Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Will a bola match from Cody be better than Bryan Meyers' bad one

i was there live and despite being the best in the world aj styles was the lesser half of that match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That's fair it's just insane that BITW AJ had a bad match at bola

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

"the streamers thing" that's the most i've ever liked cody rhodes

I read it as "The Steiners thing," and thought Cody was going to Scott and Rick's Shoney's. Now I'm disappointed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

booking AJ in an indies singles tournament while he was IWGP champ was kind of a silly thing to do

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think PWX uses Bennett...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Don't see jax Dane on that list SMH

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
https://twitter.com/WadeBarrett/status/736695586880114692

Why do WWE ever let these people go :allears:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

WWE never did anything with them in the first place, so I'm glad they're free and can do crazy poo poo like make hit lists with the artistic filter on.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wade barrett is me if i were tough, funny and less hosed up looking

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Dumb indie geeks
https://twitter.com/RonFunches/status/736578046883303430
https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/736707346626289666

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Will a bola match from Cody be better than Bryan Meyers' bad one

That match was fine until the finish, and the trios match he had on the third day was fun

oatgan posted:

i was there live and despite being the best in the world aj styles was the lesser half of that match

He managed to have a bad match with Roddy Strong that weekend, in the summer of 2014. Even with the screwjob finish, how

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That loving Ricochet Ospreay match

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah, I don't see this working out for PBR

https://twitter.com/PabstBlueRibbon/status/736305632815554561

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it already did

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Oh. Then nevermind. WWE are morons.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Look out chuck taylor and apsouthern

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Man, shut the gently caress up Vader

https://twitter.com/itsvadertime/status/736800547156545541

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
if he watched the actual match he'd know that there was a drat story to it

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What's he talking about?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

What's he talking about?

The Ricochet-Will Ospreay match. He was bitching earlier because they had a 2 minute spot to start it off that was both of them trying to out show off each other with highflier stuff and Vader was pulling the old man "loving THIS GENERATION and RUINING MY WRESTLING" poo poo about it, although he obviously didn't watch more than that two minutes

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/WadeBarrett/status/736695586880114692?s=09

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Top of the page bud

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'll just post that moment from the Ospreay/Ricochet match people are talking about. Incidentally, this is probably one of the most popular tweets @SenorLARIATO has ever posted, if not the most.
https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO/status/736161744708603904

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I had no idea until just now that I need to see Ron Funches hanging out with New Day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AMReese posted:

I'll just post that moment from the Ospreay/Ricochet match people are talking about. Incidentally, this is probably one of the most popular tweets @SenorLARIATO has ever posted, if not the most.
https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO/status/736161744708603904

Pfft, I could do what both of those guys are doing easily. :rolleyes:

We're watching the guys in the white shirts in the second row, right? :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ricky Steamboat Vs Ric Flair was called a spotfest with no psychology back in 1978.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I don't think its wrong to think something can both be really impressive but also too choreographed

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hace posted:

I don't think its wrong to think something can both be really impressive but also too choreographed

Agreed, that's why Savage vs Steamboat doesn't count as a good match.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ricky Steamboat Vs Ric Flair was called a spotfest with no psychology back in 1978.

Thanks Dave Meltzer!

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/736769718573367296

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's psychology there in that it's establishing the two as being evenly matched as flippy dudes. Still I'm bored with it. Reminds me a lot of the Jerry Lynn / RVD spot fest from late-era ECdub, but not nearly as good because it appeared that they were performing modern dance rather than tryna do moves at each other. Like if I wanted insane feats of acrobatics I'd watch that CMLL match with Dragon Lee I think it was? Last year, or the better LU spotfests which have the advantage of very careful editing to put across the point that bodies are being spun around for reasons other than the demonstration of bodily grace.

I might just be odd in that I've seen similar dance routines and like them. I just want different stuff out of my wrestling matches. This also applies to spots like the tower of doom superplex that Cesaro always does in multimans, it's super contrived and yet lacks the comedic punch that always makes the big swing worth watching.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 29, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Another contrast would be something like the technical exchange between Tyson Kidd and Neville in one of their NXT matches, which serves the same psychological purpose and is also clearly choreographed but more clearly establishes that the two are engaged in a match that will be won by something other than a judge's panel decision.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There is no endgame to "they aren't doing anything to try and win/hurt the other guy" argument

Literally everything in wrestling is less effective than taking a guy down and punching him in the head

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

There is no endgame to "they aren't doing anything to try and win/hurt the other guy"

Literally everything in wrestling is less effective than taking a guy down and punching him in the head

great khali had it all figured out

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

There is no endgame to "they aren't doing anything to try and win/hurt the other guy" argument

Good thing the dudes are in a dance performance rather than a wrestling match!

Wrestling isn't a great venue for hard sci fi varieties of sperg. MMA storytelling is for people who absolutely contest all contrivance. Wrestling allows for bullshit, it just has to run through its plot points in a satisfying fashion.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 29, 2016

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I can suspend my disbelief for a lot of wrestling bullshit, and I don't ask that wrestling be realistic, but I do want it to be something other than a masturbatory gymnastics routine. If your match opens with the indie standard of trading wristlocks and armdrags into a double kip-up and stand-off, my brain is switching off and your match is getting -5* from me. If you're going to rehearse a spot, try to not make it look too perfect and convoluted. If your spot involves more than one guy doing one backflip/corkscrew/cartwheel/whatever, it's probably too much.

Basically every match should be Kevin Nash vs Scott Steiner.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Vince MechMahon posted:

Agreed, that's why Savage vs Steamboat doesn't count as a good match.

I didn't realize I said choreography is bad!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there is literally zero middle ground between Ospreay/Ricochet and Big Daddy/Haystacks Calhoun, you have to pick one or the other

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll take Big Daddy/Haystacks Calhoun for 2000.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Matt Sydal wrestles Cheex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you watch MMA / do any combat sports / have ever seen a real life fight / have an ounce of intelligence, all wrestling looks contrived and pantomime as gently caress, INCLUDING old poo poo and strong style NJPW stuff. So, to me, if you want me to pay attention to your wrestling match, toss in all the flips in the world. That's what wrestling is all about & that's it's major positive.