Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw yeah, got my completely lovely meaningless trinket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Endorph posted:

hey, fun fact about the protobelt: the rockets are coded as minions

yes

yes, that does mean they can block blitz hooks

i'm pretty sure taliyah wall is also coded as minions, unless the minimap is lying to me

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

yes

:riot:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

pretty jealous as a kassadin afficionado

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kashuno posted:

:laffo: what the gently caress riot

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

i'm pretty sure taliyah wall is also coded as minions, unless the minimap is lying to me

You'd think after having this problem with almost every hero with temp minions or projectiles that Riot would double-check this poo poo beforehand.

Does this mean enemy Alistars get their heals immediately reset/enemy trundles get a quick chunk of healing? Because those are the common bugs for when Riot does this

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm imagining they have a little bit of documentation. Like comment code with "is a minion, already added exception for blitz, nunu, but not gp for gold reasons" and white boards with minion logic loops .

The janitor wipes of the corner with explaining the Rengar bugs to pull a Good Will Hunting gag.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

It does feel pretty good but I wish they shifted the cost more towards getting S ranks than getting lucky with boxes.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Coded as means coded as objects, doesn't sound as funny when you say it like that though

Everything is basically coded as an object except the map, champs and turrets (which are actually champions)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

yes

Fun fact about Swain's new bird Q, I'm 99% sure it blocks sion ult if he directly hits the bird in the middle of it.

The real question is does trundle get healing from protobelt and taliyah wall going away?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gibberish posted:

Coded as means coded as objects, doesn't sound as funny when you say it like that though

Everything is basically coded as an object except the map, champs and turrets (which are actually champions)
No actually, in the old days a lot of things were literally coded as minions that sometimes would glitch out and you could kill and move around.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
As in like, literally, tryndamere could spin through singed's poison and some walls of the map and get cs

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

As in like, literally, tryndamere could spin through singed's poison and some walls of the map and get cs

Ah yes, the good old days where Trynd could farm up Xerath Q's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAm_JC2f1E

That video also reminded me of the good old days of the 9 health pot start. This game has had a lot of dumb things over the years.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
lol riot people are so egotistical it's nuts

https://twitter.com/JanookOnline/status/735603561392943105

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm pretty sure riot has a very serious cult culture the way apple and certain other companies do.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

He wouldn't be wrong if Dota wasn't ripping off League with their last 4 patches

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

No actually, in the old days a lot of things were literally coded as minions that sometimes would glitch out and you could kill and move around.

what he said isn't wrong. everything is "coded as a minion" because presumably league works exactly like wc3 did, everything in the database starts as a basic object (with values like hp and allowed targeting) and then is subclassed to be a tree or whatever. the issue with league is that such a basic computer science concept has been bungled in such a way they don't seem to support any kind of subclassing and rather relies on a bunch of variables that say CHAMP = NO DUMMY = YES MINION = NO and so on. the reason they (presumably) can't fix such a basic issue is that all their other code relies on checking these variables so they would have to change EVERYTHING to instead of looking for the CHAMP = YES variable instead be isclass(champ) = yes or whatever.

the issues with stuff like singed poison healing trundle is because they probably didn't even have a specific MINION = YES variable and instead assume that something is a minion unless stated otherwise. singed cloud probably didn't declare itself properly (even though it was immortal and invulnerable) and they also don't have a distinction between removing and killing a unit like wc3 had, so in this case trundle just stands near singed, cloud duration expires and they're killed which triggers the passive (that doesn't make any distinction between what the unit expiring actually is.)

on every spell and every unit you have two potential cases where the entire thing breaks down (spell doesn't consider what type of unit it effects, unit isn't flagged properly.) and that assumes there isn't any other flags that need to be set for some kind of insane legacy reason that could also break everything.

Methanar posted:

I'm pretty sure riot has a very serious cult culture the way apple and certain other companies do.

as someone that works with apple, yeah its similar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/JanookOnline/status/735913462367326208

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah i'm glad riot keeps the moba genre evolving with innovative concepts like rng dragons lol

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
DOTA still has stupid poo poo like turn rates and I cannot be bothered with dealing with stuff that clunky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you don't wanna play a game with turn rates that's fine but turn rates aren't really bad design, your guy taking a bit of time to turn around is a core part of the game that it is designed around

like i play lol over dota for pretty much exactly those reasons - clunky and punishing mechanics - but riot didn't write the book on good game design and them acting like they're the mozarts of game designs for coming up with concepts like 'maybe you should be able to tell what a skill is doing' after 4 years of making a game is embarrassing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alternative cheap shot post: replays and sandbox mode

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah i would say they put a lot of focus into making league feel fun to play, but they basically have no idea how to actually design and balance the game. games are kinda supposed to be fun so im glad they did that, but the part where the game is actually "well designed" is still a far ways off. i think they're starting to get closer as the people that used to design the game have all been stuffed into a closet in the back of the building but its a very slow process.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Radical posted:

yeah i would say they put a lot of focus into making league feel fun to play, but they basically have no idea how to actually design and balance the game. games are kinda supposed to be fun so im glad they did that, but the part where the game is actually "well designed" is still a far ways off. i think they're starting to get closer as the people that used to design the game have all been stuffed into a closet in the back of the building but its a very slow process.

on the other hand they just released a champ which has the loving design of a season 2 or 3 champ sooo...

