Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress yes I love absurd exaggerations in my arguments.

If its absurd then why is everyone growing one crop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thor-Stryker posted:

Are you? I'm not.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Me either.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm not!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

I grow a bit of everything every season so your everyone is a fallacy.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

the only crop i'm growing is dank nuggz

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Trebuchet King posted:

the only crop i'm growing is dank nuggz

I did notice the distinct lack of fried-chicken in this game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you're min/maxing this game and getting outraged that everything isn't balanced around that you are playing the game wrong and should probably reexamine your priorities in life.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
The complete exclusion of meat as a product also produces some interesting results. Like what a pig would be doing on a farm if not for meat.

But it's probably better for the tone of the game to keep it that way.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 28, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zephyrine posted:

The complete exclusion of meat as a product also produces some interesting results. Like what a pig would be doing on a farm if not for meat.

Truffles, obviously, just like in real life.

And I will hear no more on the subject.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Truffles, obviously, just like in real life.

And I will hear no more on the subject.

Feed them monster meat so then they will mutate and you can get their loot without taking too much bad karma.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Zephyrine posted:

Well, there is that big ol' Barbeque the town throws up in Autumn.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're min/maxing this game and getting outraged that everything isn't balanced around that you are playing the game wrong and should probably reexamine your priorities in life.

But then things like starfruit and ancient fruit exists practically outside of the game for how they are both "fantasy objects" with no real life counterpart who's sole purpose is to break the economy. Yes I know there's a real fruit called starfruit but that's not what you're growing in the game.

It might have made more sense if neither of the two could be used with the seed maker. If they survived through winter on their own and if their primary purpose was to be an ingredient in either a powerful type of food or some item(s).

The green house should just be scrapped all together. Or there should be specific profitable crops that only grow in the green house and not during the winter.

The green house should also have its own irrigation system because the sprinklers match the soil very poorly for any sort of pattern and they get in the way when planting and harvesting.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I hear that if you share a Starfruit with your spouse, you'll never divorce them.

Also you gotta beat monsters to death with your keyring.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's important to have lots of ways you can (completely optionally) break the grind because lots of players hate grinding.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I guess I just don't understand why people feel the need to game so hard in a game like this. Call it unbalanced if you want, but you make it easy by disregarding the shittier crops because they have "no use". If you feel that strongly though, why not tweet CA with your concerns?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I don't really care about having it fixed, but I do agree it seems backwards to have the recurring crops be the most profitable. Having these crops payout less while requiring less effort makes more sense.

*Gets back to growing 1 of almost everything in the greenhouse to treat the crops like Pokemon*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I want a mod where an arsonist will randomly burn your fields.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

I want a mod where an Pierre will randomly burn your fields, forcing you to buy more seeds from him

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't this why you sometimes find dead crops?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Roro posted:

Isn't this why you sometimes find dead crops?

I think that's some bug where sprinklers fail to irrigate certain tiles and the crops simply dry out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
No way, I've done crops manually and I've had random ones die on tiles that were absolutely watered.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Not watering crops won't kill them, just delay growth. I think it's lightning that randomly kills the occasional crop.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It isn't lightning, either, though, because that just completely deletes the crop. I know what he means because I've seen it a number of times, a tile will just randomly wither like it was planted in the wrong season or something.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's important to have lots of ways you can (completely optionally) break the grind because lots of players hate grinding.

Do you know, that's actually a really fair way of looking at it. I shouldn't be complaining that the game has an easy mode and I figured it out. You've unironically changed my stance with a valid point on an internet forum. And the subject was video games.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

That's odd. I had a whole five year play through and it never happened once. The next playthrough it happened quite a lot. Often on the same tiles.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I've had it happen a lot in my main file (Year 3 Fall) but not yet on my new file (only Year 1 Fall), so I don't know if it's more common the longer you play a file or what. It's never enough to annoy me though, just a weird quirk. I just suck up and buy/make another seed.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Ape might have fixed player spouses zooming off through a wall like the Koolaid Man but my dude's kids and cat will not stop doing it. There are no mods active in this screenshot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

That's realistic cat behavior.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I have over a hundred hours logged in this single player game which is beyond amazing. For a game made by one person that cost only $20 no one has the right to complain about any balancing issues. The game is exceptional but for one man it's impossible to make the perfect game. I like it the way it is too. I would not want a dirt farmer simulator where I'm barely making rent selling potatoes.

It's all just nitpicking if you don't like the balance mod the game! I could see a second playthrough rebalancing mod being potentially interesting.

Now just waiting for some content patches and a tractor so I can start playing again.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

DropsySufferer posted:

I have over a hundred hours logged in this single player game which is beyond amazing. For a game made by one person that cost only $20 no one has the right to complain about any balancing issues. The game is exceptional but for one man it's impossible to make the perfect game. I like it the way it is too. I would not want a dirt farmer simulator where I'm barely making rent selling potatoes.

It's all just nitpicking if you don't like the balance mod the game! I could see a second playthrough rebalancing mod being potentially interesting.

Now just waiting for some content patches and a tractor so I can start playing again.

No need to lash out at people for having a discussion. A tractor or some form of auto harvester/planter would be great

Multi-harvest crops are already superior in every way possible but not having to replant them makes them even more so.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Haskell9 posted:

Ape might have fixed player spouses zooming off through a wall like the Koolaid Man but my dude's kids and cat will not stop doing it. There are no mods active in this screenshot.

I thought Dirk Gently solved this case.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Boo hoo I broke a video game 75 hours in after reading every spreadsheet about it on the internet

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Goons are pretty bad at this chill farming game

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i didnt read the slapfight about minmaxing. any updates on multiplayer?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

DropsySufferer posted:

I would not want a dirt farmer simulator where I'm barely making rent selling potatoes.

That gives me an idea for a new hard mode: Tenant farmer. JojaMart have bought your grandfathers land and lease you a small sub-plot of dirt so infertile only potatoes can be grown there. The rest of the farm is theirs and you have to tend to their cash crops otherwise you're evicted.

The goal is to save enough to eventually buy the farm. But watch out a new event called the potato blight can hit your crops and wipe them out.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 28, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Marenghi posted:

That gives me an idea for a new hard mode: Tenant farmer. JojaMart have bought your grandfathers land and lease you a small sub-plot of dirt so infertile only potatoes can be grown there. The rest of the farm is theirs and you have to tend to their cash crops otherwise you're evicted.

A new event, the potato blight, can hit your crops and wipe them out.

a dark souls mode. v nice

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hold on I've got a killer idea for a raid boss that's a giant pumpkin

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bought this game today and it's very charming so far. Just made it through my first week and I'm quite enjoying myself. Elliott is very handsome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I bought this game today and it's very charming so far. Just made it through my first week and I'm quite enjoying myself. Elliott is very handsome

I can't believe its not Fabio