Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Do you mean the stuff like finding rebel transmissions? I've got a mate just spent three hours doing that and it won't let him turn it in. :v:

From what I can tell the "bonus" they give you for speed bugs out the quest.

Wait until the bonus fails, exit out and switch modes and then you can turn in.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Some sort of multiplier of the two would work for me.

What if they did something crazy like instead of procedural generating a billion NPCs with wildly varying relationships between challenge and payout they created 10-15 NPC setups and tuned the Risk v Reward on them. Then did something like an 80/20 split between tuned and random NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Frontier never put in the CQC/Arena assets in the main game either.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

MODS?????

oh, wait...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Diamond Frogs would like to show our appreciation to the traders collecting goods to clean up our station.

To the traders taking part I am now authorised to offer fabulous prizes.

1 Trader amongst the Top 5 will get a bit of art by Felix '3' Dyson (quick doodle, usable as an avatar or the like) or a metallic ship skin of their choice (Or ship skins/bobble-heads of equivalent value).

1 Trader amongst the Top 10% will get a £5 ship skin or bobble head of their choice.

1 Trader amongst the Top 25% will get up to 100 tons of Palladium (As your ship can carry in one load, up to 100 tons)

1 Trader amongst the Top 50% will get up to 50 tons of Palladium (As your ship can carry in one load, up to 50 tons)

1 Trader amongst the Top 75% will get up to 25 tons of Palladium (As your ship can carry in one load, up to 25 tons)

1 Trader amongst the Top 99% will get to 5 tons of Palladium (As your ship can carry in one load, up to 5 tons)

1 Commander who didn't contribute at all will be added to our KOS list for a period of two weeks. (I have no idea why you'd want this prize, but people are strange, or maybe you didn't take part, but really want some Freddos (see below)).

Finally, one lucky entrant will receive a small care package of Freddos*. (They cost 25 pence now. Outrage).

The Top 5, Top 10% and Freddos winner can instead choose to have their prize value donated to The Frog Life Trust or a charity of their choice.

To enter follow these simple steps.

- Wait until the CG is over
- Send a screenshot (jpg rather than bmp please) of your contribution to competition (at) diamondfrogs.co.uk
- Wait for notification of your fabulous prize

* Chocolate in the shape of a Frog

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Finally, one lucky entrant will receive a small care package of Freddos*. (They cost 25 pence now. Outrage).

I remember when they were 3p

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Harmless NPCs are still clay pigeons so there's that. The ones with high end combat ranks are Serious Business though.

Really I think payouts should be NPC rank based more than NPC ship based.

That'd be nice, though sometimes I've found a smaller ship like an FAS or FDL pay double over an Master Anaconda so who knows.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Some sort of multiplier of the two would work for me.

This would be nice, yeah.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
since pinning an engineer recipe that needs stuff from a shipwreck, only 2 out of 30 signal sources checked have been shipwrecks. both contained nothing but toxic waste

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Not sure if pinning a recipe was meant to tilt the odds in your favor, but jesus christ they really ought to make it that way. They already do a similar thing for the surface missions.

The different ways to get materials are fun, and the description hints for specific materials are reasonable, but being at the mercy of the RNG to get the right type of USS or surface POI is just too much. The closest I've gotten to having some degree of control was repeatedly visiting a persistent "Seeking Weapons" source and murking the respawning Type-9's for chemical processors/fabricators/whatevers.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Engineers sounds absolutely horrible.

Perhaps we need a game developer that's not autistic and obsessed with tedious crap to make a space game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toops posted:

Engineers sounds absolutely horrible.

Perhaps we need a game developer that's not autistic and obsessed with tedious crap to make a space game.

:allears:

I love the hysteria in this thread it goes from "there's some issues" to hyperventilating and meltdowns in like zero seconds.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I love the hysteria in this thread it goes from "there's some issues" to hyperventilating and meltdowns in like zero seconds.
At this point only extreme autists play this game anyway, so you sort of have to expect a meltdown.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm shamefully biased towards fdev, but this does seem to have spun out of nowhere for a release that didn't really make anything worse. Engineers simply didn't fix the existing problems that we've bean moaning about for ages now, and neither did every update before it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Bhodi posted:

At this point only extreme autists play this game anyway, so you sort of have to expect a meltdown.

I'm not autistic?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm shamefully biased towards fdev, but this does seem to have spun out of nowhere for a release that didn't really make anything worse. Engineers simply didn't fix the existing problems that we've bean moaning about for ages now, and neither did every update before it.

By the sound of it, it's made the grind worse; it has broken a few more missions; and it has made ratting worse.

