Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I would suggest waiting for the CSL lineup from Fanatec, but it's been months since they announced anything besides the fact that it will eventually exist so who knows. If you want a load cell, CSPv3 is best right now. Otherwise the T3PA or whatever from ThrustMaster is supposed to be good.

TM may be releasing a new higher end pedal set to go with that monster wheel base that nobody knows the specs of: could have a load cell there, and it'll probably be available in the next month or three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Are the Fanatec Clubsport V3 still the goto pedals? Anything better come out or getting ready to come out that I should wait for? I'd be using them with a g27 which I will likely replace in the near future, figured I'd start with better pedals first.

I've had the V3s for ~7 months and they haven't had any issues, which is more than I can say for the rest of my Fanatec gear. They're good pedals but I'm kinda fed up with Fanatec's lovely QA and support so when it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go with Heuskinveld or HPP.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Eyud posted:

I've had the V3s for ~7 months and they haven't had any issues, which is more than I can say for the rest of my Fanatec gear. They're good pedals but I'm kinda fed up with Fanatec's lovely QA and support so when it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go with Heuskinveld or HPP.
Those definitely look nice but are a way too much for what I would feel comfortable paying. Even the $300 for the V3's are pushing my limit, tbh. I enjoy sim racing but I'm not super hardcore about it.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I would suggest waiting for the CSL lineup from Fanatec, but it's been months since they announced anything besides the fact that it will eventually exist so who knows. If you want a load cell, CSPv3 is best right now. Otherwise the T3PA or whatever from ThrustMaster is supposed to be good.

TM may be releasing a new higher end pedal set to go with that monster wheel base that nobody knows the specs of: could have a load cell there, and it'll probably be available in the next month or three.

Luckily it looks like the V3's are backordered until 6/20, so that's gonna give me some time to see if either release or announce anything before then. The one thing that has made me hesitant with Thrustmaster is I've read a lot of people complaining about the support and QA in random places online. Granted, it's always the negativity that gets posted and Fanatec has their owns issues as well, but just with my quick research I've done the last week or so it seemed like TM had more.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
find used csr elites or used v2s

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Or mod your g27 pedals with a loadcell

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

OhsH posted:

find used csr elites or used v2s

That was my initial thought, but I'd rather just buy new ones,tbh. I don't plan on really ever upgrading whichever ones I choose to get (I said that with my g27 too, though) One thing about the V3's that seemed kinda cool and put it over the TM ones for me was the rumble for the brake/gas pedal and the optional Damper Kit.

Norns posted:

Or mod your g27 pedals with a loadcell

Yeah I was reading up on that too. I'm not great at that kinda stuff and I have more money that I do free time, so I'd rather just buy something to replace my 27 pedals all together instead of putting $140 into them.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 26, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

(I said that with my g27 too, though)

Live your life, my friend.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The rumble isn't that great on the V3s. I forget it's off when I forget to enable it half the time.

Damper is okay for the break pedal, but I don't recommend it for gas.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

One thing about the V3's that seemed kinda cool and put it over the TM ones for me was the rumble for the brake/gas pedal and the optional Damper Kit.

The vibration motors on the V3s are fairly useless, IMO. It's really hard to feel anything from them, especially if you wear shoes when you race. And not many games actually support them.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Norns posted:

The rumble isn't that great on the V3s. I forget it's off when I forget to enable it half the time.

Damper is okay for the break pedal, but I don't recommend it for gas.

Eyud posted:

The vibration motors on the V3s are fairly useless, IMO. It's really hard to feel anything from them, especially if you wear shoes when you race. And not many games actually support them.

That sucks about the rumble, seems like it would be a neat feature if implemented a bit more strongly or something. And yeah, I don't plan on getting the damper for the gas, but for the breaks I might, although I do race in socks and apparently it makes it more of a pain to push all the way in, so maybe not heh. Appreciate the thoughts, you guys.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I race in socks and it's fine.

I should get driving shoes. I already use loving gloves lol.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah I was reading up on that too. I'm not great at that kinda stuff and I have more money that I do free time, so I'd rather just buy something to replace my 27 pedals all together instead of putting $140 into them.

As a stopgap, you could get these springs for your G27 pedals. I put them into mine and they feel much nicer than the stock ones, especially the brake one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've seen people use rubber wedges or balls as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Norns posted:

I race in socks and it's fine.

I should get driving shoes. I already use loving gloves lol.

I want to get some kind of driving shoes, socks are fine but after a while you get tired of finding you've worn holes in all your socks from racing.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Shine posted:

As a stopgap, you could get these springs for your G27 pedals. I put them into mine and they feel much nicer than the stock ones, especially the brake one.

