Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm playing Paper Mario again. This is a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today in video games, I bought Stardew Valley. It's very charming so far. I just made it to the end of my first week and now I can see the appeal of these Harvest Moon-type games.

edit: Elliott is very handsome

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

Someone hasn't played Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong and should rectify that.

I started that game but paused in the tutorial and have yet to continue, I really should rectify that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I started that game but paused in the tutorial and have yet to continue, I really should rectify that.

You should. I'd say Dragonfall, Human Revolution, and og Syndicate are my favorite cyberpunk games. If CDRedProjekt can do the genre justice, I'll be happy as a clam.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Anybody else get the new localization Romancing Saga 2? I'm not a huge fan of playing RPGs with a touchscreen, but I'm willing to put up with it since I enjoyed the series so much when I was growing up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Harrow posted:

My favorite fantasy stories are the ones that dig deep into folklore and fairy tale, which is why I love books like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell so much, or pretty much everything Witcher.

Have you read any Hellboy? That stuff is rich with fairy tale madness.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hellboy does the whole "story about stories" thing way better than something like Sandman or most of Gaiman's work does, because Hellboy actually follows folklore structure way better, while people who write in Gaiman's style are too focused on making it feel like a monomyth or whatever.

Everyone should read Hellboy, its really good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are there any JRPGs on PC that are actually good?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Depends on how wide your definition is. Lots of Square and SEGA ports, Trails in the Sky & SC, Valk Chronicles if you count SRPGs, Ys Oath & Origins for aRPGs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like modern fantasy a lot; I'd love to see a Witcher-scale game set in something like the setting for China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Something emphasizing vertical space rather than just open space perhaps.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My hope is that From Software continues to iterate on Souls mechanics while delivering games in different settings and with different quirks of their own, like Bloodborne, which was great.

It'd be neat to see their take on something like urban fantasy or a modern post-apocalyptic setting.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I don't want to a From game set in modern times since they are so good at creating strange worlds. I'd rather see their take on a post apocalyptic cyberpunk future.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of souls games, I just discovered that the wheel stuff is based on a real form of execution https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_wheel. I knew it was lifted from the executioners in Beserk but holy poo poo they used to do that in real life :catstare:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't want to a From game set in modern times since they are so good at creating strange worlds. I'd rather see their take on a post apocalyptic cyberpunk future.

I want a From game that's totally contemporary, and instead of the theme of dying over an over again, it's doing thankless, worthless jobs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Are there any JRPGs on PC that are actually good?

LISA and Undertale.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It'd be cool if From took the converging lands concept from DS3 and applied it to time travel. Sort like Chrono Trigger but instead of traveling between times, there are areas from different eras juxtaposed together and interacting with each other. So you'd have stuff like a future society experimenting on early the earliest forms of life and creating monsters. A medieval castle fighting off attacks from modern military forces. Cavemen using plundered Soviet munitions.

I just really enjoyed the idea behind DS3's setting and want to see them get weird with it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have been playing Brawlhalla lately. Is OK.

Its really fun just running around the map and throwing your weapons away constantly so you can grab bombs and mines and just sticking around the edges to get opportunist kills. You get a lot of complaints about how you are not "fighting" despite getting the most kills lol.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

I want a From game that's totally contemporary, and instead of the theme of dying over an over again, it's doing thankless, worthless jobs.
Stardew Valley

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm playing Indigo Prophecy for the first time in like a decade since I got the Remastered version in a bundle and they just added achievements. It's funny, when I originally played it I thought Tyler Miles was the weakest character because he was a walking collection of outdated black stereotypes and didn't really have anything to do with the main plot but now he's my favorite character because he's a genuinely decent guy and the only person who has a complete character arc in the whole game.

And his licensed music is a breath of fresh air in the quagmire of Theory of a Deadman songs on the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjdODmRD9m4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yo that rain I was talking about is finally coming down hard and it's very relaxing. Playing some Stardew Valley while listening to the rain owns and is good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the days in stardew valley pass way too quickly to get a real chill going. please sign my change.org petition of stardew valley 2 ideas

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wkHixS6iA

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

the days in stardew valley pass way too quickly to get a real chill going. please sign my change.org petition of stardew valley 2 ideas

I also feel this way. Maybe it's because I'm not extremely far in (about at the end of my first Spring) but I feel like the energy/food mechanic is totally useless because I am running out of time before I ever run out of energy. Even when I spend an entire day just standing still and fishing off a bridge or something, I only drain like 3/4ths of my energy bar.

