Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jose posted:

how do they keep someone with all might level strength locked up though

We've already seen at least one guy who can copy quirks temporarily. If you can subdue AfO for just a little while you can have him copy AfO and steal AfO's quirks...possibly including AfO. Would those stolen quirks stick with the copycat after his copycatting ends, or would he lose them too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hey. Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God or Buddha, there is All Might.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bleremiah posted:

Final Getsuga Smash

"So this is the power of One for All? Not bad."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

The most important quest for the next chapter: What will All Might call this Smash?

Purple Mountain Majesties
Kansas City Bomber
Fifty-State Smash
9/11 Was an Inside Jab
Upper Peninsular Uppercut
The Three-Fifths Kidney Punch

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really want the final SMASH to be King Kamehameha Smash

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh wait, I have another one.

The Southpaw Will Rise Again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Not sure if AfO will survive, I think he will definitely be soundly defeated here. Either badly injured like before where he has to go into hiding or else, yea, somehow restrained.

I think the whole point of this fight is that All Might's last stand is going to have the exact opposite effect that AfO believes it will have. He thinks he is exposing All Might's true form and proving that the heroes are weak and this is going to lead to panic and fear. But in actually All Might is showing yet again what true heroism actually is by facing down AfO even when he is near death, and instead this is going to rally the heroes and cause a surge of support behind them as everyone tries to live up to his memory.

If he is defeated and heroes rally like you mention, he kind of needs to survive or else there's no longer any real dramatic tension in the comic. Tomura obviously needs guidance (and whatever quirks AfO gives him) to be a threat in the future, and unless AfO manages to escape or something that's not going to happen. It's already been made pretty clear that, minus AfO, the rest of the villains aren't really a threat for "hero society."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all for one is gonna survive but all might is questionable

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't get the impression AfO is dying here either. I can totally see him being able to gift All For One to Tomura in a similar manner to One for All being able to, and possibly with its collection of quirks. All Might is done for though, surely. Even if he doesn't die from this fight, he's probably going to be too injured to carry on as a hero coming out of this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can totally see All Might becoming bedridden as a result of this fight and Deku feeling guilty he wasn't able to inherit it in time to save him and All Might reassuring Deku that he can still teach him even if he can't stand up to do so.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

If he is defeated and heroes rally like you mention, he kind of needs to survive or else there's no longer any real dramatic tension in the comic. Tomura obviously needs guidance (and whatever quirks AfO gives him) to be a threat in the future, and unless AfO manages to escape or something that's not going to happen. It's already been made pretty clear that, minus AfO, the rest of the villains aren't really a threat for "hero society."

Well minus All Might he heroes are weakened too. I do think if my scenario plays out the villains will be underground recouping for awhile, but I'm sure AfO has some contingency plans and maybe even a way to pass on his powers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even if the villains lay low for a while, the All Might deterrence factor will probably be gone. Without that the Heroes will start to get overwhelmed. Meanwhile, we're following the story of the Heroes in training, who are mostly going to be blaming themselves and training like hell.

You could get a couple arcs of dealing with the fallout without having to fight the villain alliance.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh yeah definitely. Sorry I meant the villain alliance specifically would go underground to regroup.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Well minus All Might he heroes are weakened too. I do think if my scenario plays out the villains will be underground recouping for awhile, but I'm sure AfO has some contingency plans and maybe even a way to pass on his powers.

Eh, only the literal handful that came along for this suppression activity, only one of the casualties of which seems to have been a high ranking hero (Best Jeanist).

But yeah, it's possible that the loss of All Might (or even just the revealing of his weakness) will embolden villains and that current hero society relied heavily on him as a deterrent. There might be some really powerful but risk-averse villains out there who haven't acted because they know All Might would just defeat them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

We've already seen at least one guy who can copy quirks temporarily. If you can subdue AfO for just a little while you can have him copy AfO and steal AfO's quirks...possibly including AfO. Would those stolen quirks stick with the copycat after his copycatting ends, or would he lose them too?

