Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Doom is a linear shooter (with deviations for secrets) in between arenas. The best levels are ones that play more like the original Doom's maps (the Foundry comes to mind), which were puzzles in their own right.

Wait, poo poo. Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MisterBibs posted:

And a bit later, Fallout 4 came out and - faith and begorrah - you pretty much could go any direction from your starting location (well, downward, to the left/west, or to the right/east), with no nonsensical barriers, and it was more fun for it.

Can "A better developer made the numbered sequel" be a Little Thing?

Yeah, I noticed the green light, after I was standing on counter and directly facing it. I think the one secret I talked about though would've benefited from a light flickering from it. It was random I looked up.

Another little thing that Valve gets right that they discuss in their commentaries: the best way to get players to beeline for something is make it lighter than the other nearby areas.

Doom is a linear shooter (with deviations for secrets) in between arenas. The best levels are ones that play more like the original Doom's maps (the Foundry comes to mind), which were puzzles in their own right.

Hell, make that it's own Little Thing for D44m or Doom4 or whatever: the Foundry level. A twist of a place where most of your time is spent puzzling out the location of the keys to open doors to open new areas with new locked doors with combat being the fluff in between. Love that level.

You're dumb.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just beaten Cold Fear on the PS2, felt like a much shorter, less scary version of Dead Space in gameplay and controls, but I liked the environment design because it is restrained. You only have two environments, the Whaling Ship in the first half of the game and the Oil Derrick in the second, and they both feel like actual places. The corridors all have multiple logical entrances and exits, it's just some doors get blocked off during certain events to railroad you, but you can still remember "Oh if that door wasn't blocked I would have been right there at my destination!" because by the end of each level you know both facilities like the back of your hand. There are aspects of the game that feel "gamey" like the placements of exploding barrels in illogical places, but overall the environments themselves look navigable for civilians working there, if a certain staircase wasn't busted forcing you to puzzle a little sometimes.. Also the inevitable secret lab area has multiple entrances, it's not just one entrance that would gently caress over the employees if something happened to it, although storing monsters in the main elevator is questionable. There is an entrance both underwater, which is obviously the main one, but there is also a bridge above the water that can be retracted as a safety feature. The controls are on a weird spot, but that's because if they were on the side that would make sense for them to be on you'd be able to get there from the start so that's a contrivance I'm willing to allow in a mediocre PS2 game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MisterBibs posted:

Can "A better developer made the numbered sequel" be a Little Thing?

Sure it can, but I don't see how that relates to Fallout.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just beaten Cold Fear on the PS2, felt like a much shorter, less scary version of Dead Space in gameplay and controls, but I liked the environment design because it is restrained. You only have two environments, the Whaling Ship in the first half of the game and the Oil Derrick in the second, and they both feel like actual places.

An LP of this game (LP archive, archived thread) went really in-depth with some of the things the devs did. He made a mockup of the ship's and derrick's schematics using the models of each room, and they fit together more or less perfectly (the ship moreso than the derrick, iirc). Unfortunately, some of the neat stuff didn't get archived, so you'd have to trawl through the thread.

Inco has a new favorite as of 10:44 on May 28, 2016

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Playing DOOM and I'm really enjoying how self-aware it is. I just beat the Cyberdemon and the achievement for doing so had me in stitches

Reference:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what is the achievement called?

you have given us the punchline without the joke

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what is the achievement called?

you have given us the punchline without the joke

Shoot it until it dies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Dark Souls 3's best moment so far, in my book, comes in the Cathedral of the Deep. Right as you cross a bridge you raised earlier in the area, an old friend yells out to you. Trusty Patches has got us at his mercy on a bridge again, this time disguised as a knight of Catarina.He pulls the lever, lowering you down right into the midst of the sleeping giant you crossed paths with earlier in the area.

...But if you're like me, you killed the giant half an hour beforehand out of paranoia that it would become hostile. Patches gets really mad when he finds out that this time you pre-empted his trap.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:24 on May 28, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In four playthroughs of DS3 I have never triggered that event

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In four playthroughs of DS3 I have never triggered that event

It's awkward. You need to go past the entrance to the boss, take an elevator up, open the front door, then reload the area. No reload after opening the door, no event.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Inco posted:

Sure it can, but I don't see how that relates to Fallout.

