Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically, in civ5, overprioritising production is a trap, population is king. pop = science, and your tradition capital is the single most efficient conversion of pop and happiness to science

Jay Rust posted:

That's a real oversimplification. You can know where a Civ V city's borders will end: three hexes in every direction. And you shouldn't just be building farms: growth is great but so are all of the buildings. Plus, you have Great Person tile improvements, reasons to keep jungles and forests intact, decisions regarding whether to build an alternate road through your cities... There's a lot to consider!

pretty much only my capital will approach size 36+, and that's around the time i launch the spaceship. it takes way too long for a civ5 city to reach its cap

also, most GP tile improvements are a trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

basically, in civ5, overprioritising production is a trap, population is king. pop = science, and your tradition capital is the single most efficient conversion of pop and happiness to science

pretty much only my capital will approach size 36+, and that's around the time i launch the spaceship. it takes way too long for a civ5 city to reach its cap

Care to explain?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I like the idea of farms and mines slowly giving way to specialized districts as you need less of them to support the city which starts sprawling out.

It sounds to me like tile improvements are going to change more often, whereas in V you'd build a farm and it would sit there for 3000 years uninterrupted.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Jastiger posted:

Care to explain?

I believe the theory is that any improvement that does not optimize for food is a 'trap'. So the only GP Improvement that is viable would be the Great Merchant's Town. Engineers are better spent on Wonders, Scientists on bulbing, Prophets on religion spreading, etc...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
engineers are important for wonder rushing and snowballing their benefits, while scientists make all those endgame techs disappear in a blink of an eye

and if you popped a great merchant, then you done hosed up, because that delays scientists

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

This is how I play too lol.

But then I hear that people get Science vicotries in like..1800 and i'm like how in the hell.

Is it doable or are they cheating or being mega optimized or some such?

Mega optimized is 1300. That's with map settings designed for finishing as fast as possible, and rerolling for a good start, which you might consider cheating as well. Oh and exploiting the fact that building settlers sets your food production to 0 even if it would normally be negative.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Staltran posted:

Oh and exploiting the fact that building settlers sets your food production to 0 even if it would normally be negative.

oh come on, this has been known for ages, you always set your cities to max hammers and no food while pumping settlers

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

Care to explain?

Academies can be worth building in the early game, but typically if you're hyper-optimizing, you want to spend all your Great Scientists 11 turns after you finish building Universities in all your cities (since GS bulb points are worth 10 turns' worth of science output). Any Great Engineers/Merchants you get make your Great Scientists more expensive, so you don't want to generate any of those, unless there's a wonder you need in which case you use a Great Engineer to rush it rather than risk getting sniped.

Artists/Musicians can't make tile improvements. Great Prophets can, but you should make at most two of those, one to found a religion and the second to enhance it. The rest of your faith points should be banked for buying Great Scientists in the late game.

Again, this is only for hyper-optimization. You can absolutely play on Emperor while mostly ignoring all this...though probably not while also ignoring the importance of emphasizing population.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah cool. I still don't see how getting food does it. I was playing as Brazil and had TONS of food. SO MUCH FOOD. But i couldn't build anything so I lagged all game simply because I didn't have enough hammer output to build science buildings in a timely manner. I don't see how you do it!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

you want to spend all your Great Scientists 11 turns after you finish building Universities in all your cities (since GS bulb points are worth 10 turns' worth of science output)

Is that how that works? I thought it was the 10 turns of science before the Great Scientist was born.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is that how that works? I thought it was the 10 turns of science before the Great Scientist was born.

In retrospect, it works that way for Great Musicians, which is why if you're going for a culture victory you probably want to hold off on building the musician's guild until later in the game. But no, the value of Great Scientists is continually updated.

Jastiger posted:

Ah cool. I still don't see how getting food does it. I was playing as Brazil and had TONS of food. SO MUCH FOOD. But i couldn't build anything so I lagged all game simply because I didn't have enough hammer output to build science buildings in a timely manner. I don't see how you do it!

You can't have no hammers. Jungle starts are infamous for giving you tons of food and no ability to build things -- all it takes is to have a shortage of hills and your capital that would be absolutely lovely on turn 200 is kind of useless right now.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nope, great scientists are definitely the last 10 turns, rather than the 10 turns leading up to the great scientist spawning.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Huh, the more you know!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'm looking forward to this already. I think it looks pretty great too despite the change in art style, though I do wish they could have retained the clarity they're apparently going for using a realistic style. I think the terrain is going to end up looking a bit lifeless and boring after a while. I especially wish the cities looked realistic. I said in another thread that one of the cooles things in Civ 3 was birds eye view of your metropolis-es, even if they were just static portraits. I feel like you should be able to achieve something much more impressive than toy town with the processing power available today.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Huh, the more you know!

Confusingly, Great Writers use 'current culture per turn' to determine how much culture to grant, while great musician tourism bombs do use the turns leading up to their spawn.

I kind of wish there was consistency. Frankly the whole stockpiling scientists thing is boring and dumb.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When you see all the exploits in a list like that you kinda realise the game is broken as all hell. I've started playing with that "community balance patch" but I have no idea how far it goes to actually address all the issues.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I'm looking forward to this already. I think it looks pretty great too despite the change in art style, though I do wish they could have retained the clarity they're apparently going for using a realistic style. I think the terrain is going to end up looking a bit lifeless and boring after a while. I especially wish the cities looked realistic. I said in another thread that one of the cooles things in Civ 3 was birds eye view of your metropolis-es, even if they were just static portraits. I feel like you should be able to achieve something much more impressive than toy town with the processing power available today.

Personally I feel the map is going to age better than Civ 5's, I like that now we get trees that sway in the wind, and the ocean and waves look pretty good too. Seems to be more zoom both in and out too.