He'd probably explode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If AM's number is up I get the feeling he's gonna go out like Optimus Prime did in Transformers The movie, ie: Take 1FA out but be put on his death bed from the effort.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
All Mights gonna get a solid heroic punch in and then get the poo poo kicked out of him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If there was going to be a time skip, after All Might's death would be the appropriate place.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Green Intern posted:

If there was going to be a time skip, after All Might's death would be the appropriate place.

Please god, anything but a time skip.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Please god, anything but a time skip.

my hero academia: shippuden chronicles

BELIEVE IT

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Slime posted:

my hero academia: shippuden chronicles

BELIEVE IT
Don't make me cut you.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
MHA had timeskips before

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

HenryEx posted:

MHA had timeskips before

I don't think the ten months as the start counts. That's just events happening over a long time period, which is fine.

I also think the time skips in Dragonball are fine too, since it's purely to advance time in the character's lives and very little of impact usually happens during them.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 28, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Don't make me cut you.

my dream is to be hokage the next all might

my new sensei will teach me oodama rasengan one for all

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't think the ten months as the start counts. That's just events happening over a long time period, which is fine.

I also think the time skips in Dragonball are fine too, since it's purely to advance time in the character's lives and very little of impact usually happens during them.

Yeah, I'd like to see Dragonball type skips for this shows.

I think my main problem with the Naruto timeskip was that he didn't really grow at all during the timeskip. It was like he was frozen in ice and dethawed with the same personality. In good shows the characters actually grow. And then we have Star Wars, Episode 2. *sigh*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd prefer if we literally just focused on the 3 school years instead of suddenly blowing by a bunch of it so we can have perfectly good character designs completely hosed up by bad time skip designs which has happened to almost every series that does this.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Change is scary :qq:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd be fine with a time skip tbh

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see Dragonball type skips for this shows.

I think my main problem with the Naruto timeskip was that he didn't really grow at all during the timeskip. It was like he was frozen in ice and dethawed with the same personality. In good shows the characters actually grow. And then we have Star Wars, Episode 2. *sigh*

yea naruto makes zero progress and basically just does the same stuff he always did so there's no point to the skip at all

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HenryEx posted:

Change is scary :qq:
Yes, and bad usually. That's what I'm saying.

Also the more I watch the dub the more I hear Morty in the guy doing Midoriya.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Someone hasn't been reading One Piece lately

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think Allmight is going to live. Solely because it's way too predictable for him to die here, no doubt he won't be able to keep on fighting but I think he's going to at least survive this fight. I think All for One is going to live too, possibly die giving his powers up to his successor because at this point there doesn't seem to be much keeping ol' faceless alive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Whether or not a41 is able to pass on a41 and not just stolen quirks, he still hasn't given Shigaraki stolen quirks as he had planned. Death hands aren't terribly dangerous on their own so I kind of doubt that Shigaraki is much of a threat to Deku even now. In other words, a41 kind of has to survive in order to make Shigaraki into Deku's archenemy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Shigaraki's power is at present "destroy anything he can grab". Nasty, sure, but in a world where everyone has superpowers, a person who only has that power and nothing else to let them actually get their hands on all the super people, other than being rather physically capable going by his past feats, is... Well, I guess it depends. Shigaraki claimed he could have probably killed twenty or thirty people at the mall before being subdued, and we don't really have any reason to doubt him there, but against trained heroes, even ones without One For All or something like Todoroki's quirk, and it's not too spectacular. For fighting, at least; he's also done things like destroy the Yueii gate, something designed specifically to keep out people with powers, and atomized Stain's knife in a couple of seconds. It's speculation, but I bet there isn't a limit on what he can destroy with his touch if he can disintegrate metal that easily, and particularly metal things meant to keep out people with super strength and the like. Also means that someone like Kirishima or Tetsu^4 may as well not have a power, at least for defensive purposes, against him.

