Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shadow225 posted:

I'm his Facebook blurb, he stated that after including his mana and adjusting his main deck configuration, he felt it was a large advantage if he didn't shuffle. That sounds like mana weaving to me.

It doesn't make sense. Did he just mana weave his deck and then hand it over without shuffling? Did he do one mash shuffle? Why didn't his opponent just shuttle his deck if he thought there was an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

I'm his Facebook blurb

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't make sense. Did he just mana weave his deck and then hand it over without shuffling? Did he do one mash shuffle? Why didn't his opponent just shuttle his deck if he thought there was an issue?

If you mana weave then mash once then its still the same as not shuffling at all. Your deck is not reasonably randomized. How can you have played for this long and not known this?

It actually doesn't matter if his opponent shuffled at all. He is still at fault for presenting a non randomized deck. The root of the cheat is that you benefit every time you opponent just cuts the deck. Opponents, especially in the early rounds of competitive events, cut the deck instead of shuffling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

If you mana weave then mash once then its still the same as not shuffling at all. Your deck is not reasonably randomized. How can you have played for this long and not known this?

It actually doesn't matter if his opponent shuffled at all. He is still at fault for presenting a non randomized deck. The root of the cheat is that you benefit every time you opponent just cuts the deck. Opponents, especially in the early rounds of competitive events, cut the deck instead of shuffling.

What if he mashes twice? Three times? IDK it seems very subjective and not something you should be getting DQ'd for without a warning. I think we've all broken up clumps of lands in our decks especially after a long game 1 where you have a lots of lands in play...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

This, but for the statement "Mishra's Workshop is playable"

Lifetime ban in Rich and Caleb's Twitch chat.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

What if he mashes twice? Three times? IDK it seems very subjective and not something you should be getting DQ'd for without a warning. I think we've all broken up clumps of lands in our decks especially after a long game 1 where you have a lots of lands in play...

Yes, and then we shuffle the deck properly until it is well randomised. There's some number of each type of shuffle that works, I think for mashes it's 7?
As judges we can check if a deck is good on that or not, and deck check "interception" is supposed to happen when the decks are presented, to check exactly for that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

born on a buy you posted:

If you post the store name and a screen shot of the threat I'll have this dealt with.

Ok I'll get PM and PM you and Sickness about it later. There isn't much to be posted because it was mostly vocal. The only evidence is a passive aggressive note on the sealed event that says, "If you want to play EMA limited but don't want to contend with severe rare drafting, we offer this attractive sealed event." Nothing on the draft event page.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Lifetime ban in Rich and Caleb's Twitch chat.

*walks past a pile of garbage*

Ugh, what is this? You can't even cast Gush with it

*throws workshop back onto the rubbish heap with everyone's Lodestone copies 2-4*

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

What do you mean broken up clumps of lands? If you mean anything besides shuffling your deck a lot then I hate to break it to you.

But you are either cheating and not realizing it or you are wasting your time by manipulating your deck before shuffling it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mcmagic posted:

I think we've all broken up clumps of lands in our decks especially after a long game 1 where you have a lots of lands in play...

Random is random. If you're actively trying to avoid clumps of lands, then you're not properly randomizing your deck. Just do 10-12 mash shuffles. The clumps will be randomized into the deck, and sometimes they will randomly be clumped again, and you lose 2 games in a row to flooding, but that's how random works, and that's why mulligans are an option.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I think we've all broken up clumps of lands in our decks especially after a long game 1 where you have a lots of lands in play...
Haha what? No, I haven't. Because 9-10 riffle shuffles gets you to the "sufficiently randomized" state that your deck needs to be in and unless you are remarkably bad at shuffling it won't matter if you sort out all the lands and put them on top of the nonlands or weave them in like a time-wasting shitbag or just put all your in-play cards on top of your remaining library, your deck will be just as random after 9-10 riffles regardless.

For amusement's sake, what I do after a game is to put my hand in the graveyard, then riffle my in-play nonlands and lands together once, then that pile into the grave/hand, then that pile into what was left of my deck. It takes me maybe 5 seconds and it removes any sort of inclination that I might be cheating.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

What do you mean broken up clumps of lands? If you mean anything besides shuffling your deck a lot then I hate to break it to you.

But you are either cheating and not realizing it or you are wasting your time by manipulating your deck before shuffling it.

I don't believe that if i'm looking through my deck and i see a bunch of lands together (or multiple copies of a card together) and move them to other parts of the deck before i mash shuffle a few times that is cheating....

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mcmagic posted:

I don't believe that if i'm looking through my deck and i see a bunch of lands together (or multiple copies of a card together) and move them to other parts of the deck before i mash shuffle a few times that is cheating....

If you only mash shuffle "a few" times, it's cheating.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

You're wrong

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

If you fail to sufficiently randomize your deck, that is cheating. If you're weaving before shuffling and that has an impact on the shuffled deck, that's cheating.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe that people who play competitively on a routine basis can say incredibly dumb poo poo like this.

