confederated Marienburg earlier) who cleansed the Reiksland from filthy orcs and proceeded to go on a suicide mission to take out as many chaos vikings before going down in glorious battle. It proved enough to enable Belthezar to mop up the viking remnants with his own army. Now im looking to the north to wreak vengeance for my fallen (for 5 turns) emperor and sack/raze the poo poo out of those vikings. Good times.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Couple of questions:

How do I advance a line of several squads of soldiers and get them to charge and attack whatever they get close to, but in such a way that they don't bunch up and converge on one point? I've seen a few videos where its been done, but got no replies there.

Can you turn off the falling snow effect on a snowy map? Its crappy anyway, and I find it visually distracting.

Thanks in advance.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tindahbawx posted:

Couple of questions:

How do I advance a line of several squads of soldiers and get them to charge and attack whatever they get close to, but in such a way that they don't bunch up and converge on one point? I've seen a few videos where its been done, but got no replies there.

Can you turn off the falling snow effect on a snowy map? Its crappy anyway, and I find it visually distracting.

Thanks in advance.

If you group them with Ctrl+G it will lock the formation they're in. Then hold Rclick behind the enemy line until you see the formation pop up. They'll advance to that point, staying in formation, and engage what they run into. You'll want to issue the Halt order (backspace) when they engage.

Related, how do you goad an enemy into advancing on your position? I'm trying to engage Marienburg, and their army just loving sits there and will happily wait out an hour long battle time waiting for me to come to them.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Nah, as Greenskins I'm looking to conquer Karaz-a-Karak by turn 15-20ish, which is where I will set up by Goblin workshop. Blood River Valley has Beast Layers so a good place to eventually build your Boar/Spiders. Confederate Bloody Spearz for commandement (never seen them not confederate assuming we're being friendly as they freak out when the counts war dec on them). These three regions are very easy to defend and also near all starter LL quests.

The problem with going south is you end up playing pop-a-rebel-mole so I ally and make sure Crooked Moon survives long enough early on to keep what they have and roll with their own little gobbo waaaagh.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So, am I just missing something? I've failed my second game as dwarves (on normal) because the Greenskins just poo poo out like 10 stacks where I can pretty much afford 2 full stacks at any given time. It's loving retarded - and we're not talking super late game here, we're talking like turn 40. It's starting to feel like the economy just functions differently for the AI, and it's starting to kill my enjoyment of the game. And this is after going out and knocking down some of their southern settlements early in the game.

Do I need to rush their capitol, or something?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

NeurosisHead posted:

Related, how do you goad an enemy into advancing on your position? I'm trying to engage Marienburg, and their army just loving sits there and will happily wait out an hour long battle time waiting for me to come to them.
Bring a couple of artillery pieces and shoot at them, should work.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Damnit fighting these norwegians is a pain in the rear end. Theit peninsula is as long as the main continent, attrition everywhere, what a chore.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NeurosisHead posted:

If you group them with Ctrl+G it will lock the formation they're in. Then hold Rclick behind the enemy line until you see the formation pop up. They'll advance to that point, staying in formation, and engage what they run into. You'll want to issue the Halt order (backspace) when they engage.

I feel like you also need to issue the attack order on each unit after doing this still, especially if it's a unit that is multiple ranks deep. If you just hit halt, then the dudes in the back won't really try to move up and fight.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Abongination posted:

Specs:

Asus P5E Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.8ghz

4gb DDR2-800

GTX 750 Ti

What settings graphic settings do you use and how are the loading times? I've asked stuff like this in this thread before but your computer is so close to mine that I'd really like to hear. (got better processor and more RAM but slightly worse graphics card)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They tried really, really hard to get at those volley guns but.

They went through the wrong halberd unit.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tindahbawx posted:

Couple of questions:

Thanks in advance.

Hold alt when you have a group selected, and when you right-click it'll automatically make each unit pick a sensible target instead of all converging on one.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Pigbottom posted:

I was complaining about that yesterday. I understand that some people used ambush successfully, but that sounds to me more like a successful way of gaming the system than a strategic choice. It seems to me we end up being penalized for choosing to turtle up and keep a well defended small territory that can only sustain a couple of stacks and can't a afford to have extra stacks just sitting there in ambush stance.

That`s not a fact at all. You are probably just trying to poo poo on the guy but the fact is that, dwarves may be easy to begin with in combat, but their starting position is far from simple. Specially with the orcs often snowballing pretty early and burning everything to the ground.

I guess we need a sarcasm emoji

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Hold alt when you have a group selected, and when you right-click it'll automatically make each unit pick a sensible target instead of all converging on one.

Woahhhh

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

goodness posted:

It's the most tired joke done in the most boring way, which is a guy asking for help with a brand new game being told to git gud.

Thanks man, thanks for this stellar stuff.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

:aaaaa:

Is this a new thing? If not, how the gently caress has it never been in a tooltip or loading tip?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Rakthar posted:

It's the most tired joke done in the most boring way, which is a guy asking for help with a brand new game being told to git gud.

Thanks man, thanks for this stellar stuff.

