Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Because many devices have a vertically polarized antenna, for one, and also, MIMO works best (aka at all) if the antennas are parallel (or close to it) in a plane, like fenceposts, unless it is specifically designed to work with the antennas at certain angles. Also you want the antenna away from any other circuitry that can interfere with it, couple signals into it, or block/reflect/absorb its signal, which results in a lovely radiation pattern. Stop pretending you know things you don't, it's obvious to anyone who has any clue about RF that you're talking out your rear end.

You should write an angry-worded letter to practically every major networking equipment manufacturer who makes a wireless AP. Almost every high-dollar prosumer/enterprise level access point lacks external antennas, yet somehow they not only work (at all) but do so very well.

But I'm sure you know better than the likes of Cisco does in this regard, right?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I work for a WISP and for the people who want great WiFi, we use UniFis. Since we have a private Internet more or less (until you get to the edge), we run the UniFi Controller on an overpowered Xen pool. They work amazingly, and supposedly you can use the ac units as a 2.4GHz AP with 5GHz ac as backhaul between the units. The outdoor ones are even better, you basically can't beat their outdoor performance with one of the Ubiquiti omni antennas that the radios clip right on it. I only run a Netgear ac AP because it was free, everything else I have is Ubiquiti or Mikrotik. Its pretty amazing how good cheap hardware is.

PS AirFiber is awesome and cheap compared to 'real' bachaul.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 28, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love Unifi. And I love Xen!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

DJ Commie posted:

I work for a WISP and for the people who want great WiFi, we use UniFis. Since we have a private Internet more or less (until you get to the edge), we run the UniFi Controller on an overpowered Xen pool. They work amazingly, and supposedly you can use the ac units as a 2.4GHz AP with 5GHz ac as backhaul between the units. The outdoor ones are even better, you basically can't beat their outdoor performance with one of the Ubiquiti omni antennas that the radios clip right on it. I only run a Netgear ac AP because it was free, everything else I have is Ubiquiti or Mikrotik. Its pretty amazing how good cheap hardware is.

PS AirFiber is awesome and cheap compared to 'real' bachaul.

When in this mode they're a 5GHz AP as well, I have a UAP-AC-Lite and a UAP-AC-Pro in wireless backhaul mode. You only get ~100mbps of backhaul bandwidth, but it works pretty well.

Geoj posted:

You should write an angry-worded letter to practically every major networking equipment manufacturer who makes a wireless AP. Almost every high-dollar prosumer/enterprise level access point lacks external antennas, yet somehow they not only work (at all) but do so very well.

But I'm sure you know better than the likes of Cisco does in this regard, right?

Ken's point seems to be not that consumer antennas are better than cisco's gear (and note that cisco's longest-range stuff still uses external antennae), but that the external antennae on consumer-grade stuff is not 'just for show'. It's probably worth mentioning that a lot of consumer gear with external antennas only uses them for 5GHz these days (see: all TP-Link multiband products, 2.4GHz antennae are on the board) and there is some consumer gear that has external antennae which don't even have any conductors in them (though I've not seen any in years).

For the most part external antennae have gone by the wayside though as we've gotten better at RF voodoo using fixed arrangements of antenna elements on a PCB (even on a lot of high-end consumer stuff). External movable antennae can have issues with people arranging them incorrectly as well (not fenceposted) which doesn't help their case. In stuff like the UniFis, the extra processing power, better RF modem design, and beamforming/other RF shenanigans more than makes up for any downside to using fixed internal antennae.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 28, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Apparently you can modify a drain blaster to shoot Nerf darts at over 200FPS.

You can also modify them to shoot paper 'shotgun cartridges' filled with a sizable number of airsoft 'bullets'. :v:

Edit: Congratulations on the kiddo MustardFacial.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 28, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Indeed. Many congrats Mustard. Welcome to the fatherhood party

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Weird enough that the power went out - that's really rare for here. It's been about 2 years since we had it go out for more than a couple of seconds.

Laughable part: within a few seconds of the power coming back on, I got a text from Oncor saying my power will be restored around midnight. It came back on at 11:00. Looked at their outage map though, well over 10,000 people were affected, and it was due to "equipment failure". :stare: Something big made a really expensive noise. We got a couple of flickers right before it went out, but it was less than a second of warning.

Turns out my 850 VA UPS only runs my desktop for about 10 minutes. The much smaller 550 VA on my mom's PC kept it running through the ~30 minute outage (though it was about to shut down). :stare: Guess that's the difference between an i3 w/1 HDD + 1 monitor, and an i5 w/4 HDDs + 2 monitors...

Darchangel posted:

The gently caress? Why?

