Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

Japanese salaryman work culture is insane and terrible and you're crazy if you think otherwise.

Somehow I think you missed the point of his post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Brannock posted:

Somehow I think you missed the point of his post.
No, I just think it's really stupid to say that they can 'compartmentalize' after work/home apart from work when they get almost no time for those things.

I'm not sure if it's even accurate, either, given how paternalistic corporate culture is in Japan. Does drinking with work buddies constantly actually count as 'after work' if it's required by the company culture?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 28, 2016

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

axeil posted:

I don't see the issue here. No one is using a fitbit for truly medically accurate info. If my heart rate is at 140 or 160 it's not a massive difference, it's just to get a ballpark estimate.

People shouldn't use it for medical reasons but (having done support for a similar product) some users absolutely expect results with a comparable accuracy.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, if a fitbit is off by that much then it's completely useless because it isn't providing you with any information that you aren't already provided with by virtue of being alive.

If they're off by that much, then the only question it's answering is whether or not you feel like you're exerting yourself, and you should know the answer to that without any kind of monitoring device. All of the (already questionable) reasons why anyone other than a professional athlete might want to know their heartrate while exercising go right out the window if you can't get a more accurate and consistent reading than that.

This is happening even with counting steps. Fitness trackers don't track actual steps, they give you a number that is pretty close to "right" based on analyzing continuous data and guessing a discrete number of times your foot went down - it's an estimate, not a count, and the estimates are way off for some people.

Heck selling them as an activity estimator would be fine, it's just not what's happening. Probably cause it's not a very exciting product.

Anyway speaking of unicorns and medical wearable tech...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/27/11801118/Jawbone-clinical-health-wearable-hail-mary-UP-production

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015

lancemantis posted:

What's wrong with copyright on code? FOSS lives on copyright

It appears that FSF has a different opinion on issue of copyrighting API:

quote:

Were it grounded in reality, Oracle's claim that copyright law gives them proprietary control over any software that uses a particular functional API would be terrible for free software and programmers everywhere. It is an unethical and greedy interpretation created with the express purpose of subjugating as many computer users as possible, and is particularly bad in this context because it comes at a time when the sun has barely set on the free software community's celebration of Java as a language newly suitable for use in the free world. Fortunately, the claim is not yet reality, and we hope Judge Alsup will keep it that way.
(source)

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

axeil posted:

I don't see the issue here. No one is using a fitbit for truly medically accurate info. If my heart rate is at 140 or 160 it's not a massive difference, it's just to get a ballpark estimate.

I'd also dispute their findings as I find mine pretty much lines up when I do a manual measurement.

I'm guessing it doesn't work well for Obese people in particular. Pulseoximetry is generally less sensitive when the arteries are below a bunch of fat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Chrungka posted:

It appears that FSF has a different opinion on issue of copyrighting API:

(source)

Oracle are not claiming the scope of control FSF say they are, nor is the nature of the law what they pretend it to be. APIs themselves are not copyrightable. API structure, sequence and layout are copyrightable. That's a very important difference-it's the foundation of a variety of copyright IP schema. People who want to use the same API structure can license it from the copyright holder, or reverse engineer it using a clean room procedure. Google ran into this problem because they intentionally violated the reverse engineering process.

Practically every part of that statement is inaccurate to the law of the case. Regardless of what you think copyright law on APIs should be, the FSF isn't a good source to use when you want to know what the law actually is-they're being willfully dishonest. This is a problem with many organizations doing legal advocacy, but I have to admit I've never seen it be as craven as in the tech IP context.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oracle are not claiming the scope of control FSF say they are, nor is the nature of the law what they pretend it to be. APIs themselves are not copyrightable. API structure, sequence and layout are copyrightable. That's a very important difference-it's the foundation of a variety of copyright IP schema. People who want to use the same API structure can license it from the copyright holder, or reverse engineer it using a clean room procedure. Google ran into this problem because they intentionally violated the reverse engineering process.

Practically every part of that statement is inaccurate to the law of the case. Regardless of what you think copyright law on APIs should be, the FSF isn't a good source to use when you want to know what the law actually is-they're being willfully dishonest. This is a problem with many organizations doing legal advocacy, but I have to admit I've never seen it be as craven as in the tech IP context.