Yeah, I was looking at those a couple weeks ago. That was what I was initially planning on getting actually, but after hearing so many people prefer loadcells, I decided to just replace my g27's altogether. I'm sure they are an awesome mod especially for that price, but I've always sorta wanted to get a higher end setup, so I don't wanna spend any more money on these g27's. Thanks for the heads up though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like my V3 pedals. I ripped the rumble motors out. By rip, I mean I had to rip them out. I was able to unplug and unscrew them just fine but the wire runs through a part of the pedal that is too narrow for either end of the wire to fit through once assembled. I couldn't find any easy way to take that bit apart so I just ripped the wires out of the motors and pulled them out. I never used them anyway as I race in shoes.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Reminder:

Assetto Corsa:

This is the first in a AE86 series. Don't miss out on your championship points!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I would be totally in this, if I wasn't out of town this weekend and next weekend...

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I've been hotlapping that track as practice, but due to a birthday over the weekend I probably will miss this - as its 3PM my time.

That post about modding the G25/27/29 brake into a load cell made me curious. I think I might order it, but thats leading me down the rabbit hole as I am looking for 2 more monitors and a mount. I am concerned that my main monitor is 144hz and if it will be noticeable if the two sides are 60hz.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 27, 2016

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm down but I have to buy a computer chair that doesn't slowly sink so that you guys aren't dodging me when I have to adjust the seat every 5 minutes.

I'm gonna put a cushion on my broken chair I guess. My actual car is broken so I can't go buy a chair. :cool:

My goals for the race:
1. Do not get lapped
2. Don't cause any crashes

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Take seat out of broken car, use as chair

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Norns posted:

Take seat out of broken car, use as chair

Zip Ties and Duct Tape fix everything. (I actually do want to take out my current front seats, because they are heavy as gently caress luxury seats with HEATING COILS FOR YOUR BUTT and I need light zoom zoom racecar wheeeeooo seats)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

365 Nog Hogger posted:

My goals for the race:
1. Do not get lapped
2. Don't cause any crashes

Mine is to finally finish a goon race. :v:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Crossposting this from the F1 thread, but it made me think of my fellow goons

https://www.facebook.com/motorsport365/videos/1189253837785905/

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People are saying the next thrustmaster wheel will be direct drive.

https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmast...campaign=buffer

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

And it sounds like it's got the regular thrustmaster wheel attachment. Super excited if true!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
goals for ae86 championship

1.) Drift in somebodys face.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

OhsH posted:

1.) Drift in somebodys face.

Trying out the car/tire/track combo tonight I couldn't do anything but.
1.11 best time. :negative:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 28, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Shine posted:

How are the clutch and throttle? I did just the brake and then stuck the old brake spring in the clutch. I still have to get used to the new clutch feel.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hey, y'all. Is it the full Tsukuba or the short version?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Rated PG-34 posted:

How are the clutch and throttle? I did just the brake and then stuck the old brake spring in the clutch. I still have to get used to the new clutch feel.

The clutch and throttle are stiffer than stock, but the brake one makes the biggest difference IMO. I wouldn't bother buying the other two.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I added a "Mods" section to the OP.

Jamfrost posted:

Hey, y'all. Is it the full Tsukuba or the short version?

Full version. Don't want to miss out on that sweeping left before the hairpin.

Cojawfee posted:

Cool. His remarks about torque are seem like pure marketing though. People have been measuring the torque delivery of FFB wheels forever. He talks like they had some incredible technological insight. Maybe if GT Sport is designed on a software level to deliver torque in such a way as to take into account the torque curve of the motor, like you can do with LUTs for Assetto Corsa, that might make a tangible difference.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
I upgraded my g27 pedals to load cell and it was totally worth it. I wouldn't go back to non-load cell pedals. I live in South Africa so I ended up getting a work colleague to bring back the Ricmotech upgrade kit in his suitcase from a trip to the states. We don't have any of that fancy Fanatec stuff here :)

I was using the GTEYE springs beforehand and they themselves were a marked improvement over stock, you will definitely have more control over your braking with the progressive spring. I got all three springs but you can happily skip the other two if you want to be frugal.

At some point as your brake pedal gets firmer you will have to secure your pedals down. For the longest time I was using an office chair on wheels, so my solution was to get a chipboard plank, bolt my pedals onto one end and then I screwed on two shelf brackets on the other end to hold the chair from rolling backwards. Worked really well until I finally bought a proper bucket seat and built my own rig.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Ay ghostdog, when you gonna switch the server over?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I put up a practice session. Session settings as they will be in race (200% tire and fuel usage), track is fast as I suspect it will be after practice/qualifying.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 28, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Crossposting from the iRacing thread:

The real 24h Nürburgring has been quite a thing to behold so far:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Still can't figure out why sim fans think rain in a race is a core feature for a quality game. It fucks up everything awesome about racing.

And now we have to deal with marketing droids blather on about how realistic their rain-on-windshields solution is, when the truth is it still looks pretty stupid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rain races are better than dry races.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only for spectators.

And maybe Valentino Rossi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because every once in a while you get a professional driver who doesn't seem to be affected by rain like Senna and everyone thinks that will be them.