Anyone who can fight from a distance and keep that distance is going to give him a hard time, let alone someone like All Might or what Deku will eventually be. He's developing himself on the mental side of things rather well, but there's no way he's going to be an entirely hands-off (pun unintentional) villain, which means he's almost definitely getting an upgrade at some point; even if he's rather dangerous to anyone who needs to fight physically, like Deku does, his power just isn't going to stack up to OFA.

Tangent from this, people were wondering if Shigaraki was given his quirk by AFO or not. I'm betting he was born with it; the way he handles things so as to not accidentally destroy them, not clasping his hands together, and other little things like that suggest that he's at least had the power long enough to get used to it, and other people who've grown up with their powers (like, say, Uraraka, who activates her quirk the same way he does) likewise demonstrate habits and quirks related to them. He could just be a fast learner, but it's clearly second nature to him to handle things so as to not unintentionally destroy them, which implies familiarity with his ability.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 29, 2016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
To further talk about the new episode (9). Cutting Shigaraki's line about murdering children at the end deflates the ending a little bit, instead of the stake raising in the original. Future Deku's narrating also undercuts the moment. To this point there hasn't been a real villain, and Shigaraki pontificating about killing All Might in his last appearance is a bit too abstract to be threatening.

Also, while I really do like the villain music cue it feels like it'd be a lot more appropriate for All for One as opposed to Shigaraki at this point. It's a bit too epic. I think Shigaraki's theme should be more akin to a horror movie soundtrack. I still really do like the piece and can understand wanting to bust it out here.

Finally, Horikoshi's version of Shigaraki peeking in his head vastly outclasses this version, but I didn't expect them to do it justice. I'd post it in the anime thread for reference, but I guess it's a bit big for that.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 29, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

LostRook posted:

To further talk about the new episode (9). Cutting Shigaraki's line about murdering children at the end deflates the ending a little bit, instead of the stake raising in the original. Future Deku's narrating also undercuts the moment. To this point there hasn't been a real villain, and Shigaraki pontificating about killing All Might in his last appearance is a bit too abstract to be threatening.

Also, while I really do like the villain music cue it feels like it'd be a lot more appropriate for All for One as opposed to Shigaraki at this point. It's a bit too epic. I think Shigaraki's theme should be more akin to a horror movie soundtrack. I still really do like the piece and can understand wanting to bust it out here.

Finally, Horikoshi's version of Shigaraki peeking in his head vastly outclasses this version, but I didn't expect them to do it justice. I'd post it in the anime thread for reference, but I guess it's a bit big for that.

Given how rough a lot of shonen anime series are, I'm just thankful we're not at TOEI ANIMATION (One Piece/New Sailor Moon) levels of awful. I thought they'd at least colorgrade the villain intro to make it more moody, but you don't see that as often now a days, given animation budgets. But hey, this is the manga thread, so we all know the secret. Sometimes reading the manga is just flat out cooler :smug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Almost always, honestly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LostRook posted:

I think they might have cut Shigaraki's line because right before it is Black Mist mentioning that they know All Might was supposed to be there, according to the information from the previous day and all. They may want the revelation that the villains were behind the break in (I mean, even though the animated version made it even more obvious that Shigaraki's behind destroying the gate, so it's not like there's any mystery there) and are there specifically to kill All Might at the start of the episode where the battle begins, so it's all together.

I mean, personally I think leaving off on Shigaraki's manga line (or the kids reacting to it with horror, and Deku's narration about how bloodthirsty Shigaraki is) would have worked better too, and they open so often with clips from the previous episode so it's not like they couldn't have put it at the start of the next one anyway, but that's my current theory on why they did it differently.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Personally I'd like Shigaraki to die and let someone else take over as heir apparent, preferably someone with a chip on their shoulder about Quirks, Heroes and Villains and just wants normal people only. Be a good threat to Deku and the entire academy's collective dream. But that's just my dumb idea.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh remember that gas mask villain. Appearntly his name is Mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
An end to people with quirks would be an end to humanity. Quirks have been the status quo for longer than anyone has been alive. Even a41 was born after quirks first appeared. Basically, that is indeed a real dumb idea.