The Civ6 river is kinda bland looking but so is Civ 5's, I think Civ4 had best looking ones.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When you see all the exploits in a list like that you kinda realise the game is broken as all hell. I've started playing with that "community balance patch" but I have no idea how far it goes to actually address all the issues.

I got curious, is there anywhere I can see a list like that?

Ive played a good bunch of Civ 5 and never knew any exploits, so the game doenst looks broken to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Diplomacy with city states is revamped such that you can't money bomb them into friendship. Instead there's a new class of units that are limited based on a special resource that's provided by a new set of buildings. Support units (workers, missionaries, etc) can be stacked without limit, but only one worker can work a tile at a time. More bonuses to lumber mills and mines and they can be built in jungles now too. Every civ also has a UB and a UU rather some having two UUs. There's a load of other changes, but these changes are related to things that came up in the thread

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
I hope Byzantium gets a boost to founding a religion. It's really annoying to 'need' a religion and keep missing it because the AI starts with Pottery/can take Piety without hurting itself/is Ethiopia, Maya or Celts.

Especially the Celts getting free faith just for showing up grumble grumble

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I know that it's barely an excuse for the game itself, but you can play a map with zero city states. We tried it once with a friend, and I have to admit I kinda enjoyed not having the pressure to bribe every single CS into worshiping me.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:doh: I don't know why I didn't just do that, especially given that they eat up tons of land and resources and everyone goes nuts when you capture one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're not really exploits though, and they don't break the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

They're not really exploits though, and they don't break the game.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "break". If you were using these techniques on Prince, you'd utterly steamroll everyone. So that'd be a "broken" game. But on the flipside, these kinds of things are totally necessary on Deity just to catch up to the AI.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That has more to do with playing on Prince than anything "breaking" the game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I hope Byzantium gets a boost to founding a religion. It's really annoying to 'need' a religion and keep missing it because the AI starts with Pottery/can take Piety without hurting itself/is Ethiopia, Maya or Celts.

The CBP change to the Celts are interesting. In addition to getting special snowflake beliefs, they receive nor exert religious pressure and get a faith boost where their religion is dominant.

Byzantium, otoh, ALWAYS gets to found a religion and can take the same belief taken by another religion in addition to their extra belief.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Byzantine posted:

I'm pretty sure that's intentional, though. They would be incredibly broken if they were guaranteed a religion, as they are you actually have to put in effort to get the most out of them. I know that there aren't many civs that have to jump through hoops to get their gimmick to work, but at the same time it's also not like there aren't a fair few civs with at least one weak or useless UU or ability.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Better to not have any useless uniques, really. Byzantium being guaranteed a religion is good.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

kvx687 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's intentional, though. They would be incredibly broken if they were guaranteed a religion, as they are you actually have to put in effort to get the most out of them. I know that there aren't many civs that have to jump through hoops to get their gimmick to work, but at the same time it's also not like there aren't a fair few civs with at least one weak or useless UU or ability.
They really wouldn't be though, Byzantium is pretty weak even when they get a religion- neither of their UUs are very useful, and a bonus belief is nice but nothing compared to the actual good UAs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

kvx687 posted:

Yeah, I don't want it guaranteed, but it's entirely possible that you can't put in enough effort to overcome starting eight turns behind everyone else on building shrines/Ethiopia getting a free temple with every monument/the Celts existing/etc.

Think it's mostly the free Pottery for AIs that bugs me the most.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it's that unenjoyable you can just use Really Advanced Setup to remove Boudicca and Haile from your games. I've been blocking Hiawatha and Kamehameha and Maria Theresa from my games for years now because gently caress that endless city spamming and buying city states poo poo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phobophilia posted:

And this is why the Huns are the best civ in the game. They can get strong production from working the same tiles that give them the most food, allowing them to snowball forward with wonders, and science buildings while still maintaining a strong population growth. The map generator loves to cluster pasture resources too - you can find spots within range of 4 -6 very easily, and my record for most pastures within working range of a city is around 10.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Wouldn't the Huns unique ability just be a weaker version of the Russian one?

Oh I forgot Pastures include cows and sheep NVM.

Star Frog fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 29, 2016

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Looks like the Ottomans are in

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/736968372559040512

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

:kratos:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

One of the more surreal experiences I had in Athens was seeing/hearing the Golden Dawn have a rally on May 29th in commemoration.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Rexides posted:

I know that it's barely an excuse for the game itself, but you can play a map with zero city states. We tried it once with a friend, and I have to admit I kinda enjoyed not having the pressure to bribe every single CS into worshiping me.

I do this nowadays. Great merchants can't do trade missions with no city states and certain civs are gonna be useless. It also fucks up the diplomatic victory option. There's fewer avenues to resources as well.

All that said, the game really focuses more on the civs than the city states, so it's an interesting change.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

I do this nowadays. Great merchants can't do trade missions with no city states and certain civs are gonna be useless. It also fucks up the diplomatic victory option. There's fewer avenues to resources as well.

All that said, the game really focuses more on the civs than the city states, so it's an interesting change.

Yeah, I feel like they were kinda an afterthought — but then they're also crucial to a win condition. :sigh: (Just a commentary on game design, I know diplo victory can be turned off and stuff.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think city-states are a brilliant idea in concept -- the game really needs small-time civs for the big players to push around and get into fights over. But their implementation in Civ5 wasn't the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think the idea of city states is nonsense, you have small-time civs to fight around/push around: they are civs that got bottled up, have less land than others, but still follow similar rules as other civs. Heck, just give some rubber band mechanics to the AI so they keep pace with the civs running ahead of the pack, so they can have some disproportionate influence on the world without being instantly eaten up.