Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
My win/loss ratio is slightly above 50%. I'm happily mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would not be surprised if they waited a at least a whole WEEK after launch to start tweaking numbers. Get more time to settle in and separate the salt from the spreadsheet.

On the note of nerfs, It's always going to be hard to "Nerf" a head clicker because in the end no matter what their secondary options or personal health bar is? They will still be able to click heads and just erase anyone not conveniently above oneshot territory.

"Eventually, after much revision and furthering the lore, Widowmaker has been reduced to a cybernetic brain in a jar wired to a sniper scope with underbarrel grappling hook. She has 1 HP."

*Forums flooded about the OP nature of sniper brain*

Not that I'm fan of getting annihilated by those who possess my greatest weakness. Good Aim.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 29, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sure, they could lower her health, reduce the charge speed of the sniper, reduce her FoV even more, nerf quickscoping, nerf the mg portion, make her reload more often... Those are a few I can think of without nerfing her sniping damage.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Grammaton posted:

My win/loss ratio is slightly above 50%. I'm happily mediocre.

Hovering from 50-60 per cent means the matchmaking is doing its job, I doubt even pro players will reach anything higher.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I th ink a lot of things that would go a long way towards helping balance Widow and ROadhogg would be nerfing the aoe effect of their shots. THeir hit scan radius is pretty big. I see a lot of clear misses that end up being hits because the game is pretty forgiving. I feel like McCree and Mei have to really aim for that head, but Widow and Road don't so much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why would roadhog need a nerf.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Sure, they could lower her health, reduce the charge speed of the sniper, reduce her FoV even more, nerf quickscoping, nerf the mg portion, make her reload more often... Those are a few I can think of without nerfing her sniping damage.

Correct. You never had the sort of problems you have with Widowmaker in TF2, because the Sniper's damage and reload speed was balanced around the assumption that you were making each and every shot count as much as possible instead of clicking like a maniac.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Hovering from 50-60 per cent means the matchmaking is doing its job, I doubt even pro players will reach anything higher.

Actually since you can group in parties of 6 I feel like they will be a lot higher than 55% depending on how often they stack with their team.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I th ink a lot of things that would go a long way towards helping balance Widow and ROadhogg would be nerfing the aoe effect of their shots. THeir hit scan radius is pretty big. I see a lot of clear misses that end up being hits because the game is pretty forgiving. I feel like McCree and Mei have to really aim for that head, but Widow and Road don't so much.

That's because you don't understand the client side hit detection that 20 tick rate servers have and how that doesn't ever match up with the POTG clips due to the way the clips are constructed in the engine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

Correct. You never had the sort of problems you have with Widowmaker in TF2, because the Sniper's damage and reload speed was balanced around the assumption that you were making each and every shot count as much as possible instead of clicking like a maniac.

Also sniper in tf2 had screen shake which widow does not for some baffling reason.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

all that screen shake is dampened by the size of her butt

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

Also sniper in tf2 had screen shake which widow does not for some baffling reason.

Her heels have stabilizers and her butt acts as a counterweight.

e: goddamn it

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

It's been ages since I played TF2 so I've forgotten what exactly you're referring to with "screen shake", but when I'm scoped as Widowmaker I definitely have my view rattled around if I'm being shot.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I actually got complimented for my healing skills today and was offered actual advice from the opposing team rather than "git gud". Overwatch community is already league ahead of any other FPS community I've played with.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GreyPowerVan posted:

They could just get rid of her because snipers are the worst and I hope all sniper players die irl

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mei is a loving enemy spy.

Delete her so I don't have to play another 5v7.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Macaluso posted:

They could just get rid of her because snipers are the worst and I hope all sniper players die irl

Snipers are cool and good actually, but only when they have to actually be accurate and are at a disadvantage when jumped.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Mei is a loving enemy spy.

Delete her so I don't have to play another 5v7.

Counterpoint: Mei owns

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mei is polite enough to usually let you watch them line up their headshot :buddy:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Pakled posted:

Counterpoint: Mei owns

Counter counter point:

Mei walled in our symmetra costing setup time, walled in our medic killing her, walled in my grenades, walled me in with a Roadhog, and got POTG because she pressed Q once and had the nerve to go "saved the team"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
if they don't make it so Symmetra can stick turrets on her teammates' heads, then this game is bullshit

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Countblanc posted:

yeah each hit is 40 damage and pushes people away, it definitely isn't going to kill people who aren't already hurt or who have literally zero escape/disable tools. its purpose is mobility/stalling and i guess pushing the aforementioned no escape people into pits when applicable
Does the jump landing do any damage? He breaks my junkrat steel traps instantly. idk how to get away if I'm in, say, lijiang towers he just rocket juggles me to death with his fists against a wall . The mine isn't even a guaranteed escape.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

tetsuo posted:

Symmetra but only because of limited scope. I can't find a use for her outside of placing harassment turrets on stage 1 defense, where she admittedly owns. KOTH maps or offense I just don't even know.

Yeah the shields are cool and the teleporter is nice but redundant if/when the opposing team caps - it's too hard to get around behind them to place another and 1v1 with almost anyone is certain death. I have gotten some decent kills but I think anyone skilled would take her out.

Then again I may just be horrible. :shrug:

On KotH maps, Symmetra can be pretty good - on the condition that your team can push the enemy off the point on the first push. You need time to get your turrets set up. If the enemy captures and your team can't break through on the first push, switch to someone else immediately.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Countblanc posted:

the only reason tracer isn't in that list is because mccree and widow currently are, and she has a higher execution level to not be awful (at least compared to mccree). if those two get brought down than they need to seriously consider doign the same for tracer or else 2x winston is going to be a mandatory part of every comp once people arent awful

Yeah Tracer can be quite up there on that bullshit list since she can run someone down and by the time they realize its Tracer they're at like 40 health. Although she has to has to be way more aggressive and you can generally hear her coming.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What do medals mean exactly? Are they 1st through third place? So a gold medal in a category means you were team leader there?

