Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

itt: people mad about others' disposable income

really, for y'all plain and simple:
if you have the money for it and want it, then buy it
if you have the money for it but don't want it, then don't buy it
if you don't have the money for it but want it, then you cannot buy it
if you don't have the money for it and don't want it, then you cannot buy it

i have laid out my postulates for video card buying. these rules are set in stone and are not up for interpretation. all rights reserved forums poster smithereens 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

froody guy posted:

Seriously guys how can you preorder these things before having seen how the 1070 copes? And I mean, if it wasn't for the VR uber-boost I'd get one of those super fancy 980ti every day of the week. These 1080 are showing huge limitations in oc'ability and severe issues with temp and throttling. Ok, if you get a custom one you should be fine but boy they cost a ludicrous amount.

I don't trust developers to optimize well so I want as much power as possible to brute-force games with.

Also 1440p.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Smithereens posted:

i have laid out my postulates for video card buying. these rules are set in stone and are not up for interpretation. all rights reserved forums poster smithereens 2016.

I don't give a poo poo about other people's income dude, I mean I'm a Shart Shitizen fan because of how many loving idiots are throwing their own lives (and wives) into it. Just I tend to silently laugh at them. May you tolerate this instead of calling it "be mad"? Oh well anyway, each to his own I guess. I'll keep on laughing at honorabru workers throwing 800€ at some bullshit preorder with not even a trustable delivery date you can keep on calling me mad. We're all good at the end right?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Smithereens posted:

i've noticed a consistent defense mechanism from people with enough money that they can afford to make really dumb financial decisions, where any criticism of said poor financial skills is interpreted as people being really mad and envious of their money. it's pretty funny

that said if you are one of these people please buy amd cards, they really need the cash

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I can order a 1080 without seeing how the 1070 copes due to reasons like the Doom video posted earlier.

On an mildly OC'd 1080, you get 60+ fps on Doom fully maxed out at 4k. But there isn't a ton of headroom. 60+ fps really translates to 60-75 fps (I saw one blip in the video where it momentarily dropped down to 54 fps.)

So, a 1080 (OC'd a tiny bit), hits the minimum magical FPS level on a brand new AAA title maxed out at 4k. That means that the 1070, no matter how great the value is, won't.

Since I have a 4k display and also plan on using it for VR where more FPS is always really better, I can be very confident that the 1070 (while likely murdering 1080p and 1440p gaming) isn't going to hit my needs.

It's this. This is the sensible logic.

If you have a 4k monitor then a 1080 is good, but it certainly isn't overkill. Assuming the 1070 isn't somehow better than the 1080 I've already decided that the performance I want means buying the top end card.

If you aren't going to be gaming in 4k my money would absolutely be on the 1070 being the best price option.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I want them to hurry the hell up with vr SLI drivers so I can actually see what's up.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Is the Asus Strix the current leader in the "coming very shortly" set of 1080 card?

I'm building a new gaming system to go with my Oculus Rift that arrives on Tuesday and had been planning on a FE card to get up and running as quickly as possible. Unfortunately I cancelled the MSI preorder I was able to get with Amazon in order to get a FE direct from EVGA (with their step-up program), but EVGA cancelled my order without any notice because I was having it shipped to a UPS store.

I'm pretty sure just pulling the GTX 660 from my old system isn't going to cut the VR mustard, so I'm looking at what's likely to be available next. If I have to delay, I might as well get both a nicer and cheaper card than the 1080FE.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

froody guy posted:

Oh yeah, numbers, divisions, percentage. Science. We'll see in actual tests like....