"to protect customer privacy". Same reason they gave for blocking screenshots (yet the first thing they ask for when you bitch about something in the app not working is a screenshot).

gently caress it. Old phone is now on the nerd plan. Main phone is back to rooted. Life has returned to normal.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I have a confession. The Chevy Venture AWD in leather is a very comfortable and pleasurable vehicle to operate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Here in Pontiac the power goes out a lot, to the point that I quit bothering to reset my microwave

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We live in new construction, wired into this new so-called "green grid" which is supposed to be advanced and have blackout redundancies or some magic. The only time we've had a power loss was when some drunk ran right into a pole a half block away.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Turns out my 850 VA UPS only runs my desktop for about 10 minutes. The much smaller 550 VA on my mom's PC kept it running through the ~30 minute outage (though it was about to shut down). :stare: Guess that's the difference between an i3 w/1 HDD + 1 monitor, and an i5 w/4 HDDs + 2 monitors...

How is the battery quality, though? You probably know this, but they use little sealed lead-acid batteries, like the kind you'd find in an alarm system. They only last a few years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 850 on my PC is less than 6 months old - no telling how long it sat on the shelf, but I think I bought it early this year, and it's still a current model (CyberPower LE850G). The 550 on mom's PC (APC BackUPS 550VA) is about 3 years old and still on the original battery. Mom's PC is a very pedestrian i3 desktop though, while my i5 is overclocked, has 4 HDDs + 1 SSD, decent (for a couple of years ago) video card, multiple case fans, 2 monitors, etc. Both monitors were on, but in power saving mode, until the power went out, then they both lit up (I guess from some USB stuff disconnecting when the power dropped). My UPS claims the total load on it now is ~175 watts, which is a decent draw.

I was planning on a much better true sine wave UPS for my PC, but my old UPS (same APC model that mom has) decided it didn't want to charge or pass power to the UPS outlets anymore, and with 4 HDDs in this thing, I didn't want to leave it without a UPS. Had to go with what was on the shelf (and on sale) at Fry's with zero notice.

Rhyno posted:

We live in new construction, wired into this new so-called "green grid" which is supposed to be advanced and have blackout redundancies or some magic. The only time we've had a power loss was when some drunk ran right into a pole a half block away.

We have above-ground power coming into the subdivision (underground to the houses), but the power (at this house) pretty much never goes out except during ice storms. Even then it's usually brief. The only outage I can think of in the past decade that was more than an hour or two was when a real ugly storm rolled through; 80+ MPH straightline winds, one of the poles outside of the neighborhood snapped, and fell on top of a house. House burned down, power around here was out for a week.

edit: I think that was this storm, but I honestly don't remember at this point.

The oldest part of this neighborhood dates back to about 1989; this house was built in 1994.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 28, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
One of my friends took me out for a "hooray you're a father" drinks. In which we got into a discussion of what it would take to go to either the Montreal GP or the Austin GP. I quick texted my dad and he said he'd be down for lending me his 27' RV. So that's transportation and accommodation covered. We just need to save up the money for gas, food, booze, stupid bullshit and tickets.

This is a feasible plan :getin:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I got a VAG I can stuff things in. I'm pretty stoked. Turns out the whole emissions scandal means TDI prices are in the toilet. Considering this purchase is meant for the wife to drive into the ground like she did with her VW Rabbit I'd say we did pretty good.

Also the Sportwagen is pretty sexy-like.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So a cop bought the first legally imported Skyline here, one minute after it was legal to do so.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This new laptop is loving awesome. The inside of it is made of loving carbon fibre.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So a cop bought the first legally imported Skyline here, one minute after it was legal to do so.

Under the 25 year rule? There were some R33s that were imported legally but there was a bunch of shenanigans by the company who used to do it so that is not 100% true now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Noise Complaint posted:

I got a VAG I can stuff things in. I'm pretty stoked. Turns out the whole emissions scandal means TDI prices are in the toilet. Considering this purchase is meant for the wife to drive into the ground like she did with her VW Rabbit I'd say we did pretty good.

Manual or DSG? I can't wait to sell mine back to vw

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
DSG. Wife sits in 45 min of traffic a day and is unwilling to drive a manual in that condition.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Watched guardians of the galaxy on the flight home. Pretty enjoyable film from start to finish

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just picked up a 9lb brisket to throw on tomorrow. Can't loving wait.

There is zero good BBQ in California, and it has been way too loving long since I smoked a brisket. Actually probably about 8 years.

Edit: also found a sweet 2 Live Crew single released before the explicit content warning was required on it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Just picked up a 9lb brisket to throw on tomorrow. Can't loving wait.

There is zero good BBQ in California, and it has been way too loving long since I smoked a brisket. Actually probably about 8 years.

Edit: also found a sweet 2 Live Crew single released before the explicit content warning was required on it.

