Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PirateBob posted:

Is it really? The game gets good reviews from critics, but significantly less good from players.

I don't think anyone that played it gave it a bad review. At most "it's not my thing", or the quite dumb "tf2 is free tho".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

PirateBob posted:

Is it really? The game gets good reviews from critics, but significantly less good from players.

Do you happen to take advice from the Battleborn reddit?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Been running into a lot of nasty people today, and they all play the arrow duder. It's weird.

Edit: Also it's really fun being level 9 and matched against a tam with three 31s. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather wait longer for a balanced match.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pakled posted:

Why do my teammates never get behind my shield and shoot at the enemy when I'm Reinhardt

Why do my teammates never try to kill the Tracer or Reaper that's constantly getting behind us and targeting me first when I'm Mercy

Why do my teammates never group up before charging headlong into enemy defenses

Why am I stuck playing tank or healer in 75% of the games I play

Get in the goon discord and most of this poo poo gets solved very quickly. It even makes playing obligatory tank/healer way more enjoyable because your group can be counted upon to do things for actual reasons which is not necessarily the case with a group of randos

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

PirateBob posted:

The game is good, if you're looking for a PvP team- and objective-based FPS, and don't need an extensive progression system to want to keep playing. I'm pretty sure a lot of the players complaining about the game being bad are the same people that cannot believe they're as bad as they are, it has to be due to imbalance or a bad game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I play OW 5x more than cs now despite being addicted to cs, it is a good game. Give it a chance and play with friends.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's a fun game to play with friends. It is significantly less fun to play solo.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Solo is fun too if you play self sufficient heroes or try to use the decent quality in game voice to communicate with your randos because thats what makes this game fun, team coordination and focusing down innocent mercys

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's a game that has colorful, diverse characters and environments in an age when everything is brown and grey, it's good.

Between Over watch and people actually enjoying Doom (singleplayer) I am hoping that we are finally over this "modern war" slump

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Mercy is my least played support, so I gave her a spin today.

I feel like I am missing a core concept of how to play Mercy, because I felt pretty ineffective compared to Lucio. My healing was pretty low and I rarely got a chance to damage amp. I also died a lot because I swear my team knows when I'm in trouble, so they all hide from me which prevents me from zipping over to them. :(

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How goony is the Discord? Will I get heckled for being bad?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Onean posted:

The game is good, if you're looking for a PvP team- and objective-based FPS, and don't need an extensive progression system to want to keep playing. I'm pretty sure a lot of the players complaining about the game being bad are the same people that cannot believe they're as bad as they are, it has to be due to imbalance or a bad game.

I'm thinking of the reviews that say it gets old quick because it is lacking in content.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Verranicus posted:

How goony is the Discord? Will I get heckled for being bad?

Probably not. I've been in a few different groups and nobody's been heckled yet. There are a few people who get salty and whine when they die, but the vast majority of the time it's just positive experiences. I'm honestly a little surprised.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Always join Goon Discord. You'll not only make friends, but you'll find a team thats a bit more balance because everyone wants to work together. Just don't play with tcjimbo if he shows up, and if someone is bugging you, there are scores of other goons to team with.

Plus as a mega bonus you may actually get to play with Legendary Forums Poster Jastiger!!

Fruitsniffer
Feb 1, 2016

What a great day to be trash!

Verranicus posted:

Been running into a lot of nasty people today, and they all play the arrow duder. It's weird.

I've been running into a lot of toxic people in general lately, both on my and the enemy team. I understand that people can sometimes get frustrated because their teammates flat out refuse to kill the enemy Mercy for some reason but insulting them and telling them to kill themselves is kinda hosed up, if you ask me.

By the way, I did a thing with Bastion. Now, I know we all hate Bastion but let's just appreciate this for what it is. Pure skill.

https://gfycat.com/GiantShowyFinnishspitz

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish I remembered the Goons name, but there was one guy in Discord who was an awesome coach, and turned 5 scrambling retards into a tight team in 3 games, and it was the most amazing thing to watch. If I ever see that guy again, I'm going to queue with him every. god. drat. time.

this is partially because I am a follower not a leader.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
What's the Goon Discord?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a game that has colorful, diverse characters and environments in an age when everything is brown and grey, it's good.

This hasn't been true for at least five years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turtlicious posted:

I wish I remembered the Goons name, but there was one guy in Discord who was an awesome coach, and turned 5 scrambling retards into a tight team in 3 games, and it was the most amazing thing to watch. If I ever see that guy again, I'm going to queue with him every. god. drat. time.

this is partially because I am a follower not a leader.

tcjimbo

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Spiros posted:

Solo is fun too if you play self sufficient heroes or try to use the decent quality in game voice to communicate with your randos because thats what makes this game fun, team coordination and focusing down innocent mercys

I usually end up having to play support or tank when I go solo since nobody else wants to, both classes which can be very frustrating when people don't coordinate. I also play on EU, so I run into a lot of people that obviously doesn't speak English very well.