If so, losing a payload map with gold damage of 1700 is the most :negative: thing there is.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
try watching the chill bros play overwatch. I dare you. https://www.twitch.tv/b3n_5mash

I loving DARE YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Totally TWISTED posted:

That's because you don't understand the client side hit detection that 20 tick rate servers have and how that doesn't ever match up with the POTG clips due to the way the clips are constructed in the engine.

I mean when I do it, it happens too. I'll be NEAR them with the hook and bam I got em. Same with Widow, they'll or I'll shot 3 times and miss miss mis oh that one hit haha. Eh..

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Busted out a sound barrier at the exact perfect time to negate a Zarya/Hanzo ult combo and felt like a boss. PotG was a Bastion 3k.

We won, so IDAGF. I just felt like a boss for several seconds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you dont understand flanking, crouching, and using cover, alleys and obstacles tactically to avoid feeding Widowmaker or Hanzo, play the maps as them and get a feel for their positioning. This will A] give you s better understanding of how to stay in cover & B] Help you get the drop on snipers. Before or during a big push, check your favorite perches and theres a good chance you can get the drop on a sniper all scoped in, as long as you dont trigger a snare.

TLDR: You are getting your head blown off because you are sticking your head out of cover, not because a 14 yr old no scope god has hacked ur dudes

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Counter counter point:

Mei walled in our symmetra costing setup time, walled in our medic killing her, walled in my grenades, walled me in with a Roadhog, and got POTG because she pressed Q once and had the nerve to go "saved the team"

Embrace the chaos bro, Mei owns

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i bought this dumb game and now im gonna play it

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Blizzard should implement a scoreboard. It should contextually show the most important team performance information, ie. if you're playing ranked with a coordinated 6 stack it brings up your actual score, and otherwise it brings up big red text that says "The score is: You are pubbie trash just like all the other pub trash players, there's no validation for you here."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Playing as Reaper, had Mercy in my sights, was about to pull the trigger when a friendly ice wall literally blocks my shot.

I wrote up a huge myspace post on why this was bullshit and how the world doesn't understand me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bust Rodd posted:

If you dont understand flanking, crouching, and using cover, alleys and obstacles tactically to avoid feeding Widowmaker or Hanzo, play the maps as them and get a feel for their positioning. This will A] give you s better understanding of how to stay in cover & B] Help you get the drop on snipers. Before or during a big push, check your favorite perches and theres a good chance you can get the drop on a sniper all scoped in, as long as you dont trigger a snare.

TLDR: You are getting your head blown off because you are sticking your head out of cover, not because a 14 yr old no scope god has hacked ur dudes

Literally everybody who has ever played an FPS knows this. That doesn't change the fact that sometimes you have to enter a snipers vision and no amount of spastic movement will save you if their aim is solid.

Plus its not like there's any visual indicator for where Widowmaker or Hanzo are aiming so barring obvious sniper alleys you won't know what they are up too until they've either missed or perforated your body.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Torbjorn is awesome on defense. The thing is, you shouldn't play him the way you play Engineer in TF2. Throw up a turret in a place where enemies will hopefully be distracted and then get out and go shoot people. Don't hesitate to move your turret a lot. You can't repair your turret fast enough to make it survive any kind of sustained damage, but your regular weapon is suprisingly powerful. Your alt fire should be your bread and butter attack, but when I see Torbjorns in killcams and potgs, they're almost always just using their primary fire exclusively, even at close range. Torb's alt fire is incredibly damaging even at medium range and even against smaller characters.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 29, 2016

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Heavy Metal posted:

Embrace the chaos bro, Mei owns

I used to hate on Mei a lot but then I got the "Sorry sorry sorry" voice line and discovered how dumb people are on temple to the point where you can just shoot icicles down the main road on the 2nd point and still headshot some fool at random.

It's real loving cathartic to icicle someone in the head while 5 opponents are standing on the point, jump on the point and ice block while everyone turns around to shoot at you and then get murdered from behind while you spam "Sorry! Sorry!"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

A laser on the location widowmaker is scoped in on might be a cool way of nerfing her and preventing the oh ya sick her ult was up kill cams where she just watches the corner at head level for whoever you are.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Genji is very fun. I'm terrible with all the other Offense characters aside from 76 (who I don't really have fun as) but somehow I'm getting halfway decent with Genji. Almost all defending teams having a Bastion or two with heavy trigger fingers definitely doesn't hurt.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Does anybody have advice for getting better at Genji without being a burden to my team? He's a lot of fun and I like playing him but I'm pretty bad at it and even when I do okay I can tell I could be doing a lot better and would probably be contributing more if I picked a character I'm more comfortable with like Tracer or McCree. The specific thing I find holding me back is really his shurikens; I'm relatively decent with hitscan but I've always had trouble with projectiles and the shurikens in particular are a fairly unusual weapon I can't exactly practice with except by playing Genji. I know that at the end of the day it really is just a matter of playing a lot until I get better at it, but is there anything specific I can do to improve my aim or at least compensate for my bad aim so I don't have to feel so bad about being a bad?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lady Naga posted:

Seagull is sitting at a 73% win rate currently. https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/us/Seagull%231894

But I guess Seagull is an outlier, lol.