As I've tried to explain in the SCOTUS thread, the computer doesn't care about the legal distinction and the SSO is part of the API. APIs are effectively copyrightable now, depending on which language you're using.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Discendo Vox posted:

Your "very important difference" is meaningless, because an API is, by definition, the structure, sequence, and organization of publicly exposed methods used to communicate with a system. Take away the structure, and there is nothing left, because an API is necessarily divorced from its implementation.

And, as was discussed to death in the SCOTUS thread, it's impossible to use a clean-room reverse engineering process to come up with a compatible reimplementation of an API because the API is exactly the spec that goes into a clean room reverse engineering process. If APIs are in fact copyrightable, then every single clean room reverse engineering job ever done is a violation of API copyright. This is a fundamental change in software IP law, and trying to claim otherwise is hilariously disingenuous.

Ultimately, you're trying to stake a claim on a distinction as meaningless as "books aren't copyrightable, the words in books are" - yes, that might be technically true, but it provides no insight and certainly doesn't support any arguments you try to build on top of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Munkeymon posted:

As I've tried to explain in the SCOTUS thread, the computer doesn't care about the legal distinction and the SSO is part of the API. APIs are effectively copyrightable now, depending on which language you're using.

Could you link to the post? I would like to read that discussion.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-05-18/this-could-be-the-end-of-the-tech-boom

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could you link to the post? I would like to read that discussion.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590854&userid=40673&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post459738429

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thanks! :)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Munkeymon posted:

"Part" =! "the API". It turns out language is important!

Space Gopher posted:

Your "very important difference" is meaningless, because an API is, by definition, the structure, sequence, and organization of publicly exposed methods used to communicate with a system. Take away the structure, and there is nothing left, because an API is necessarily divorced from its implementation.

And, as was discussed to death in the SCOTUS thread, it's impossible to use a clean-room reverse engineering process to come up with a compatible reimplementation of an API because the API is exactly the spec that goes into a clean room reverse engineering process. If APIs are in fact copyrightable, then every single clean room reverse engineering job ever done is a violation of API copyright. This is a fundamental change in software IP law, and trying to claim otherwise is hilariously disingenuous.

Ultimately, you're trying to stake a claim on a distinction as meaningless as "books aren't copyrightable, the words in books are" - yes, that might be technically true, but it provides no insight and certainly doesn't support any arguments you try to build on top of it.

Yes. The words aren't copyrightable, the order and structure are.That is how copyright works. Clean room reverse engineering is entirely viable- otherwise past applications of the method wouldn't have been legal. Google decided to skip a bunch of steps and break the cleanroom- that's the whole reason the suit happened in the first place. You explicitly described the violative steps google took in the SCOTUS thread- why are you reversing on this now?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. The words aren't copyrightable, the order and structure are.That is how copyright works. Clean room reverse engineering is entirely viable- otherwise past applications of the method wouldn't have been legal. Google decided to skip a bunch of steps and break the cleanroom- that's the whole reason the suit happened in the first place. You explicitly described the violative steps google took in the SCOTUS thread- why are you reversing on this now?
Can you give the list of steps involved in doing a clean reverse engineering that produces a Java compatible library? My understanding of what a clean room is would make such a thing impossible or a pointless formality.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 29, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

twodot posted:

Can you give the list of steps involved in doing a clean reverse engineering that produces a Java compatible library? My understanding of what a clean room would make such a thing impossible or a pointless formality.

It's closer to your conception of the latter. The problem is that the alternative is no copyright on code structures. The same protections, and methods of reversal, exist for copyright and other IP in other settings.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 29, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

It's closer to your conception of the latter. The problem is that the alternative is no copyright on code structures.
I fine with having copyright on code structure, I want to understand what the people talking about clean rooms are trying to say, because my best understanding is they don't understand one of clean rooms or code structure, which isn't particularly charitable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

twodot posted:

I fine with having copyright on code structure, I want to understand what the people talking about clean rooms are trying to say, because my best understanding is they don't understand one of clean rooms or code structure, which isn't particularly charitable.

The crux of the problem is that they're getting their information from a set of legal advocacy groups that want to disrupt(wahey) extant software IP law. Motivated reasoning's a hell of a drug.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

The crux of the problem is that they're getting their information from a set of legal advocacy groups that want to disrupt(wahey) extant software IP law. Motivated reasoning's a hell of a drug.