edit: I'm also not sure why the game allows you to walk besides style points because time passes too quickly for a slow-paced walk to ever be useful

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/storm-and-smapi-timespeed-mod-configurable-day-lengths.107876/

Found a mod that apparently lets you change the lengths of days though I think? I'm not sure how modding Stardew Valley works

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 29, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hope every1 is having a cool Memorial Day weekend. I went to the bar with my friends from out of town last night and drank a lot for free, spent today recovering and playing Bayonetta 2. I can't imagine how annoying it would be to play Bayo 2 with the Wii U gamepad instead of a pro controller, but it's a crazy good game. I wish I didn't have to pay the couture bullet tax to wear the Bayonetta 1 costume, I like it better!

I'm glad I bought a Wii U, I had a ton of fun with Super Mario Maker as well.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bayonetta 1 costume best Bayonetta costume

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Besides Daisy Bayonetta

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the dress from the intro was rather elegant.

Guy Mann posted:

LISA and Undertale.

Just to add yes, both of these are good and interesting games. LISA is a little mechanically uneven and unfair in places partly in service to its themes, while Undertale is pretty easy unless you do a specific gimmick route which is tedious and annoying, but they're very creative.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 29, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I downloaded that Stardew Valley timescale mod and set it to about 3/4ths of the speed. The game is much more relaxed now, I like it better this way. I have also found myself saving food items instead of just dumping them in the sell box. If you play Stardew Valley, use that mod

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I was at the book store the other day, I saw this book.

"Fat Cat At Large's Amazon Page posted:

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES!

When she’s not dreaming up irresistible dessert bars for her Minneapolis treatery, Bar None, Charity “Chase” Oliver is running after her cat, Quincy—a tubby tabby with a gift for sniffing out edibles. But what happens when this cat burglar leads Chase to the scene of a real crime?

The jig is up for Chase’s adorable plus-size cat, Quincy. His new vet says “diet”—that means no more cherry cheesecake bars. From now on he gets low-calorie kibble only. But one taste of the stuff is all it takes to drive him in search of better things. Quincy’s escape is the last thing Chase needs after the nasty run-in she has with underhanded business rival Gabe Naughtly.

Chase tracks Quincy down in a neighbor’s kitchen, where he’s devouring a meatloaf, unaware of the much more serious crime he’s stumbled upon. Gabe’s corpse is lying on the kitchen floor, and when Chase is discovered at the murder scene, she becomes suspect number one. Now, with a little help from her friends—both human and feline—she’ll have to catch the real killer or wind up behind bars that aren’t so sweet.

Includes recipes for people and cats!

I thought maybe somebody might get some enjoyment out of this, I thought it was kinda funny that this exists. I ain't even mad. I just am glad somebody decided they wanted to write mysteries involving a fat cat and including recipes and stuff and then they actually went and wrote it. I looked up the author and she has only written 3 books, all of them being fat cat mystery books.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought maybe somebody might get some enjoyment out of this, I thought it was kinda funny that this exists. I ain't even mad. I just am glad somebody decided they wanted to write mysteries involving a fat cat and including recipes and stuff and then they actually went and wrote it. I looked up the author and she has only written 3 books, all of them being fat cat mystery books.

Sure, shut up, but how does Quincy feel about Mondays?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

is it ok for cats to eat cheesecake

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't believe quincy murdered gabe n

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I heard on NPR that not only are "Cat Mystery Novels" a thing, but the writers get into heated arguments over whether or not the cats should talk.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

I heard on NPR that not only are "Cat Mystery Novels" a thing, but the writers get into heated arguments over whether or not the cats should talk.

I really wish I wasn't into everything you just said here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

No Such Thing posted:

How many are either called "A Murder Most Meow" or "A Purrrfect Murder"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No Such Thing posted:

Oh

My god

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah guys I'm playing a lot of uh Splatoon lately *desperately tries to cover up heavily dog eared copy of "A Murder Most Meowl"*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

codenameFANGIO posted:

Oh yeah guys I'm playing a lot of uh Splatoon lately *desperately tries to cover up heavily dog eared copy of "A Murder Most Meowl"*

Uhh.... dog eared?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
To Skin a Cat - Its Silence of the Lambs, but you know, Buffalo Bill is a cat skinning cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Cat Who Sniffed Glue is a real book

• Locked thread