Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rand Brittain posted:

There's really no call to go comparing anybody to Mary Worth.

The Aldo Kelrast saga is more interesting and important than any part of Shortpacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tenebrais posted:

Is this a change in what new artists are doing, or is it just that slightly-fantastical slice-of-life comics don't get popular at all now since a lot of the old classics still exist? (Or otherwise aren't interesting now that a lot of more focused stories are around)
Webcomics have really changed in the past 15+ years and the older model of "update no matter what and keep going forever" isn't the only guaranteed way to get readers anymore. It's still pretty foolproof, and a wildly inconsistent schedule will hurt a new comic, but it's not as bad I think.

From my experience, it's been a combination of things. For one, the move away from newspaper-style grid strips--which were easier to do for daily updates--and more of the indie comics feel getting more traction. Also, kids that grew up on less conventional comics and graphic novels are old enough to be making their own stuff now, that kind of thing changed the visual landscape, too.

Social media helps a lot, too. I mean it used to be forums for advertising your new comic, maybe a banner exchange or you'd make it up the ranks of a top webcomic listing service. If you were lucky a big name comic might link to you for a day or two, but it was hit and miss if readers would stay. It was really hard to get people coming back if you weren't doing rigorous updates.

Nowadays, with so many different opportunities for cross-linking and networking, you can get more invested readers even if your stuff is relatively new if it looks polished and promising. Plus people can follow you in any number of ways and get instantly notified when you update rather than hope they remember to open their "Rarely Updates" bookmark folder.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Android Blues posted:

People get weird about webcomic authors. There was a guy in the Homestuck thread years back who insisted that Andrew Hussie was a sociopath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7eyqY4bbQ&index=10&list=PLDA7FEFFB0712779F

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-6-page-57/

YOURHIGHNESSDOYOUWANTSOMEBROWNIESBEFOREYOUGOTOBED

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I didn't like It's Walky, was pretty indifferent to Shortpacked!, and I find Dumbing of Age pretty rad. That's my Willis opinion.

Android Blues posted:

That's how I feel about it, too. Like, sure it's a vaguely sexy comic about women loving on each other written by a man. But I definitely know there were a bunch of teen girls who read that stuff and were like, hey, yeah, I vibe on this. Even if the author of a comic with bi or gay women in it isn't one themselves, people who are or are questioning can still really benefit from seeing themselves reflected in something, so long as the work itself isn't real bad about the subject matter.

Hello! fwiw, Girly was the way it was 'cause even though Wendy & Cutewendy had shallow, horny-kid-written lesbians, they ended up with a lot of lesbian fans anyway. So when Girly got going, I wanted to make a real effort writing a story for them. Haven't really written any comics with a male audience in mind since then. Well... mostly.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hi! Thank you for writing a cool comic. (and other cool comics since then!)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SuperHappy posted:

Hello! fwiw, Girly was the way it was 'cause even though Wendy & Cutewendy had shallow, horny-kid-written lesbians, they ended up with a lot of lesbian fans anyway. So when Girly got going, I wanted to make a real effort writing a story for them. Haven't really written any comics with a male audience in mind since then. Well... mostly.

I think sometimes people do get hung up too much on the author instead of what they actually produce. In most cases, sure a bi or lesbian woman would be better trusted to write something involving that content, but that doesn't mean a guy can't or that you shouldn't give it a shot if it looks good. But even then there certainly are some comics and stories out there written by women that read just like the same pandering smut a teenage boy would churn out. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that effort is appreciated and I liked Girly. :shrug:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dumbing of Age is very divisive. Some people think it's great, some people find it absolutely ridiculous. (Personally I think it's sublime.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in an early update of monster pulse: jesus lulenski :suspense:

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
I like how she makes it a veiled threat. Just an offhand comment, and problem solved. Though those drinks are going to be super awkward I bet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tollymain posted:

today in an early update of monster pulse: jesus lulenski :suspense:

I was wondering how exactly she was planning on getting her colleague to do what she wanted. drat.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

She jumped off the slippery slope and just decided to laser drill herself right down to the core.

God drat, I mean Shell has been stupidly evil since the beginning, but this is above and beyond.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From her perspective, all of this is justified by the fact that she's going to resurrect the man she loves, the man she killed. It's not like she's planning to hurt anyone. How far would you go to save a life and not be a murderer?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

She jumped off the slippery slope and just decided to laser drill herself right down to the core.

God drat, I mean Shell has been stupidly evil since the beginning, but this is above and beyond.

Wouldn't that be something if, after everything's said and done, that Rjinder actually turns out to be the decent human being in their relationship? :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rjinder's not above this stuff either, whether it be due to being living in a horror story all his very own or being an amoral researcher

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SlothfulCobra posted:

From her perspective, all of this is justified by the fact that she's going to resurrect the man she loves, the man she killed. It's not like she's planning to hurt anyone. How far would you go to save a life and not be a murderer?