Especially since the last good Fallout game was 2.

I like that Doom 4 hinges on a bit of real-world NASA thinking. When they were designing the Z-1 suit for Mars missions (which has since been preempted by the Z-2, yes) they determined that the way you would most easily see someone in Mars' environment would be by making the suit white and bright loving lime green. This is because while the Martian dust would eventually make the suit pink or red, the green color isn't as easy to overcome and is more visible as a contrast in that environment.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallout 2 was that post-apocalyptic episode of Family Guy.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Fallout 2 was that post-apocalyptic episode of Family Guy.

Fallout 2 was making Dan Quayle jokes six years into the Clinton administration.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of the post-game rewards you could find in Fallout 2 was the Fallout 2 Hintbook that maxed out your stats and gave you infinite exp. It's a weird (but good) game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kanfy posted:

One of the post-game rewards you could find in Fallout 2 was the Fallout 2 Hintbook that maxed out your stats and gave you infinite exp. It's a weird (but good) game.

I like to use the item dupe glitch to drop the hint book into a new game and just explode all the ants in the starting area.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

Especially since the last good Fallout game was 2.

Come on. I played and loved Fallout 1 and 2, and I played Brotherhood. But you got to admit New Vegas is the best the series has ever been.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Canemacar posted:

Come on. I played and loved Fallout 1 and 2, and I played Brotherhood. But you got to admit New Vegas is the best the series has ever been.

Dude, don't go for the bait.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Brotherhood of Steel best Fallout :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Canemacar posted:

no. It's good though

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Canemacar posted:

It's pretty cool for an Elder Scrolls game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fallout 2 all patched up might be better than New Vegas, but that's one of those fights where no matter who loses we, the gamers, are the true winners.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 2 all patched up might be better than New Vegas, but that's one of those fights where no matter who loses we, the gamers, are the true winners.

I've said this before but Fallout 2 was great for the time and is not a bad game but almost all of the humor is, like someone else mentioned, Family Guy level of referential humor.
New Vegas is King of Fallout even though I like FO4 more for basic mechanics.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inzombiac posted:

I've said this before but Fallout 2 was great for the time and is not a bad game but almost all of the humor is, like someone else mentioned, Family Guy level of referential humor.

Family Guy levels of references and Newgrounds levels of thirstiness and edginess.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

FreshFeesh posted:

Playing DOOM and I'm really enjoying how self-aware it is. I just beat the Cyberdemon and the achievement for doing so had me in stitches

This makes me sad for some reason. Why is everything a Joss Whedon reboot of itself

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

swamp waste posted:

This makes me sad for some reason. Why is everything a Joss Whedon reboot of itself

There are no strong independent women getting raped and killed, how is it anything like a Joss Whedon reboot

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

swamp waste posted:

When the vast majority of call-backs are in the names of achievements and in the off-the-path hidden collectables, without hitting you over the face with "hey remember when?" it's much more palatable.

Many of the classic old demons/enemies are still there, but often with new takes on them. The old storyline of "gateway to Hell opens, bad things ensue" is very much in the forefront of the entire series, but I also enjoy how fleshed-out this one feels if you read the optional data logs and info codexes.

I think the self-reference adds things for those who were fans of the original, and doesn't detract from those who weren't, a balance that's often difficult to achieve.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If the alternative is Doom 3 I'm okay with a "Joss Whedon" reboot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

poptart_fairy posted:

There are no strong independent women getting raped and killed, how is it anything like a Joss Whedon reboot

[spoilers]The last boss is the lady scientist getting betrayed by hell and turned into a giant brain in a robot spider chair if that counts?[/spoiler]

Lord Lambeth posted:

If the alternative is Doom 3 I'm okay with a "Joss Whedon" reboot.

You know, I was going to say "Some parts of doom 3 weren't bad" and then I looked up some screenshots to confirm this to myself. And oh man doom 3 did not age well at all.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Nuebot posted:

[spoilers][/spoiler]

You almost did it, little guy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

swamp waste posted:

DOOM is about as far from a Joss Whedon reboot as you can get.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Achievements being the realm of dad jokes, old memes, and dated pop culture references is a universal constant across all platforms and genres.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inzombiac posted:

I'd like Fallout 4 better if its perk system was better. I've played hundreds of hours across multiple characters, but the perk screen is awkward to navigate and generally clumsy and not a particularly fun system. I'd love for a mod that changes it up and improves it like SPERG did for Skyrim.