That's not a manually overclocked card dude, that's a mild factory OCed card. No 980ti came anywhere close to a 30% OC in a factory OCed card, either, you had to do it yourself. There's probably another 300mhz easy left on the table for that Strix card.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

froody guy posted:

I don't give a poo poo about other people's income dude, I mean I'm a Shart Shitizen fan because of how many loving idiots are throwing their own lives (and wives) into it. Just I tend to silently laugh at them. May you tolerate this instead of calling it "be mad"? Oh well anyway, each to his own I guess. I'll keep on laughing at honorabru workers throwing 800€ at some bullshit preorder with not even a trustable delivery date you can keep on calling me mad. We're all good at the end right?

the issue isn't that you are silently laughing to yourself, but are pretty much telling people they are dumb for spending their munnies on whatever they want? if you can voice your bad opinion, i think it's fair to voice my good opinion.

HMS Boromir posted:

i've noticed a consistent defense mechanism from people with enough money that they can afford to make really dumb financial decisions, where any criticism of said poor financial skills is interpreted as people being really mad and envious of their money. it's pretty funny

that said if you are one of these people please buy amd cards, they really need the cash

is explaining why human adults can make their own decisions on buying a video card within their budget considered a defense mechanism? if you can afford it and it makes you happy, i really don't think that buying something expensive is a dumb financial decision, but hey i bought some thai food today instead of eating 10 cent ramen... man i sure am making horrible financial decisions thanks for enlightening me on the path to Smart Financial Decisions®

Rite Of Massage fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 28, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fordan posted:

Is the Asus Strix the current leader in the "coming very shortly" set of 1080 card?

As far as I'm aware none of the AIB's have set actual dates for when their custom PCB cards will be hitting the streets. The assumption is "soon" (as in a couple of weeks), but which one hits when right now is unknown. Same with even the FE's: with the first batch sold out, when the next wave is going to appear has yet to be mentioned.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Smithereens posted:

is explaining why human adults can make their own decisions on buying a video card within their budget considered a defense mechanism? if you can afford it and it makes you happy, i really don't think that buying something expensive is a dumb financial decision, but hey i bought some thai food today instead of eating 10 cent ramen... man i sure am making horrible financial decisions thanks for enlightening me on the path to Smart Financial Decisions®

i mean, spend all your money on cool 4k pixels as much as you like, ive just noticed that the default reaction to someone laughing at doing something like that seems to be to accuse them of being mad about how rich they are and i find it pretty funny. not calling you out or anything, i just quoted your post because it was what made me think of it

i bought ice cream yesterday and that was a dumb financial and health decision, i wouldn't accuse someone who told me that of being envious of my $3 and access to a supermarket

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrDork posted:

As far as I'm aware none of the AIB's have set actual dates for when their custom PCB cards will be hitting the streets. The assumption is "soon" (as in a couple of weeks), but which one hits when right now is unknown. Same with even the FE's: with the first batch sold out, when the next wave is going to appear has yet to be mentioned.

Overclockers.co.uk have Friday 3rd as their date.

e: \\/\/ would you say 'I have a 4k screen' is a fair answer to the question?

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 28, 2016

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Smithereens posted:

the issue isn't that you are silently laughing to yourself, but are pretty much telling people they are dumb for spending their munnies on whatever they want? if you can voice your bad opinion, i think it's fair to voice my good opinion.
I think I voiced my (good or bad) opinion in the first half of the first line of the first post

quote:

Seriously guys how can you preorder these things before having seen how the 1070 copes?

but it looks like I hit some nerves :v:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

froody guy posted:

How many months would you have to save your turnip ration in order to afford a 1080?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Whoever the silently laughing at people poster is, some really good advice would be to go outside.

Just for a bit. Cos that's loving weird.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

ItBurns posted:

How many months would you have to save your turnip ration in order to afford a 1080?