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont think they would have released a champ with an ability that punishes dashes in season 2 or 3.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I honestly have no idea what the hell that comment is referencing because everything but her W is pretty unique in some way.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
She feels like a mishmash of abilities and a useless passive, a lot different than the more recent champs and reworks which have a more solid and cohesive kits

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Her kit is cohesive it's just badly executed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me, and this is just me, all of the champs are bad and I hate them and I hate the dragon and I hate everything being balanced for esport matches and I hate no targeted anything and I hate that big wrath is called a "gromp" but I don't think it's unfair to call it more advanced than big brown boulder fighting against it's own turn radius on a field of brown gravy in order to to use it's 9 second stun on the little brown elf.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its pretty silly to say Dota2 has been ripping off League in recent patches, considering that the entire MOBA genre is incestuous as hell.

I mean, Infinite Crisis copied a bunch of LoL concepts, then DotA2 copied an Infinite Crisis hero design (Nightmare Superman) for Vengeful Spirits' rework, then LoL started adding voice interactions because people loved it in DotA2, and Smite copied LoL's summoner spells, but later on League copied integral aspects of a Smite burst support (Janus) for Bard, and....

E: Hell, not only was LoL started with a bunch of imitations of Dota2 heroes (Yi was Juggernaut with Lycan's ult, and with his spin moved to Garen), but they also continued to copy DotA2 skills (Fiona originally had a full copy of Juggernaut's ult and a very watered down version of Counterstrike), and still do to this day (Sol's built around Lo's rotating orb concept).

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 28, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also turn rates bother me a lot (to the point that I dont play DotA2 much) but the game is balanced around them and Dota2 itself has a lot of nice features that a "more evolved" game should really have.

Like not using Adobe Air, a DoA platform that is slow and ckunky and prone to memory leaks, timeouts, and is generally hosed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DotA is a fun game but I think it's fair to point out it was designed around the limitations of a completely different game and a lot of the design and balance decisions were made within those limitations and weaknesses and since have become an intractable part of the system. LoL has a ton of problems but it does benefit from (to some degree) not having that shackle. Both games suffer from "it's always been like this so we can't change it" syndrome though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elfgames posted:

She feels like a mishmash of abilities and a useless passive, a lot different than the more recent champs and reworks which have a more solid and cohesive kits
the recent champs have been terrible garbage and all the season 2/3 champs were way better

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

the recent champs have been terrible garbage and all the season 2/3 champs were way better

Was season 2 when stuff like orianna, rumble, Lee sin were released because those are still some of the best designs in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Was season 2 when stuff like orianna, rumble, Lee sin were released because those are still some of the best designs in the game
That was a little before Season 2. Season 2/3 had plenty of good champs tho, like Nautilus, Lulu, Jinx, and Thresh.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

That was a little before Season 2. Season 2/3 had plenty of good champs tho, like Nautilus, Lulu, Jinx, and Thresh.

I started in season 4 and jinx was new so that doesn't seem right but yeah those others are good

Edit whoops I'm dumb thought we were talking about just s2

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
season 3 was the best by far imo

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'd have to look at dates but to me the best period was when they halved the champ release schedule but before it got to current day where they release 4 a year. When they were releasing every 2 weeks or whatever but after they already had like 60 champs and it was all uninspired crap like ziggs... that was the worst period.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'd have to look at dates but to me the best period was when they halved the champ release schedule but before it got to current day where they release 4 a year. When they were releasing every 2 weeks or whatever but after they already had like 60 champs and it was all uninspired crap like ziggs... that was the worst period.

You are generally correct except that Ziggs is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

past year of champs:

Braum: Good solid tank support with a clear and cohesive kit. 8/10

Gnar: Solid transform champion. It sucks feeling a little underpowered if you go into a fight with an empty rage meter but that's your own fault most of the time. 7.5/10

Azir: Janky and overtuned but he has cool outplay potential and a really fun to use kit, and he's so squishy that he naturally has some counterplay. 7/10

Kalista: Feels really gimmicky and her flutter-step thing has a lot of clunk to it but she's alright. 6.5/10

Rek'Sai: Just feels like they came up with the tunnel thing and then gave her a bunch of random abilities to fill up the rest of her slots. The tunnel thing is a fun gimmick though. 6/10

Bard: He feels like they kind of just combined all the most out there abilities they had and accidentally made them all cohesive with each other. Like him stunning people as they pop out of his journey doesn't *feel* intentional, but it's in there and it works. 7.5/10

Ekko: poo poo from an anus. 0/10

Tahm: Cool idea for a champ but he's just so tanky and has so many random benefits slapped onto him that he's frustrating to play against. 4.5/10

Kindred: They wanted a marksman in the jungle so they just gave her a ton of random %health gimmicks and crowbarred her into counter-jungling to try and make it all work, and lamb's respite is a pretty random ultimate to give a damage focused jungler and only really fits her kit when you're fighting over dragon or baron. She sort of works, but it's not the most elegant design. 5.5/10

Illaoi: 'hey, let's make a champion who insta-kills you if you're an idiot and who is utterly useless if you just walk away from her.' 'brilliant.' 3/10

Jhin: His kit works out decently and I like how his root works. The giant block of text on his passive is a little goofy but it all comes together to make a worthwhile addition to the game. 7/10

Aurelion Sol: He has a cool kit that works well together but his visuals are super bad and you never feel like you're actually contributing. It's kind of a shame since if his visuals were better he'd be the best champ since Bard. 6/10

Taliyah: Worked Ground is a moronic ability and the way her WE combo works is stupid as well, which is a shame because otherwise she's a decent champion with a simple but unique kit. 5/10

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2016

• Locked thread