And while I know this is the wrong thread, since I'm on the subject, I just want to make a small gripe about how poorly developed the story is. I mean, you have Piper, who writes a paper about how "the institute is replacing people with synths!" and so you'd think she'd have more commentary on synth paranoia after she joins you. But take her to the Railroad and she is just blithely nice if she reacts at all. It'd be nice if there was some kind of interaction like "How can you help these things that have been replacing people!" and if they wanted her to like the Railroad she could have had a character growth moment. But there's just...nothing.

New Vegas would not let moments like that pass, man. Say what you will about how obnoxious it was to take Arcade to every god drat corner of the map or to get Raul to be present for some incidental conversations, at least they had moments sprinkled throughout the game that made the characters grow and change.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Why is everything a Joss Whedon reboot of itself

For example? Ratchet and Clank? Star Fox? Quantum Break? I'm not sure what you mean here.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Overwatch is a pretty cool game. If you're playing against AI and you win the AI will write in the chat box "GG" or "gg :l"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TontoCorazon posted:

Overwatch is a pretty cool game. If you're playing against AI and you win the AI will write in the chat box "GG" or "gg :l"

but will they raqequit, and have that one guy who always plays widowmaker?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

TontoCorazon posted:

nonplussed gg rules

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

nonplussed gg rules

Yeah it gets me giggling

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Time Bro and the Broniversal Soldier both do the Van Damme spin kick and split kick for melee attacks in Broforce. :3:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lotish posted:

I'd like Fallout 4 better if its perk system was better. I've played hundreds of hours across multiple characters, but the perk screen is awkward to navigate and generally clumsy and not a particularly fun system. I'd love for a mod that changes it up and improves it like SPERG did for Skyrim.

And while I know this is the wrong thread, since I'm on the subject, I just want to make a small gripe about how poorly developed the story is. I mean, you have Piper, who writes a paper about how "the institute is replacing people with synths!" and so you'd think she'd have more commentary on synth paranoia after she joins you. But take her to the Railroad and she is just blithely nice if she reacts at all. It'd be nice if there was some kind of interaction like "How can you help these things that have been replacing people!" and if they wanted her to like the Railroad she could have had a character growth moment. But there's just...nothing.

New Vegas would not let moments like that pass, man. Say what you will about how obnoxious it was to take Arcade to every god drat corner of the map or to get Raul to be present for some incidental conversations, at least they had moments sprinkled throughout the game that made the characters grow and change.

New Vegas was up to the gills with really excellent character writing. My favorite is the surgeon you can encounter in Novac who barely knows what she's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Witcher 3, and I'm enjoying it way more than Witcher 2 so far.

Not only have the controls been streamlined nicely so it's no longer a nightmare to do anything (I played the opening hour of Witcher 2 on Steam, didn't like the clusterfuck that was the PC control scheme) and the characters aren't completely detestable. Sure there is mention of the darker side of humanity, but still less depressing than Witcher 2, which had a conversation in the starting encampment with two guys apparently from the first game apologizing for attempting to rape Geralt's friend, his response being "What Rape?" and then they backpedal. It felt very nihilistic, like they were trying to play it for laughs, but it was just unpleasant.

Witcher 3 does the complexity much better, with a man looking for his brother who went to war against the occupying force in one sidequest, and you find him badly injured but alive, having become good friends with an enemy soldier who happened to save his life. On the other hand you have the scholar who wants to go to the front lines and find out what wars really like, but when Geralt mentions that that would be a great idea because people need to know about the ugly side of human nature, like the warcrimes, rapes and brutality that come with dehumanising your opponent, the scholar dismisses that as irrelevant.

I also enjoy the angle that Witcher's are not pure warriors or are they mages. They are renaissance men, masters of swordplay, magic, plus they gather intel and even aid in politics if there is call to do so and the pay is good. Plus they write books to share that knowledge with other Witchers. They are buff wizards.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 29, 2016