The only actual gameplay that seems improved in any way is exploration, due to some of the QoL module upgrades engineers have on offer.

Granted, none of that was really out of nowhere so… :shrug:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I'm not autistic?

You should probably seek a second opinion on that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they really need to give players some more avenues of ship-to-ship interaction besides "shoot"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

You misread my tone, friend. I'm absolutely loving this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toops posted:

You misread my tone, friend. I'm absolutely loving this.

Funny that's not how you were posting at all

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Back in the '90s, there was a much simpler space game series for Mac called Escape Velocity. It looked like poo poo compared to E:D, but it also had plenty of fluff for missions/encounters/story. I can't remember much about those games, but I can still recount fun missions they threw in. They didn't have awesome rewards or require a lot of extra programming. They just needed a decent writer with a sense of humor.

Escape Velocity: Nova was one of the first that I started gaming with. Beta tested the windows version. Only 2D, but drat it was a fun spacegame. It had interesting story, well done missions, and some really nice combat mechanics. Hiring truckers or fighter pilots for your fleet was cool, and you could launch your own short range fighters/bombers. Some outfitting options were exploitable as hell though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I haven't played this in forever, since like before the first major patch. But I finally have a computer capable of running this plus Oculus, so I want to fly around in space a bit. Is there anything major I need to know for jumping back in? For space trucking, is there any good way/external site for finding a decent route these days?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got an email that the new update is out.

What do you do for it, is it super grindy, need :effort: post.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Strategic Tea posted:

They fixed some of the loopholes people were using to get around the grind and hunting NPC bounties has become enormously more dangerous and time consuming without any form of compensation.

Even totally overlooking the entire Engineers mechanic, the game is now harder, grindier, and less enjoyable for many people than it was before the update.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

I'm not autistic?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's pretty insulting to people who are actually on the spectrum to equate not getting hysterical about an update for a space video game with a mental illness.

Like the sequence goes "this is literally the worst thing ever!" -> "it's not that bad" -> "lol ur autistic".

Grow up.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 28, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Force the developer to stream themselves playing their game normally" is always a good idea/threat.

"X game is great! It's wonderfully balanced and just right in challenge and risk vs reward-what, stream myself playing a legitimate fresh start for 7 hours and keep the footage archived for public viewing? Uhh, go gently caress yourself-I mean, the game speaks for itself!"

Making the lead dev publicly play their game from scratch isn't enough. You have to have the results put on accessible public display to properly put the "Is your game, actually FUN to normal people?" gun to their head.

Sure there will always be the people who unironically think hammering nails into their testicles is a proper difficulty curve, but it would certainly help keep more people well informed than, than screaming at eachother whether or not "So my Milspec ship died in literally 2 seconds to rando NPC" is overkill or "Still too easy for casuals".

PS Brigador is sweet and is being properly launched out of EA soon. Granted, it's an isometrich tank controls game, but that's a good example of Devs showcasing their cool looking work.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

It's pretty insulting to people who are actually on the spectrum to equate not getting hysterical about an update for a space video game with a mental illness.

Like the sequence goes "this is literally the worst thing ever!" -> "it's not that bad" -> "lol ur autistic".

Grow up.

Look at this guy with his punctuation and multiple sentences about a topic. Must be autistic lollllllllllllllllllllllll

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shine posted:

Look at this guy with his punctuation and multiple sentences about a topic. Must be autistic lollllllllllllllllllllllll
Around the turn of the 21st century there was a major paradigm shift in medical industry in the way autism was diagnosed.

They threw out all that complex behavioural analysis, now all you need to do is consult this simple chart:
code:
Did they disagree with you on the internet?

No: Cool dude.
Yes: What a loving autist.
This test can also be used to determine if someone lives in a basement, if they're a virgin, or if they like sucking donkey cocks. It's pretty amazing, and 100% accurate.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Around the turn of the 21st century there was a major paradigm shift in medical industry in the way autism was diagnosed.

They threw out all that complex behavioural analysis, now all you need to do is consult this simple chart:
code:
Did they disagree with you on the internet?

No: Cool dude.
Yes: What a loving autist.
This test can also be used to determine if someone lives in a basement, if they're a virgin, or if they like sucking donkey cocks. It's pretty amazing, and 100% accurate.

Now this was the cool rear end lore I was looking for!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Section Z posted:

"Force the developer to stream themselves playing their game normally" is always a good idea/threat.

"X game is great! It's wonderfully balanced and just right in challenge and risk vs reward-what, stream myself playing a legitimate fresh start for 7 hours and keep the footage archived for public viewing? Uhh, go gently caress yourself-I mean, the game speaks for itself!"