Software IP law is now in flux, though, as the discussion in the SCOTUS thread and a glance at Wikipedia should tell you. It's really not clear where software fits, as its form and function are intertwined in a way that make copyright and patents both extremely awkward to apply, resulting in inconsistent case law, and making every legal challenge a crapshoot. You're unfairly tarnishing the FOSS community by comparing them to "disruptive" (read: flouting regulations through technology) startups.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Software IP law is now in flux, though, as the discussion in the SCOTUS thread and a glance at Wikipedia should tell you. It's really not clear where software fits, as its form and function are intertwined in a way that make copyright and patents both extremely awkward to apply, resulting in inconsistent case law, and making every legal challenge a crapshoot. You're unfairly tarnishing the FOSS community by comparing them to "disruptive" (read: flouting regulations through technology) startups.

Is urban ground transportation and short term space rental not also in flux? Are there not similar changes and legal cases being brought in those sectors? The difference is the people who are speaking, and the language they use- and how close an affinity those people, and that language, have with the forum demographics. And Google has a lot more money and market power, of course.

To be clear, I'm comparing Google (who set up the case to force a particular outcome that will give them greater leverage and shut out a competitor) to disruptive startups, in this particular case. The FSF or EFF are more like libertarian legal groups such as the WLF in this analogy- their ideology lets them see and present the information involved in only the way that makes their cause just. They are then accepted by people who are part of the culture as an objective and ethical source.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Discendo Vox posted:

Actually, extant software IP law going back to a number of cases in the 1980s like AT&T v Coherent has generally held that as functional interfaces APIs are not themselves subject to copyright, only specific works describing APIs such as header files and manual pages are.

So the literal file /usr/include/stdio.h in AT&T V7 UNIX was copyright AT&T, but the functions, variables, and constants described in that file were not, and only a couple of not-very-onerous steps were needed to produce a fully-compatible clean-room implementation.

This current legal outlook, some of which goes back all the way to Amdahl, is what Oracle has been trying to upend as part of Oracle v Google. And that's why working software developers have been almost universally on Google's side.

In a way the situation with APIs and copyright is very similar to databases and copyright: A specific database is covered by copyright, but the data within it isn't. So you can't photocopy and sell a telephone book, but you can transcribe the names, addresses, and phone numbers in it and then generate your own telephone book from that data and sell it.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 29, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

eschaton posted:

In a way the situation with APIs and copyright is very similar to databases and copyright: A specific database is covered by copyright, but the data within it isn't. So you can't photocopy and sell a telephone book, but you can transcribe the names, addresses, and phone numbers in it and then generate your own telephone book from that data and sell it.
The telephone book example fails immediately, no one thinks "arrange things alphabetically" is worthy of copyright. You can't encounter someone who thinks API structure should (sometimes) be copyrightable, and counter "Have you considered the most basic structure isn't copyrightable?".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It sounds like part of the problem here is Vox is explaining the rationale and folks are expecting him to justify it. The way I read it his argument is 'Stakeholders are pushing for an overreach and want to push this standard' and the response is 'but that standard is absurd and couldn't be met' when that's the whole point. It sounds reasonable to someone not familiar with code/software.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Discendo Vox posted:

"Part" =! "the API". It turns out language is important!

Yes, much like how my bones are part of me.

"We don't own people, just skeletons! It's NBD." is sort of how this line of argument sounds to programmers.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 29, 2016

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Munkeymon posted:

Yes, much like how my bones are part of me.

"We don't own people, just skeletons! It's NBD." is sort of how this line of argument sounds to programmers.

Look, maybe it's your fault for designing so much of your life around needing a skeleton, there are plenty of forms of life out there that get by without them. Just pay the bone license or work on alternatives.

Alternately be another huge company that owns the right to skin, and sue us for using that without license and we'll settle the case by droppping our suit against you for using bones without a license.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's closer to your conception of the latter. The problem is that the alternative is no copyright on code structures. The same protections, and methods of reversal, exist for copyright and other IP in other settings.

Yet again you (and everyone else claiming that a clean room implementation is the proper procedure here) manage to dodge giving an actual list of steps for that implementation, even at a high level.

If it's as obviously possible as you claim, it shouldn't be impossible or even difficult for you to outline how it's supposed to be done.