I can believe this from a casual person at FNM that just doesn't know better. They probably don't understand that mana weaving is even illegal or why. But a day 2 gp player or better? Jesus christ. :cripes:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Between games you're right but you're actually not allowed to rearrange your deck while searching it in the middle of a game afaik.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I can't believe that people who play competitively on a routine basis can say incredibly dumb poo poo like this.

I can believe this from a casual person at FNM that just doesn't know better. They probably don't understand that mana weaving is even illegal or why. But a day 2 gp player or better? Jesus christ. :cripes:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you only mash shuffle "a few" times, it's cheating.

How many times? 3? 4? 5? It's not cut and dry.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Best case scenario is you're shuffling sufficiently afterwards, in which case it's superstition that puts you in risk of getting a judge called on you. Just stop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It isn't, but the answer definitely isn't two.

But lets break it down further. You searched your deck and identified clumps. Why move cards at all? If two mashes is enough, why move anything?

The answer is clear. You moved things to stack your deck. You moved things to benefit yourself in some way. You have cheated at MTG.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I read somewhere that 7 (proper) mash shuffles is statistically enough for sufficient randomization, but that number might have been from someone's rear end just like any other.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Enough times that no one would think you're getting an advantage and before you ask, yes it is an advantage if you think you're getting mana flooded/screwed less than you would with any other shuffle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

It isn't, but the answer definitely isn't two.

But lets break it down further. You searched your deck and identified clumps. Why move cards at all? If two mashes is enough, why move anything?

The answer is clear.

Anteri's answer makes perfect sense. It makes him feel better about his deck being randomized. I don't see how that is something you should be DQ'd for. It's just SO loving subjective.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Anteri's answer makes perfect sense. It makes him feel better about his deck being randomized. I don't see how that is something you should be DQ'd for.

If you are moving your cards around how is that random? For the love of god nobody can be this dense. The answer is clear. You moved things to stack your deck. You moved things to benefit yourself in some way. You have cheated at MTG.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

If you are moving your cards around how is that random? For the love of god nobody can be this dense. The answer is clear. You moved things to stack your deck. You moved things to benefit yourself in some way. You have cheated at MTG.

No. You're allowed to do whatever you want with your deck and the order of the cards in your deck as long as you shuttle afterwards. The issue i'm having is the subjectivity of what is enough shuffling.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

No. You're allowed to do whatever you want with your deck and the order of the cards in your deck as long as you shuttle afterwards.

As long as you shuffle it enough to compel a judge that you are trying to randomize your deck. Two shuffles isn't enough.

This entire thought process is so dumb that I feel like the only thing that can help people not be idiots is to outlaw mana weaving or card moving all together to help you not be an idiot on accident.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Perennially relevant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

As long as you shuffle it enough to compel a judge that you are trying to randomize your deck. Two shuffles isn't enough.

This entire thought process is so dumb that I feel like the only thing that can help people not be idiots is to outlaw mana weaving or card moving all together to help you not be an idiot on accident.

People get DQ'd from tourneys for judges thinking they are cheating when they aren't. That is a real thing that happens. And when it's based on something this subjective it's an issue.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Between games you're right but you're actually not allowed to rearrange your deck while searching it in the middle of a game afaik.

Wait really? On the phone so I don't have access to rules, but if I'm resolving a tutor or something, is it illegal to put 2-3 candidates on the bottom (closest to me) to have them on hand while I make a final decision?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Wait really? On the phone so I don't have access to rules, but if I'm resolving a tutor or something, is it illegal to put 2-3 candidates on the bottom (closest to me) to have them on hand while I make a final decision?

No. That is perfectly within the rules.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

People get DQ'd from tourneys for judges thinking they are cheating when they aren't. That is a real thing that happens.

Well this isn't one of them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Well this isn't one of them.

I don't know how you could know that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how you could know that.

By the person who was DQ'd own admission? Holy gently caress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

By the person who was DQ'd own admission? Holy gently caress.

No. He didn't admit that he was trying to gain an advantage at the time he was doing it and therefore it should've been a warning and not a DQ.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wasn't 7 shuffles for a standard poker deck? I feel like someone brought in actual math that showed you needed 8 for a 60 card deck.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

JerryLee posted:

I read somewhere that 7 (proper) mash shuffles is statistically enough for sufficient randomization, but that number might have been from someone's rear end just like any other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

No. He didn't admit that he was trying to gain an advantage at the time he was doing it and therefore it should've been a warning and not a DQ.

Are you being pentadic here? He admited to not properly randomizing his deck during this match and many times before that. Intent doesn't matter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Are you being pentadic here? He admited to not properly randomizing his deck during this match and many times before that. Intent doesn't matter.

It does matter. If there was no judgement of intent there would've been no DQ.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I am on the floor for this GP and it is stone cheating.

Did something wrong? Check.
Knew he was doing something wrong? Check.
Did it to gain an advantage? Check.

That is the literal definition of USC - Cheating. If he was just shuffling badly without knowing it, it'd be Tournament Error - Insufficient Shuffling, which is a Warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Thats 7 riffle shuffles. He doesn't address mash shuffles.

• Locked thread