Gross. I like that. Bitch. :haw:

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

i mean, spend all your money on cool 4k pixels as much as you like, ive just noticed that the default reaction to someone laughing at doing something like that seems to be to accuse them of being mad about how rich they are and i find it pretty funny. not calling you out or anything, i just quoted your post because it was what made me think of it

i bought ice cream yesterday and that was a dumb financial and health decision, i wouldn't accuse someone who told me that of being envious of my $3 and access to a supermarket

i don't know about you guys, but i'm a pc hobbyist and enjoy buying new hardware. i don't get why you would be laughing at someone who is buying computer parts that they want and enjoy within their budget. that sort of thing reeks of misplaced anger.

the whole reason these gtx 1080s are getting dumped on is because of the price increase for the reference and scarcity. if i didn't have access to a supermicrocenter and there was new 14nm finfet ice cream technology on top of a shortage, i'd be p. mad and jealous of people who got a taste if i actually had a reason to use it. i feel like most people making fun of new tech adopters are flaming others as a coping mechanism to hide not being able to find or afford one, but maybe i'm being too honest with my own feelings.

froody guy posted:

I think I voiced my (good or bad) opinion in the first half of the first line of the first post

i don't plan on preordering anything, but if someone has $800USD (approximately a year's salary in euros) sitting around and wants to get a card whenever it comes out, why are you the one getting uppity about it? just enjoy the value of your super sick maxwell and let other people enjoy their 4k VR hentai in peace.

full disclosure: i bought a GTX 1080 and sold it to some financially irresponsible man for skrilla

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Oh look someone who talks benchmarks instead of "I do what I want with my money" and says.... well not gonna spoil it for you lads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_0SPvy_4o

froody guy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 28, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

froody guy posted:

Oh look someone who talks benchmarks instead of "I do what I want with my money" and says.... well not gonna spoil it for you lads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_0SPvy_4o

Yes, the 1080 is faster in every single benchmark.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Remember guys:

1070 > 980ti
2x980ti > 1080 when using applications that can leverage sli aka not VR)

And if the 980ti drops below 400 you can upgrade your 980ti with a second one and beat out a 1080.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

ItBurns posted:

Yes, the 1080 is faster in every single benchmark.

You are the best :neckbeard:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's probably too soon to make any bold statements about the relative over clocking capabilities of the 1080 because we haven't seen someone go ham on a custom pcb with good power. Probably next week

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

I think you quoted the wrong post lol. That really does cover all the bases...

And we are talking about video cards anyway. Most people would be very confused at you for saying you made a sensible financial decision when buying your video card.

Anyways, I don't have to agree or disagree with anybody's decision to buy a video card and frankly neither should basically anybody. I can laugh at someone buying a $1400 founders edition 1080 on ebay, but even that fits firmly into a "I want it and can afford it so I bought it" category and its not even a waste - somebody else now has that money :v:.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I think you quoted the wrong post lol. That really does cover all the bases...

And we are talking about video cards anyway. Most people would be very confused at you for saying you made a sensible financial decision when buying your video card.

Anyways, I don't have to agree or disagree with anybody's decision to buy a video card and frankly neither should basically anybody. I can laugh at someone buying a $1400 founders edition 1080 on ebay, but even that fits firmly into a "I want it and can afford it so I bought it" category and its not even a waste - somebody else now has that money :v:.

Just because internet makes people look weird (hey I'm looking at ya) I said I was laughing at people throwing grands at Shart Shitizen not at the 1080 if they feel it's worth that money. Even if it's not worth 800€ and everybody knows it ok? Just because I'm a dick doesn't mean I'm that dick you know.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 28, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, waiting for AMD land is basically just endless tumbleweeds rolling into and out of frame, occasionally accented by a sad trombone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And a June 28th NDA date on the Macau stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Smithereens posted:

I have the money but I only kind of want it because I only rebuilt my desktop like a month and a half ago so it all has that new hardware smell on it still, what do I do

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I have the money but I only kind of want it because I only rebuilt my desktop like a month and a half ago so it all has that new hardware smell on it still, what do I do

Sell your old card and get the new one over and over for forever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Froody, people are responding to you as if you were mad because your posting comes off as mad, if you don't want to come off as mad post better IMO.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you don't live off a single cup of rice a day then you are spending too much on food and not enough on video cards

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ItBurns posted:

Can confirm.