Here, I'll explain it for a standard clean-room reverse engineering process, as used successfully for the IBM and Sega BIOS cases. We'll call our hypothetical reverse engineering target Software X:

- Get two teams of developers, call them A and B. It is imperative that the developers on Team B have never worked with Software X before.
- Team A is given a copy of Software X. They treat it as a black box, and extensively document possible inputs, and what outputs they produce. They avoid using methods like debuggers and decompilers as much as possible to ensure that they're not documenting how Software X does its work, only what it does. The end result of Team A's efforts is an API specification.
- Team B is given the API specification. This is the only exposure they will ever have to Software X over the course of the project. Their job is to build new software that implements the API specification provided by Team A in every detail.
- If Team A's API specification was complete, detailed only the "what" rather than the "how", and Team B's implementation was accurate, then Team B's output will be a software implementation functionally identical to Software X that was provably not copied from Software X, because Team B never saw any details about the implementation of Software X to copy from.

Note that this doesn't work for an API specification, because Team A has full access to Software X, and they're the ones producing the API specification. Their whole job is to copy the API described by Software X. It only works for an implementation, which isn't what's under discussion here.

So, again - how does your hypothetical clean room process work for a copyrighted API spec?

eschaton posted:

Actually, extant software IP law going back to a number of cases in the 1980s like AT&T v Coherent has generally held that as functional interfaces APIs are not themselves subject to copyright, only specific works describing APIs such as header files and manual pages are.

So the literal file /usr/include/stdio.h in AT&T V7 UNIX was copyright AT&T, but the functions, variables, and constants described in that file were not, and only a couple of not-very-onerous steps were needed to produce a fully-compatible clean-room implementation.

This current legal outlook, some of which goes back all the way to Amdahl, is what Oracle has been trying to upend as part of Oracle v Google. And that's why working software developers have been almost universally on Google's side.

One interesting wrinkle here is that, in Java and most other modern languages, a given logical structure can only be expressed in one way, and it has to be character-for-character identical to any other expression of that logical structure (or very close to it). The Federal Circuit's decision seemed to put a lot of weight on the fact that Google "copied" a certain number of lines of "declaring code."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Coolness Averted posted:

Look, maybe it's your fault for designing so much of your life around needing a skeleton, there are plenty of forms of life out there that get by without them. Just pay the bone license or work on alternatives.

Alternately be another huge company that owns the right to skin, and sue us for using that without license and we'll settle the case by droppping our suit against you for using bones without a license.

Yeah, just use PHP, the sea cucumber of languages

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, just use PHP, the sea cucumber of languages
But in a just world sea cucumbers would not be extinct :confused:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

twodot posted:

The telephone book example fails immediately, no one thinks "arrange things alphabetically" is worthy of copyright. You can't encounter someone who thinks API structure should (sometimes) be copyrightable, and counter "Have you considered the most basic structure isn't copyrightable?".

The point is that a database, being a collection of facts, is not covered under copyright at all, irrespective of the arrangement.

There is no arrangement of the data in a telephone directory that allows the producer to use copyright to prevent someone else from producing an equivalent arrangement of the same data.

The same is true for recipes: The ingredients, amounts, and steps in a recipe are not covered by copyright because they're considered facts, but the prose used in the steps and other descriptive text is, photographs are, and so on.

What Oracle is arguing is essentially that the quantities and the steps in a recipe should also be covered by copyright—which is not what the courts have generally held for the past few decades, whether for recipes or for APIs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

eschaton posted:

The point is that a database, being a collection of facts, is not covered under copyright at all, irrespective of the arrangement.

There is no arrangement of the data in a telephone directory that allows the producer to use copyright to prevent someone else from producing an equivalent arrangement of the same data.

The same is true for recipes: The ingredients, amounts, and steps in a recipe are not covered by copyright because they're considered facts, but the prose used in the steps and other descriptive text is, photographs are, and so on.

What Oracle is arguing is essentially that the quantities and the steps in a recipe should also be covered by copyright—which is not what the courts have generally held for the past few decades, whether for recipes or for APIs.
I mean talk about case law as much as you like (though I don't personally find arguing it was previously different very compelling), but stop offering analogies that make no sense, Oracle is doing nothing like that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Can we not turn this thread into a major Oracle/Google writeup? The SCOTUS thread is already drat near unreadable due to this bullshit, so much so that I've lost all concept of what an API is or how it is made.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

More importantly, if this is such a goddamn great conversation to have across multiple threads regarding one specific case that doesn't even apply to Unicorns nor SCOTUS information, why doesn't it have its own thread made for it so armchair and/or professional lawyers/developers alike can argue past each other to their hearts' content?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

thecluckmeme posted:

More importantly, if this is such a goddamn great conversation to have across multiple threads regarding one specific case that doesn't even apply to Unicorns nor SCOTUS information, why doesn't it have its own thread made for it so armchair and/or professional lawyers/developers alike can argue past each other to their hearts' content?