Not so far as to weaponize a bunch of kids to try and kidnap a bunch of other kids that I tried to kill a few months ago.

Certainly not so far as to threaten my only sorta-friend's daughter to get him to do it for me.

Rjinder at least has the excuse of being held hostage by something that can kill him at any time and make his life literally misery.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tollymain posted:

rjinder's not above this stuff either, whether it be due to being living in a horror story all his very own or being an amoral researcher

This is very correct. "Project Chakra" is entirely his brainchild, not to mention everything else related to Arma.

Still, it's been amazing to watch Lulenski walk right up to the edge of the slippery slope and then decide to go snowboarding.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Aldo Kelrast saga is more interesting and important than any part of Shortpacked.

As far as I'm concerned Aldomania 2006 never stopped

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
He'll always be able to emerge from bushes in our dreams

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Comparing the (only?) high point of Mary Worth to the entirety of nearly anything else isn't really fair. It's been ages since something even close to as entertaining as Aldo came from that comic; it's firmly back in "old lady meddles and moralizes at everyone" territory and has been for a while now.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SuperHappy posted:

I didn't like It's Walky, was pretty indifferent to Shortpacked!, and I find Dumbing of Age pretty rad. That's my Willis opinion.

you wrote girly? I liked girly, it was good. Are you doing other stuff now?

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one's up: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/

I'm gradually inching back to the dark stuff. I wanted there to be a break after Nivose's stories with a few comedic ones. I have one hell of a story to add but I'm kinda scared it will break the series, all "jump the shark" style, so I'm building up to it.

I'm going to be submitting Bunny Meat to Hiveworks tomorrow in hopes of getting it hosted there. I already submitted Serious Engineering to it several weeks ago, which has a much higher chance of getting picked since it has an ongoing story and is much longer. Having Bunny Meat hosted there too would be awesome. So, here's hoping!

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Plethora posted:

I have one hell of a story to add but I'm kinda scared it will break the series, all "jump the shark" style, so I'm building up to it.

You should use this exact sentence everywhere you talk about this comic, because I think your core audience is "people who stop to look at car crashes" and that's definitely going to pique their interest.

Put another way, I would describe Bunny Meat's genre as "disaster", and promising a disaster so disastrous it may turn the comic itself into a disaster is going to grab the morbid curiosity reins they've already bit on, add several more and then yank on all of them really hard*.

Or even if none of that makes sense, creativity is an inherently audacious and risky exercise, and you've already taken that and run with it by going with the premise "varying degrees of childhood trauma as interpreted in bunny form". So just go all in, no regrets! One way or another, your comic will be remembered for it. The worst case scenario, really, is "can you believe the person who did Serious Engineering also did that?"

*I assume this is how equestrianism works

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
QED: fanfiction sites are bad and children should be warned never to visit them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Plethora posted:

New one's up: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/

I'm gradually inching back to the dark stuff. I wanted there to be a break after Nivose's stories with a few comedic ones. I have one hell of a story to add but I'm kinda scared it will break the series, all "jump the shark" style, so I'm building up to it.
I think these are always better if you don't let the guy explain himself at the end.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Carrasco posted:

You should use this exact sentence everywhere you talk about this comic, because I think your core audience is "people who stop to look at car crashes" and that's definitely going to pique their interest.

Put another way, I would describe Bunny Meat's genre as "disaster", and promising a disaster so disastrous it may turn the comic itself into a disaster is going to grab the morbid curiosity reins they've already bit on, add several more and then yank on all of them really hard*.

Or even if none of that makes sense, creativity is an inherently audacious and risky exercise, and you've already taken that and run with it by going with the premise "varying degrees of childhood trauma as interpreted in bunny form". So just go all in, no regrets! One way or another, your comic will be remembered for it. The worst case scenario, really, is "can you believe the person who did Serious Engineering also did that?"

*I assume this is how equestrianism works

Thank you. You're awesome.

Jackard posted:

I think these are always better if you don't let the guy explain himself at the end.

Agreed. I stopped adding the 'epilogues' unless they reveal something directly related to the creepy part. Otherwise they come across as pretentious pandering. It's tough because I do my best to keep the exact words and phrasing as possible and it feels weird to leave anything out or change something. It feels unauthentic that way. But, yeah, there needs to be a standard set.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 31, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
On today's Poppy, I've either missed or forgotten something: Who is this Audrey Otter the alt-text refers to?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's the doll Poppy won, which stopped showing up after that page, presumably dropped in the sand garden.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ohhh! I just kind of pushed it out of my mind, derp.

Renaissance Robot posted:

which stopped showing up after that page

Panel 2, behind Kit.
Panel 2, beside Lily. Panel 4, as well.