I'm not clever so I have to take what I can.

That's why I said after "but really, what difficulty are you playing on" because I was not seriously ragging on him

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In the pre release streams I saw people setting a route for units in battle to have them move around to the flank or rear or the battle line rather than running straight into it. How do you do that?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

MadJackMcJack posted:

Is this a new thing? If not, how the gently caress has it never been in a tooltip or loading tip?

I'm pretty sure it's new in this game - I only know it exists because I saw a streamer do it before release. Don't think there's any documentation for it ingame.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a checkerboard. Great for dwarfs.

Ranged and artillery units happily blasting away at the fighting in front of them. This army was like 80% cavalry that all tried to go around the flanks, but in that situation it's not hard to just turn you ranged units to shoot to the sides.

Arglebargle III posted:

They tried really, really hard to get at those volley guns but.

They went through the wrong halberd unit.

I keep trying to work this kind of pike-and-shot setup, when it works it's pretty magnificent. But most of the time what happens in practice is that the AI does the correct thing, i.e. sends narrow-frontage smashy units (trolls, heroes etc) through the gaps in the line to eat my squishy handgunners/arty. I could turn the infantry to defend them, but that opens a flank wide open and doesn't solve the problem of a battered gunner unit tied up in melee.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I protect ranged units with infantry while keeping a line of fire to the enemy. I'm getting flashbacks to constantly losing tabletop games all those years back with my poor Imperial frilly sleeve mans :downs:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I'm pretty sure it's new in this game - I only know it exists because I saw a streamer do it before release. Don't think there's any documentation for it ingame.

It's somewhat hidden, it's in the "options-controls-advanced" window.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

terrorist ambulance posted:

In the pre release streams I saw people setting a route for units in battle to have them move around to the flank or rear or the battle line rather than running straight into it. How do you do that?

While holding left click, drag. You draw like you're John Madden and your units will try to take a path that approximates your scribble.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

Also if the group is LOCKED, this will be the default right-click action.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

goodness posted:

I think the smug emoji convey sarcasm.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

I keep trying to work this kind of pike-and-shot setup, when it works it's pretty magnificent. But most of the time what happens in practice is that the AI does the correct thing, i.e. sends narrow-frontage smashy units (trolls, heroes etc) through the gaps in the line to eat my squishy handgunners/arty. I could turn the infantry to defend them, but that opens a flank wide open and doesn't solve the problem of a battered gunner unit tied up in melee.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I protect ranged units with infantry while keeping a line of fire to the enemy. I'm getting flashbacks to constantly losing tabletop games all those years back with my poor Imperial frilly sleeve mans :downs:

Deploy everything narrower and deeper, the default width for ranged units is too wide. Have your own hero right there to intercept absolute fuckers like grimgor, who is the walking disaster that reduced those halberdiers to hamburgers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Guildencrantz posted:

Hold a reserve of halberdiers back.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So Grimgor decided he would try and slip a medium sized army through the back of my territory. It looked like he might succeed too. Only one problem. He had only 22 hit points left after fighting me earlier and losing most of his stack. So instead of autoresolving his attack on my smaller settlements I played it out, had my quarallers pick him off as the battle started, and then proceeded to win the battle getting "The Stuff of Legend" cheevo in the process. After clearing out his melee units I just told my melee units to chase their archers forever. It takes a while, but eventually they run out of map and get caught. Not only that, a new lord took Grimgor's place the next turn, they tried to attack the exact same settlement only they didn't have any melee units left and I ended up winning that one too because they let me pick off their artillery as the battle lines met.

Now I'm in an amazing position. Grimgor is wounded right now, Azhag has a half stack army contending with some other drawfs and I've got two provinces I can milk for a little bit. Probably the coolest thing I've done yet.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Can someone explain the Black Coach to me? I'm not sure I'm using it correctly, for such a difficult to get unit the killcount seems pretty average. On other hand I'm tempted to make an army full of black coaches, they are pretty hilarous - if you look closely, when it hits a bump on the road the coffin inside is flying up and down. The vampire in the box must be pissed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man, make sure you save manually before you leave a campaign in case you forget the next day and overwrite the auto save. :(

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
What does "ward save" do?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just started off a Chaos Warrior campaign, first thing I did was fire that punk Archaon and recruit a generic chaos lord to lead the starting army. Have razed a Norse, and a Dwarf settlement, awakened the Beornas, raided the Eastern Oblast and filled the up the army with Chaos Warriors replacing the Marauders. I think this could be fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

E.Ignore me, answer literally higher up on the same page

Scrub control question: what is the best way to order groups to attack when they are in formation? I believe the guide that Kim posted recommended just walking them forward and letting them attack whoever they run into, but I don't get charge bonus that way. Do I need to break ranks and have them double click attack to charge, or is there another way?

I tried doing the "group attack" command but it usually turns into a clusterfuck as they just charge off after whoever they want, including running past an obvious target on the front line to go chase down some archers in the back

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

What does "ward save" do?

Gives a certain amount of damage resistance indicated by the item or ability.

• Locked thread