Making the lead dev publicly play their game from scratch isn't enough. You have to have the results put on accessible public display to properly put the "Is your game, actually FUN to normal people?" gun to their head.

Sure there will always be the people who unironically think hammering nails into their testicles is a proper difficulty curve, but it would certainly help keep more people well informed than, than screaming at eachother whether or not "So my Milspec ship died in literally 2 seconds to rando NPC" is overkill or "Still too easy for casuals".

PS Brigador is sweet and is being properly launched out of EA soon. Granted, it's an isometrich tank controls game, but that's a good example of Devs showcasing their cool looking work.
I guess it couldn't possibly go any worse than Chris Roberts playing Star Citizen :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nightwisher posted:

I guess it couldn't possibly go any worse than Chris Roberts playing Star Citizen :v:
David Braben's been spotted (and murdered!) in open quite a few times. If you see a CMDR Braben, it's actually him.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dabir posted:

Funny that's not how you were posting at all

You're right, I'm not loving this. I'm shaking my head at Frontier for doubling down on their pursuit of shallow gameplay. I'm not gonna play another minute of Elite until they can answer the question: "Why bother upgrading my ship?"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Toops posted:

You're right, I'm not loving this. I'm shaking my head at Frontier for doubling down on their pursuit of shallow gameplay. I'm not gonna play another minute of Elite until they can answer the question: "Why bother upgrading my ship?"

You don't. I need you in a small ship and advance thrusters so we can buzz a station and kill tiny ships to get a bounty and weaken a faction. Buzz as in, if you are too slow and lovely a pilot, the station will blow you up. They can't kill what they can't catch.

Our original faction is in good shape now, but needs strengthening in a nearby system. Trading, missions, all kinds of things an upgraded ship would be good for. Scans you can get from just trading in a shipping lane. Looks for parts, overbuy, trade with other people who might have parts you need to appease the engineers. Half the grind can be elimited with simple coordination, and we have the systems to do exactly that already in place.

Solo, Group, Open, whatever your play style, we probably have something to do that would be cool and fun and work towards a goal.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Given The Engineers is part one of four mini addons to the game I'm suspecting Frontier kind of has bitten of a bit more than they can chew, they have admitted Engineers were supposed to give missions for parts but this was dropped for a loot system owing to time.

Also the bigger issue with The Engineers is not so much the grind, which arguably is more of a timesink than anything, as finding five items is pretty low compared to other crafting games I've played, but the fact the majority of the playerbase are out of things to do and are sitting around with hundreds of millions in the bank and a small fleet at their disposal. Granted that makes much of the job easier as you can easily create a multi task ship tailored to looting but still it's ho hum as you learn where the hell one can find Arsenic.

As someone suggested having a player commodity exchange would give some purpose to the grind as you can sell off your excess loot.

I kind of feel The Commanders or The Guardians should have come first into the roadmap as from what I'm reading they add a bit more flavour that the general playerbase could use and multi-crew and fighters kind of is a better Horizons sale incentive than top-end-kit that only the best can grind.

The only real incentive to upgrade with Engineers weapons is to get better at combating the now difficult Hazrez where you will get creamed by a wing of Adders.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm about 3k ly from Sag A* at the moment so it's gonna be a long while before I can play with the Engineers stuff. Bookmarks are nice though!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you were talking to someone who was on the fence about Horizons before, your advice now would be?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

DreadLlama posted:

If you were talking to someone who was on the fence about Horizons before, your advice now would be?
Wait till The Commanders releases around the end of the year.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

DreadLlama posted:

If you enjoy what the base game has right now, horizons 2.1 adds things to gather while doing the other activities you'd already be doing. In the case of almost everything planetside, it adds a reason to actually do them apart from fun - you get materials out of them.

This patch didn't fundamentally alter anything about the game tho, so if you were looking for that then you're out of luck.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*neurodevelopmental disorder :buddy:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Chrysophylax posted:

If you enjoy what the base game has right now, horizons 2.1 adds things to gather while doing the other activities you'd already be doing. In the case of almost everything planetside, it adds a reason to actually do them apart from fun - you get materials out of them.

This patch didn't fundamentally alter anything about the game tho, so if you were looking for that then you're out of luck.

Except the AI now has superweapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

Except the AI now has superweapons.

No, see, a Cobra MKIV hounding you Milspec ship like the terminator until you desperately escape into a station as it takes the combined might of the station guns and security forces to kill it just means you need to raise your skill ceiling, stop mindlessly grinding, and saying anything otherwise just means you are a salty.

• Locked thread