It looks like Lily grabbed Audrey after Poppy dropped her, and was playing with her in the sand garden when the chair malfunctioned. Since Poppy used the handkerchief trick on Lily, she wasn't able to pick Audrey back up before Poppy rushed out after Kit! :eng101:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was phone posting at work and couldn't find the exact page thanks to crappy wifi; I did find it later but figured it was too :spergin: to bother editing my post for accuracy about pointless minutiae.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That is a hell of a face Petunia is making in panel 7 :pwn:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Captain Oblivious posted:

That is a hell of a face Petunia is making in panel 7 :pwn:

Y'know how in Understanding Comics they pointed out that in a horizontally long panel with multiple people talking it's assumed that the stuff to the right is chronologically later than the stuff on the left? Imagine that phenomenon condensed into a single face.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Y'know how in Understanding Comics they pointed out that in a horizontally long panel with multiple people talking it's assumed that the stuff to the right is chronologically later than the stuff on the left? Imagine that phenomenon condensed into a single face.

Oh I know exactly what it's representative of. It's an abstraction of her shifting expression as she begins to see Poppy/Kit but drat if taking it at face value isn't utterly hilarious :colbert:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Renaissance Robot posted:

I did find it later but figured it was too :spergin: to bother editing my post for accuracy about pointless minutiae.

Hah! Pointless is my middle name. :spergin::hf::v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Monster Pulse has been on a roll lately. I find stories of good people doing bad things and the justifications they make for them great, but this is also the right amount of silly.

Poor Lulenski. Can't be good to be reminded of Roger like this. Also I'm glad in general the children seem to have a empathetic connection with their monsters since otherwise uh, losing your head means you'd be deaf, blind, and mute forever :gonk:

Magnolia Porter mentioned somewhere that Monster Pulse was partially inspired by Pokemon and while the story definitely hits the same beats you can't argue that it's way more effective and interesting than Another Fan Comic Where Charmander Dies Slowly In The Rain. I think it's awesome and a great lesson in how doing original content can really be great in terms of stretching yourself.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh I know exactly what it's representative of. It's an abstraction of her shifting expression as she begins to see Poppy/Kit but drat if taking it at face value isn't utterly hilarious :colbert:

It's actually totally a literal thing she's doing. Petunia's expressions are absurd and wonderful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Monster Pulse has been on a roll lately. I find stories of good people doing bad things and the justifications they make for them great, but this is also the right amount of silly.

Poor Lulenski. Can't be good to be reminded of Roger like this. Also I'm glad in general the children seem to have a empathetic connection with their monsters since otherwise uh, losing your head means you'd be deaf, blind, and mute forever :gonk:

Magnolia Porter mentioned somewhere that Monster Pulse was partially inspired by Pokemon and while the story definitely hits the same beats you can't argue that it's way more effective and interesting than Another Fan Comic Where Charmander Dies Slowly In The Rain. I think it's awesome and a great lesson in how doing original content can really be great in terms of stretching yourself.

Digimon Tamers, actually :eng101:. She even included copyright-friendly versions of the main trio of Tamers as background students at Bina's school. See: Not-Takato and Not-Rika in the first panel here.

Also the comic hasn't come down one way or another on it yet, but it seems to be implying that Enid's consciousness is in her head monster and her body is just a clumsy puppet now. Either way, yeah, she got the most hosed up out of everyone so far, second only to Rjinder in terms of monsters..

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

nine-gear crow posted:

the comic hasn't come down one way or another on it yet, but it seems to be implying that Enid's consciousness is in her head monster and her body is just a clumsy puppet now..

Really? I got the exact opposite impression. That would be pretty hosed up, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Really? I got the exact opposite impression. That would be pretty hosed up, though.

There's any number of viable possibilities, really: 1) Enid's in her head and the "monster" is actually what's left of her body. 2) Enid became a hosed up amalgam as her head monsterized and rewrote her consciousness like Anima sort of did to Violet (it would explain why she's a little too cavalier to try and literally eat West whole). or 3) Enid's in the body, and is in fact a dead, mute, and blind dullahan now, and her monster's in the head and was able to form its own human-like consciousness by jacking her brain matter as it constituted itself.

I'm leaning more towards 1 or 2, though if there's one thing Magnolia is brilliant at, it's flipping people's expectations over completely, so who really knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the comic hasn't come down one way or another on it yet, but it seems to be implying that Enid's consciousness is in her head monster and her body is just a clumsy puppet now. Either way, yeah, she got the most hosed up out of everyone so far, second only to Rjinder in terms of monsters..

This is sort of the impression I got too. Plus, this interpretation allows for maximum pathos re: West's promise to save her.

Also, nothing about "I'll get all my powers back as soon as I put my head back on my body" really fits anything we've seen so far, but if they tried to stop mid-stream that might explain why Enid turned out kind of weird even by Monster Pulse rules.

• Locked thread