There was a tiny but great BBQ place out in Livermore, but they went out of business. Their sauce was transcendent. Couldn't compete with the huge flashy new spot that opened up downtown, though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

There is zero good BBQ in California

That is just not true! I'm smoking pork shoulders overnight tonight! It will be delicious :colbert:

It is true there is very little decent commercial bbq though. If I wasn't such a lazy rear end in a top hat I'd look into starting my own joint here in the Coachella valley. There have been some mediocre places but this valley can't sustain something that isn't at least great. It would need to be good enough to bring people from out of town. Not Franklin level, but still really good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

That is just not true! I'm smoking pork shoulders overnight tonight! It will be delicious :colbert:

It is true there is very little decent commercial bbq though. If I wasn't such a lazy rear end in a top hat I'd look into starting my own joint here in the Coachella valley. There have been some mediocre places but this valley can't sustain something that isn't at least great. It would need to be good enough to bring people from out of town. Not Franklin level, but still really good.

Commercial BBQ joints here are just way too fancy, or just utter poo poo. And over half of the ones I've been to don't even really smoke the meat, or if they do somehow it has like negative flavor.

Or they use avocado wood, which tastes like dogshit.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Agreed the only way to get good BBQ in California (and by California I mean LA) is to do it yourself. It's surprising how no one has filled this commercial niche, or the ones that do are so mediocre. Like aggressively mediocre.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ether Frenzy posted:

Agreed the only way to get good BBQ in California (and by California I mean LA) is to do it yourself. It's surprising how no one has filled this commercial niche, or the ones that do are so mediocre. Like aggressively mediocre.

No poo poo.

Then again, I don't know if a truly good place could work out here. People seem to love lovely BBQ here. I'm in the Temecula area, and there's a ton of the mediocre to horrible places and they thrive. It's sad.

Edit: one place I went, I ordered chopped brisket. What I got was soggy, 1" cubes of meat with a sugary glaze. The owner was in there and asked what I thought, I was honest. He said they'd started out doing it traditional and transitioned to that...mess...because it's what people wanted.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Unless you're close to Compton then there's Bludso's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Probably overhead costs in Cali I would guess. Most of the good BBQ places here are little shacks that cost almost nothing to run. I just went to a place last night called Smokin' J's and it's an old house converted into a dinning room with a take out on the side and he uses the garage to smoke the meats.

I would imagine it would cost way too much for a small operation like that over there to be profitable, so it has to be some sort of chain or big business with tons of money that charges ridiculous prices for mediocre BBQ.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wife's kidney stones ruining my wrenching time :(

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Way behind the curve, but congrats, MustardFacial. Hope to do the same myself in a couple of years.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gentlemen, I give you a rare opportunity:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I had the spare cash for a shipping container over here, I'd consider that. I want a mirthmobile.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Flat tire this morning, and it's too old to plug (4 years and nearly to wear bars). 2 new tires are going to run me $250. Not a bad price, and I need new tires... I just didn't want them so soon.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Holy cow, setting up a house show was a lot easier before I cared about stuff like acoustics, feedback, and whether guests could find their way to the bathroom. :corsair:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday :cheers:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Negotiations are underway for an LQ4. We'll see how this Saturday turns out...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Drive that nova at least once as is before you stick the lq4 in it. :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sigma X posted:

I tested out RaceRender, looks good. I'm going to start capturing datalogging as well, since I already have two tools to do it with. Hurrah.
What are you using for data/telemetry? I've thought about doing overlay on our car but right now the only thing we have for capturing data is the Aim Solo. Guys asked me if I could do a video feed and telemetry so I've been looking at options.

MustardFacial posted:

One of my friends took me out for a "hooray you're a father" drinks. In which we got into a discussion of what it would take to go to either the Montreal GP or the Austin GP. I quick texted my dad and he said he'd be down for lending me his 27' RV. So that's transportation and accommodation covered. We just need to save up the money for gas, food, booze, stupid bullshit and tickets.

This is a feasible plan :getin:
I'm trying to get a group of friends together for the Austin GP, you should go to that one.

Noise Complaint posted:

Good choice that will be a great car. Last I heard VW was buying back (at pre-scandal prices) the cars and crushing them, Dad's not thrilled but I can't imagine it being mandatory.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Had a pillow fort date, highly recommended. Good Friday, good Saturday.

Anyone watching the Nurburg 24hr? I checked earlier this morning and watched some of the sleet/hail racing. Looks like conditions are much better now. Watching the official stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMc5Z3xJgUU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elmnt80 posted:

Drive that nova at least once as is before you stick the lq4 in it. :(

Absolutely. Gonna take a while (money) to build that lq so I plan to get some more miles on the 350 first :)

Also, agreed on price, dad will pick it up Tuesday and drag it up here next weekend. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Just got to my hotel in vegas for punk rock bowling. Its awesome seeing so many punks instead of the typical assholes you normally see in vegas.

• Locked thread