Honestly people who buy a 1080? Go for it. People who buy a 1080 when they only buy a card every four years? Consider how much more bang for the buck you'd get by buying a 1070 and then 1170. You'd come out ahead when your big card would be struggling most. But buying suff like this is literally buying satisfaction so buy whatever you want (you fuckers already killed AMD).

It takes a really spendy budget for the 1080 to make sense so those of us who get off on financial min-maxing are going to get hurt watching all the people who want to put those extra dollars into getting the best and getting that dopamine pumping action going right now. Some folks would rather have The Best (from three years ago) than a newer faster card no matter how much people like me go on about the budgeting efficiency.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ItBurns posted:

I am super loving lazy though and I would just end up buying the new one and promising myself I'd get around to selling the old one and then here I am with literally 4 old PC cases full of hardware I replaced over the last 15 years that I never got round to selling and am going to end up taking to a dump somewhere soon.

There's an i7 920 in there somewhere.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
AMD's problems are largely AMD's fault, no sense in blaming consumers for it.

Also you overestimate how bad of a price/performance ratio the 1080 is in the larger picture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If AMD were the ones with the majority share, we'd all look at their recent offerings and say "if they had some competition they wouldn't phone it in with these lovely rebrands and size gimmicks".

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
I am jealous of people who will buy the 1080 and will experience that dopamine rush, I guess jealously regarding such people is what I get for not studying hard in high school.

Speaking of us min/maxing poors, the most cost efficient thing IMO is to stay at 1080p till the next nvidia generation when 4k displays and cards that can drive them will be cheaper. I use a Vizio tv I bought earlier this year (2015, 1080p, vizio e series) and already its 2016 replacement is 4K. Maybe the next edition will have HDR. If only TV manufacturers cared more about enabling greater than 60hz input from PCs to their panels , because using a big screen is really immersive and 60hz is the only limitation.

But for now hoping for (true) 4gb 970 performance level card from Amd or Nvidia for $140 or thereabouts. :pray:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

objects in mirror posted:

I am jealous of people who will buy the 1080 and will experience that dopamine rush, I guess jealously regarding such people is what I get for not studying hard in high school.

Speaking of us min/maxing poors, the most cost efficient thing IMO is to stay at 1080p till the next nvidia generation when 4k displays and cards that can drive them will be cheaper. I use a Vizio tv I bought earlier this year (2015, 1080p, vizio e series) and already its 2016 replacement is 4K. Maybe the next edition will have HDR. If only TV manufacturers cared more about enabling greater than 60hz input from PCs to their panels , because using a big screen is really immersive and 60hz is the only limitation.

But for now hoping for (true) 4gb 970 performance level card from Amd or Nvidia for $140 or thereabouts. :pray:

Nah, better to wait until 68" 8k 240Hz OLED displays are $50 and you can drive three of them with a single $120 card.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

anyone who buys a founder's edition to actually keep it and not trade it in for something better/actually need a blower cooler in the slim chance nobody else makes one/ebay scalp like a scumbag :capitalism: is a dumbass imho

regardless, 1080's the best right now and if you want to spend $600 each year, why not? you're probably going to trade it in for a 1080ti before the 1080 rapidly depreciates.

otherwise, you're better off bemoaning the lack of options in the 200-400 range (which, if shitslinging rumors are true, is a problem that will manifest itself real soon). or that Nvidia isn't going to put out a titan that's a GP100, for those of you who want to SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY :homebrew:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 28, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I ordered the FE because I have a small ITX case and need a blower cooler. I want a powerful single card solution to drive an ultra wide 3440 x 1440 resolution above 60fps in games like Witcher 3 at max settings. No other video card can do this. The 1080 barely squeaks by 60fps average, which means the 1070 probably wont be enough unless its overclocked balls to the wall. I can afford the 1080. I don't see whats the issue.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Just curious but can you show me where you can buy a 1080 for 600$? Coz newegg still has none and the 980ti costs about 600-650$ so I'm a little confused. Anyway if the 1080 was 600€ I'd run for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wait 4 months when the paper launch finally stops