Because it would turn to poo poo and get gassed in short order and everyone that wants to yell at each other about it would be right back where they are now. Also no one wants to be the poster that started the garbage thread.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Some good news for a change:

quote:

Dutch Firm Trains Eagles to Take Down High-Tech Prey: Drones

KATWIJK, the Netherlands — Its wings beating against a gathering breeze, the eagle moves gracefully through a cloudy sky, then swoops, talons outstretched, on its prey below.

The target, however, is not another bird but a small drone, and when the eagle connects, there is a metallic clunk. With the device in its grasp, the bird of prey returns to the ground.

At a disused military airfield in the Netherlands, hunting birds like the eagle are being trained to harness their instincts to help combat the security threats stemming from the proliferation of drones.

The birds of prey learn to intercept small, off-the-shelf drones — unmanned aerial vehicles — of the type that can pose risks to aircraft, drop contraband into jails, conduct surveillance or fly dangerously over public events.

The thought of terrorists using drones haunts security officials in Europe and elsewhere, and among those who watched the demonstration at Valkenburg Naval Air Base this month was Mark Wiebes, a detective chief superintendent in the Dutch police.

Mr. Wiebes described the tests as “very promising,” and said that, subject to a final assessment, birds of prey were likely to be deployed soon in the Netherlands, along with other measures to counter drones. The Metropolitan Police Service in London is also considering using trained birds to fight drones.

The Dutch have experimented with other methods, such as jamming drone signals, capturing drones in nets fired by defender drones or shooting them out of the sky with buckshot.

Birds of prey have the advantage of being able to bring drones safely to the ground, rather than causing them to crash, which can pose risks to those below.

“We have seen a number of incidents around airfields, and, in the end, we want to be prepared should anyone want to use a drone for an attack of some sort,” Mr. Wiebes said.

This meeting of biological skills and cutting-edge science should not be a surprise, Mr. Wiebes added. He said technology could evolve from nature, “a workbench of thousands of generations in which solutions are found for problems.”

The man who created the project, Sjoerd Hoogendoorn, a security consultant, put it more colorfully: “Mostly, the most crazy ideas work the best.”

Mr. Hoogendoorn came up with the program at home while researching drone threats. Through a mutual friend, he contacted Ben de Keijzer, a bird handler with a quarter of a century’s experience.

After initial trials, the two men formed a company based in The Hague called Guard From Above, and they approached the Dutch police in late 2014. What appealed to the authorities was the chance to use “a low-tech solution for a high-tech problem,” said Mr. Hoogendoorn, adding that drones “can be used for very positive, good things but also bad things.”

For his eagles, the reward for a successful interception is a piece of meat, and they were accomplishing their task despite the wind — which handlers say creates a bigger problem for drone operators than for birds.

Worries have been raised that birds could be struck and seriously injured by a drone’s blades. Mr. Hoogendoorn said that the safety of the animals was a top priority, and that although eagles’ talons had scales to protect them, work was underway to give them more covering. Mr. Wiebes said safety measures could include some form of glovelike sheath for the talons.

Mr. Hoogendoorn said his interest in security issues had been deepened by a chance visit to New York during the week of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

“It made a huge impact on me as a visitor,” he said. “I have been waiting for my chance. I think this is a good way to make the world a little bit more safe.”

The initiative is timely, given the number of drone incidents in Europe.

In France, drones were found close to nuclear power stations in 2014. The same year in Britain, a man was fined after losing control of a device near a nuclear submarine facility.

The next year, another Briton was prosecuted after flying a drone over soccer stadiums and tourist attractions.

In the Netherlands, there was a near miss involving a drone and an aircraft at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in April, the type of episode that seems worryingly frequent.

In January, a drone was spotted between two low-flying Tornado military aircraft in Scotland. The next month, Heathrow Airport near London reported a drone incident involving an Airbus A320 passenger plane whose captain assessed the risk of collision as high.

“The drone flashed beneath by about 100 to 150 feet and slightly left of the fuselage,” a report said, describing the object as black, with a red strobe light on top and a diameter of two to three feet. “The entire event lasted no more than three or four seconds, making any evasive action virtually impossible.”