Edit: Unrelated, my only good POTG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmmd5AL_eQ

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 28, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lady Naga posted:

To be fair, this kind of style and character design is still an outlier in the FPS genre. Maybe less the brown thing, but most go for a very "realistic" and serious style and tone. It's nice to see this variety.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Has anybody been having stupid long queue times today? Our group is routinely 3+ minutes to find a game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Maybe on the fringes, but the only big AAA game that came out recently that was different was Destiny. Otherwise you have Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Tom Clancy, over and over.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Between Over watch and people actually enjoying Doom (singleplayer) I am hoping that we are finally over this "modern war" slump

I think Black Ops 3 was the best selling game of 2015 so idk

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

PirateBob posted:

Have you been following these threads? :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jastiger posted:

Always join Goon Discord. You'll not only make friends, but you'll find a team thats a bit more balance because everyone wants to work together. Just don't play with tcjimbo if he shows up, and if someone is bugging you, there are scores of other goons to team with.

Plus as a mega bonus you may actually get to play with Legendary Forums Poster Jastiger!!

I do enjoy playing with goons but I really wish it was more drop-in than it is now. I generally don't join groups through Discord or direct invite because I am only planning on playing a match or two to chill and I don't want to commit to seriously playing it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe on the fringes, but the only big AAA game that came out recently that was different was Destiny. Otherwise you have Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Tom Clancy, over and over.

There are tons of AAA games with diverse and interesting palettes spread over the years. Just going through the list of various GOTY awards for the past five years there's Dishonoured, Portal 2, Destiny, The Last of Us, Dragon Age Inquisition, Monster Hunter 4, Bayonetta 2...

Heavy Metal posted:

To be fair, this kind of style and character design is still an outlier in the FPS genre. Maybe less the brown thing, but most go for a very "realistic" and serious style and tone. It's nice to see this variety.

For sure, but the brown and grey meme describes a period of maybe four years in the 7th gen and it's really annoying to see people still parroting it like it means anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

There are tons of AAA games with diverse and interesting palettes spread over the years. Just going through the list of various GOTY awards for the past five years there's Dishonoured, Portal 2, Destiny, The Last of Us, Dragon Age Inquisition, Monster Hunter 4, Bayonetta 2...

One of those games was a multiplayer shooter. I am not saying that all game are jammed into the modern warfare scene, just a large majority of the shooters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

For sure, but the brown and grey meme describes a period of maybe four years in the 7th gen and it's really annoying to see people still parroting it like it means anything.

I dunno, for FPSs things haven't changed much, I think. It's a meme by now but it's not completely untrue.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One of those games was a multiplayer shooter. I am not saying that all game are jammed into the modern warfare scene, just a large majority of the shooters.

You never specified shooters.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Sorry but a turret who's rate of turn is only hindered by mouse CPI is loving stupid.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Szcwczuk posted:

Sorry but a turret who's rate of turn is only hindered by mouse CPI is loving stupid.

Its been almost a week since release and you still think bastion needs a nerf :mmmhmm:

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

TheTatteredKing posted:

No one heals through a Bastion. As Zen I consider my job to top people off between scuffles. And fart orb people.

Yeah but there's nothing you can do vs a Bastion as any healer, and if you're the only support you can't switch to something to deal with it. So you're completely at the mercy of your team, and sometimes your team just lemmings into Bastion again and again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shooters are near future now, not modern military. God.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

But what if... he wasn't a turret... but a stationary player?????? Just shoot rockets at him you dingus.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

burningbridges posted:

But what if... he wasn't a turret... but a stationary player?????? Just shoot rockets at him you dingus.

Or use the character with the teleport and the face-melting shotguns, or the one that can reflect his bullets back at him, or just shoot like 2/3 arrows into his face, or hit him a couple times with Junkrat, or...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah bastion is easy as hell to kill

just corner peek and shoot him man

just corner peek and shoot him

the issue is when he's got like, a healer and a reinhardt covering his butt, then it's a bit trickier. Then you bring in a junkrat to solve the issue

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zzulu posted:

yeah bastion is easy as hell to kill

just corner peek and shoot him man

just corner peek and shoot him

the issue is when he's got like, a healer and a reinhardt covering his butt, then it's a bit trickier. Then you bring in a junkrat to solve the issue

You can also teleport behind him and he has zero recourse.

There's been like four games now in the Agents Rising tournament where the defensive team went Bastion and every single time they lost.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 28, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Any Bastion that just camps one location is crazy. Moving around between spawn waves is the best way to survive more than ten seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know if people are grouping more or what but solo queue seems more and more snowbally the longer the game is out.