Britain has also faced a surge in drone flights near prisons. There were 33 sightings last year, compared with two in 2014. In December, drugs, a mobile phone, a charger and USB cards were found on a drone at Oakwood prison in the West Midlands region of England.

Alan McKenna, an associate lecturer in the law school at the University of Kent, said the experiment with birds of prey reflected growing concerns in Europe.

“There are so many unknowns: What if a drone does hit an aircraft? Can it bring that aircraft down?” Dr. McKenna said, adding that “research is being carried out now” on those questions.

“We all know it’s going to be feasible to use a drone with a bomb attached,” he said.

Around the world, the authorities are waking up to the potential threats, and advantages, of drones. The United States has introduced a federal registration program, and NASA is working on a traffic management system for drones.

But in Europe the rules vary by country. For example, Dr. McKenna said, Ireland has a registration requirement, but Britain, where a small, effective drone can be bought for as little as 100 pounds, or about $150, there is no control over the sale or registration of drones. He said rules existed for where and how drones may be flown.

“We have got regulations that make certain types of drone flying illegal, but how do we enforce them?” Dr. McKenna said.

The challenge for governments is how to encourage the economic potential of drone use while combating security risks.

Dr. McKenna said he was skeptical that birds of prey would be adopted widely to deter the illegal use of drones, but he acknowledged that they might be one part of the solution.

“You couldn’t have an eagle 24/7 in a particular area,” he said, adding that one possible use would be at public events like a music festival.

Mr. Hoogendoorn said teams of eagles could be placed on standby at high-risk locations. Different birds could be deployed at night, he added, though it is harder to fly drones after dark.

Eagles are already used around some airports to scare away birds that can pose a danger to aircraft if sucked into engines, Mr. Wiebes said, suggesting that birds of prey are suited to this type of location.

The Dutch police expect to use birds of prey that, “instead of hunting for a dove or a rabbit, will hunt for these drones,” he said.

“It’s majestic to see,” Mr. Wiebes said, as a magnificent bald eagle perched on the arm of a handler. “But they are not pets.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/world/europe/drones-eagles.html

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
put gopros on those eagles, monetize the meta disruption

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The video that goes with that article is pretty cool.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Very cool video. Although I don't know much about eagles or drones, I get the feeling that a larger craft would chew up any bird that tried to grab it. Maybe there is a technique that allows grasping of the drone body while avoiding all the rotors, but unless the eagle is throwing a net or using a fancier trick than I just watched, I think the blades of a medium sized drone would do serious damage to a living creature.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Asimov posted:

Very cool video. Although I don't know much about eagles or drones, I get the feeling that a larger craft would chew up any bird that tried to grab it. Maybe there is a technique that allows grasping of the drone body while avoiding all the rotors, but unless the eagle is throwing a net or using a fancier trick than I just watched, I think the blades of a medium sized drone would do serious damage to a living creature.

This is more a solution to nosy assholes sending their small 400€ camera drones into airports than a catch all solutions to drones being where they shouldn't be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potentially also cost effective given that I think airports already use birds of prey to keep birdstrikes down.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Here, have a story about two of this thread's favorite things:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/driverless-car-startup-zoox-valued-at-1-billion-after-new-funding-round-2016-05-30

quote:

The backer of a Silicon Valley autonomous car developer called Zoox said the secretive startup raised a fresh round of capital valuing it at more than $1 billion, roughly equal to a similar company General Motors Co. acquired earlier this month.

Cruise Automation is the startup GM acquired:
http://fortune.com/2016/03/11/gm-buying-self-driving-tech-startup-for-more-than-1-billion/

quote:

General Motors this morning announced that it will acquire Cruise Automation, a San Francisco-based developer of autonomous vehicle technology. No financial terms were disclosed, but Fortune has learned from a source close to the situation that the deal is valued at “north of $1 billion,” in a combination of cash and stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Speaking as someone whose cool fun start-up employer is in the process of getting acquired by a giant boring company, this thread doesn't exactly fill me with optimism but I'm glad I've been reading it for a while.

It's cool, though. I knew the catered massages wouldn't last forever, and, fingers crossed this whole deal should let me pay off the last of our student debt and move someplace beautiful. gently caress, though... I guess I have to get another real job, eventually. Unless our chill, fun culture survives assimilation, because that happens sometimes, right? Right????